Skylab Apps Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2021

4.0
Skylab Apps CEO Dean Grey (no image)
Dean Grey
  1. 5.0
    Current Intern

An Amazing, Excited, and Incredible Team!

Jul 3, 2018 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Make campus and environment doesn't feel like a boring office. Surrounded by many large companies such as GoPro and GoDaddy, along with many others, adds to the atmosphere of tech and creative work. It's very open, with a kitchen, chairs both inside and outside, and even has a cafe. All the staff at Skylab is very smart, kind, and professional. They mix both funny and expressive, as well as work and seriousness. The way the Executives have a personal connection with many co-workers, along with the way the bring themselves closer to us (instead of distancing themselves, as in some companies occurs) and have meetings where they interact is something very valuable and important to both the company and everyone working there. If you not only want to work somewhere awesome and want to make a difference, but also want to LEARN, then this is the place for you. There are huge opportunities for learning new software and mindset.

Cons

If you aren't coach able, this might not be the place for you.

2. 1.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Bad Experience

Apr 12, 2021 - Graphic Designer in Encinitas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I do not have any pros

Cons

Do not want to talk about it. Bad experience specially with CEO.

3. 4.0
    Former Intern

Good Job

Jun 17, 2019 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great management, the company has great potential of being the next big thing.

Cons

Put effort and energy into growing the company

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

The culture AND the product is outstanding

Sep 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1) The office itself and the Skylab area places a great deal of importance on paying extra for an inspiring environment 2) You are able to grow into bigger positions without capping out 3) Values having their employees grow into having shares with the company 4) The CEO is approachable and you are allowed to ask him to coffee to get advice or mentorship 5) When you make a mistake you are given the opportunity to fix it and learn 6) The executives keep all the staff up to speed on the big picture vision and progress which is very rare 7) You are mentored to become your own entrepreneur and allowed to use the Skylab platform help your personal business 8) You are taught conflict management and high performance skillsets so you can become awesome vs feeling you have to know it all before you start 9) The office energy is one of moving fast, joking and fun. The only thing required is if you drop the ball you need to pick it back up and not make excuses 10) If you are asked to do something new you will be walked through a system called VEAC - you are never just thrown to the wolves so you feel safe

Cons

1) I've seen some employees get stuck because they become disenchanted by their own limitations. The culture is high performance and while we are given the opportunity of mentorship, this is the real deal. Employees who aren't ready for this will start to not enjoy the journey 2) Excuses aren't tolerated, the culture is one of mentorship, however if excuses are consistent, employees won't last

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Director of Administrative Services

May 7, 2018 - Director of Administrative Services in Carlsbad, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

•Skylab's morals and ethics are by far my favorite, whether through our internship programs which graduate to payed position within Skylab. This company keeps its word and is constantly surprising me with how much they keep the best interests of the team in mind. • Our Founder has set us up for a lifetime of success by teaching us best practices such as VEAC model, Active Listening, Time Blocking, etc. Many individuals around the world pay to receive this knowledge and level of coaching. •The Carlsbad campus has a college type of atmosphere with many amenities such as a gym, movie theater, coffee cart, and plenty of activities and events. • At Skylab you definitely won't feel stuck in a rut with the same mundane tasks everyday, each day brings new opportunities and different challenges to keep you on your toes and thinking outside of the box.

Cons

•If you're looking for just a job/paycheck this is not for you. This career is more of a lifestyle that either fits just right or leaves you in the dust. •If you have not had your work ethics optimized then there will be a learning/adjustment period that is well worth the determination it takes to become successful.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Skylab is the place to be.

Sep 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Culture is based on high-performance, team communication, and personal development • The clients that come walking through the doors always blow me away with their stories and passion, this environment really allows an individual to think big • Skylab listens to employees and contractors when a role needs to shift into something more suitable for the person and the company, I respect this, and the shifts happen quickly • With gamification, chat, and all the customizations on the CMS, the platform is a future-forward multi-faceted solution for influencers, corporations, and brands who want to grow their communities through transformation, not just information / There's nothing like this out there

Cons

• Culture is based on high-performance, team communication, and personal development / Some days are harder than others when you're in a growth-focused environment, I've learned to suck it up, learn the lessons, be a team player, and keep moving because this dream and this team is not going to build itself • Oftentimes you'll be asked to do things you've never done before or have no idea how to do, the idea here is that we all jump in to help the team succeed, sometimes doing things we don't want to do • This is a startup, processes are always improving and we work very agile and shift as the startup needs it. While there are still some dev and client hiccups every now and then, the team is quick to jump on the issues to solve them. The improvement process is getting better every day.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting environment for accelerated professional and personal development

May 8, 2018 - Chief Product Officer in Carlsbad, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

• A thriving, high-paced, dynamic, and exciting working environment. • A culture that values purpose, communication, responsibility, accountability, creativity, style, excellence, personal growth, recognition... • You get mentoring and coaching on the mindset and strategies for peak performance in a high-paced and highly interdependent team culture (principle-based mindset and skills that can serve you in other areas of life). • Being part of a team with an innovative and exciting vision and a powerful product to make it big both in terms of business as well as benefit. • Opportunities to learn and develop multi-faceted skills across different areas of business and product development. • The chance to work at a modern and vibrant creative environment.

Cons

We don't see them as cons, but the following is definitively not for everyone. In a way, this is for those who are willing and ready to... • Grow and change fast as we keep growing and adjusting to our challenges and opportunities. • Take ownership of their responsibilities and be accountable for your performance. • Be professional in the way you perform and present your results. • Put in stretches of highly-focused deep work. • Own your own internal processes and be open to learning from candid and at times confronting feedback. In short, if you're looking for "stability", and a "slow pace" and comfortable environment that doesn't challenge you neither pulls you to be your best... this is not for you.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0

An Amazing Place to Start

Sep 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow, be challenged, and take on new roles. I highly recommend working at Skylab if you are a young person looking to get a feel for the technology industry and what it takes to be part of a startup. The company is small enough that your efforts and talent WILL be recognized if you are going above and beyond the call of duty. I was also able to see a company that started an an idea, actually manifest itself from the ground up in amazing ways. I also had the honor to meet inspiring influencers, ambassadors, and clients in person on a weekly basis. The caliber of attention Skylab attracts is unparalleled and I am so grateful to continue to witness it.

Cons

This company moves at breakneck speed. You may begin a workday or workweek with an idea of what you will be working on, and it can all change at a moment's notice. You must be very open to coaching, hearing that there is a better way to do things, and changing your entire approach immediately.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Extraordinary Potential

Feb 18, 2018 - Independent Agent in Carlsbad, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will have the opportunity to witness and learn from extraordinarily talented individuals. You will be part of a shared knowledge and learning system with a team that is heavily interdependent. The CEO, Dean Grey, will be available to mentor and guide more than anyone in that position would expect. You will be able to develop, grow, and test yourself with new challenges as you wish. You will experience situations that can only occur in an erupting start up like Skylab.

Cons

You will be in a challenging environment with stressful situations. You must be flexible and have the ability to adjust quickly. There will be high expectations for your performance.

10. 4.0
    Current Intern

Grow with a Dream Internship

Apr 17, 2018 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

I perceive this internship exceeding traditional internships that bigger companies can offer because I have had the opportunity to wear many hats and receive direct guidance from the CEO. There are a lot of projects coming in, both internal and external. Interns work directly on all projects: troubleshooting, sourcing imagery from Adobestock and creating app prototypes for our clients, writing content, creating processes for future interns, writing certification courses for our Platform There have been lots of opportunity to share my ideas and my observations. Intern insight is appreciated and encouraged. Everything I have learned in 3 months can definitely be applied to future roles. Because of this position, I see myself in a more professional light and have confidence to apply for and also fill positions that I didn't see myself in before. However, I would love to transition into a Skylab staff member and hold seniority as the company expands.

Cons

I'm currently the only woman working in our office

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Reviews