Skyhorse Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Skyhorse Publishing President Tony Lyons
Tony Lyons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees that started as interns or at entry level are now senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Based on my two years with the Company, Skyhorse Publishing is a youthful, fast paced working environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • t amazing, upper management DO NOT CARE (they think they (in 10 reviews)

• An unethical amount of work, no one everyone leaves (in 8 reviews)

1. "Getting better and better"

I have been working at Skyhorse Publishing full-time

Pros

Skyhorse is an interesting place to work and I enjoy it. My co-workers are generally friendly, hardworking, and smart. The benefits are better than most other publishers--summer hours, leave at 2:30pm before all holidays, Christmas to New Year's week off etc.

Cons

Things were disorganized, but that's improving. Salaries were lower than Big 5 publishers, but now they start off at the same levels and go up faster.

"A Good Company"

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Skyhorse Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s refreshing working at Skyhorse. I like focusing on puzzles that arise, and being left to my own devices. There’s plenty of both here. I like going from task to task, and feeling good about what I’ve accomplished at the end of the day. I don’t need constant praise, and when I have questions or issues, I ask, and get the answers I need. I have a job that I enjoy, and good people around me, who listen when I have ideas. I’m constantly learning about the publishing industry, and am exposed to a good range of books. I plan to continue my career in publishing, and at Skyhorse for as long as I can. Contrary to allegations brought up in some posts here about “fake” reviews, in my two+ years at Skyhorse, I’ve been encouraged twice to write a Glassdoor review for the company – and I have no problem with having been asked. Both times, it was stressed to me that the company wanted only honest reviews. I’ve held off writing a review until now, and as you can read, I totally support this company.

Cons

Workload can be heavy, but manageable.

Advice to Management

To management: Keep encouraging everyone in the company to speak their minds and ask questions when necessary.
    To staff: Speak up and ask when you have questions. We’re all adults here.

Jan 11, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for sharing your personal experience at Skyhorse.

3. "Launched me into publishing"

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Skyhorse Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For anybody interested in publishing I highly recommend Skyhorse. You're going to learn a lot, and you're going to be given work, responsibility and latitude to develop yourself and your skills - more fully and quickly than at most other publishing companies that I know of. That's been my experience and I have no complaints. There was some disruption at the company recently with an effort to form a workers union, but the result of that effort was that only 18 out of 77 people in the company were for it. Now that it's over, things are getting back up to speed. Looking forward to a great year to come.

Cons

Lots of books. But I guess that's what we do.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

"Great publishing experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Skyhorse Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had a great Skyhorse experience. Sure, there is a lot of work, but if you manage your time efficiently and are willing to ask for help when needed, it should be manageable. The company is great for learning a lot about various aspects of the publishing industry, and being a smaller company means it has the ability to be more flexible and pursue projects that you wouldn't be allowed to do at a larger house. There are plenty of people to talk to in upper management if you have an issue, whether it is your direct manager, or HR, or any other handful of options whose doors are always open. The people complaining have never approached any of these available people to try to solve their issues; rather, they expect management to read their minds without actually having a discussion. There has always been someone to talk to if you have any problem from workload to office atmosphere.

The company has also increased and added a ton of benefits in the last couple years! I love my job and am excited to be able to get back to work now that the months of awful union pressure and propaganda are over.

Cons

Depending where you sit, it can be difficult to concentrate sometimes with everyone talking around you--but that's what headphones are for. There is a lot of work, but like I said, nothing that is unmanageable. If you do feel overwhelmed, you can always discuss options with your manager.

Advice to Management

It's great to maintain an open-door policy so employees do feel comfortable talking to someone in management when needed. There are plenty of options, so everyone should have at least one person they're comfortable talking to.

Dec 18, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and your “advice to management” note. Everyone at Skyhorse should feel comfortable raising issues, concerns, and ideas with management whenever necessary. This open... More

"Outlook Negative"

I worked at Skyhorse Publishing full-time

Pros

You may get lucky and work on a rare decent book. If you're entry-level, this may be a good networking opportunity since half the company is ran on the backs of younger hires, who may remember you later.

Cons

Please understand: every single 5-star review is fake. Basically every new employee is forced to leave one.

The management saw negative Glassdoor reviews as an existential problem, and has invested major resources to rectify it--they would never put this much work into anything inside the company, however. If that's not a major red flag, I don't know what is.

Don't believe the hype about "the fastest growing small publisher in America." They've been milking that old line for close to a decade now. It's not hard to pump out metric tons of books when quality control is virtually non-existent. Con desperate authors with minuscule advances and voila, you're the "fastest growing small publisher in America." Shame on industry trade media perpetuating this fallacy and giving favorable interviews/platform to this company in exchange for ad dollars.

Read the negative reviews (anything 3 stars and below) for accurate insights into some major issues in the company, namely indifferent and cruel management, frequent layoffs, sexual harassment, unethical business models, the list goes on.

If you're considering getting a job here, stay away: in light of the recent union-related confrontations, I wouldn't be surprised if the owner chose to just shut down the shop rather than create a fairer workplace. Yes, it's that kind of company (and before I get accused of being some union mole, I left the company before all the union drama and had no stake in the negotiations).

Advice to Management

I don't think the management is interested in any advice, so I won't waste time giving it.

"The NEGATIVE REVIEWS don’t lie"

I worked at Skyhorse Publishing full-time

Pros

Good foot in the door if you want to get into the publishing industry and you meet some cool people here that actually care about humanity and books

Cons

What the negative reviews say - crappy pay, benefits aren’t amazing, upper management DO NOT CARE (they think they’re doing you a favor when it comes to everything, including benefits or letting you not come to the office when you’re sick), favoritism, men make more than females, not a lot of diversity, and this list can go on. This company needs to stop pretending that they’re better than what they really are.

Advice to Management

One sexual harassment seminar you felt obligated to hold because some of our employees were harassed by your clients don’t make you better.

Jan 11, 2018 – Human Resources

We are trying our best across the board within the company and in relation to the economics and dynamics of the publishing industry as a whole.

"It really is that bad"

I worked at Skyhorse Publishing full-time

Pros

If you're a young, motivated, independent self-starter, you can actually learn a lot here. This isn't the place to stay and grow, but it can be a good starting point for those who want to jump-start their career and don't need much (read: any) hand-holding to do so.

Cons

I'll be upfront in that I left this company about a year ago. But I was interested to hear how they were doing so I checked Glassdoor and felt compelled after reading the current reviews to write my own review.

When I was there, Skyhorse Publishing had a toxic workplace environment. It was bad enough that I believed the company could never get better, so I left. I was honestly not at all surprised to learn that employees wanted to form a union; that's not a thing happy employees who love their workplace decide to do.

When I was at Skyhorse, management did not seem to care about employees' complaints. They were fine getting new employees, burning them out, having them leave or firing them, and then getting more new employees and repeating the process. I've also definitely witnessed some pretty bad sexual harassment on upper management's part. (I'm just waiting for the day when the #metoo movement hits Skyhorse.)

I think the way Skyhorse has responded to their negative reviews is really symbolic of how the company operates. Here is a forum where people feel comfortable leaving open, honest reviews and critiques of the company and suggest ways for the company to improve. And how does the company respond? It ignores the criticism, demeans the reviewers, and suggests there's a conspiracy in which all the reviews are fake. I wouldn't be surprised if the company spent more time reading its Glassdoor reviews and crafting snarky responses to them than it did actually thinking about why its employees feel the need to write negative reviews, and fixing THOSE problems.

Advice to Management

Instead of responding to this review to demean it, why don't you reflect on the common thread among all the negative feedback (too much work, sexual harassment, favoritism, employees feel burned out, etc.) and figure out what you as a company can do to change so that employees don't feel the need to write negative reviews in the first place. If you feel you have to respond to this post, then I'd rather you respond with a list of the most commonly noted criticism you receive on Glassdoor, and what you're doing as a company to address it (saying that the problems don't exist is not sufficient).

Dec 15, 2017 – Human Resources

Skyhorse appreciates constructive criticism, and we have thanked many reviewers in the past for their opinions, both positive and negative, here on Glassdoor. We’ve also noted in a number of our... More

"young and innovative publishing company"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant

I worked at Skyhorse Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about the publishing industry. The people were great. Books, books, books!

Cons

A bit stressful at times, but what job isn't?

Oct 10, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for your comments. We wish you the very best of success in all your pursuits, and hope that your experience at Skyhorse will serve you well.

"Where your publishing dreams go to DIE"

I worked at Skyhorse Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good stepping stone and a foot in the door if you want to do publishing. Since it’s small, you get to experience more and do everything yourself. You get a lot more work so there’s pros and cons to that.

Cons

According to the company’s responses to negative reviews, it states how all the negative reviews are lying and promoting fake news.. but this company is known for publishing fake news by Roger Stone and their anti-vax books. Here are a few more cons:

1) The books (except most of their children’s and literary fiction) are lacking. Facts are not checked. Covers are not hi-res. They prefer the cheapest way to do things.. quantity > quality is their motto.

2) The turnover rate for employees is SO HIGH. If you’re there for a year, it seems like that’s a long time. That’s not normal. Someone from management will respond to this and say "Oh, but we have so many people who have been here for a while. That's a lie, because a lot more employees have been there for less than a year compared to those few who have stayed for longer than that (better treatment from management).

3) Speaking of management, there was no HR team for the longest. Even when they had one, it was not legitimate. They don't take your complaints seriously, whether it comes to work ethnics, harassment, or racial issues. The reason people don't sue is because this company would be a waste of time to do so. But wouldn’t be surprise when it happens. Management plays favoritism.

4) I was asked to write a fake review on this website by my manager when I was first hired and still in my "honeymoon phase with the company," so yes, a lot of these reviewers were asked to do so.

5) Internal dating -- This should be in the handbook. For most companies, if not all, this is against the code. This also leads to favoritism.

6) A LOT OF WORK. An unethical amount of work, no one everyone leaves. Most big houses laugh when you mention Skyhorse. A lot of work is sometimes okay, because we get to do so much as I stated before, but to have no support? That is not okay.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees better and they’ll want to stay. Choose quality over quantity. Just because you had 17 (or however many you’re going to write in your response) NYT bestsellers doesn’t mean you are quality.

Dec 1, 2017 – Human Resources

Skyhorse has experienced a challenging period over these past few months as an effort was initiated to form a union within the company. We welcomed the process, but unfortunately, contention... More

"Management is highly unethical"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Skyhorse Publishing full-time

Pros

You gain a lot of experience quickly.

Cons

- Management is unethical (but people haven't sued because the publisher is a lawyer), highly manipulative, and views millennials as pawns/fodder (use them for all the energy they have and kick them out when they want too much aka fair compensation and work environment.)
    - Highly toxic atmosphere
    - Everyone is overworked to the extreme
    - Terribly low advances for authors
    - Publicity works on so many titles that they can't possibly support them all.
    - Editors acquire more projects than they can adequately edit and take care through to publication.
    - The company is going downhill financially.

In conclusion: Run for the hills! This company is not operating like the rest of the publishing industry; there are plenty of better places to apply. Don't waste your talents on leaders who are corrupt, won't appreciate you, and mistreat the majority of their authors and staff. I'm at another house now, and I am sooo grateful to not be working at Skyhorse anymore.

P.S. Half of these reviews are fake. The publisher saw how low the rating was so the company is planting 5-star ones to boost it. Don't believe them.

Advice to Management

Care about your books and employees. Good luck avoiding bankruptcy!

Nov 3, 2017 – Human Resources

It is a fact that Skyhorse offers people the opportunity to gain experience quickly. We’re disappointed that you choose to cast untrue aspersion on the company, but we hope that your time here will... More