Skyhawks Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Skyhawks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great boss super nice and understanding.
    Flexible work hours usually 8am-12pm Monday through Friday.

Cons

Drive sometimes far to work location.
    Large sports camps.
    Teaching kids outside in the summer heat can take a toll but asking off from a week is always in option.

2. "Coach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mead, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mead, WA

I worked at Skyhawks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good program for kids and I enjoyed it.

Cons

It can be draining working with kids all day and the pay is minimum wage.

3. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at Skyhawks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of fun being able to share my passion for sports with kids. I also enjoyed the flexibility as a director to design design the camps in a way that would be fun and that would teach basic skills to my campers.

Cons

Some of the coaches I worked with weren't well trained and I ended up having to do extra work to cover for them

5. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sammamish, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sammamish, WA

I worked at Skyhawks (Less than a year)

Pros

You get great experience being able to run your own camp. Many of the camps let you decide how you want to run your camp each week within the guidelines of Skyhawks. Its a great first job that allows you to work on your management skills. Plus who doesn't love working with kids and playing sports!

Cons

One of the main cons is the pay. Yes this is a first type job but the directors who are responsible for a lot more than the coaches only get paid 50 cents more per hour. Its great experience but it is a whole lot more work than the coach, for not much more pay.

Advice to Management

I would suggest giving Directors a little more pay than the coach to reward them for all the extra work they are doing!

"Coach for two years, then Director"

Former Employee - Coach Turned Director in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Coach Turned Director in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Skyhawks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fellow coaches are usually nice, though mostly high school students or early college, some can be still very immature.
    - Getting to work outside!
    - Upward mobility if you stick around long enough

Cons

- Horrible communication between administrative employees and coaches and other employees that actually work the camps
    - Can take a long time to be promoted
    - Having to work with bratty HS kids
    - Pay is awful. You will start at literally exactly minimum wage and get something like an 8-12 cent bump in pay per hour every YEAR.

Advice to Management

Improve communication, and pay! Your employees are ensuring the safety of sometimes up to 20 children each (when you consider how many kids are in the camp compared with number of coaches onsite) AND teaching them a sport, and still get paid much worse than what someone works at a daycare would be paid. This is just plain silly. Pay should match work, and here it definitely does not.

7. "Great Summer Job"

Former Employee - Camp Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Camp Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skyhawks (More than a year)

Pros

Great summer job for college kids, especially athletes. Pretty relaxed environment, a lot of fun, minimal experience required. Regional director is a great guy, really easy to work with.

Cons

If you're one of the only Directors in a certain area, you can often be stuck with the same coaches week after week. Can be a good or bad thing. Very few "sheds" where gear is stored, so lots of driving every week to turn in gear for one camp and pick up gear for another, as sports often change weekly.

8. "Skyhawks Coach Experience"

Former Employee - Coach in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Coach in Bend, OR

Pros

Got to spend active hours outdoors during the summer. It was awesome to be constantly moving around and spending time with the other coaches.

Cons

Younger kids (4-8 years of age) can be difficult to work with and vary in level of athletic ability/participation. Sometimes you had to deal with parent complaints that seamed ungrounded or unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Focus on having a more structured program for each sport or have sport specific camps. It is difficult to create games for 4-5 sports and have young children process all of the rules/objectives.

9. "experience"

Former Employee - Camp Director in Plantsville, CT
    Former Employee - Camp Director in Plantsville, CT

I worked at Skyhawks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with children experience is awesome especially when I got to teach kids of all ages ..make become a better father!.

Cons

the job was only part time summers so I actually was unemployed in the winter...I also miss all the kids that I got to teach and spend time with throughout the summer.

Advice to Management

Hopefully one day they can expand their program to an all year round event because even though kids are in school there is always a need for after school programs everywhere.

10. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Mead, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Mead, WA

I worked at Skyhawks (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great job if you enjoying being outside all day.

Cons

There happens to be a lot of unnecessary driving

11. "Skyhawks coach"

Current Employee - Coach in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Coach in Portland, OR

I have been working at Skyhawks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Skyhawks training really helps you in many other aspects of life. Also, if you enjoy sports and working with kids it doesn't even feel like a job

Cons

Just bring sunscreen if you're outside. There really isn't any cons if you're aware of the job and are prepared for what they ask