Skillsoft Reviews in Manchester, NH | Glassdoor

Manchester, NH Area

1.9
Bill Donoghue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home; work life balance; LOTS of learning if you are proactive (in 28 reviews)

• Ability to work from home full time with limited travel requirements for the NYC territory (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance is nonexistent due to unrealistic deadlines (in 17 reviews)

• New CEO made massive changes and reduced valuable employees (in 20 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Skillsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've only been with the company 1 year, so cannot speak to what it was like under the old management team, but the new Skillsoft is an awesome place to work. The technology stack is cutting edge, we work in agile squads, the office space in Nashua was completely renovated, pay and benefits are good, management is supportive.

Cons

Teams are distributed, which can make collaboration more challenging

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

"Mediocrity at its best"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* There are enough good people that work at Skillsoft to help make up for some of the cons.

* Relaxed dress code. I appreciate that management does not feel that a casual dress code lends to a casual approach to your work.

* Health insurance is great.

Cons

* Reviews don't exist. It has been over four years since I've had a review, and over two years since I've had a one on one with my manager. Feedback comes only if there's a problem, and then it's typically through email or an IM even though we sit two cubes away. In the absence of feedback I'm left assuming my performance is adequate.

* I've not had a merit increase in over two years, just a standard cost of living adjustment that was granted company-wide. Company will tell you that they do market analysis to be sure your salary is competitive with the market, but what they won't tell you is that in order to be competitive with that analysis you need to achieve 100% of your bonus, which has not happened in at least two years.

* Work/life balance is virtually non-existent. Get it done at all costs, and if you're lucky maybe you'll hear a thank you 30% of the time. After all, if you can do it once then that's the new expectation.

* We have a whole host of learning solutions for customers, and while employees are given access to those tools there is no learning curriculum assigned to employees.

* Promotions often exist because of need, not in recognition of your hard work. If the company benefits from promoting you they will without even recognizing if it aligns with your goals. Until then good luck having a career path. I've actually sat in meetings where a manager has said, lIke know I've never talked with you about what your career goals are but there's an opportunity for you to move into this position if you're interested."

* New mangers are often islands, with no support, professional development or investment given to them.

* New office design is open concept, and while meant to be collaborative it encourages just enough free discussion out in the great wide open to be distracting when trying to work under deadlines. It doesn't take much for things to feel like social hour.

Advice to Management

* As an organization targeting human capital and learning solutions aimed at developing our customers, do the same internally.

* Recognize that your employees have families and lives outside of Skillsoft, and endeavor to contribute towards that balance.

* Implement a formal review structure and foster communication between managers and subordinates.

* Go back to quarterly bonuses or change the goals since we've not met them in two years. Working hard throughout the year to find out that we didn't hit the targets is quite demoralizing. * As an organization targeting human capital and learning solutions aimed at developing customers' employees, do the same internally.

Aug 16, 2017 – People@Skillsoft

We have been focused and will continue to focus on workplace improvements, and many of them touch upon the topics you’ve raised in your review. As it appears you are a former employee, you’ve missed... More

"BDC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

Pros

location and good people willing to help

Cons

none at this time management has changed

May 8, 2017 – People@Skillsoft

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

4. "Salesforce.com Administrator/ Developer"

Former Contractor - Salesforce Developer and Administrator in Nashua, NH
    Former Contractor - Salesforce Developer and Administrator in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I had worked with a Good Team. They are always supportive and Explain the Business. They respect my thoughts.

Cons

I had worked very little time, I didn't see any Cons.

"The Emperor's New Clothes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I joined this organization, its executive and senior management teams boasted impressive tenure: many employees who had risen to this level had been on board for 10+ years, a point one could argue was evidence that Skillsoft was a good place not just to work, but to build a career.

And it was. Until it wasn't.

That's the risk you take when you sign on with an organization with private equity backing. If you're lucky, and the investors understand the market as much as they understand how to make money, if they believe in the value of your business function as much as they believe in delivering a return on their investment, the experience can be rewarding.

This was the case when I signed on in 2011. Until it wasn't (2015 to present).

Is the business itself capable of change? Can it drive the innovation it lacked for so many years and made up for with a growth-by-acquisition strategy? Possibly, but not probably, given the poor execution of the actions by a team of new executives who have seen more unintended consequences than actual results (reducing costs doesn't equal growth or increased customer loyalty).

If you are looking to work in a mission-driven industry, one that's focused on improving organizational performance by helping those organizations improve individual performance, you have better options than today's Skillsoft and the divisive culture that's been created among brand and product lines.

It's a shame really, because I was happy there. Until I wasn't. And it wasn't just because I had six bosses in the five plus years I worked there (for the record, I resigned).

Cons

Positions that were based in Southern New Hampshire are being filled in a new, downtown Boston office, thus physically separating team members. For an organization that instituted an at-work policy in 2016, why deliberately split up the teams the new policy was designed to bring together on a consistent basis?

Something isn't right here and management knows it: were they truly sorry for all the negative else these carefully-crafted, corporate-politically correct responses to reviews wouldn't take up so much of the new communications director's time.

Job seekers beware: the Emperor is naked.

Advice to Management

Innovate fast, but consider selling faster for any shot cutting ownership's losses. It's what the industry back channel indicators point to what you're doing anyway.

May 18, 2017 – People@Skillsoft

Thank you for your many years with Skillsoft. Skillsoft is and will continue to be a great place to work. While there has indeed been a great deal of change, what we have been able to accomplish... More

"A case study in chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A fascinating example of a company that does not drink its own champagne.

I had worked for Skillsoft previously and was part of a great team. I left initially because there were no opportunities to grow in ways that interested me or aligned with my long-term career goals. When I had the chance to return and work with some incredibly talented and enjoyable colleagues again, I was thrilled. “It’s changing,” everyone said. “Things are definitely moving in the right direction.”

Sure enough, we got an email announcing an additional week of vacation time. Leadership restructured the bonus plan to make it more achievable. The company shared plans to redo the Nashua tech park office so staff didn't have to sit in the nasty avocado cubes inherited from Digital Equipment—no more chipped asbestos floor tiles or driving back and forth between multiple Nashua offices for meetings. All good things.

Cons

And then… it started going sideways. Product launches with virtually no advance communication or any of the necessary pieces in place. Leaders providing error-ridden materials that required multiple updates, each one a fire drill. Data-driven recommendations from high-performing employees with track records of success falling on deaf ears. Positions eliminated with no clear reassignment of responsibilities, creating massive breakdowns. A few layoffs in one office one week, a few in another location several weeks later, with no company-wide communication about what’s happening. Lack of visibility into product roadmaps, company messaging, or any sort of long-term strategic plan. New roles created with no explanation of what they encompassed, causing confusion and duplication of effort across teams. That office redesign? An open concept floor plan that almost every employee in the space said they didn’t want.

Advice to Management

Stop setting smart, capable employees up to fail. Stop giving increased responsibility to staff who damage morale AND business results. Stop the window decoration and surface-level changes and start addressing some of the real problems in the business. Start practicing what you preach and give employees meaningful feedback, learning plans, and visibility into career paths within the company. Stop saying you’re a cool hip tech company based on office locations and layouts and start rewarding the behaviors great tech companies actually value—open communication, collaboration, innovation, integrity and ongoing improvement.

Apr 17, 2017 – People@Skillsoft

Thank you. It is helpful to understand the perspective of former employees. This past year we experienced a great deal of change, and throughout the year we increased the level of communication to... More

7. "Dublin Office employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I worked at Skillsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Work from home opportunities. Nice staff. Nice building. Exciting projects

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what ye are doing. Management in general are good.

Jan 26, 2017 – People@Skillsoft

Thank you for sharing your experience at Skillsoft, and for taking the time to do so even after having moved on to your next opportunity. We are excited about the path we are on, and will continue... More

"Apply if looking for a paycheck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Skillsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

2-3 years ago I would be able to give a long list of pros. Back then you were not just a line item on the ceo's sheet trying to make monthly numbers. There was communication at all levels of management and employees had a opinion and direction.

Benefits are good now but that is always a year to year dynamic that could change when they see fit.

Cons

New redesign of the office is open concept "like google". Hope you end up with neighbors that don't talk on the phone all day or you will need some noise canceling headphones. Also don't excpect a bonus. Every quarter the CEO sends out a email that seems to be prepping us slowly for that email that we didn't make our numbers and will not be receiving a bonus.

Advice to Management

if there was a chance they would listen, I have a list but given their track record. I highly doubt outside of sales numbers, anyone on the executive team really cares about the keyboard warriors of the company.

"Constantly Changing"

I worked at Skillsoft full-time

Pros

The review title refers to pros and cons. I think the new management recognized the stress that so many acquisitions was having on the fundamentals of the business. Many customers had previously made decisions to go with another eLearning company after doing a comparison only to have Skillsoft acquire them. This is a tough battle to win back a customer's heart so all cylinders have to be firing correctly. Although the transitions were stressful, the Support and Engineering team continue to work hard ironing out the wrinkles.

Cons

At times there is too much emphasis taking care of the squeaky wheels. Large, loud or influential customers were able to steer the ship and this resulted in a lot of confusion within the products.

"What once was great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Skillsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to have a great work/life balance but that is slowly fading away to a more conservative, less productive, environment.

Cons

Embarrassingly uneducated management staff has taken this company into a downward spiral of poor decision making. It has transformed a once solid technological offering into a conglomeration of imported band aids from multiple corporate take overs of smaller companies where the influence of inexperience is shining through to the product offering.

Advice to Management

Leave. An agile company has no management. Source the jobs to experienced personnel.