Sky Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Sky CEO  Jeremy Darroch
Jeremy Darroch
  1. "Very good employer"

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Sky

Pros

good working standards, good contractor rates.

Cons

Parking is not available for contractors

Sky2020-01-23
  2. "Growing company with big tech ambitions!"

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Sky for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people and teams. Large company so lots of opportunities. Great working environment and campus.

Cons

Not in Central London. Can stagnate if not motivated.

Sky2020-01-03
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Out of touch with technology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Livingston, Scotland

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits , good work life balance

Cons

Lots of journey men happy with status quo

Sky2019-11-19

"Not really a tech company"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some of the best benefits in the business (9% company pension contribution, free Sky TV, on-site gym) - Great approach to work-life balance - Actively engaged in the well-being (mental and physical) of staff

Cons

- All major technical decisions are made by non-technical staff based on financials - All changes must be costed - Recruitment works on a "yes to everyone that applies" basis due to high churn - Grad scheme effectiveness depends on patronage - A highly political promotion environment - you are far more likely to be promoted if the hiring manager is your friend than if you are actually competent - The system admin departments still think it's the 90s - Middle management has no real training at managing people

Sky2019-10-13
  6. "Fun company, a bit maverick, nice experience"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Brentwood, England

I have been working at Sky for more than a year

Pros

Spacious and modern offices, great location, great atmosphere, a real sense of community, everybody very level and approachable. Sky is a comparatively large company, but retains much of the nature of a start-up. Sometimes "Believe in better" rings a bit hollow, but "Made by us" is very true: Sky has never hesitated to break the mold, going so far as designing their own, branded 3-pin electric plugs. Why not? Sky has never been content with repackaging and rebranding off-the-shelf solutions, and enjoys being a bit different, being the one that makes others wonder "what will they do next?"

Cons

The flip side of the positive. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Projects spinning out of control, management not knowing what's going on, a sometimes lazy and careless attitude among some employees, groups and entities that are totally entrenched and impenetrable while showing no corporate spirit , engagement, or responsibility. Giant baby, a massively overgrown start-up, a lack of maturity and structure. But Sky is what you make of it: be positive, and the negatives fade into insignificance.

Sky2019-09-22
  7. "Worst company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon

I worked at Sky full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only the company name. Please read my Advice To Management.

Cons

It was my worst experience in a company. The teams work under pressure, the leader that I worked with is a big-headed guy and doesn't like to receive feedback. - Salary - Micromanagement - No collaboration teams, but competition a lot. - No participation in decisions. - Ego >>>>>> people

Sky2019-10-03
  8. "Modern and Professional"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Livingston, Scotland

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sky is a great, modern company to work for with really good benefits, good career oportunities and interesting work.

Cons

Location is the only con I can think of, Livingston isn't great.

Sky2019-08-27
  9. "Corporate company trying to be agile"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary package Very good benefit Subsided gym and food Work Life balance

Cons

Corporate culture (pretending to be agile) You need to be part of inner circle to progress, your technical knowledge does not get you anywhere (glass ceiling) Managers are not trained

Sky2019-09-08

"Great perks, interesting projects"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Sky full-time

Pros

Good culture, friendly atmosphere. Great pension, free private healthcare, free life assurance, work laptop, nice office spaces, free Sky TV & broadband. Good facilities on campus including subsidised cafes and restaurants, supermarkets, subsidised gym, subsidised dry cleaners, mail room. Working hours are very good.

Cons

Need to be on duty in the evening sometimes for emergency technical problems with services - but you get compensated 0.5 days holiday for every week on duty.

Sky2019-08-10

"Spiteful and demoralising"

Former Employee - Mid Software Engineer in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky full-time for more than a year

Pros

A while ago i would have listed a lot more, The people and the team are great and make it a fun place to work. Relaxed culture in terms of dress codes.

Cons

Where to start. We work with Scotland teams who are hell bent on trying to belittle us in Leeds, and question everything we do. We just get bollocked when things go wrong even though its either nothing to do with us and Livi's issue, or bad product management. Tech Leadership in Leeds is vapid and uninspiring, they went for a yes person who has zero tech knowledge, his DC Labs Town Hall sessions are hilarious. Too much out of hours work too, senior managements expectations are somewhat unrealistic in DCL. For a company that is trying to promote better mental health in the workplace, practice what you preach as stress and anxiety is rife.

Sky2019-07-02