Skyrocket Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Matthew Strassberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company, awesome people - would definitely recommend working here"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Skyrocket Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros

Skyrocket Ventures is a great company with even better people. I worked here for five years and can’t find enough good things to say about this place. Excellent training from my very first day, and continued development up until my last. That’s one thing I really liked about this job – yes, there is plenty of attention on your training in the beginning, but not so much where you feel like it’s the only thing you do all day. You have the ability to start earning good money right out of the gate.

Skyrocket also has a really great company culture and team-oriented environment. Super friendly bunch of people who work very hard, but at the same time have a good sense of humor. We often hang out outside of work and have lots of company functions. Movie nights are pretty common, company lunches/dinners. We celebrate birthdays, holidays, work anniversaries, all that stuff. I’ve created and maintained some very good friendships here, so if company culture is important, this is the place for you.

The earning potential is also a very big pro. Hitting six figures is absolutely possible. It goes without saying, but it requires hard work, patience, and occasionally spending extra time in the office. Not everyone is going to make that much money, but if you can learn to work with a sense of urgency, and make a conscious effort to improve and hone your skills, the sky is the limit. But even if that’s not your style, there are opportunities to work here and get paid by the hour, so either way, I would recommend working here!

Great skillset acquired by working here. You learn to have excellent communication skills by talking to people from literally all over the world. You will learn how to be a more persuasive person, and how to manage your time effectively. Those are skills you use on a daily basis here and those can/will transfer over to most other jobs in the future.

Other pros: laid back work environment. The boss is very accommodating with your schedule as long as you’re not a lazy person. In general, the employees live a pretty healthy lifestyle, so if you’re interested in learning how to maintain a healthier diet, you will no doubt get schooled on that here!

Cons

No cons that I can think of. I guess I could mention the fact that this job isn’t for everyone. If you’re looking to clock in and out somewhere and just collect a paycheck, this probably won’t work out. That’s most likely the case for the people that have left negative comments on here. I can understand how this job can be frustrating if you’re not a very motivated person, or give up easily.

You will be successful here if: you are motivated, are not an idiot, you can deal with ambiguity, work quickly, have thick skin and can overcome rejection, have a positive attitude and can take responsibility for yourself.

"Skyrocket is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Skyrocket Ventures (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started working at skyrocket several years ago.

The on-the-job training is very good. I came in with limited experience and was kind of a novice, but management was very good at making sure that I got the training I needed and supported me all the way. There is also lots of room for learning on the job. The work itself is very satisfying. It's an exciting and important industry, and it's cool to help companies and candidates grow.

The people are great, and I've made some great friendships that will likely last a lifetime. Most of the current team has been there for several years. Everyone is focused and passionate about their work, but easy going and easy to get along with. It's nice that the company does a variety of interesting social outings. Team members often hang out together outside of work, and there's a great team spirit and comradery. It's a great place to work if you’re keen on having a good work/leisure balance in your life, but is also great if you want to work hard and make a lot of money. Overall, people seem to work pretty hard, and enjoy doing it.

One last thought.. have always felt like a valued part of the team, even from day one. Management is very approachable, and frequently acts on good suggestions by employees.

Cons

If you don't close on deals, you aren't going to be making a ton of money. It's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, looking forward to continued growth in the future!

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Skyrocket Ventures (More than a year)

Pros

Good foot it the door to recruiting

Cons

Little to no training or guidance

Advice to Management

Train your people and they will make you more money

"Great Company to Work for!"

Pros

I worked at Skyrocket Ventures for two years. The work that the company does really aligns with their mission of bringing the best companies and candidates together. The team is cohesive and everyone works very well together. I enjoyed coming to work everyday knowing that I was doing something that made an impact. Employees are recognized and respected throughout the team and management. Without hesitation I would recommend working at Skyrocket Ventures.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"So far, so good"

I have been working at Skyrocket Ventures full-time

Pros

Being at Skyrocket Ventures has been a great working and learning experience so far. Each and every person who currently works here is great. It feels like a small family. They’re all genuine and caring toward one another and toward the clients they’re placing. The companies and candidates being recruited are top notch and we make many of them happy by bringing them together.

Another benefit to working at Skyrocket is its location. The lake view from outside the windows is beautiful. You’re also able to walk outside to the balcony for a breath of fresh air overlooking the scenery.

The owner of Skyrocket is a great mentor and very thorough in the training he provides. He constantly gives feedback that will help you succeed. He is extremely hardworking which will in turn benefit you because that work ethic will a lot of the time rub off onto you.

The hours aren't really set in stone. It's not a strict 9-5 policy, although you may want to work extra as I will explain below. The dress code is also lax. Whatever you’re comfortable in right now is acceptable in office. If you feel good, you’ll perform well!

Some of the events the company has are also an awesome bonus! From time to time there are also cool team building activities. These events and activities help bring everyone together as a tight knit group.

Cons

You get what you put in when working for Skyrocket Ventures. To see results quicker, you may want to work a little more than the traditional day. As long as you work hard, the results come. If you expect to take it easy, you probably won't reach your true potential and make the kind of money you really want to make. The environment rewards those who stay here for a while and work hard, but it takes a while before you see the results. If you plan on only working here for a year or two, it probably won't be worth it.

Once you’ve been at Skyrocket Ventures for a good amount of time, you may feel it becoming robotic. This is a part of recruiting you’ll have to get used to no matter what role you play in the company. This job is probably not for someone who wants to use a lot of analytical skills. However, you should still be trying to “upgrade” and better yourself along the way.

If you're uptight and can't have a good time while working hard, this job may not be for you. People who have a big ego or do not work well with others will not like working here. People who are set in their ways and are not coach-able or eager to learn will not do well here.

In this job you face a lot more rejection than appreciation from candidates and clients. You'll have to overcome a lot of rejection in order to do a good job. Many recruiting companies out there are considered unethical or not very good at their job, thus making it harder for us to convince candidates or clients to give us an opportunity to work with them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Start your career at a different recruiting firm. Don't ruin your resume and waste any time here."

I worked at Skyrocket Ventures full-time

Pros

The founder did have a lot of years of experience and helped to train people quickly, although there was very little time spent training one-on-one. At the start of the interview process, he was also very clear about what the responsibilities would entail.

There is a lot of growth in this industry.

Cons

The founder has very questionable recruiting practices and ethics. He would also teach team members to avoid reaching out to people of certain ethnicities and more specifically women of certain ethnicities, such as Chinese women.

Having the name Skyrocket Ventures on my resume was an obstacle to getting new career opportunities. To anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in recruiting, I would highly recommend starting at a respected recruiting firm with a good reputation.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employees and treat them fairly.

"Great place to work with the best startups in Silicon Valley"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Working at Skyrocket Ventures is an amazing opportunity for anybody looking to get into the recruiting industry. They only work with leaders at top tier technology companies and startups. I personally worked with C-level executives at dozens of companies as well as VP's and managers to help develop strategies that would attract them the best engineers in a highly competitive market. The founder of Skyrocket Ventures has many years of experience at other top recruiting firms and knows the industry better than most. You receive training from management on all aspects of the business but the majority of learning will come from experience. Immediately upon starting you are already talking with top engineers at companies like Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. Skyrocket Ventures already has a large pool of amazing engineers that are passively seeking a better opportunity and not working with any other recruiting firm. Many startups, even ones with a "no external recruiters policy", work with Skyrocket Ventures exclusively because they prove time and time again that they're the best at what they do.

It takes being a self-starter and hard work to get good at this job if you're new to the industry, but it's very rewarding and you can make a lot of money. I was able to close a deal in my first month, but it takes going the extra mile to do that. After the first deal, the amount of opportunities to close more keeps growing exponentially. You can easily make well into six figures your first year if you are smart, dedicated, and driven. Skyrocket Ventures was an incredible learning experience and I'm insanely grateful for the time I spent there.

Cons

While there is a base salary to get you going when you're first starting out, you only start to make real money when you're closing deals and it's entirely up to you to be able to do that. If you aren't making a lot of money it means you're not good at your job and you'll probably be let go. Unfortunately, some people will blame the management for this because they don't want to believe they weren't cut out for it. This job isn't for everybody. You'll receive the training you need, but some skills can't be taught and some people just aren't cut out for this. While it's a boiler room environment, you are part of a team and they are there to help you out.

This isn't the standard 9-5 job. While you're free to leave after regular hours, you're not likely to succeed in the business that way. If you want to excel at this job and make great money, it takes going above and beyond. That means staying late and working every now and then on the weekend. No matter how good you are, sometimes deals can fall through and it's completely out of your control. Some employees take it personally and let it get to them, but you can't let it drag down your attitude.

"Stay away from this place if you have any self-respect and dignity!!!"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

If you are desperate to get into recruiting you may try this place for few months and move on as soon as you have any other opportunities in this industry.

Cons

A boiler room environment, very cut throat. You will not receive any recognition for doing a good job. There is no opportunity for growth and career advancement. On average it takes six months before you see any commissions even if you are great at what you do. Benefits package does not exist. Owner has no respect for his employees. People last on average 4-6 months.

"Can't beat the money or the laid back environment"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

Pros

If you're money motivated, this is the place for you - the earning potential is endless. The environment of the office is super, super laid back and probably not for the overly uptight -- full of personality and fun but also a place where serious work is getting done all of the time. I found management to be extremely flexible in allowing time off for both health and personal concerns as long as a legitimate reason was given. There is a bit of a right of passage, but once you've earned the respect of management and peers everyone feels very equal in the office. A great place to work regardless of where you are in your career.

Cons

Hours -- because they're potentially endless. There is always more to do and if you think in terms of dollars, it's hard to fight the urge to bring work home, come in on weekends, etc. This is also easily a pro for those who like money.

Not a lot of analytical thinking or problem solving requirement. A good place to test your limits in terms of sales ability, but most tasks don't require a ton of brain stretching. Again -- this could also easily be a pro for others.

"Seriously: You get what you make of it"

Pros

The network this small company has been able to develop is very surprising. For proprietary reasons, there's little we're allowed to say about our clients & our methods, but there's big benefits from working with this team. You won't find any hand-holding and the work is demanding, but there's a lot of ways for you to literally cash in on others' experience.

In absence of a formal, extended training regimen, the team is designed to make everyone an equal contributor--you have just as much an opportunity to lead as to learn. If you can pick up on the experience that is around you, you'll be successful & the skills are going to be applicable to whatever step you take next in your career. However, it's on you to ask questions & come forward with your ideas.

Some people need more structure & a more formal setting, but if you can let go of the tie & suit or needing to use/hear "sir" & "ma'am", you'll find the environment is more relaxed during office hours than most places during happy hour.

Compensation: "base" pay is relatively low, but no ceiling to amount you can make via placements
    Time off: Basically ask for a day off and it's yours. No one is calculating sick days, counting times you're late, or putting deadlines on how much notice you need. So long as you're not a slacker & it's within reason, you'll get an OK for almost anything you need.
    Vacation: Mandatory vacation during the holidays, with huge gaps between holidays that we actually shutdown for, but there's plenty of leeway for personal time
    Benefits: Health insurance options range from none, to pretty standard, to pretty nice (your choice depending on how much you want to contribute). Vision/dental isn't directly offered.

Cons

Recruiting is a rough, tough, and sometimes dirty business. By nature the industry is a grinder and there will be high stress & high fallout. Honestly, this is not the kind of job you suggest to most of your friends. Even if you get GREAT at each of the things you need to do this kind of work, there's no guarantee that you'll be successful.

What makes it harder here is that some employees will seriously try to outwork you, so there's some pressure to keep up with the hours they put in & the work they do. It's really up to you to control your schedule (no one tracks your hours), but once you start keeping pace, the workload can seriously cut into your social/personal life.

Because of the relaxed environment things can turn slightly frat house from time to time, so if you're not used to hearing a foul word or a crude joke at work, your first on-site at Skyrocket can be major culture shock. **I'm sure more than one candidate has totally misjudged how serious this team is about their work