SkyWest Airlines Cross-Utilized Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SkyWest Airlines President and Chief Executive Officer Chip Childs
Chip Childs

Pros
Cons
  • Ridiculously low pay (in my station I got paid less than a local fast-food worker) (in 41 reviews)

• Working as a flight attendant you will be away from home during holidays and weekends (in 9 reviews)

1. "Definitely not a cubicle job - work inside and out"

Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Butte, MT
    Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Butte, MT

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Fun Job Great Travel Benefits - work is always challenging but having the opportunity to work counter, gate and ramp is super!! Love the diversity and meeting folks from Everywhere!

Cons

Very low Pay - split shift hours - flight loads periodically make it hard to utilize your flight benefits - sometimes stressful

2. "Could of been good"

I worked at SkyWest Airlines part-time

Pros

Initially started working at skywest for the flight benefits , which ,when you were able to get stand by were great.

Cons

During orientation they present themselves as an organized and well educated company.Once you are back at the station,the supervisors know barely more then you. They pay you minimum wage to know the ins and outs of several planes, and expect you to learn their ancient computer reservation system to work the counter after. You end of spending your shift running back and forth from inside dealing with disappointed customers,to outside running around with an understaffed tran turning a plane.

Advice to Management

Keep your counter/ customer team inside,and well trained on their responsibilities. Allow your ramp team to remain on the ramp.

3. "Cross Utilized"

Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Bozeman, MT

Pros

I love working with Skywest when the people there work as a team and it is generally a great team! The atmosphere is wonderful, especially if you like a fast-paced environment. The benefits are also exceptional, being that you can travel for little to no cost on standby.

Cons

The pay is an obvious downside to this job. Such a low pay-grade means one has to work extra hours to make enough for a living wage, or find a second job, leaving no time for the travel the job is often intended for.

Advice to Management

Provide employees with an option set schedule to create a better system of utilizing the benefits they are given.

5. "Love the flight benefits!"

Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Gypsum, CO
    Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Gypsum, CO

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free flights. Flexible. Fun work.

Cons

low pay, extreme temperatures, cancellations

"If you have a genuine love for this industry, DON'T WORK HERE, SkyWest will be sure to destroy it."

Former Employee - Cross Utilized Agent in Hays, KS
    Former Employee - Cross Utilized Agent in Hays, KS

I worked at SkyWest Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good flight benefits if you can get enough time off to use them. OVERALL, THOUGH, THIS COMPANY IS TERRIBLE AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE. FIND AN AIRLINE THAT RESPECTS AND VALUES ITS EMPLOYEES.

Cons

-Horrible station management in HYS. Low pay. Terrible hours. Toxic work environment. Complete disregard for employee safety or familial status. Corporate management unable to deal with or rectify incompetent station management. . Consistent and constant unethical behavior unfortunately is the demonstrated norm- the complete opposite of the Pollyanna song and dance they feed you during your new hire training. No support of any kind from station management during irregular operations, no positive support of any kind. Ever. No privacy, my station manager and supervisor used my ID and password without my knowledge or consent to access my private information and communications within the company regularly. Recruiting personnel blatantly lie during hiring process saying they will work around another job (since the low pay low hour entry level jobs they offer are not even close to allowing you to support yourself) and then they DON"T.

Advice to Management

Seriously rethink management personnel in HYS or close station altogether.( As soon as the government funding goes away so will SkyWest, after all.) Don't tell employees that they are "part of the SkyWest family" in training only to send them to a station where the cold, brutal reality is the manager has no clue or desire to operate a station in a functional or positive fashion. When an employee complains of unethical business practices regularly taking place DO something about it (like what is discussed during training) don't just blow it off. Disband the so called "employee advocate groups" within the company because they don't actually do anything, except maintain the illusion that the company actually cares (they do not.) If you hire management that only wants 20 year old males working at that station then hire 20 year old males...otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time, money, and effort. In addition, don't try to sell your low paying part time positions to applicants as having " flexible scheduling" as a perk when there's no such option and in reality refuse to work around any other job. Because the "needs of the station" are more important than needs of the employee to survive on even the most basic level. My part time cross utilized agent position didn't even pay for fuel most of the time.

7. "You have to love it"

Current Employee - Cross Utilized Agent in Hibbing, MN
    Current Employee - Cross Utilized Agent in Hibbing, MN

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is awesome and it's a genuinely fun job to come to every day. Also getting flight benefits on multiple airlines is a plus.

Cons

Unfortunately the pay sucks. If you don't use your flight benefits, it's just going to suck for you. We work here because we love to travel, definitely not for the pay.

"Terrible management and no corporate support. They make you pay your own medical and dental."

Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Reno, NV

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flight benefits. There's really no other reason to work here.

Cons

The regional area managers are opinionated and don't treat people fairly. This company survives on attrition

Advice to Management

Replace all your regional managers. Morale is lower than ever.

9. "GREAT benefits, but not without a downside"

Former Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at SkyWest Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers, pay raises every year (twice in the first year after 6 and 12 months), effective training, and the benefits!

Cons

Management is understanding, but not effective; too little pay for the work, and the benefits don't completely justify the low pay.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more proactive to increase efficiency. Management is too held up in offices to be aware of what goes on without radio communications.

"Skywest is terrible to employees and customers"

Former Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Bozeman, MT

I worked at SkyWest Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits on Skywest, good co-workers although they don't last.

Cons

Pay and respect. Skywest does not value their employees or customers. Constant turnover.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with a little more respect. Getting a paycuts when you make $9/hour, springing mandatory hours with no notice. That is just mean.

11. "SkyWest Airlines needs a lot of work"

Former Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Cross-Utilized Agent in Fargo, ND

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SkyWest is a good company to work for. Especially for newcomers who have never worked in the airline industry before. A lot of employees work for a small regional carrier like this one, before they move on to bigger and better things with one of the large name-brand carriers.

Cons

Although SkyWest is a non-union company, you would swear they were unionized, because seniority is all-important in local operations. The more senior team members get more favorable schedules, the newbies get whatever is left. The starting wage leaves much to be desired, but full time employees do have access to a standard set of benefits ... medical, dental, vision, 401k, etc.

Advice to Management

You really need to work on your people skills. The reason I left your employ was because you would not work with me when I brought to your attention that I needed scheduling consideration for Sundays, because Sunday is my day of worship. You didn't care, even though I asserted my rights under federal law which require an employer to make a reasonable accommodation to an employee.