Skills Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Dunnington

1. "Skills - An awesome company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Skills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of the company aligns with my personal world outlook

Cons

I think that the company should make every decision with the mission in mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I applied because of the mission and remain because my fellow co-workers and management teams dedication to the company.

2. "Unequal work invironment"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Skills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are many extra perks if you work day but night shift and weekend shift really do not get the opportunity to participate. if you are friends or family of the owner you are treated like untouchable royalty (Charlie's angels) I am not.

Cons

some of the work people are made leads. Pay is not standard The trainer should not be paid less then the Trainee. HR is not there for the employees but there to in sure that the company will not be sued by miss treated Employees. And way to many Charlie's Angeles

Advice to Management

Stop sitting in your office in the dark watching us work (Very Creepy) and start helping the employees that really work hard. Stop barking that every thing is Late or HOT (not my fault you can't get the work done in time learn to prioritize and plan better. and stop hiring your friends and Family if they don't know or want to do the work you are wasting everyone's time. and way too many lies (promises in pay raises)

"Severe nepotism & favoritism."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballard, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballard, WA

I worked at Skills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of the people are nice, the social mission of the company is good, and the plant manager (Mike B.) that I worked for in Ballard really cared. My immediate supervisor was also really awesome.

Cons

Most of the money goes to the friends and family of the higher ups (ceo and his buddies) who are hired into made up positions with nice sounding titles and decent pay while the vast majority of the regular workers get paid the absolute minimum.

The QA dept is full of petty, lazy, inept, and incompetent people (save for a very small handful of specific individuals) who consistently fail to do their job and blame others for their mistakes, all while doing the minimum amount of work and complaining about how much they have to do, which is very little compared to most other company's QA positions.

Most of the people with disabilities that work there are great, but there are unfortunately also a lot of people (both with and without disabilities) who use any excuse to be lazy and collect a free paycheck while doing as little work as possible.

Finally, the people running the company have no idea what they're doing and constantly and consistently make terrible business decisions (like who they decide to hire and lay off, which shifts to close down or keep open, who to put in lead positions, moving people into minimum wage positions but letting them keep their $30/hr wage from when they used to be a supervisor, etc.). I don't expect them to stay in business much longer at this rate.

Advice to Management

Get a whole new set of upper management that won't hire their own families and friends into unnecessary positions; start paying better attention to stuff like people sleeping on the job (literally), not wanting to take responsibility for escapes when their entire/only job is to prevent them; and look into ways of better utilizing the employees you already have rather than hiring new ones that know less and need more training (look up "cross training").

5. "Amazing Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Saint Albans, ME
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Saint Albans, ME

I have been working at Skills (More than 8 years)

Pros

Skills, Inc is flexible, friendly, challenging at times, management is very appreciative of your efforts and willing to listen

Cons

Not allot of growth opportunities, pay is not very high for what we expect staff to do.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen, try to find ways to increase pay and make sure to continue to provide opportunities to the people we support

"Be careful whom you listen to"

Current Employee - Chemical Maintenance Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Chemical Maintenance Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Skills (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were the best part

Cons

The middle management was the worst part

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and listen often. Especially when they're NOT speaking.

"IT HW Lab Eng."

Current Employee - IT HW Lab Eng in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - IT HW Lab Eng in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Skills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning while working on cutting edge IT Hardware. Good pay. Flexible hours. Excellent benefits. Responsible for my own schedule.

Cons

IT Contracting work is not for everyone. Advancement can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Partner with more IT firms

"Worst company do to any work with"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Skills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have easy to use timecards (ADP), they don't bother you much when contracting.

Cons

Communications sucks, when it's time for the employee to get paid they are silent... I have been waiting to cash in my PTO for 2 months. That is definitely not right. They treat you like... dirt.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees please.

"cnc machinest"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Skills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you have a disability

Cons

if you don have a disability you will be treated unfairly and their pay scale does not match experiance

Advice to Management

hiring people that you will do no good if they don't work

"disgruttle emplyee"

Current Employee - Deburr Tech in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Deburr Tech in Auburn, WA

Pros

{pto} paid time off, you earn a couple hours every pay day. (two weeks)

Cons

wages r very low and don't reward hard workers. They walk all over their employees don't care. In fact thick its funny ! !

Advice to Management

reward employees that deserve it.

"Just a place to work not a place to advance."

Current Employee - Takedown in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Takedown in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Skills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with and relaxed work environment. Good schedule opportunity for positions. Food wellness program for people who are trying to live healthy.

Cons

The manager are not trained what so ever. They are promoted to manager just because they are friends with other managers.