Skipton Building Society Reviews in Skipton, England | Glassdoor

4.1
Skipton Building Society Group Chief Executive David Cutter
David Cutter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best place I have worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England (UK)

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be yourself
    People-oriented
    Leaders don't have big egos
    Lots of development opportunities
    Not hierarchical
    Customer service excellent
    Good benefits
    Lots of talented people
    Skipton do lots for the community

Cons

Ambition can outstrip ability/resource to deliver
    Pockets of dinosaurs hold us back

Advice to Management

Maintain people and customer focus and the financials will follow

2. "Very supportive culture"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Skipton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Skipton, England (UK)

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encouraged to share ideas, suggest ways we can improve the business, supported with your development and encouraged to support others

Cons

Pay is not the best although the benefits are comparable with other similar companies and they are reviewed fairly regularly.

Skipton Building Society Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Head of People Services

Thanks for your post and apologies for taking so long to respond. We are delighted to hear your positive comments and encouraged that you feel able to express your views as we are committed to... More

3. "New Lending and Retention Call Taker"

Current Employee - New Lending and Retention Call Taker in Skipton, England (UK)

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Good work ethos with values I believe in. A company who really cares for its workers as well as its clients

Cons

Lieu time cannot be claimed if working less than 15 minutes beyond your scheduled finish time, even though you cant 'hang up' or terminate or pass a call on to another colleague.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your policy of not allowing people to reclaim lieu time unless they are on the phone for more than 15 minutes after their finish time.

4. "Easy to get in, hard to progress"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Skipton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Skipton, England (UK)

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other benefits aside from pay are decent.

Cons

Full of cliques. If your face doesn't fit, or you are not into dating managers then don't expect much in ways of career progression. It doesn't matter about your ability or capability to do a role, it's more about building "relatonships" (see above)- there are a lot of people completely in the wrong roles and management cannot seem to handle this.
    Its easy to join SBS/SFS as it seems the majority of new positions are filled with external rather than internal candidates, and many times I've witnessed managers go direct to market without giving existing staff a chance. I have seen a manager refuse an internal candidate as "they are a paki", and likewise witnessed a mortgage get rejected for the same reason. For the location of SFS, their ethnicity is not representative.
    Their performance reviews are shocking: managers don't seem to know how to undertake them or follow the framework that they had launched after they got rid of SFS. Its just a mess, and on top of it there are managers who just make up their own which makes it impossible to engage with. Cross-sharing of knowledge is pretty much non existent, and is deliberately withheld as there is a fear of people becoming better than management (and they would rather you spend hours doing a task on the wrong tools/software, rather than spend 20 quid on a license for the correct tools) .
    There seems to be an excessive number of managers/senior managers, and inefficient meetings. The FA's are also quite abusive at times

Advice to Management

Upskill your staff, and encourage progression: this would save us alot of money both in time wastage and errors!

Skipton Building Society Response

Apr 5, 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and bringing your views to our attention. We appreciate that you have concerns around career progression but wish to be clear that we do not... More

5. "Best Company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, approachable and competent executive team, friendly and helpful staff with a customer focussed approach. Good products and services. Great onsite facilities.

Cons

Parking can be an issue. A bit of arrogance and a lack of understanding of the product, services and culture by colleagues next door.

6. "Great Employers"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Skipton, England (UK)

Pros

Committed to Staff Development. Supportive company culture, Pleasantly located head office

Cons

There isn't much to complain about.

7. "A financial institution that cares about its workers and customers"

Current Employee - **** Manager in Skipton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - **** Manager in Skipton, England (UK)

Pros

The feeling of belonging and having an important role to play in the success of the Society. At Skipton you really feel valued, and are playing an important role in customer satisfaction.
    Great commute, continually improving benefits package, on site café and restaurant.

Cons

Salary not as high as central Leeds, but improving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England (UK)

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Society offers a genuine family feel, like you belong from the outset. Their values are clear and I have experienced investment in delvelopment of their people at a level I've not seen in other employers

Cons

The pace of change is relentless as the Society continues to grow and change to meet the needs of its customers.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing mostly. Change is needed and is for the benefit of our customers but be mindful of the impact of delivering so much change at such a fast pace.

"Still a good place to work"

Former Employee - Audit in Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Audit in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and investment in people

Cons

Culture changing over time and not necessarily for the better

Advice to Management

listen to the feedback from your staff

10. "Skipton Building Society- Administrative Assistant (Temporary)"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay within a friendly team atmosphere. Basic duties are relatively simple and repetitive, requiring a basic level of computer proficiency to perform.

Cons

Due to the temporary nature of the position I held, training was minimal and responsibilities were kept to simple and repetitive tasks.