Sky Betting & Gaming Lead Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Ian Proctor
  1. "On the up"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time

Pros

I think it's fair to say that SkyBet, like any other company, has had it's ups-and-downs; however, senior management are making great efforts to improve transparency in communicating the business decisions and market trends that affect the way we work. Also, teams are being given decent autonomy over ways of working, technology usage and approaches to solving problems, which is one of the things the company... prides itself upon. Management (head of technology, directors) have made efforts to have 1-2-1's with us and have given us a platform to provide feedback and speak honestly and openly about things that could be done better. I personally think this a big step to take as it removes the 'ivory tower' feeling you get when you think about directors and upper management! On the whole, there does feel like a culture of leaderhsip over management. We follow the Spotify structure, and I think that being part of a couple of guilds has improved my knowledge of my role, as well as increased aware of others, such as a DevOps. We also have started 'fire drills' which will help us better understand problems whenever there's a live incident. Tech Ninja fund - speaks for itself really. Oh, and we have a beer fridge :)

Cons

As we are building the website for the Italian market, there sometimes feels like a there's a slight disconnect between the Rome team and ourselves based in Sheffield, but that will come from any business that's spanned across different geographical locations. As we work with 3rd party suppliers, development and testing can be hindered when we have to wait ages for them to provide a fix (I'm not sure if our... sprints and the 3rd party's are aligned, so if you identify a problem, you might have to wait 2 weeks for the 3rd party's next release until you get a solution. Even then, it might not meet the criteria!).

Advice to Management

Send us to work on site with our suppliers, or bring them into our office a bit more often - the benefits of collaboration are well understood within our own company, but we can deliver faster if we can have 1-2-1 contact with some of our suppliers.

Sky Betting & Gaming2017-02-16
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work Modern technology used No fixed way of working Teams have a lot of control

Cons

Steep learning curve (technology and process) Large variety of work Large estate of systems to learn about

Advice to Management

Keep trusting the teams. Help us improve the way we work. Keep continuing to improve.

Sky Betting & Gaming2017-01-11