SkyWest Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SkyWest Airlines President and Chief Executive Officer Chip Childs
Chip Childs

Pros
  • Best flight benefits in the industry (in 95 reviews)

• Flight benefits are great if you have the time to use them (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ridiculously low pay (in my station I got paid less than a local fast-food worker) (in 39 reviews)

• Working as a flight attendant you will be away from home during holidays and weekends (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good flight benefits....that's about it."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Completely self managed which is really nice. When you show up to work you go straight to the gate and get on the plane. I've only talked with my manager twice in a year. Also very flexible and you can pretty much work as much or as little as you want, although you only get paid for the flight hours you work.

Cons

Often times it can be grueling 12+ hour days with long hours spent at airports. Fulltime pay would be considered part time in any other job. You'll work about 80-100 hrs a month. Maximum allowed is 120 hours a month and that's almost impossible. You are away from home for about half of the month or more depending how much you work.

Advice to Management

Be more personable and reachable. Often times it can be difficult to get ahold of my chief and they has made no effort whatsoever to get to know me.

2. "Broken Company"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Wilmington, CA

I worked at SkyWest Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few good people, many individuals to switch or give shifts away to.

Cons

Everything except for the Pros., already listed.

Advice to Management

More training

3. "No good company to work for!!!"

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in South Bend, IN

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The highest pay for Entry level Aircraft Mechanics

Cons

They have a lot of discriminations and racist behaviors in place if you are black or hispanic

5. "GSE supervisor"

Current Employee - GSE Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - GSE Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the emplyees are treaded respectfully and Sky West is a good company to work for, and we have good benefits medical and a good pension plan.

Cons

Sky West is the biggest charter airline but not here in the south and the pay is not equivalent to other airlines here in California.

Advice to Management

Have a higher pay scale here in California and try to continue negotiating to get more work here in the south of USA

6. "Skywest/Expressjet/ASA will suck the life out of you."

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in South Bend, IN

Pros

It's a paycheck nothing else.

Cons

Management takes and takes and takes. No consideration for employees safety. zthey preach safety then say skip the task you are supposed to do for safety. At leaston the maintenance side of the house. Not a single plane gets the water drained from its water sumps every does as management wants skip that step on your aircraft inspection.

Advice to Management

Grow up your not the center of the universe, Were all leaving as fast as we can good luck running your airline out of business. Your doing a great job at ticking off all your employees.

7. "customer service"

Current Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

kind co-workers and occasional travel.

Cons

terrible management, absolutely no pay raises, losing benefits left and right and company could care less about its workforce. Additionally, the work communication standards possible. Absolutely do not value their employees and extremely negative.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, maybe employ the tactic treat others as you would like to be treated. It is a terribly negative place to work.

"Horrific conditions for Flight Attendants"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time

Pros

There are no pros here.

Cons

Working at this airline is worse than working as a street cleaner in Chicago. They treat flight attendants like crap. The pay is based on a law written in 1920s. There are class action law suits pending. Pilots got an 8 dollar an hour raise and flight attendants got a 5 cents an hour wage. Do NOT work at Skywest. It's slave labor. I have just been offered a job with Southwest. Even the interview process and the HR Dept is soooo much better. Can't wait!

Advice to Management

Treat Flight attendants like people,and not slaves. Increase the PAY.

"Worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flight benefits were awesome at that time. Ive heard that now employees are being charged segment fees or flights that were once free

Cons

Working at an airline in general is hard. You get he worst customers. Management is shady and they will stab you in the back. Not a good company to work for at all

Advice to Management

This company needs new management. It is so corrupt. They keep their employees in the dark and they will get rid of people in a heartbeat. Heartless management.

"If you have a genuine love for this industry, DON'T WORK HERE, SkyWest will be sure to destroy it."

Former Employee - Cross Utilized Agent in Hays, KS
    Former Employee - Cross Utilized Agent in Hays, KS

I worked at SkyWest Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good flight benefits if you can get enough time off to use them. OVERALL, THOUGH, THIS COMPANY IS TERRIBLE AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE. FIND AN AIRLINE THAT RESPECTS AND VALUES ITS EMPLOYEES.

Cons

-Horrible station management in HYS. Low pay. Terrible hours. Toxic work environment. Complete disregard for employee safety or familial status. Corporate management unable to deal with or rectify incompetent station management. . Consistent and constant unethical behavior unfortunately is the demonstrated norm- the complete opposite of the Pollyanna song and dance they feed you during your new hire training. No support of any kind from station management during irregular operations, no positive support of any kind. Ever. No privacy, my station manager and supervisor used my ID and password without my knowledge or consent to access my private information and communications within the company regularly. Recruiting personnel blatantly lie during hiring process saying they will work around another job (since the low pay low hour entry level jobs they offer are not even close to allowing you to support yourself) and then they DON"T.

Advice to Management

Seriously rethink management personnel in HYS or close station altogether.( As soon as the government funding goes away so will SkyWest, after all.) Don't tell employees that they are "part of the SkyWest family" in training only to send them to a station where the cold, brutal reality is the manager has no clue or desire to operate a station in a functional or positive fashion. When an employee complains of unethical business practices regularly taking place DO something about it (like what is discussed during training) don't just blow it off. Disband the so called "employee advocate groups" within the company because they don't actually do anything, except maintain the illusion that the company actually cares (they do not.) If you hire management that only wants 20 year old males working at that station then hire 20 year old males...otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time, money, and effort. In addition, don't try to sell your low paying part time positions to applicants as having " flexible scheduling" as a perk when there's no such option and in reality refuse to work around any other job. Because the "needs of the station" are more important than needs of the employee to survive on even the most basic level. My part time cross utilized agent position didn't even pay for fuel most of the time.

"A&P / AMT"

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

NONE!!!!!!!DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!

Cons

Everything was a lie! I relocated half way across the country to SLC. I was put on 3rd shift Thurs. - Sun. I was told at first, I could do unlimited OT right away. Once I started, I was informed I couldn't do OT till after a 9 month probationary period. I was told by HR in the beginning, that Skywest was not a cut-throat environment and that I was here to stay. Found out they hire a lot of new people, with the sole intention to fire 80% of them, just to see who the 2 fastest mechanics are out of the bunch and to see if you can do a 2 hour job in 15 minutes. I was timed by a stop watch at 3 AM, yes 3 AM, on the ramp to see if I could do a main tire change under 15 minutes in the dark! The only thing the leads cared about was how fast you were. The leads also judged you from their tool box 100 yards away, and have no clue how hard you work. Your never good enough, never fast enough and your expected to work HORRIBLE HOURS for years due to seniority and worship cut-throat management. Your also at the very very very bottom as far as standby priority, so forget about flight benefits!

Advice to Management

ITS CUT-THROAT, YOUR JUST ANOTHER NUMBER!!! DO NOT WORK HERE!!!