SkyWest Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

SkyWest Airlines Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Ridiculously low pay (in my station I got paid less than a local fast-food worker) (in 41 reviews)

• Working as a flight attendant you will be away from home during holidays and weekends (in 9 reviews)

1. "A&P mechanic"

Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Chicago, IL

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time

Pros

not bad for the start

Cons

too much racist in chicago

2. "Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people you work with

Cons

Reserve, low pay, commuting out of base

3. "Cut Rate Company"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel benefits with Delta and United. Jumpseat agreements with almost any airlines.

Cons

Pay is degrading.
    Upper management only cares about themselves.
    The "reserve treatment" is disgusting.
    I never work at all.
    The lack of a union is making this company cheap; people are being treated terribly and I have zero benefits as a reserve FA.
    Can't afford to get sick.
    Erradic schedules.
    Can't work as much as you want.
    Constantly living in fear of being fired.

I could go on but honestly, no one wants to tell the truth about this company. I was told I would be treated like a family member but as of late, I have been treated terribly. I don't work nearly as much as I should and it's driving me crazy. Most of the people that have been working here a long time have created these cliques that make new hire employees feel like outcasts. I'm on first call but lately, I haven't been called at all. I work for absolutely no money and I have been homeless while working for SkyWest which is extremely scary. Their rules make mainline seem like a walk in the park and people have been fired for the stupidest things. We have already had people quit because they have felt betrayed by lies of the company.

Advice to Management

You're not even going to look at this but you need to show your employees you care. No vacation or sick time is idiotic. I fear that I am going to hate my job moving forward because I can afford to live the way I am living. Stop treating yourselves to the best and giving your new staff the worst. I can only imagine how you treat personal emergencies because giving staff issue about having pneumonia and nearly dying doesn't send a good message to those that want to work for you.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work for the company are truly amazing. Travel benefits are the best, because we can pretty much list with every company, especially Delta, United, American and Alaska since we fly for them.

Cons

Being on Reserve can be stressful. You are kind of thrown out their after you IOE. It's pretty much sink or swim. If you are strong and this is something you want to do, than you will swim. Their is a lot of information to take in when you are new. It gets bette each flight.

Advice to Management

New flight attendant should their IOE on multiple planes. I feel mistake are made when people are not comfortable and properly trained in their position.

6. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - General Manager in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Family-Like Atmosphere, Free Travel on Mainline Partners

Cons

Pay is below average compared to mainline partners, Irregular operations can get stressful

Advice to Management

Pay employees what their worth to not lose some of the best employees.

7. "Great opportunity... Sad it had to end"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits on United
    Consecutive off days for travel
    Stable hours (2pm-10pm)
    Friendly coworkers
    Friendly and helpful supervisors
    Good work-life balance

Cons

Lowish pay for Ramp Agents
    Occasionally dangerous
    Lack of staff some days
    No longer does ground handling in Denver - contract was awarded to Simplicity USA and employees were laid off

8. "Skywest - DIA before the contract ended"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good flight benefits and flexibility

Cons

Doctors note or not, they wouldn't excuse health issues with children

"More pros than cons at Skywest!"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, flight benefits, flexibility, quick seniority, quarterly bonuses after 1 year employment. Everyone here at Skywest has been nothing but helpful and great! I love the company morale and we get the best flight benefits in the business. The grass looks better at our mainline partners (pay, quality of life, union, and such), but the whole industry is about "seniority" and my seniority at Skywest is moving up much faster than it would at any one of our mainline partners which makes my job much more flexible. We have the best selection of domiciles to chose from. Instructors during training were great and very helpful and you can see how much they love their job and the company they work for. Company provides uniform during training, and after 1 year of employment we get a quarterly allotment for new uniform pieces. Highest paying regional. Quarterly bonus$$. I really love my job.

Cons

Reserve life at any airline is hard. Long hours. The pay for the amount of hours we work is a hard adjustment once you start working the line but gets better after 1 year. Training was 31 days with only 2 days off for the whole time we were there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Not competitive on Pay. (Pilot)"

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Cape May Ch, NJ
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Cape May Ch, NJ

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SkyWest is known for being a "good, all-around" company. They are the largest regional airline in the US and have contracts with American, Delta, United and Alaska Airlines. This broad spectrum of contracts, aircraft, a variety of domiciles, and the fact it is a publicly traded company (so you can do your homework and read their profits), helps promote SkyWest as a trustworthy and stable airline; even in the absence of Union protection. SkyWest offers an employee stock purchase package, 401K, medical benefits, performance based bonuses and profit sharing (after 1 year employment).

Current CRJ upgrade is around 2 years. Con: ... it is also this low at most other regionals now...

Cons

The obvious, pay. SkyWest was known for years as the highest paid regional airline in the US. With a change in management in 2016, this aggressive pay structure also changed. SkyWest is now one of the lowest paid regionals in the US. This leads many pilots and employees to blame the lack of a union which could have protected pay and possibly lobbied for better contracts. As mentioned above, this is a publicly traded company which adds the 4th member of the SkyWest family, the shareholders. Jerry Atkin, founder and former CEO was very strong in believing the employees are what make SkyWest the success it is. Policies and decisions since his departure in 2016, replaced by current CEO Chip Childs seems to spark criticism that the employee has taken a back seat to profits and shareholders. This "feel" within the company has led many new pilots to no longer flock to SkyWest when other regional airlines offer the same advances with upwards of three times the pay. In summary, times have changed in the airline world. Five years ago, SkyWest was a great airline as it was compared to other regional carriers which were not so great. Now that most other regional airlines are getting much better in terms of contracts, pay, mainline flow, profit stability ect. SkyWest has not risen with the times to meet this same level. We are the largest regional in the US and we do not have the protection of a union. This for many, myself included when I was a new hire, is frightening and makes the image of company trust that more important. You are "represented" by SAPA and other departmental associations which are supposed to act like an "in-company union" lobbying your concerns to the company. This is most frequently referred to as "student council". Concerns have grown further as SAPA has failed to get funding for its own website from the company until very recently, its own loss of medical insurance ploy was recently found to have flaws that were directly in conflict with what was told to employees by SAPA ect. As the company employees continue to see no change to better the employee and lack further trust of SAPA, this plays again into the chance of a push to unionize.

Advice to Management

- Listen to the employees, as we grow larger, we become nothing more than numbers on a directory of employees. To avoid further unrest within the company, there needs to be more representation from SAPA, a show of trust between SAPA, SkyWest and the employee and actual change.

- Increase pay and contract properties to reflect what is offered at other regionals. You may still fill classes but think of employee satisfaction within your company. Jery Atkin was 100% on point by acting on his belief that the employees are the heart, soul and success of this company.

- If you increase first year pay without increasing pay for other pilots, there will be a push to unionize this airline. Stability is SkyWest's secret weapon, for further success you must continue stability.

- Make SAPA and SkyWest's interactions more transparent. WIthout a SAPA website it is very hard to see what is going on and when we cannot see, we begin to lose trust.

- Increase the medical payout! No medical in the US is $70!

11. "aircraft mechanic"

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good flight benefits, average pay

Cons

new upper management is all about money, doesn't care about employees

Advice to Management

Be more like Jerry