SkyKick Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Product Specialist"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SkyKick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, great working environment, great perks, working on solving cool problems. Great company direction. It's all been great.

Cons

Commuting could be difficult with the changes to SR-99. Steep learning curve. Startup mentality translates to training programs that aren't as established as those of a larger company. Nothing major to list here.

"General Review"

I have been working at SkyKick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Skykick has people very committed to doing their jobs and growing the company. Has such great potential with a product that customers seem to buy at a steadily increasing rate

Cons

start-up chaos abounds and reviews with postive or negative consequences seem to be non-existent. There are people here who should not be and they think it won't change so they are phoning it in

Advice to Management

Fix the product, remove the tech debt, hold people accountable regardless of who they knew when they were hired. Pay us for what we accomplish, not for fogging a mirror.

3. "Engineering Team Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SkyKick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where to start?

Our executive team has a vision, a passion and commitment to crushing our goals and making our partners happy. This isn't just a slogan or a tagline. The philosophy of excellence while being humble and passionate is embodied by every SkyKick employee. We are all on the same mission, with the same set of goals. There is a bi-directional bond of trust from the top of the company downward.

My managers and team members are the best in the industry. Got ideas? Have Concerns? Bring 'em! There are no 'official channels' limiting your creativity. Bring it to the CxO! Elitism and egos are not permitted. Everyone is an open book, willing to share information, receive feedback or provide guidance. You may be working with a specific product group, but the "One Team" concept is paramount to our continued success.

SkyKicker's are genuine, honest, humble, smart, passionate and hard working. I have been doing this for 25 years, and I haven't met a better group of co-workers.

Some other cool stuff:

- "Work From Home" is not only available, but is encouraged if it helps your work/life balance.
    - Remote employees are flown in twice a year to celebrate and collaborate during our annual Summer and Holiday parties/events. This does wonders for team cohesiveness and unity.
    - Food, Drinks, Snacks and 'Adult Beverages' ... stocked regularly and requests are taken!

I can go on and on.... but I like to point out that the Glassdoor reviews for SkyKick are 100% legitimate. There are no 'shill' entries. We really are that proud of what we have accomplished and the environment we have fostered. And we would love to have you join us!

Cons

SkyKick was built on ambition, passion and some incredibly talented engineering. Newcomers can feel like they are drinking knowledge from a fire hose. It can be a little overwhelming at first. You need to be a self-starter and love being inundated with new concepts and knowledge.

I'm not so sure that is a con, because the management staff and fellow team members are here to support each other. Patience and passion are key.

The only real cons (to me) are:
    - The Mercer traffic to/from the HQ can be a drag.
    - The choice of going home or staying at the office can be difficult because our working environment is so comfortable and relaxing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

4. "SkyKick Overview"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SkyKick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The overall culture is great here. There is an amazing work life balance and the company treats you well with an annual Christmas and Summer party.

Cons

I wish the location was closer to I-5, but that is truly the only downfall.

"Total Management Chaos"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at SkyKick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Complementary beverages and snacks. Semi-annual liquor-heavy work parties with free Uber rides home for those who consume too much to drive.

Cons

The company is run entirely by directors hired through nepotism, rather than experience, competence or skill. These directors have created a top-down management structure where the primary goal is for their subordinates to make them feel important and powerful, rather than allowing employees the ability to work and think independently or provide constructive feedback without retaliation.

Recruitment of new employees is based around selling the culture of "work hard play hard" and teasing recruits with the suggestion the options will soon be worth their weight in gold, in exchange for low starting salaries. They will claim these starting salaries are temporary until you "prove yourself" but in reality (and I know this from talking independently to two former recruiters) their primary goal is to hire previously unemployed employees at the lowest pay possible, and keep them underpaid for as long as possible. This has created a workforce mostly inexperienced and under-qualified to handle the issues and workloads placed upon them. Many, as I did, see the position as a worthwhile sacrifice, a stepping stone to a potential bright future of higher pay and higher status. It is not.

To be fair, working at SkyKick seems like a lot of fun at first. After about a month everyone begins to see the overwhelming damage caused by years of awful mismanagement. There is no system, no process, no application that works in an efficient manner. Most of every employee's time is spent performing manual menial tasks that are sold to their customers as "automated services". As a support representative your job is effectively to continuously lie to customers, suggesting their issues with the product are unusual, or that their issues are related to a newly released feature that is designed to improve on existing processes. The bottom line is the technologies being sold only barely function and the unique niche of their particular type of service continues to attract new customers who don't know any better, and have few other options. New employees at SkyKick are pushed to the front lines to act as punching bags while the more experienced employees hide behind them and pretend like nothing's wrong while they drink free beer and play ping pong.

Ultimately the worst part of working at SkyKick is the complete lack of standardized and objective measurement of employee performance. As a result, most employees realize that they don't need to do much work if they simply please the directors. This leaves a majority of the most difficult work to be left to a small subset of the newest and least experienced employees who are least able to handle the problems effectively. This structure has caused massive resentment from the individuals actually performing most of the work. And if anyone speaks up to say someone else is not pulling their weight, management turns a blind eye especially if that employee is good at pleasing the managers. About 1/2 the employees in the entire company do virtually nothing and are well respected in return. The other half do all the work and are not promoted if they have ever suggested the systems need improving or that others are not pulling their weight.

Advice to Management

To run a successful company in IT, you need to hire managers and directors that have significant experience with efficiently running IT companies with an intuitive sense of what professional management structures look like. Your mangers and directors hired through nepotism, rather than experience or skill, are the fundamental reason your company is a rolling dumpster fire that doesn't know how to operate.

Create a means of measuring and standardizing employee performance, allowing people to be promoted (and paid) based on hard facts reflecting their actual contribution to the company.

Stop allowing well liked but poorly performing employees and managers to freewheel and put all the work on others.

Stop pretending the products that are sold are high quality. Stop pretending the "automation" is anything more than a handful of people manually flipping switches.

Establish an honest feedback system where employees and support engineers can directly provide feedback about systems that don't work properly and establish a structure where this information is neither lost nor forgotten. Assign these issues to an employee to fix and create a timeline for them to be fixed, with objective rewards for succeeding.

Ultimately, stop pretending you're better than you are. The lack of honesty and self awareness within the company has created massive rifts of trust. Every startup has growing pains, but they are only solved through sober acknowledgement and genuine attention to creating realistic solutions.

Evan and Todd are good guys at heart. They have found a very unique and valuable niche in the IT world and that's the only reason their company is successful despite the significant lack of product quality and management experience of the directors. For the most part all of the realities illustrated above are carefully hidden from Evan and Todd by their directors. They hold company meetings where the only topic of conversation is how awesome everything is, like they're the smoothest running company in the world. Anyone who works at that company for very long knows of the chaos and incredibly poor efficiency of day to day operations. Those who are happy there either simply don't know better, or are high enough up in the company to easily ride the delusion of success without being held personally responsible for fixing anything.

"Team Lead"

I have been working at SkyKick full-time

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for! This company truly cares about their employees.

Cons

Very busy, challenging to keep up with volume.

Advice to Management

None, management is very involved in everyday business and people.

"Heavy Startup Culture (Support Team review)"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at SkyKick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SkyKick is a great company to work for. A collaborative and challenging environment stems from the fact that the company is a little 6 years old and in many facets acts like a startup. Everyone is passionate about the team and the work they do, in addition to an extremely fast and agile developer team, issues are reported and resolved fairly quickly. Through and through, the collaborative nature of the team makes working at SkyKick feel like you are part of a big family.

Cons

Though working here makes you feel like you are part of a family, it seems this family is not without their own communication issues or knowledge gap limitations.
    As SkyKick's product is built in-house and completely proprietary, most of the training program for the Support Team consists of shadowing and on-the job training.
    With a heavy emphasis on internal knowledge, it takes quite some time to ramp up at this organization.
    Furthermore, due to the startup culture, the existing "feedback loop" is relatively non-existent or has yet to be built, or if you feel one exists, you could be way off.

Advice to Management

Build in a feedback loop, with the goal of developing your new hires, regular check-ins, and performance management "by design" can help lead to a more scalable Support Team as retention increases and the knowledge bank builds.

The hierarchy in the Support Team leaves a weird taste as it is not traditional or dynamic or flexible.

It appears as if (Support Team) leadership is promoted based off of tenure, regardless of existing qualities of being a 'leader' or promoting internal growth.

Suggestion: Management and leadership should keep a keen eye and support their new hires to the best of their abilities. It is a terrible feeling when a Team Lead indicates everything is going great, then the next week you're on the chopping block.

Where's the conversation about performance?
    Where's the conversation about being a good "fit"?

Where's the dynamic feedback loop?

"Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SkyKick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely passionate and , fast moving, and flexible tech company driven to take over The Cloud and provide our partners with top of the line support.

Cons

SkyKick is a very fast pace and competitive environment which can lead to stressful work situations, albeit they pay off in the end :)

Advice to Management

Keep Crushing It!

"A startup with a massive amount of potential"

I have been working at SkyKick full-time

Pros

Super passionate group across the board that knows how special the product they developing is and the potential it has. They are willing to look past what is written on someone's resume and take into account skill set, personality and "fit" for the company culture.

Growth potential is enormous and the future will be bright as long as weaknesses in the product, team and overall goals are acknowledged and ironed out.

Cons

Internal communication could be way better with the product development leadership not taking into account legitimate feedback from the actual users of the product. The "on paper" design is sometimes held to a "this is how it actually works and/or is used" gold standard when the reality is the exact opposite.

The perception by some long-time employees is that they are beyond the startup phase when, in reality, they are not due to how stubborn they are about putting in place accountability checks. There is a "fear" about being "too corporate" as if those are all bad things.

Advice to Management

Listen to the team that actually knows the true real word ins/outs of the products that are being developed. Numbers "on-paper" don't actually mean anything if they're false and are holding back product development.

Listen more to your employees that are trying to bring their work experiences to the table in an effort to make things better.

"Great people, challenging and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SkyKick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong leadership. In all departments, employees are engaged in the work and the company mission. Hard work and contributions are recognized. It's a healthy work atmosphere and culture.

Cons

It's a start up, so not everything is figured out. But that is an opportunity for people that have an entrepreneur mindset.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people with positive perspectives, excited to build and collaborate.