SkyWest Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SkyWest Airlines President and Chief Executive Officer Chip Childs
Chip Childs

Pros
  • Best flight benefits in the industry (in 91 reviews)

• Amazing Travel Benefits, Wonderful People (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Ridiculously low pay (in my station I got paid less than a local fast-food worker) (in 38 reviews)

• Working as a flight attendant you will be away from home during holidays and weekends (in 8 reviews)

1. "Flight Ops"

Current Employee - Crew Time Coordinator in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Crew Time Coordinator in Saint George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Spectacular place to work. Some of the best people in the world. Great Travel and time off benefits.

Cons

Low wages, a lot of gossip

Advice to Management

More flexibility to travel, somewhat better wages

"More pros than cons at Skywest!"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, flight benefits, flexibility, quick seniority, quarterly bonuses after 1 year employment. Everyone here at Skywest has been nothing but helpful and great! I love the company morale and we get the best flight benefits in the business. The grass looks better at our mainline partners (pay, quality of life, union, and such), but the whole industry is about "seniority" and my seniority at Skywest is moving up much faster than it would at any one of our mainline partners which makes my job much more flexible. We have the best selection of domiciles to chose from. Instructors during training were great and very helpful and you can see how much they love their job and the company they work for. Company provides uniform during training, and after 1 year of employment we get a quarterly allotment for new uniform pieces. Highest paying regional. Quarterly bonus$$. I really love my job.

Cons

Reserve life at any airline is hard. Long hours. The pay for the amount of hours we work is a hard adjustment once you start working the line but gets better after 1 year. Training was 31 days with only 2 days off for the whole time we were there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Great benefits and environment. Pay is not competitive though."

Current Employee - Aircraft Records Specialist in St. George, UT
    Current Employee - Aircraft Records Specialist in St. George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits are amazing.

Environment is nice.

Cons

Pay isn't competitive compared to similar jobs elsewhere.

5. "Really Great Company"

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every team I've worked with, I liked
    People here really care about each other
    Tons of advancement opportunities
    Great benefits

Cons

Aviation work is pretty technical

"Flight Attendant: Good flight benefits...not much else."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits are pretty good, except you'll never have priority over the other airline's direct employees on the standby list. Friendly crews

Cons

228 hours of reserve time per month, low pay, unreasonably long days, constant turnover of employees, ridiculous training program, employees not valued.

Advice to Management

Demonstrate value of your employees instead of just giving lip service to it and maybe Skywest wouldn't lose at least half of each training class within 12 months of graduation!

"Flight attendant"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Denver, CO

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company who values their employees, treats them with respect and dignity I would highly recommend this airline to anyone who wants to be a flight attendant.

Cons

I really have no negative feelings about this company the only downside is being on reserve but that's to be expected wherever you go.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do this company will continue to climb the ladder of success!

"Good benefits, poor leadership"

Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent
    Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on your stations, standby flight benefits on United, Delta, and for some American. Delta gives buddy passes after 1 year, United lets you enroll one person outside your family if you are married. Parents, spouse, and dependents travel free. Inter-airline agreement allows discounts on dozens of other airlines, cruise discounts, hotel discounts. This job is incredible (for the benefits only) if you are single or if you are retired.

Cons

Extremely rigid rules/not much flexibility on the companies end, but high expectations for flexibility on the employees end. Ridiculously low pay (in my station I got paid less than a local fast-food worker). High turnover, poor training, bad scheduling, and above and below wing equipment always breaking. These are all tolerable and worth the benefit if you travel a lot, but at some stations you get schedules that don't allow you to travel and it isn't worth it in that case. You are required to work 24hrs ever two weeks and if you are at a good station, you can get it to work out, but some stations you're going to have to work 5 days a week as a part-timer, and that is NOT worth it. The biggest issue, though, is that most supervisors and managers aren't good leaders. They've worked their way up (put time in) in the company and have never received training for how to lead and support, so there is a lot of negativity, passive aggression, and not enough positive reinforcement coming from leaderships.

Advice to Management

Recognize your position as someone who can build a positive culture and create a supportive environment to prevent common issues (lost bags, late plane departures, etc.) instead of criticizing your employees after the mistakes are made. Get some training in how to be an effective leader.

"FA"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has family feel, benefits

Cons

Base locations and no union

10. "FA"

Pros

Great Company, Professional, Flexible, Great Benefits

Cons

Reserve takes getting used to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Everyone says they're great"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supposedly some of the best treatment for FAs in the regional business, though I have no basis for comparison. Conservative business practices makes you feel your job is safe in an industry of mergers and furloughs. Generally kind people.

Cons

Proudly anti-union, overworked, underpaid FAs but this seems to be the industry. i think any of my gripes would be with the commercial aviation industry and the treatment and pay of their crew members, support staff (cleaners, catering), low expectations are the norm in exchange for flight perks to make up for sub-par pay.

Advice to Management

Show your for your people on the front lines in more than empty words.