Skoah Reviews | Glassdoor

Skoah Owners and Founders Chris and Andrea Scott
Chris and Andrea Scott

"skoah"

I worked at Skoah full-time

Pros

Liked concept of skin gym, facials only, focused on skin

Cons

management was a little shady

Advice to Management

be honest with employees

"The Seattle krew is wonderful, but we are entirely disposable."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time

Pros

The ladies I had the amazing opportunity to work with made this job as bearable as it could possibly be. The Seattle & Bellevue gals are warm, genuine, sincere, dedicated, and are truly people I see in my life for years to come. I look forward to a time when they can all secure employment with a (different) company that will value them for their hard work & dedication instead of treating them as replaceable parts in a broken machine. Everyone at these stores is capable of so, so much but they've become downtrodden and have started questioning their own sense of self-worth and self-efficacy as employees. They deserve much better.

Cons

In no particular order:

1. No benefits package.
    No medical insurance, no stipend for buying your own insurance, no 401k, no paid vacation until the end of the year when you are paid a lump sum for the vacation time that you've accrued (with no opportunity to cash out vacation prior to the end of the year, as verified by a krew member in the Store Support Center), etc.

There was a period of time while I worked for skoah that I had to receive state food assistance as I was working full-time and still couldn't afford food because any residual money was going toward paying for insurance.

2. You are told one thing and another thing happens. Expect inconsistency, always.
    -Example 1: As an SCT, you will probably be told you'll have the opportunity to earn your commission from your 3 month probationary period. However, you most likely will not be given this opportunity.

-Example 2: As an SCT, you will probably be told that you can come in for your full 8 hour shift, even on days with zero/few appointments (I was told once that this is a reason why we should be "thankful" to work for the company). However, on slow days you can rest assured that your hours WILL be cut. This is often not your manager's decision; it's almost always a decision passed down from upper management in Canada to the store managers in Seattle.
    -->FYI: Given how few Seattlites know what skoah even is, despite giving away hundreds of free facials to residents, slow days are incredibly common. To be generous, fiscally budget for 2/3 of the hours they say you'll actually get to work on a weekly basis. To be realistic, fiscally budget for 1/2 of the hours they say you'll get to work.

3. No "calling in" protocol.
    Sure, you can text or call the manager of your store (IF your store has a manager; the Pike Street & Capitol Hill locations currently do not) when you know that you will be unable to come in for your shift, but then it somehow becomes that manager's job to figure out how to get the store opened. More often than not, the managers must come in on their day off (assuming they are in town) with little to no notice, on top of the 40+ hours they've already worked that week due to inventory, events, evals, etc. With a salary of ~$30-33k/year, working over 40 hours is absolutely absurd. And with no benefits package it's even more absurd. And cruel.

So, good luck having stores open successfully for the day if you've got an SCC who can't make it in & a manager who isn't in town and/or has good work/life boundaries.

4. Claims to be charity-oriented.
    skoah has a program in their Canadian stores called the "switcharoo program": if a customer bring in full/mostly full beauty or skincare products they may receive $5 off individual skoah products for each item they bring in & the items brought in by customers are donated to a non-profit program that serves folks who are in need of those products. Pretty awesome, right? That'd be an especially awesome program in a support-giving community like Seattle, but even though the company has been in Seattle for almost TWO YEARS this program has yet to be put into effect in our community.

Being a philanthropic company always looks good on paper but means nothing when there is no follow-through. It just looks dishonest.

Advice to Management

-Be consistent: don't state a policy, expectation, or aspiration for employees to work toward and then change it on a whim or when it costs the company money.

-Be supportive: if you see SCCs or SCTs that aren't performing to "standard", instead of threatening to fire them for weak sales maybe you should provide additional training so that they may reach "standard" in the manner that skoah has deemed feasible and effective.

-Be smart: utilize your employees in the region for their knowledge of the area (for things like advertising, networking, etc.) and trust that when we beg for things like health insurance, it's not because we are greedy or entitled-- it's because we really, REALLY need it. Also, before doing extreme promotions like giving away free facials to absolutely anybody, perhaps you should consult with the Seattle krews who have a much better understanding of what would be effective in Seattle.

-Be kind: if you are going to make frequent visits to Seattle, I'd strongly advise you to get to know your employees on a more personal level. We are hard-working, dedicated, loyal people with rich backgrounds and lives. Please don't make your employees continue to feel disposable and instead take the time to get to know us; the Seattle krews will feel more valued and sales performances will almost certainly get better as a result.

Sep 4, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

We are sorry to read your review There is lots to address here but to be brief its unfortunate this has been your depiction of your experience. There is so much in here that just isn't true. That ... More

"in between"

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Seattle, WA

Pros

this is the perfect job if you are fresh out of school for esthetics. I have learned so much here and they run promotions all the time so you get lots of experience with clients. they tend to hire awesome people too so the job environment is typically very fun unless you have a sour attitude.

Cons

There is a lot of inconsistencies in the way they manage people. We are in Seattle, headquarters is in Canada so that plays a big part I think. Also, it seems like they promote people solely based on numbers rather than work ethic and responsibility you have taken on.

Advice to Management

Try not to take your employees for granted or else this very high turnover rate will turn away anyone from even wanting to work here in the first place.

Aug 20, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

Thanks for the review. We can't do everything identical due to various labour laws in different countries/states and provinces. And sometimes, we do have slightly different ways of managing teams ... More

"Great Founders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Skoah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clients, thorough protocol training for their facials. Lovely products that actually work. Reasonably priced. The founders are super nice. They are based out of Canada.

Cons

Not steady, ran out of products for over 3 months. The location I worked at closed it's doors with less than a months notice. I was contacted by some of my regular clients...saying they went in for their facial and everything was shut down...noone called them. That really upset me.

Advice to Management

Keep products in stock..order more than you usually do so you don't run out, so clients aren't on a waiting list and angry with you. Offer commission to skin care trainers that help walk-ins...like half of what they get if they have someone for a facial.

May 22, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

Yes, we did close a location recently. We did this in order to move it to a location in Boston that better suits the needs of our customers. We also consulted with our customers on this decision. We ... More

6. "Supportive company, especially if you're interested in growth opportunities."

Pros

I've worked here for over 4 years - part time as a receptionist/retail associate (SCC) while I was in school, then store management, then moved to a new city to help open new locations. They are growing fast and would prefer to promote within, so if you're engaged and interested in learning, you can move up quickly. Their vision and focus on culture among employees is really positive and supportive - and it makes most of the people here really fun to work with. It's also pretty exciting to watch how we keep outgrowing our current stores.

Cons

If you're looking for a mindless job, this won't be for you. They definitely reward effort, which is a good thing - but it can be challenging. This is also why as a retail associate you get paid well above minimum wage to start, with bonus incentives.
    Since they are new to Seattle, the pace can be a bit unpredictable - busy certain days, slow others. But this is when they ask for input and allow you to be part of the marketing effort (networking, planning events with other businesses, etc)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees feedback and reward people who perform consistently and are loyal to you.

Sep 12, 2015 – General Manager - People Development & Customer Experience

Thank you You've made our day! Please do continue to send us your great ideas and effort.

"One of the best jobs I've had"

Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptionally positive brand culture represented all the way up to the orginators, thorough training (even for those with no skincare/beauty industry background) , and genuine support from upper management encourages growth within the company. Extremely competitive pay. Excitement of being at ground-level with a growing company.

Cons

Since they're so new to the US, there are still a few things that may take some time to work out. Inventory control and HR issues such as benefits and scheduling are handled from Canada. They are still growing and evolving, and for some, the process of growth may be challenging.

Advice to Management

To be competitive, a US HR rep is necessary, as are health benefits for full-time/salaried employees. Take your time working out all the kinks, and continue to listen to your employees needs. That is how skoah stands out as an employer.

"irresponsible, unethical..."

Former Employee - Generl Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Generl Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

skincare is nice, store front looks good. It's hard to come up with more than that.

Cons

Lost personal Security and info, failure to pay final wages, inappropriate questions to employees regarding medical conditions...
    I ended up having to file a complaint with Washington Sate Department of Labor and Industries for failure to pay final wages.

Advice to Management

You may want to review the proper labor laws here in the USA before someone sues you.

Mar 21, 2014 – Human Resources

We are aware of this former employee's concerns and have certainly paid any outstanding wages once quarterly results had been finalized as outlined. We hold medical information received in confidence ... More

9. "Really exciting and inspiring company to work for"

I worked at Skoah full-time

Pros

- At SSC (Store Support Centre) you work closely with the Skoah owners - who are very energetic, passionate and really inspiring.
     - There is a hands on approach and everyone gets involved
     - Good work life balance
     - I loved working for a company that I believed in
     - Discount off products and a complimentary facial every 2 months :)

Cons

- 10 vacation days per year

Advice to Management

Keep growing! Bring Skoah to Europe, it's an amazing brand and culture.

"Skoah"

Former Employee - SCC in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - SCC in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Skoah (Less than a year)

Pros

- great coworkers to be around with (minus the manager)
    - 50% off products
    - seems like there is possible growth due to franchising stores
    -great facials
    - great environment to be in for the first few weeks

Cons

As I worked here, the first few weeks were fun, the coworkers were pleasant to be around with, but the shifts were scheduled unfairly (it was scheduled to the manager's advantage which I found to be unfair)

I particularly get along with everybody and I did until a few hiccups came along a few weeks into my employment (with my manager)
    The first situation was when one of my coworkers was being terminated (everyone in the store knew about it but the one being fired). Manager made a fake schedule for her for the following month (which is unethical) and let her go with no notice after working a half day shift and for over 3yrs with skoah at the beginning of the new month.
    From then on, the store seemed to go into a downward spiral. The environment I was working in was no longer 'fun' and I was already dreading my next shift
    The next occurrence was when manager was the only esthetician on duty the prior day and I messaged her in the morning (as I was opening the store) of how she did not throw out the trash or recycling and she did not put the used towels in the bag so the guy who takes our laundry was pretty pissed about it and she seemed to just shrug it off and make excuses for just that.
    Another example of how unethical manager was as she was training me for a closing shift she told me that I "can close the store 10-15mins before the mall closes to start your closing duties if the day is slow", long story short the store got fined because I was doing something manager said I could do and when she spoke to me about it I told her the phrase mentioned above, and she ignored the fact that I said something manager said I could do.
    On my last shift at this skoah location I was opened the store and was then 3 hours into my shift. I did all of the duties as I should, and when manager came in for her “half-day” shift, the first words she said to me were “you can leave now, I don’t need you anymore”, and as I volunteered saying I could stay until the end of my shift as there was only 3 hours left on the clock, she just told me to leave. I was pretty irate but complied as I know that she carries ALL her emotional baggage with her into work as well.

Needless to say, I was employed under a manager who was incapable of keeping her own word and or least keeping things professional.

Advice to Management

I would say I was a good employee in my duration in this particular location. As I submitted my resignation letter in, I was asked to give feedback of why I was resigning from my position less than 2 months into the probation period. As my last shift came up, no senior authority came into contact with me to discuss the situation, hence this review.

In my eyes a person of senior authority is somebody who can lead a team to a growing path and not lolling around and talking bull about other coworkers behind their backs and relieving their emotional baggage onto somebody else
    The management should be hired/promoted based on their capabilities and not because of desperation, or at least demote management until they are willing to have the responsibilities of a manager.

Dec 21, 2016 – People Experience

We appreciate you taking the time to give your feedback. We do have an exit interview process for employees who resign - it's a survey that would have been emailed to you. We definitely encourage ... More

11. "fun & unique company to work for"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Skoah full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with skoah for a few years - wages/commission/bonuses are extremely reasonable if you work hard, meet sales goals and exceed skoah's standard.
    -It's a very fun and welcoming environment, there really is no drama like I have heard about from other spas.
    -Skin care trainers (estheticians) really have a chance to customize the facials in their own way in terms of products and their own technique, which really makes every experience unique.
    -I love the culture at skoah, their core values and the direction they want to lead the company.
    -The current regional manager is very helpful/supportive and incredibly proactive, making me love the company I work for even more!

Cons

- Some estheticians may not love that there is no set start times to your shifts, things are always changing and it depends on how much you sell to/rebook customers. Great for competitive people!
    - There isn't a lot of learning/expanding knowledge for skin care trainers, the initial training is quite extensive, however could still be improved and further sessions and/or mentoring/coaching opportunities so the girls don't get complacent.
    - There was no one in HR up until about 6 months ago, which was really difficult if you had issues and felt like you couldn't reach out to a manager.
    - It is definitely now improving, it seems sometimes there are things lost in translation between the stores/managers and the store support center, marketing items arriving late, maintenance in store being repaired later than it should, inventory orders not matching up with promotions, etc.
    - Again, this has improved significantly, if you want weekend days off you have to vacation them or be part time, I think this is a little backwards, full time (more often than not, very devoted staff) should have more flexibility if the store needs allow to have more weekend days off, 1-2 a month and have P/T staff work the weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep growing! Get skoah across the country, it's an amazing brand and culture. Have more trainers (for coaches & skin care trainers) so that there is a variety of knowledge and fresh techniques being taught & the ultimate energy passed on to new staff.
    Keep the staff who have been here 2-3 years happy, accommodated and feeling appreciated!

Jul 5, 2016 – People Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback...it's so appreciated and incredibly valuable to us.