Skullcandy Reviews

Skullcandy CEO Jason Hodell
Jason Hodell

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Culture is unmatched

May 10, 2022 - AR Analyst in Park City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-Life balance is A+. Fun crowd at the office.

Cons

Compensation lacks, but the benefits of the job close the gap.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Life Work Balance

Feb 22, 2022 - Mid-Level Industrial Designer in Park City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tremendous work life balance and location easy to take advantage of the amazing outdoor surroundings. People are positive and easy to get along with.

Cons

Very reactive company (always doing what the market already did). Leadership is forced to make decisions for near term financial gain over long term quality of the product. Not a tremendous amount of room for professional growth. Pay isn't phenomenal.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Skullcandy Attracts Great People

Jan 14, 2022 - Producer in Park City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Skullcandy's greatest asset is the people. For the most part, everyone is super cool and easy going, but they're also professionals and really good at what they do. It's great balance and I've had some of my favorite coworkers at Skullcandy - Fun brand to work with. It feels good to work for a "cool" brand - Skullcandy discounts & discounts for a lot of brands in the outdoor industry - Compensation & benefits are average - Option to WFH or go into the Park City office (for now)

Cons

- Compensation isn't competitive, especially in this job market. It didn't really feel like they were trying to change this while I was there, but hopefully it changes in the future. There are lots of talented people that are being underpaid, but stay because of the people at Skullcandy. - Some teams operate super lean. There are some pros to this, but some teams are overworked and unable to get approval to get new hires/contractors. Skullcandy is really focusing on profitability this year, but the consequence is more requests for teams and less people to execute on those requests. - Lack of upward mobility. It's a cool company, so you don't see a lot people leaving their job in higher roles. Skullcandy has also hit a "sweet spot" where it seems like they aren't trying to grow teams much more. Consequently, there's not a ton of room for career growth. For me personally, there was a clear path of progression for me. I applied for a couple of other positions within the company but there wasn't a lot of traction. - Some departments have a lack of direction and struggle to plan things out more than a couple of months in advance. There are usually rough plans laid out, but fair number of people have a general sense of "we'll figure it out as we get closer"

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Awesome Perks and Culture

Dec 21, 2021 - Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and perks. Everyone in the company is hard workings, friendly, and willing to share their experience and knowledge. There is a huge emphasis on working to live not living to work, and awesome discounts on Skullcandy product and other product in the outdoors industry.

Cons

The pay is a little low and the team runs lean. This often means picking up extra things to ensure the team and company’s success.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If You Ever Worked Somewhere You Hated This Is The Complete Opposite

Feb 5, 2021 - Marketing and Digital Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits my medical is so cheap, unlimited time off, so much flexibility, casual office environment while working on a cool product, work from home during COVID. HR even had masks shipped in for us when you couldn't find them anywhere back in April. The C-level are really good people and you could approach them at any time if you needed to. A incredible place to balance your work and personal life. You will work hard especially before Holiday but you will learn so much here.

Cons

You truly have to dig deep to find them. The people that are unhappy or complain here make me wonder if they've ever worked anywhere else or if they know how good they have it-some of my coworkers think they are entitled to everything so they just complain instead of looking elsewhere and that can get really frustrating for a team's mood. It is a small company so you might not get promoted unless someone above you leaves and while the compensation could be a bit higher based on how expensive Utah is getting most of it would not be worth leaving for.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Values, Situational Growth

Jan 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company and management encourage a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

Growth opportunities can be slim.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid Working Here

Dec 2, 2021 - IT Support in Park City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work in Park City...but if I'm being honest, this isn't exactly a positive thing. Not only will you get to work with snobby people, you'll be surrounded by them wherever you go....because it's located in Park City. May be suitable for audiophiles.

Cons

Double thumbs down on this one. I'd give Skullcandy zero or negative stars if it was an option. If you choose to work for this company, you'll get to work with a bunch of pretentious hipsters. And the worst part is, they don't even know it. Working for Skullcandy feels like being in junior high school all over again. If people don't like you, you'll know it. This is a company for the cool kids (except they're adults which makes it even worse). And if you're not one of the "cool" adults (whatever that means), you won't fit in. Please understand, however, that the previous statement is not a blanket; it does not apply to all of the people employed at Skullcandy. There were in fact, some pretty great and unique individuals that I was lucky enough to cross paths with, albeit few and far between. That being said...a few individual contributors cannot make up for the joke that is Skullcandy...Before I worked there, I was a Skullcandy customer, and thought to myself..."How great would it be to work for a company that has provided me a positive listening experience throughout the majority of my life?" WRONG! After working there, I don't even consider purchasing Skullcandy products. I'd rather purchase (60) $5.00 Walmart specials, or perhaps some Jaybirds, before buying Skullcandy; simply because working there was an absolute atrocity, fueled by psychological abuse. The perks at Skullcandy do not even come close to outweighing the cons. Please do yourself a favor and find a better opportunity; not only for your career, but for your own mental health.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Culture

Feb 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flex time, great employees and coworkers, perfect office location in Park City. Theres the ability to move up in your role and career and there are many people who have left the company and come back. That says a lot right there. They hire talented people and its sink or swim around here, if you don't cut it you don't last. In addition to the 401k match and discounted health insurance they also give a discount and partial reimbursement to gym and ski passes. There are half day Friday's in the summer which usually include a BBQ or grill out on the patio, and even food trucks. In addition to time off they also have company parties and events including department and company ski days on the mountain, holiday party and summer bash at the lake. The leadership team is reliable and trustworthy, they have a great vision and I would highly recommend working here.

Cons

I couldn't imagine a better place to work and the only con I can think of is that the coffee maker is pretty bad.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Like to work hard and play hard with world class teams? Skullcandy might be for you.

Feb 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of autonomy and opportunity to drive improvements and have an impact. Small and nimble, but big enough to have real industry impact. If you are looking for a high energy, fast paced place this could be for you. Make no mistake, you will work harder than you may ever have worked before but you will see the impacts and do it with some awesome people. If you are looking to coast, or for a 9-5, do not apply. Solid company values if you truly embrace them. Products are the best they've ever been and the marketing a brand is stronger than ever. World class teams.

Cons

Small and fast, but resources versus projects is always a challenges which means you will feel overworked at times. Certain positions require after hours factory calls and/or travel to asia (pre-pandemic). Communications can be wonky at times, meaning inefficiencies and a lot of meetings.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company!

Aug 24, 2021 - Marketing Producer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome people, fun environment, amazing work/life balance. They really care about their employees and that shows in their managers and the flex time.

Cons

Honestly in my short time I was very sad to leave but it came down to pay.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 91 Reviews

Skullcandy Reviews FAQs

Skullcandy has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 100 reviews left anonymously by employees. 89% of employees would recommend working at Skullcandy to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Skullcandy employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Skullcandy. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

89% of Skullcandy employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Skullcandy 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Skullcandy to be senior leadership, benefits, culture and the cons to be management, career development, compensation.

Popular Careers with Skullcandy Job Seekers