Skip of New York Reviews | Glassdoor

Skip of New York Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2019

Found 79 reviews

2.5
Skip of New York CEO Margaret Mikol (no image)
Margaret Mikol
Pros
  • "Free health insurance, families are great, job offers great experience, mission of company is awesome(in 6 reviews)

• "Introduction to Medicaid service work and working with large health structures(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, micro managing, Senior staff does not treat or appreciate their employees(in 8 reviews)

• "The team leader, the upper management and the lack of respect for the employees(in 8 reviews)

1. "Not the most organized But the most Loving"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The supervisor is like a super star... she is a role model and the best boss (and parent) in the world... she inspires that office and works harder then anyone in the world... and she makes sure that the employees get great treatment/benefits for the hard work. Also seeing the kids go through what they deal with and they handle it like a boss and they just want to be happy it opens your eyes up to life in a new way.

Cons

The pay should be more it’s hard work

Advice to Management

Send me one more check

Skip of New York2019-08-08
  2. "Care Manager"

Care Manager

I have been working at Skip of New York

Pros

The pros of working at SKIP are, flexibility with work schedule, the supervisors do not micromanage, staff doesn’t have to pay for insurance (unless they have a family), autonomy when it comes to your schedule.

Cons

The cons of working at SKIP, the low pay, especially for the Care Managers that have to travel all over NYC. The work culture is pretty much nonexistent, some supervisors do not speak, they act like people are invisible. The executive director is NOTORIOUS for walking around the office and just passing some people and not speaking. The PTO system sucks! Whoever invented PTO should be killed. Basically PTO is... vacation, sick and personal lumped into one category. So you have to use the time wisely, if you don’t have any PTO, and you need a day, you’ll be taking that day unpaid. I also think it’s pretty terrible that as soon as they hire people, two people quit, Care Managers always have to get additional cases because they’re short staffed. They don’t do anything for the holidays, there’s no staff appreciation anything, they don’t even have a holiday party. Everybody is just in their own world when they’re in the office.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay rates, complain to DOH about the monthly site visits, for some families they’re a waste of time. Treat the staff better! Do things for staff to show that they’re appreciated and maybe people won’t quit. Lastly, speak to your staff, don’t pretend they’re invisible.

Skip of New York2019-07-17
  3. "Comfortable Work Environment"

Former Employee - Community Rehabilitation Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at Skip of New York part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great support system when you need the help

Cons

Not enough cases all the time available

Skip of New York2019-06-12
  4. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Care Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than a year

Pros

The owner is very Passionate about the work. She cares about the employees and she will back you if there’s ever a problem. The pay is alright and based on caseload and performance. Room for promotions

Cons

The work gets tedious. If you enjoy doing the same thing over and over then its a good job.

Advice to Management

None.

Skip of New York2019-05-09
  5. "Worst ever"

Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing was not great at all

Cons

Everything. Don’t work here

Skip of New York2019-05-05
  6. "An opportunity to work closely with families and understand Medicaid Waiver programs"

Former Employee - Care At Home Case Manager

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for less than a year

Pros

This agency was built on passion and provides a needed service to the families that it serves. The families are extremely appreciative of the services provided to them and I ended up growing attached to the families in my caseload. The office has a really nice view. If you are a self-motivated person and enjoy self-directed learning, this is a great experience to learn about and understand Medicaid waiver... programs in NY. SKIP provides you with access to car rentals from Enterprise in order to make your visits with families.

Cons

Unfortunately it comes with the territory of working in the field of service coordination, but employees are underpaid for the amount of actual and emotional work provided. Along with this, there is no opportunity to work overtime, which would be helpful in order to prevent work from piling up. I also had a hard time with the lack of training/supervision I received. My supervisor was overworked which left me... responsible for my own training and understanding of the scope of my role. Often my questions were left unanswered and I felt like I did not have the resources to be a fully competent service coordinator.

Advice to Management

Spend more time/effort on training new-hires

Skip of New York2019-02-27
  7. "interesting place to work at"

Former Employee - Family Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than a year

Pros

im not sure if there were any

Cons

so man just dont even bother working there. Theyre so unorganized and noone is properly trained

Skip of New York2019-03-27
  8. "Great employment that is rewarding"

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping people to attain a job with the mentally disabled population. A great team environment. Always having support.

Cons

Some of the working tools are outdated.

Skip of New York2019-02-14
  9. "Meaningful Work, Troublesome Management"

I worked at Skip of New York full-time

Pros

-Location, beautiful waterfront office -Important work with youth and families -Introduction to Medicaid service work and working with large health structures

Cons

-Unfair and unpredictable management -Low pay, high stress -No room for growth

Skip of New York2019-02-18
  10. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in New York, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros that I can think of. I Knew within the first week of training that I had made a mistake by accepting their offer.

Cons

poor management, poor communication skills, micro-managing

Skip of New York2019-02-25