SkyWest Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

SkyWest Airlines Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Ridiculously low pay (in my station I got paid less than a local fast-food worker) (in 41 reviews)

• Working as a flight attendant you will be away from home during holidays and weekends (in 9 reviews)

1. "Contract Area Manager"

Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Olive Branch, MS
    Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Olive Branch, MS

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company with great benefits.

Cons

No stability in the Customer Service due constant changing ground handling contracts.

Advice to Management

More focus needed on the SkyWest Contract side of the house.

2. "Broken Company"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Wilmington, CA

I worked at SkyWest Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few good people, many individuals to switch or give shifts away to.

Cons

Everything except for the Pros., already listed.

Advice to Management

More training

"Good benefits and low pay"

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flight benefits are what keeps many people around, you can go just about anywhere in the world with them. Co workers feel more like friends most of the time. The job is flexible, which is nice when you have travel benefits.

Cons

Can be very stressful when it gets busy. The pay is shockingly low for the amount of stressful work we do. Work is either very early mornings or late nights, a full staff has to be working 365 days per year to keep the operation going.

Advice to Management

You are doing many things right and we seem to be improving on many small things to make work better and easier. However, the biggest complaint by everyone working here is compensation, which is the main reason why the majority of people work to begin with. This department helps avoid many cancelations and we keep crews from flying illegally. We have many talented people here using their creative minds to cover flying which saves the company so much money but we don't get anything for it besides a pat on the back. Many people feel very underappreciated and the high turnover rate reflects that.

"Overview"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get some long overnights in new cities giving you the opportunity to explore the area surrounding your hotel. For the most part, your crew will stick together for the entire duration of the trip whether you're on a 2-4 day trip. This is a pro because if you don't get along with a crewmember, there's a good chance you won't fly with them again. If you're on reserve, meaning you don't have a set schedule and you're on call, you do get to bid for days off for the entire month. Training is only 31 days in SLC, Utah. SkyWest pays for your flights and for your hotel during training. You also get 1 paycheck during training.

Cons

During training you will be tight on money since you only get one paycheck and that is your only income. I would suggest having some money set aside before applying for the FA position so you're not unprepared and broke. During the 31 days of training you only get 2 days off. When you're a working FA you'll realize the majority of the issues you'll encounter on a daily basis were not covered in training as they focus on safety and not daily issues. This is a "learn as you go" experience and is the most challenging part of the job. You're constantly problem solving and only taught to "use your judgment". Being on reserve is no walk in the park. You have no say in what trips you work and lets be real, who likes being on call? You'll work holidays most likely and you might have to relocate which will be expensive. Your schedule, sleep pattern, time zone, and weight will be ever changing.

Advice to Management

Teach employees how to solve passenger issues they'll face daily. Teach them how to bid for reserve and a line. Teach them about their golden days. Teach employees who to contact if they have questions about x, y, z (where to find answers).

"Flight attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best regionals! The first year is the hardest... Being on reserve and making ends meet. After one year you start getting quarterly performance awards and after 2 years you also get quarterly financial rewards. All our trips and swap boards are online so you can trade trips and control your schedule. We have part time opportunities if you have a family and want to work around that. It's a great airline to work for!

Cons

Our pay scale is below the majors, and our flying is not as exciting, but it's a nice flexible job if you are good with the public and don't want to sit in an office.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us!

"Please go mainline, Skywest is a joke"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Flight benefits are the only good thing about Skywest airlines.

Cons

If you can go mainline please skip regional and go straight mainline. Your pay is low, airplanes are toy size, management only care about the pilots because FA are so easy to replace. They will fire a FA for just about anything. Not enough destinations. Skywest is a joke honestly.

Advice to Management

Start talking more care of your FA. We work really hard on these baby airplanes. Something has to change.

8. "Ramp Agent"

Former Employee - Supervisor in St. George, UT
    Former Employee - Supervisor in St. George, UT

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family fun great hours great pay

Cons

Rain heat noise lazy worker

"Crew Scheduling"

Current Employee - Crew Scheduler in Saint George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SkyWest is a great company that takes care of their employees. I have found a home until I retire. The flight benefits alone are enough to keep someone around for awhile.

Cons

The scheduling can be a little tough while first starting out. This is to be expected as everything is based on seniority.

"Great way to get your foot in the door!"

Former Employee - Flight Atttendant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Flight Atttendant in Denver, CO

I worked at SkyWest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great flight benefits and lots of cool base airports!

Cons

Reserve status is fairly long! Pay is not great

11. "CS department crumbling"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SkyWest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cheap flights, fun job most of the time. Interesting industry and coworkers passionate about travel. Easy to trade and pick up shifts even at the last minute

Cons

CS gets treated worse than the rest of the company - especially for pay. We keep losing stations which makes them react by cutting more costs. No feeling that management really tries enough to make changes. Company keeps making big bucks and emailing all employees about how great things are going but CS gets none of it.

Advice to Management

Either start doing some real negotiation with our partners (Delta, United, etc.) or just quit pretending you are trying to make the department viable. Just end the CS and hand it over to United Ground Express which is what will happen anyway.