Skillsoft Reviews in Manchester, NH | Glassdoor

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Skillsoft CEO and President Bill Donoghue
Bill Donoghue

Pros
  • Work from home; work life balance; LOTS of learning if you are proactive (in 27 reviews)

• Ability to work from home full time with limited travel requirements for the NYC territory (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance is nonexistent due to unrealistic deadlines (in 16 reviews)

• Work from home is no longer permitted (in 12 reviews)

1. "Dublin Office employee"

I worked at Skillsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Work from home opportunities. Nice staff. Nice building. Exciting projects

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what ye are doing. Management in general are good.

Skillsoft Response

Jan 26, 2017 – People@Skillsoft

Thank you for sharing your experience at Skillsoft, and for taking the time to do so even after having moved on to your next opportunity. We are excited about the path we are on, and will continue ... More

"Apply if looking for a paycheck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Skillsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

2-3 years ago I would be able to give a long list of pros. Back then you were not just a line item on the ceo's sheet trying to make monthly numbers. There was communication at all levels of management and employees had a opinion and direction.

Benefits are good now but that is always a year to year dynamic that could change when they see fit.

Cons

New redesign of the office is open concept "like google". Hope you end up with neighbors that don't talk on the phone all day or you will need some noise canceling headphones. Also don't excpect a bonus. Every quarter the CEO sends out a email that seems to be prepping us slowly for that email that we didn't make our numbers and will not be receiving a bonus.

Advice to Management

if there was a chance they would listen, I have a list but given their track record. I highly doubt outside of sales numbers, anyone on the executive team really cares about the keyboard warriors of the company.

"Constantly Changing"

I worked at Skillsoft full-time

Pros

The review title refers to pros and cons. I think the new management recognized the stress that so many acquisitions was having on the fundamentals of the business. Many customers had previously made decisions to go with another eLearning company after doing a comparison only to have Skillsoft acquire them. This is a tough battle to win back a customer's heart so all cylinders have to be firing correctly. Although the transitions were stressful, the Support and Engineering team continue to work hard ironing out the wrinkles.

Cons

At times there is too much emphasis taking care of the squeaky wheels. Large, loud or influential customers were able to steer the ship and this resulted in a lot of confusion within the products.

"What once was great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Skillsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to have a great work/life balance but that is slowly fading away to a more conservative, less productive, environment.

Cons

Embarrassingly uneducated management staff has taken this company into a downward spiral of poor decision making. It has transformed a once solid technological offering into a conglomeration of imported band aids from multiple corporate take overs of smaller companies where the influence of inexperience is shining through to the product offering.

Advice to Management

Leave. An agile company has no management. Source the jobs to experienced personnel.

"A dead-end company"

I worked at Skillsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's still a paycheck. The office location is pleasant; however there are plans to change that. You will see many older reviews that trend more positive than current reviews. You should sort reviews by date to get a current perspective.

Cons

Let me start by saying I left of my own choice for a much better opportunity. I'm not an angry ex-employee who was laid off or fired.

You can read other reviews about the new and incompetent CEO, the blood bath of senior management forced “retirements”, the lay-offs, the hiring of new senior management followed by rather quick resignations as they see the impossibility of working with the CEO, and other current happenings. They are all true and yes, it’s really that bad. I’m going to focus on the experience as an employee.

Before the upper management change I would have given the company 2 to 3 stars. Now I can only give them 1 star. It used to be an ordinary place to work, not outstanding in any way, but a stable employer in the Nashua area. There was no development for employees, so it was not a place to grow a career, but you could make a living. Training was non-existent. (Ironic for a company in the training industry) Raises were very rare and small. They did not even keep up with cost of living. The employee’s value to the company or in the market was not considered. Reviews were non-existent. They never happen despite a lot of talk. The company 401K contribution match was pitifully low and capped. There was a bonus program, but it had dwindling down to nothing and then was changed to be un-achievable. The benefits were average. The medical plan had good coverage but was expensive and there was only one option. Paid time-off is only two weeks. There were occasional opportunities to advance if you played the politics game well. It was typical corporate America.

The one outstanding thing was I happened to work in a group where the staff had a great dynamic. We worked well together, watched out for one another and made it a fairly pleasant place to go every day. About 40% of my group has voluntarily left. None were affected by lay-offs. Some would like to leave but are stuck there because of contracts or VISA status. This is not specific to my group; rampant resignations are company-wide. Those who left in my group did so solely because of the upper management changes. Morale is terrible. That should speak volumes to you. There is hiring going on to fill the vacancies, but they are hiring unqualified, in-experience people, because good resumes are just not coming in. Be aware that you will find almost no knowledge or experience and weak professional skills in many your co-workers if you should go work there.

The last comment I want to add is concerning the Human Resources department. I’ve worked for several decades in a number of companies and I’ve never seen an HR department as inept and unprofessional as the one at Skillsoft. I add this because, if you decide for some reason to ignore the reviews here on Glassdoor and apply, you need to know what you will be dealing with.

Let me close with my strong advice to avoid Skillsoft at this point in time. Good luck in your job hunt!

Advice to Management

I am not going to bother. They do not listen. They do not care.

"Not at the bottom yet!"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that come to mind. Getting 'laid off' was probably the best thing that's happened in the past 6 years.

Cons

Company has changed dramatically since new management took over. Most everyone I talk to has absolutely nothing to do since they're not part of the new project. If you haven't been invited to Boston, you're a second class citizen. We support the product that makes over 3/4s of the money but get shut out of all discussions. The new project is supposed to be done early next year and they don't have a team of developers yet. They won't use the inhouse talent and simply MUST bring in new, young, millennials ( read : cheap ) to do the work.

Of course, no work from home, no bonuses, poor compensation and an almost negative morale environment is not going to attract these millennial types...

Advice to Management

Just stop. Stop, take a moment and really think about where the company is going. Stop reinventing the wheel. Stop outfitting the chosen few with expensive toys and tools when they have no idea how to actually get the project started, let alone finished.

"EMPLOYEES are the Jewels in the Skillsoft Crown"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Skillsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers. Competitive benefits, access to online courseware and books, one of the offices in Nashua is located in an office park with many nice amenities like a cafeteria, onsite gym, walking paths, game room.

Unique benefits for massage therapy and gym membership reimbursement. Free coffee/tea, soda and popcorn.

Despite the fact that the Nashua office is in the heart of the high tech belt and there are plenty of other job opportunities, most people at the Nashua office have stayed because of their great co-workers and the quality of life flexibility that the company offered that allowed employees to work remote or work around childcare issues, appointments etc. (this benefit was revoked in January)

Cons

Despite the fact that the company is the business of corporate e-learning, it has never put any priority on providing training programs for its own employees. We sell to Chief Learning Officers, yet we don't have one. Employees have no learning or development plan.

We sell 'Human Capital Management' software that encourages customers to engage, develop and reward their employees, but no such attempt has ever been made at Skillsoft - in fact, we've never had a formal review process get successfully implemented. Raises are far and few between (an small), there's no visibility to job descriptions or career path mobility. There's NO concern for employee development and retention. HR has repeatedly ignored issues that have been escalated to them to the point that they are ineffective. They are out of touch with what's going on.

Although corporate culture has always been non-existent and communication from upper management to the ranks was minimal (unless you are in Sales), there was a change in the executive team in January that led to the beginning of the end of whatever morale still lingered. One of the first announcements from the new CEO was the ban on remote days and flex work hours. This, in itself, was a punch in the gut to the employees who viewed this benefit as one that allowed them to balance work and life.

After that, there was a series of new executive appointments, most being former colleagues of the new CEO. The budget for the new FY went unapproved for months, existing projects were cancelled or indefinitely postponed and there were murmurings of secret meetings in which the future of the existing product set as well as the development of new products were discussed.

There was absolutely NO communication to the troops from execs and upper management about what was going on and few of the seasoned employees and management were included. Rumors ran rampant and morale plummeted quickly as we heard more about the dismantling of the products and company that we knew and loved. People started looking for jobs and opening sharing information about job searches and job leads. Many people left the company. But things got even worse after the 3 rounds of very recent layoffs (even after the first 2, nothing was addressed by the execs/upper management)

Recently, there was a company meeting (the very first since the new CEO was appointed) and days after the largest layoff. Emotions were high and the wounds still raw. It was the perfect opportunity for him to reassure the remaining employees that they are valued and are an important part of the new vision of the company, but he totally missed the mark. Instead, he called the customers the jewels in the Skillsoft crown and talked about the product roadmap Not once did he acknowledge the value of the remaining employees. Not once did he address the white elephant: low morale. Not once did he talk about employee retention and what he intended to do to bring morale back, make/keep people happy, engage remaining employees in the new vision, to make the company a place that you might WANT to stay. People wanted and needed this reassurance and he couldn't even deliver. This was a big Town Hall FAIL!

Advice to Management

You've announced the new vision but in the past 5 months, you've alienated your employees but not communicating and being honest. It's probably too late, and perhaps your intent is to further reduce the workforce via attrition, but it is imperative that you focus on the real Jewels in the Skillsoft crown: Your employees.

People will continue to leave in droves unless you give them some reason to stay. You might think that millennials are the key to the future, but the employees that you have are invested, fiercely loyal, smart, adaptable, have business acumen and unlike millennials, they don't need to be entertained with video games, pool tables and other 'perks' to stay engaged. Millennials will be gone in 12-18 months taking all of their knowledge with them. They lack the business insight and experience. You've already got the talent you need to make the company strong again. We're right here. Invest in us. Don't blow it.

"Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, that's about it.

Cons

Lots of grumbling and discontentment. Daily workings are nearly a complete CF. Company has had so many mergers it is like a jigsaw puzzle which could fall apart any minute.

"Has potential, going down the wrong path."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Skillsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow co-workers are fantastic. They are the only reason for the two stars. I just hope things improve for their sake.

Cons

Everything else. The morale is low and nothing is really being done to address that. Raises are nonexistent. Bonuses are disappearing. There is no career development plan at all. There's no flexibility, so work/life balance, especially during quarter and year ends is awful. The company expects its employees to work long hours during those times, but is not willing to give any flexibility in return, which just breeds resentment. Stay away unless these issues are addressed.

Advice to Management

Give more flexibility. Allow work-from-home when necessary. Make annual raises based on performance a policy. Address the bonus issue. Create a career development plan. Allow summer hours when possible. And give new hires more vacation time to start. I guarantee these fixes will make people happier.

11. "Not Good."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Nashua, NH
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free soda. Free seltzer. Most flavors of soda and seltzer are available in a refrigerated case. Easy commute for those living in metro West area.

Cons

(I was hired as an interim c-level senior management member). I walked in on my first day and I had a non-working laptop waiting for me in yellow stained cubicle that was reminiscent the 1970s. Attached to it was a grimy keyboard that was at once sticky and dusty.

The culture was terrible, as it had been scarred by numerous layoffs. The first thing a member of my team said on day one was, "Have you read the Glassdoor reviews of this place?' Conversations with other team members mostly centered on their pride of being the "last woman standing" after so much RIF activity.

I started on day one and my manager (another contractor) never called, never said "hello" and never gave me a scope of work or direction - nothing. An HR person spent twenty minutes with me on my second day. Although friendly, this soul could not articulate why I was hired as a contractor, or explain where my manager was.

After 2.5 days, without warning or explanation, I was told that things would not work. This was perhaps the oddest tenure I have had in my 25 year career.

Advice to Management

Where do I begin? Evaluate your candidates better before they are hired. Communicate. (not just communicate better, but just COMMUNICATE)