Skilled Healthcare Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Supportive team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Skilled Healthcare Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working here, as there were some good managers that could spot talent and provide great growth opportunities. Casual and friendly environment, yet still professional and on-task.

Cons

Seriously, none that I could speak of.

2. "It has been a good company until they were bought"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Charge Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Charge Nurse in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Good pay
    well structured management
    clear and concise goals

Cons

shortage of employees. Suffered many times due to very employess

Advice to Management

keep the good job you are doing.

3. "Our company is very efficient"

Current Employee - CMA in Atchison, KS
    Current Employee - CMA in Atchison, KS

Pros

I love the Residents so much.

Cons

Short staff is one of the downsides.

4. "Getting Better and Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Skilled Healthcare Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New executive team has made a great difference in the focus of our business. We feel we are heading in the right direction and the company is being run like a business and no longer like a mom-and-pop operation.

Cons

Cons are from the last regime. Prior CEO and President lost sight of what we do and how to motivate employees. They were only focused on their bonuses, their stock, their image. Big decisions seemed arbitrary and unfair. New CEO and COO work closely with CAO and CFO -- it's like a new company. Feel very good about the direction and the focus on taking care of our patients.

Advice to Management

Keep employees involved and informed, and you will find we will stay engaged and motivated. While it is rumored on the street that we will be merging with another company, your employees feel confident that you value us enough to take care of us. All we ask is for management to be considerate and recognize that we will eventually be back on the market looking for other employment, sans departure bonuses ... RIF packages would help and would show us that you are thinking of more than yourselves. In return, we will give you our all until the end.

"Chaotic, disappointing, cheap"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Skilled Healthcare Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some of my co-workers are good people.

Cons

The worst benefit package I have ever experienced as a nurse since 1993. Poor management, and too many LPN's and not enough RN's running unit's, Copy machine breaks daily but the company won't replace, no computers, no email in 2014!!!

Advice to Management

Replace all the management because whatever they are doing ain't working.

"A learning experience"

Former Employee - Upper Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Skilled Healthcare Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is fair if your not a service employee, many nice people work there

Cons

Benefits are expensive, even for upper management, budgets are high so difficult to get bonus

Advice to Management

Your stock is very low for a reason, making more money is not the answer, you need to trim the fat at the top and reduce CEO, president and other board members bonuses as they probably equal the company profit this is all public information. Stock symbol; SKH.

"I'd give them ZERO Stars if I could!!!"

Current Employee - Nursing Aid in Rossville, KS
    Current Employee - Nursing Aid in Rossville, KS

I have been working at Skilled Healthcare Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work for any company in this field and you're there for the right reasons-the residents/patients are the biggest reward. Making a difference in a person's life should be everyone's priority.

Cons

Money hungry corporate, lack of concern for resident/patient needs, corruption clear to the top, horrible health benefits, lying, cheating, documents magically disappearing or being destroyed

Advice to Management

This is NOT the right business to be in if you're only concerned with financials. When it comes to caring for someone their needs should always come first and I'm not talking about extravagant requests here!

8. "Decent Place to Work"

Pros

I was treated very well there. I was challenged, given growth opportunities and worked well with other departments

Cons

It was not for everyone. Some managers were very good and others very bad. Typical of the industry, benefits were below average.

9. "Enjoy working with Skilled"

I have been working at Skilled Healthcare Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Caring culture, work life balance is good, executive team is approachable, sense of accomplishment contributes to overall satisfaction

Cons

Industry is in transition which has presented challenges to the company. In current financial environment, is more challenging to accomplish initiatives.

"It was a great learning experience for lack of resources and crazy expectations"

Former Employee - Business Office Manager
    Former Employee - Business Office Manager

I worked at Skilled Healthcare Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about the residents and their families, and you see that with the level of care. They have nice facilities and a diverse group of people.

Cons

They literally expect 1-2 people to run a business office for a large 145 bed facility and provide absolutely no resources; just the basic things. Their software is very outdated at least 10 years and they throw away money for out of town conferences and have been on a raise freeze for 2 years. They sent upper management out of town for a Christmas decoration contest and provided nothing to their employees.

Advice to Management

You say you care about your employees but don't act like it, and when a mistake is made the over reaction is nuclear even the small ones. You provide nothing and take everything and if you don't start keeping up with the rest of the country you will continue to bleed money. I say fire all the local management and get fresh ones in, they are all worried about gossiping and not taking care of anyone but each other because their all friends.