Skipper Marine Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cliques and biased"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Huge inventory and multiple locations

Cons

Very selective and biased with distribution of incoming leads

Advice to Management

Cultivate and grow all sales equally

"Don't."

Pros

Beautiful facility, most people are nice, beautiful location. The rest of these words are to fill the twenty word minimum.

Cons

Stress, blame game everywhere, outdated technology, management is always right and employees never are, inner circles everywhere you look. No sense of pride, horrible working culture.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not enemies and allies. IT is running the company and it's a one man show.

3. "No concept of Team Work"

I have been working at Skipper Marine full-time

Pros

They are fairly successful sales company

Cons

The business seems to concentrate on sales and not after-market follow u. It almost seems as though they don't care about repeat business.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want your customers to be treated you will most likely see a rewarding business turn-around. Employees are your best asset, not your customers. If you treat your employees properly, they will treat your customers properly.

4. "Sales"

Pros

Great place to work and get to work with great people

Cons

Long hours and crazy springs

"Fun job but no team atmosphere. Difficult management."

I worked at Skipper Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and pay is decent. Working with customers and boats is fantastic. Trade shows are enjoyable. Location is beautiful.

Cons

Management too often focuses on negative reinforcement and micro-management. There are very high expectations of salespeople but not enough support or accountability from management. There was very little training and "sink or swim" seemed to be the motto.
    There is also no flexibility in schedule, minimum benefits and vacation. Family vacation is characterized as lazy and irresponsible. Sales is king. There is very little focus on customer service.
    It is sad because this could be great job and a great company with some relatively minor changes. Instead, I dreaded coming to work.

Advice to Management

Increase benefits and flexibility with time off to decrease turnover. Invest in sales training and marketing to support sales staff.
    Do a complete overhaul of customer service evaluation and improve the customer experience especially in service.

"I worked for less than a year as a sales professional."

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Skipper Marine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my work environment
    Large company with plenty of inventory

Cons

I was not trained for even a second.
    I was unguided.
    I was not given a warning before being let go, so job stability is low because that has happened to a few others.
    Only work for SkipperBud's if you have previous experience and won't need help and guidance. Also, you must be unafraid of a surprise firing as the manager that fired me was not very present in my budding career, but decided from afar that it was time to let me go.
    The boating industry is declining with each generation.
    I believe I was not given enough time for management actually gauge my possible success or failure.
    I needed more time to build my client book, which I believe was working, but management had no idea what I was working on because they were too busy selling boats themselves.

Advice to Management

Management needs to focus more on managing the sales people. A lot of managers are also selling boats and they have zero time to help or actually monitor their sales people. Most the time, management would not even answer my phone calls or respond to my emails.

Second piece of advice, when you are letting go an employee, try to make it more professional and tactical. Do not use tacky phrases like you would in the situation of breaking up with a girlfriend or boyfriend. Please figure out what you're going to say beforehand and approach the situation with tact. Let the employee know that you appreciate the things they did right, and let them know what they might be able to improve for their next job. Possibly, treat them like a human being and ask if they are going to be okay, rather than speeding through the uncomfortable conversation and getting out of there as fast as you can.

Lastly, please train unexperienced people or give them time to learn by themselves if that is what you want.

"A Lot of Turnover In Sales"

Former Employee - Showroom Floor Sales in Volo, IL
    Former Employee - Showroom Floor Sales in Volo, IL

I worked at Skipper Marine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people to work with, plenty of inventory on hand. Multiple locations within 7-8 states across country. Good locations either on water or close to it.

Cons

Use uncommon metrics to measure your success and provide you with the ability to keep your job. Must work weekends and 1 evening per week

Advice to Management

Leave people alone if they have proven that they can sell boats

8. "Skipper Marine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winthrop Harbor, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winthrop Harbor, IL

Pros

My department was family friendly.

Cons

I had no negative experiences.

Advice to Management

You are managing to sell boats in a down economy. Keep on keeping on.

9. "Summer/Winter Internship"

Pros

Even as a temporary employee and high school graduate I was trusted to complete tasks which the professional before me could not.

Cons

The office did not lend itself well to a good work atmosphere. I also had to drive over an hour to and from work and don't feel i was rightfully compensated for it on my hourly wage.

Advice to Management

If you plan to hire an intern again, try to have specific tasks outlined to complete each day, and make an effort to teach.