Skoah Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris and Andrea Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"skoah"

I worked at Skoah full-time

Pros

Liked concept of skin gym, facials only, focused on skin

Cons

management was a little shady

Advice to Management

be honest with employees

"Former employee"

I worked at Skoah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are like family. the creators of skoah are amazing they are nice people that care about employ feedback. Good products.

Cons

The location i work at is consistently is out of product. Regular maintenance that should be done all the time is never done untill something is a big enough that it is impossible to work around it. Never pays bills on time, i cant even count the number of times that had to deal with the owners dept collectors harassing me. The owner is very unprofessional, and has no sense of accountability. No room to grow.

Advice to Management

Order products consistently so you aren't out for months. Learn how to be accountable for your own actions. Listen to your employees they know what they are doing and they offer great advice on how to actually run the store

Sep 15, 2017 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

Thanks for the time you spent working at skoah Boston. We will review the items you noted and speak with the skoah Boston ownership. We wish you all the best.

"The Seattle krew is wonderful, but we are entirely disposable."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time

Pros

The ladies I had the amazing opportunity to work with made this job as bearable as it could possibly be. The Seattle & Bellevue gals are warm, genuine, sincere, dedicated, and are truly people I see in my life for years to come. I look forward to a time when they can all secure employment with a (different) company that will value them for their hard work & dedication instead of treating them as replaceable parts in a broken machine. Everyone at these stores is capable of so, so much but they've become downtrodden and have started questioning their own sense of self-worth and self-efficacy as employees. They deserve much better.

Cons

In no particular order:

1. No benefits package.
    No medical insurance, no stipend for buying your own insurance, no 401k, no paid vacation until the end of the year when you are paid a lump sum for the vacation time that you've accrued (with no opportunity to cash out vacation prior to the end of the year, as verified by a krew member in the Store Support Center), etc.

There was a period of time while I worked for skoah that I had to receive state food assistance as I was working full-time and still couldn't afford food because any residual money was going toward paying for insurance.

2. You are told one thing and another thing happens. Expect inconsistency, always.
    -Example 1: As an SCT, you will probably be told you'll have the opportunity to earn your commission from your 3 month probationary period. However, you most likely will not be given this opportunity.

-Example 2: As an SCT, you will probably be told that you can come in for your full 8 hour shift, even on days with zero/few appointments (I was told once that this is a reason why we should be "thankful" to work for the company). However, on slow days you can rest assured that your hours WILL be cut. This is often not your manager's decision; it's almost always a decision passed down from upper management in Canada to the store managers in Seattle.
    -->FYI: Given how few Seattlites know what skoah even is, despite giving away hundreds of free facials to residents, slow days are incredibly common. To be generous, fiscally budget for 2/3 of the hours they say you'll actually get to work on a weekly basis. To be realistic, fiscally budget for 1/2 of the hours they say you'll get to work.

3. No "calling in" protocol.
    Sure, you can text or call the manager of your store (IF your store has a manager; the Pike Street & Capitol Hill locations currently do not) when you know that you will be unable to come in for your shift, but then it somehow becomes that manager's job to figure out how to get the store opened. More often than not, the managers must come in on their day off (assuming they are in town) with little to no notice, on top of the 40+ hours they've already worked that week due to inventory, events, evals, etc. With a salary of ~$30-33k/year, working over 40 hours is absolutely absurd. And with no benefits package it's even more absurd. And cruel.

So, good luck having stores open successfully for the day if you've got an SCC who can't make it in & a manager who isn't in town and/or has good work/life boundaries.

4. Claims to be charity-oriented.
    skoah has a program in their Canadian stores called the "switcharoo program": if a customer bring in full/mostly full beauty or skincare products they may receive $5 off individual skoah products for each item they bring in & the items brought in by customers are donated to a non-profit program that serves folks who are in need of those products. Pretty awesome, right? That'd be an especially awesome program in a support-giving community like Seattle, but even though the company has been in Seattle for almost TWO YEARS this program has yet to be put into effect in our community.

Being a philanthropic company always looks good on paper but means nothing when there is no follow-through. It just looks dishonest.

Advice to Management

-Be consistent: don't state a policy, expectation, or aspiration for employees to work toward and then change it on a whim or when it costs the company money.

-Be supportive: if you see SCCs or SCTs that aren't performing to "standard", instead of threatening to fire them for weak sales maybe you should provide additional training so that they may reach "standard" in the manner that skoah has deemed feasible and effective.

-Be smart: utilize your employees in the region for their knowledge of the area (for things like advertising, networking, etc.) and trust that when we beg for things like health insurance, it's not because we are greedy or entitled-- it's because we really, REALLY need it. Also, before doing extreme promotions like giving away free facials to absolutely anybody, perhaps you should consult with the Seattle krews who have a much better understanding of what would be effective in Seattle.

-Be kind: if you are going to make frequent visits to Seattle, I'd strongly advise you to get to know your employees on a more personal level. We are hard-working, dedicated, loyal people with rich backgrounds and lives. Please don't make your employees continue to feel disposable and instead take the time to get to know us; the Seattle krews will feel more valued and sales performances will almost certainly get better as a result.

Sep 4, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

We are sorry to read your review There is lots to address here but to be brief its unfortunate this has been your depiction of your experience. There is so much in here that just isn't true. That... More

"in between"

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Seattle, WA

Pros

this is the perfect job if you are fresh out of school for esthetics. I have learned so much here and they run promotions all the time so you get lots of experience with clients. they tend to hire awesome people too so the job environment is typically very fun unless you have a sour attitude.

Cons

There is a lot of inconsistencies in the way they manage people. We are in Seattle, headquarters is in Canada so that plays a big part I think. Also, it seems like they promote people solely based on numbers rather than work ethic and responsibility you have taken on.

Advice to Management

Try not to take your employees for granted or else this very high turnover rate will turn away anyone from even wanting to work here in the first place.

Aug 20, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

Thanks for the review. We can't do everything identical due to various labour laws in different countries/states and provinces. And sometimes, we do have slightly different ways of managing teams... More

"Great Founders"

I worked at Skoah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clients, thorough protocol training for their facials. Lovely products that actually work. Reasonably priced. The founders are super nice. They are based out of Canada.

Cons

Not steady, ran out of products for over 3 months. The location I worked at closed it's doors with less than a months notice. I was contacted by some of my regular clients...saying they went in for their facial and everything was shut down...noone called them. That really upset me.

Advice to Management

Keep products in stock..order more than you usually do so you don't run out, so clients aren't on a waiting list and angry with you. Offer commission to skin care trainers that help walk-ins...like half of what they get if they have someone for a facial.

May 22, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

Yes, we did close a location recently. We did this in order to move it to a location in Boston that better suits the needs of our customers. We also consulted with our customers on this decision. We... More

6. "Supportive company, especially if you're interested in growth opportunities."

Pros

I've worked here for over 4 years - part time as a receptionist/retail associate (SCC) while I was in school, then store management, then moved to a new city to help open new locations. They are growing fast and would prefer to promote within, so if you're engaged and interested in learning, you can move up quickly. Their vision and focus on culture among employees is really positive and supportive - and it makes most of the people here really fun to work with. It's also pretty exciting to watch how we keep outgrowing our current stores.

Cons

If you're looking for a mindless job, this won't be for you. They definitely reward effort, which is a good thing - but it can be challenging. This is also why as a retail associate you get paid well above minimum wage to start, with bonus incentives.
    Since they are new to Seattle, the pace can be a bit unpredictable - busy certain days, slow others. But this is when they ask for input and allow you to be part of the marketing effort (networking, planning events with other businesses, etc)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees feedback and reward people who perform consistently and are loyal to you.

Sep 12, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

Thank you You've made our day! Please do continue to send us your great ideas and effort.

"One of the best jobs I've had"

Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptionally positive brand culture represented all the way up to the orginators, thorough training (even for those with no skincare/beauty industry background) , and genuine support from upper management encourages growth within the company. Extremely competitive pay. Excitement of being at ground-level with a growing company.

Cons

Since they're so new to the US, there are still a few things that may take some time to work out. Inventory control and HR issues such as benefits and scheduling are handled from Canada. They are still growing and evolving, and for some, the process of growth may be challenging.

Advice to Management

To be competitive, a US HR rep is necessary, as are health benefits for full-time/salaried employees. Take your time working out all the kinks, and continue to listen to your employees needs. That is how skoah stands out as an employer.

"irresponsible, unethical..."

Former Employee - Generl Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Generl Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

skincare is nice, store front looks good. It's hard to come up with more than that.

Cons

Lost personal Security and info, failure to pay final wages, inappropriate questions to employees regarding medical conditions...
    I ended up having to file a complaint with Washington Sate Department of Labor and Industries for failure to pay final wages.

Advice to Management

You may want to review the proper labor laws here in the USA before someone sues you.

Mar 21, 2014 – Human Resources

We are aware of this former employee's concerns and have certainly paid any outstanding wages once quarterly results had been finalized as outlined. We hold medical information received in confidence... More

"Not a nice place..."

Former Employee - Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Skoah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% Product Discount
    Product is good

Cons

Just a sad, not good place to work. I notice Skoah responds to reviews here always happy about good reviews and then in denial about the bad ones. That’s a good example of what it’s like working for Skoah. I stayed less than 1 year, and I lasted longer than a lot of others. There are a couple of employees that last for whatever reason but they make it so you hate your job. Andrea and Chris have to be the greediest two people I’ve seen. Everything is about dollars. Giving good facials doesn’t matter, being a hard worker. Just if you sell. I was even a good seller and it was bad, your worked to death if you sell good, and if you don’t you don’t get to work. The company policiy change all the time, they are always out of product. They do online sales that cut into your own sales but get mad if you aren’t selling. They barely ever bring in new product so everyone has everything, and there’s nothing to sell. If you are a new esthetician stay far away from this place, they use you and abuse you. Don’t get stuck there it’s very bad for the self-esteem.. You shouldn’t support this business and shouldn’t work there. If people stopped applying there they would fail. Think about it.

Advice to Management

Instead of replying to negative reviews here and turning them on people, learn to take your critics and learn from. You could have better business, but you deny the truth.

Sep 15, 2017 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

We appreciate the comments as a route to learn more. Thanks for sharing. At all times at skoah, we love to hear product ideas and also suggestions for improvement. In fact 2 of the new products... More

10. "Really exciting and inspiring company to work for"

I worked at Skoah full-time

Pros

- At SSC (Store Support Centre) you work closely with the Skoah owners - who are very energetic, passionate and really inspiring.
     - There is a hands on approach and everyone gets involved
     - Good work life balance
     - I loved working for a company that I believed in
     - Discount off products and a complimentary facial every 2 months :)

Cons

- 10 vacation days per year

Advice to Management

Keep growing! Bring Skoah to Europe, it's an amazing brand and culture.