Skullcandy Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Skullcandy CEO Jason Hodell
Jason Hodell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance is unmatched to any company I have been a part of" (in 7 reviews)

• "Awesome work environment and culture" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pure ignorance and arrogance at the senior management levels" (in 3 reviews)

• "Lots of good people left the company over the past year" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, flexible schedule, fair compensation & solid benefits package, interesting challenges, room to grow, ability to influence decisions and make truly great products, culture of making employees feel appreciated and rewarded for achieving goals

Cons

Sometimes working with teams in other time zones can require a lot of travel or calls at odd hours.

"A collaborative and cool place to spend your whole day."

Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere here is super laid back. Everyone is friendly and smiling, and everyone is really committed to creating amazing products and a great brand. Lots of people who work here have been here for 4 or 5 years or more, which is a good indicator of great company culture, and lots of opportunities for growth.

I never feel awkward, like I don't know how to spend my time, nor do I feel overworked or micro-managed. Also, there is a skateboard ramp in the lobby, and a pool table, and a basketball court, and I have never been looked at sideways for taking a break to stretch my legs or pass some time.

Skullcandy is a small company, so I interact with people from a variety of perspectives and professional backgrounds, which makes for a really cross-functional and collaborative work environment.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like I have too much freedom. Like I could literally take 3 weeks and when I got back everyone would be like, "How was your trip! I'm sure its better than sitting meetings and drinking subpar coffee!"

3. "Incredible Place To Work"

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Skullcandy's work culture is nothing short of incredible. The people couldn't be more laid back and the culture couldn't be more fun. Cultural bonuses include half day Fridays in the summer where everyone literally stops working at noon to have a beer, eat food, and hang out! When people aren't dropping in the mini ramp or hitting up the basketball court in the office, the professional side of the environment has continued to support my personal desire to learn and develop new skills related to my profession. Skullcandy even paid for me to take classes from a third party to improve my software skills, simply because I expressed my interest to learn. Friends and family are constantly jealous when they find I get to work in such a progressive and exciting environment. Working here has been an incredible experience.

Cons

Cons are few and far between. Every company has growing pains along with shifts in management which Skullcandy has seen plenty of in the recent years. People tend to keep to themselves from time to time, but as soon as you introduce yourself you'll find everyone's super friendly!

4. "Best company to work for!"

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time

Pros

This company is incredible. I wake up everyday stoked to come to work and thankful I work at Skullcandy. The teams here take ownership and pride in their work and everyone works so hard its contagious. On the flip side, we play hard too. The work life balance is unmatched to any company I have been a part of. There is so much opportunity for growth and senior management pours into their direct employees making it possible to advance in any role. The company is constantly innovating and thinking toward the future. The office space is incredible and a happy place to spend 40+ hours a week. Skullcandy is the place to be!

Cons

Good / healthy snacks would be a great addition.

5. "Very special place to work!"

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time

Pros

Amazing co-workers
    Awesome office attitude
    Incredible work space
    Above average pay
    Very flexible schedule
    Great work life balance
    Excellent Managment

Cons

This is hard, because no place is perfect, but this is pretty damn close. So I guess I would say since it is a small company job security could be question.

6. "Unlike any other company!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work in the beautiful Wasatch Mountains!

Cons

More competitive compensation is encouraged

Advice to Management

Retain talented employees

7. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time

Pros

Growing company, with a strong culture that supports each individual employee

Cons

With the consistent changes in product technology, speed to market is always a priority to deliver results and stay ahead of the competition. This is a motivator for some employees, and a stress point for others.

8. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Skullcandy. We have talented people who work extremely hard. I sincerely like my coworkers and enjoy the low key but productive vibe in the office. We have great work life balance and passion to beat the bigger companies.

Cons

We run lean so you need to be willing to do what needs to be done. Saying, "That's not my job," is not an option here. The market also shifts quickly so you must be okay working through change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing but don't be afraid to hold people that aren't performing accountable.

9. "Fun, Entrepreneurial Culture!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can recommend any idea and it will be considered. You can really change processes and make a difference at any level within the company. The culture is fun and active, and you are able to work with great employees who work hard and play hard.

Cons

Fast pace and headcount is lean so you have to move fast and stay efficient!!

10. "There's Nothing Like It"

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing leaders that are seasoned and not chasing careers status. They're here because they believe in the company and know how to help it succeed. Incredible culture that's family-like and cares equally about work and play. Really young culture too.

Cons

The only true con is that the kitchen doesn't have more food, which is hardly a complaint. Right next to the kitchen is a pool table and mini ramp - this place rules.