Skookum, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 22 reviews

3.8
Skookum, Inc. CEO James Hartsell
James Hartsell
  1. "Hands down best place to work in Charlotte"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Skookum, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, genuine employees who care about you personally and professionally, interesting work, open-door policy and access to leadership, flexible and casual office environment, invests in employees and tries to help you grow and stay happy. Even with rapid recent growth, we have friendly and approachable staff/management to go to with thoughts, concerns, questions, etc. Taking the right steps to scale...

Cons

I don't really have any cons to working here. I would say just with any smaller company, there aren't as many defined career paths right off the bat as you may find with other organizations. However, Skookum is very open if you see a growth opportunity or need for the company, they are happy to listen and help you get there even if it means a totally new role that we haven't had before.

Advice to Management

Keep having the town hall meetings and being open about our goals and where we are in achieving. Keep investing in employees and stay to your word on what you promise.

Skookum, Inc.2019-05-22
  2. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Skookum, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They really do care about their people and providing a great work / life balance. The people you work with are really smart. The engineers create great software architectures that set their clients up for long term maintainability of the applications created. Like I said, everyone really cares about what they are doing!

Cons

Client services can be tough. It's hard to to say no to a client.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and be more involved in the day to day of this great company!

Skookum, Inc.2019-05-15

"meh"

Former Employee - Android Developer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Skookum, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to get a job here, mostly good tech, some kind people, good place to learn

Cons

Low pay, uninteresting projects, two project managers for every dev, get in and get out

Advice to Management

Find interesting projects and pay your devs more. Also, not all devs care about beer and ping pong

Skookum, Inc.2019-01-22

"Always improving"

I worked at Skookum, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While no company is perfect Skookum always tried to be better than it currently was. Great co-workers Managers that care about you as a person Don Post - best kept secret in Charlotte A variety of frequently (somewhat) changing, and mostly interesting work (see below)

Cons

As a consulting firm you have to fill the sales pipeline on an ongoing basis. This is true of almost all consulting firms and it means that you don't always get to choose what the next project is, or what it looks like. It can also create some uncertainty around the future, though this continues to be mitigated by positive organic growth.

Advice to Management

1. Don't let anyone find out about Don. 2. Keep treating people well.

Skookum, Inc.2018-11-30

"A great, flexible place to work"

I have been working at Skookum, Inc. full-time

Pros

Skookum provides a wonderful culture that anyone will feel welcome in. They have great benefits and a flexible work schedule which allows for a great quality of life while still maintaining a great career.

Cons

The company is growing fast and some of the structure is not in place yet for career growth. It's not clear what your future growth will look like at the company and there is no blueprint to achieve a raise or a promotion.

Skookum, Inc.2018-12-04

"Alot of hype but ultimately disappointing"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Skookum, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Free snacks and drinks - You will get to work with some intelligent individuals but you might have to put up with their arrogance/attitudes. These so called "brilliant jerks" are actually pretty common in engineering but there seems to be quite a high concentration of them in this company. Not even sure if you can count this as a pro to be honest. - If you stick around for a while, you will probably get a chance...

Cons

- Strange inner social circle. Feels like you have to hangout/get drunk with the people who have been there a long time in order to be accepted or fit in. I personally did not feel welcome. YMMV - I experienced some arrogance/elitism in this company which is unfortunate really. - It feels like this company used to have a strong "brogrammer culture" and there are still remnants of that all over the place. My guess...

Skookum, Inc.2018-12-06

"Don't buy the hype"

I worked at Skookum, Inc. full-time

Pros

Nice location uptown, flexible work hours.

Cons

Churn & burn here is super high. They pay ~60% of market and try to entice young people w/ snacks, beer, etc. Co-founders have never run a business prior to Skookum, so they treat it like it's their baby instead of a business. If you're not golfing and getting drunk w/ the co-founders, then don't be lulled into a sense of complacency by the "culture" and actually speak your mind.

Skookum, Inc.2018-11-19

"Great place for a developer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Skookum, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ Great work/life balance + Lots of room and opportunity and encouragement to learn new skills + Variety of work is fantastic + Working with a team of smart, hardworking coworkers + Still small enough to respond quickly to new organizational/management/restructuring needs. + Emphasis on culture and diversity

Cons

- Skookum has struggled to deliver on its promise to grow its second office - While there is support and opportunity for it, there is no framework in place for employee learning, growth, or advancement

Advice to Management

* Invest in People Operations * Continue to grow your presence and your team in Denver

Skookum, Inc.2018-07-30

"Exceptional People, Culture, and Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Skookum, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership is completely open to new ideas and gives staff the opportunity to execute on new learnings

Cons

No Skookum-specific cons that are out of the ordinary from any normal company such as: parking in the city can be tricky, some projects are more boring than others, etc..

Advice to Management

The team loves what you do - keep it going.

Skookum, Inc.2018-04-21
  10. "Skookum is a fantastic team with great drive and ambition"

Former Employee - Product Designer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Skookum, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are two things that will always be more important to me than work: family and health. Skookum understands that and has a flexible policy for work-from-home, vacation, and sick time. The culture is great. It's nice being able to look forward to work. That was a new experience for me. I loved the team and the administration.

Cons

I feel like some people were overwhelmed with work when they shouldn't have been. I noticed it across several projects. While you may not be the person who is bogged down with work, you can certainly find yourself and other members of your project team being affected. I really can't think of any true cons. There's room for growth in many areas, but I wouldn't really consider any of them to be deal breakers for me.

Advice to Management

Make sure that no one is needlessly overwhelmed with work (i.e. managing several large projects at the same time). Continue to gather feedback from the teams and maintain transparency.

Skookum, Inc.2017-10-14