Skullcandy "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Skullcandy Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated May 23, 2018

4.4
Skullcandy CEO Jason Hodell
Jason Hodell
Pros
  • "Provides great work/life balance for people able to manage their time wisely(in 9 reviews)

• "Company with a 'can do' culture, inclusive and open work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pure ignorance and arrogance at the senior management levels(in 3 reviews)

• "Young work force makes getting work done a little difficult(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative work environment, flexible schedule, fair compensation & solid benefits package, interesting challenges, room to grow, ability to influence decisions and make truly great products, culture of making employees feel appreciated and rewarded for achieving goals

Cons

Sometimes working with teams in other time zones can require a lot of travel or calls at odd hours.

Skullcandy2018-05-23
  2. "great place, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company with a 'can do' culture, inclusive and open work environment. Great products and a fantastic team.

Cons

Tightly resourced everybody is pretty busy or even maxed out.

Skullcandy2018-05-22

"A collaborative and cool place to spend your whole day."

Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere here is super laid back. Everyone is friendly and smiling, and everyone is really committed to creating amazing products and a great brand. Lots of people who work here have been here for 4 or 5 years or more, which is a good indicator of great company culture, and lots of opportunities for growth. I never feel awkward, like I don't know how to spend my time, nor do I feel overworked or... micro-managed. Also, there is a skateboard ramp in the lobby, and a pool table, and a basketball court, and I have never been looked at sideways for taking a break to stretch my legs or pass some time. Skullcandy is a small company, so I interact with people from a variety of perspectives and professional backgrounds, which makes for a really cross-functional and collaborative work environment.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like I have too much freedom. Like I could literally take 3 weeks and when I got back everyone would be like, "How was your trip! I'm sure its better than sitting meetings and drinking subpar coffee!"

Skullcandy2018-05-16
  4. "Used to be a lot of fun..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Skullcandy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid back work environment, new HQ is pretty nice too!

Cons

HR is a joke. So many changes that I watched over half the company quit (voluntarily or not) while I was there. The culture took a major turn and the overall feeling of morale is not happy. The few people I remain in contact with there are not happy.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. It's sad to see so much talent that has walked out those doors for good.

Skullcandy2018-05-23

"Skullcandy"

Skullcandy in Park City, UT

I worked at Skullcandy for more than a year

Pros

Awesome work environment and culture

Cons

Sometimes a bit disorganized.

Skullcandy2016-01-18
  6. "Great work environment and dedication to the craft"

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Skullcandy for less than a year

Pros

I worked here as a freelance designer for a few months, I was linked up through a talent agency. - the Creative Director Dino Manuel is great to work with and passionate about the product - good staff, everyone is dedicated to doing beautiful work - work environment is fun, snacks and coffee is provided - team meals help bond people together

Cons

- 45 min -1 hour commute to work from where I worked - doesn't seem to have many long term employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Skullcandy2015-01-30

"Good job if you're single and live in Park City."

I worked at Skullcandy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good, fun people for the most part, the 'prestige' of working for somewhere 'cool' like Skullcandy (you might see a celebrity or pro athlete! OMG!). The perks if you value them. Casual work environment & flexibility. There are good departments, positions, managers - if you can actually land that job.

Cons

Make no mistake that this is corporation with human resources purposefully stretched thin all dressed up in 'culture' - and this lipstick-on-a-pig is 100% for the benefit of shareholders (not you or your career). The ideal employee is someone who is single, lives in Park City, wants their entire social & work life to be the same, and thinks the skiing at the Canyons is great (worst resort skiing in the Wasatch FYI).... All the big talk is designed to keep you strung along on a meager salary - don't lose sight of the fact that you are a $ amount that can be replaced at any time. Especially true since every snowboarder, skater, and college grad is willing to take the lowest pay possible to work at the brand they identified with when they were a teenager. Almost 100 people including the majority of upper management left the company in the couple years after going public. With virtually no backfill for these positions, the additional workload was spread around the company with little more than a high five for 'just doing your job'. This barebones operation continues: expect to wear many hats and have your performance held to unrealistic standards, but paid entry-level high-school-grad salary. Instead of promoting from within (the reason to take an entry level job here in the first place) they typically resort to hiring externally to fill low to mid-level management positions ("we need the PERFECT candidate"). It is no secret at the company that one of the main metrics of job performance is who is still there at 7pm 'getting the work done done done'. HR is more concerned with ordering pizza and having food trucks come by to 'get you stoked' than actually fighting for employees and doing meaningful work. Lots of sleeping with each other / married leading to unprofessional conflicts of interest. If this was such a dream employer then there would be only one or two open positions available every year. Good place to learn for a year or two, not a good place to stay. Word of warning - the hiring / interview process will take a long time - don't expect an interview for 2-3 months, and then another 2-3 months to make a decision and approve budget for said position.

Advice to Management

Buy back the shares and take the company private - going public killed its soul and made margins more important than people.

Skullcandy2015-01-22
  8. "Awesome culture and inspiring senior leadership team."

Current Employee -  in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time

Pros

-Culture: flexible scheduling, casual dress, fun people, and creative work environment -Senior Leadership: communication is clear and often from the top. Our senior leaders have a true passion for the products and come with a lot of solid experience. None of them sit in a corner office and instead are very visible and active with the rest of the team. Employees are publicly acknowledged for their successes.... -Work-ethic: this is not a place for clock watchers. Employees work hard and often late to get the job done! -Opportunity: there is so much opportunity to directly affect change at Skullcandy and to create new processes and/or alter existing ones.

Cons

The team is small and so people normally are responsible for work that at other companies might spread across 2-4 people. This can be overwhelming BUT if you love the brand/products and are able to prioritize & strategize around your space, it's very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication coming!

Skullcandy2014-04-07
  9. "Fun work environment and culture, below market pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flex time, fun work environment, new ideas can be accepted

Cons

Sometimes Patronizing senior management, low wages

Advice to Management

Change management could be improved to help create some continuity when an individual leaves.

Skullcandy2014-03-29