KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Skytap

Is this your company?

Skytap

Add a Review

Skytap Employee Reviews about "people"

Updated Jan 25, 2022

62 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I love working at Skytap!

Aug 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Skytap is in an exciting industry, and it has unique capabilities that solve real customer problems. The product works, and it works very well. There are smart and talented people across Skytap, and everyone is invested in the success of the company. The company invests in employees with frequent perks and good work/life balance.

Cons

Skytap has grown quickly over the past few years. There are some growing pains, but these are excellent opportunities for innovation in the company.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Thrilled to be part of an exciting, growing company

Aug 1, 2017 - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- As a financial analyst, it’s very rare to be involved in a company of this size and stage. Offers many chances to participate in financial exercises that a large company typically silos - Financial leadership is very willing to include people of all levels in important discussions - Employees are encouraged to invent and explore as much as possible - Company has a major market opportunity - Leadership are experienced, driven, and approachable - Amazing work life balance - Office culture is fun but focused. Employees are very smart people who enjoy work and play

Cons

- Some parts of the work can be unstructured but that isn’t unique to Skytap. Allows for opportunities to define workflows and processes

3. 5.0

Great Leadership and Great Direction

Jan 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Skytap's people and leadership are the reason the company shines and has been stable for so many years.

Cons

Things are moving quickly, so expect some start-up characteristics.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Terrible culture driving away talent

Jun 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Skytap has some good perks, including catered lunches on Fridays and a flexible work remote option. They also offer your choice in technology (PC or Mac), and are good about appointing your work station with whatever you need. The office itself is in a convenient central location, and there are some good lunch options in the area near Pioneer Square.

Cons

Where do I begin? Skytap itself is an interesting product, but the culture here is toxic. For that, I think Skytap has a dim future unless there is a drastic change in upper management. Skytap fosters a blame culture. It’s every man for himself, so if you enjoy working as part of a team and sharing knowledge and successes, this is not the company for you. Management does nothing to inspire team members to actually work together, and indeed actively encourages team members to pass the buck, assign blame, or hand-off work until the least popular people on the team are saddled with an unreasonable amount of responsibility. If you are detail oriented and are passionate about producing high quality work, this is definitely not the place for you. Under the current management, you will be forced to adjust numbers to look more favorable to the board. Style is valued far more than substance at Skytap, and employees who skew numbers to give the appearance of success are celebrated. Those who identify areas of improvement and offer solutions are treated as problems by upper management. Skytap has a fiercely hierarchical org structure, to its own detriment, as much of the more practical and effective strategies actually come from its lower level employees. These technical and talented people are leaving in droves, which is gradually revealing the ineptitude of the directors and the chief staff. There is a well-founded distrust of the senior HR management at Skytap. Lewd and unprofessional behavior is hand waved at Skytap. Nothing confidential is kept secret, even by well-intentioned employees, and personnel issues are gossiped about and passed around by those in the proverbial “inner circle.” Employees are fired publicly and with little to no warning, only to be laughed at and gossiped about after they have left. Skytap does not support its employees professionally, and there are scant opportunities to develop your career here, whether by promotion or expanding one’s skill set. Employees are expected to produce miracles with little or no resources, and are cast aside when unrealistic expectations are not met. Overall, this is an unhappy place to work. The senior leadership is uninspired and lazy, particularly those individuals close to retirement. Hard working employees will not get support or recognition here. The environment is cliquish and juvenile, and the morale is low.

17 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0

boutique cloud computing shop

Dec 1, 2012 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

amazing technology extremely smart people great engineering management comfortable workplace

Cons

features are introduced slowly lack of general vision

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best company I've ever worked for

Sep 1, 2020 - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in a professional environment for almost 15 years and this is the best experience I've had, hands down. The people are truly amazing and sincere. Upper management tries and succeeds in creating a positive culture. The services offered are top-notch and our clients are treated as if they are apart of the Skytap family. Every team is involved to create a good experience from our smaller clients to our enterprise clients. This is a very ethical company which is very important to me. Compensation and benefits are good. Plenty of time off and most importantly the work-life balance is more than fair. The managers are wonderful and very approachable. Everyone is committed to helping each other succeed. Social issues are important and they not only talk the talk but walk the walk. I'm proud to work here. I've always been an idealist so working for a company that tries to better the community is wonderful. This is a wonderful place to work overall.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is the commission structure is a little confusing. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0

Tremendous Potential

Aug 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The offering has potential and upper management seems to be well equipped to tap into it. They are going 'all in' to prepare for continued growth.

Cons

Some middle managers seem to not particularly care for people in general - they are mean and rude at times. I believe this is a part of growing pains and those managers will eventually be displaced.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee

Some interesting pockets but overall not great.

Mar 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There's some really great technology, and Skytap is often trying to push the bleeding edge. Fully willing to try new things ... and this is a sweet spot in a very hot and growing market. Some very smart people to work with.

Cons

Slow moving at times, mid-level management is generally very poor. The company lacks some direction ("this market is hot and growing, we have a great idea and good technology, now what can we do with it?") and feels a bit adrift. Without a clear plan for the technology and little opportunity for professional advancement, there's a fair bit of political jockeying for the best projects.

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Hardware to Front End Cloud Engineering without Big Company Craziness

Feb 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get insight into all aspects of what it takes to engineer a global cloud from physical hardware and networking, through hypervisors, SDN, storage to ELK, web front end and operations. Skytap is small enough you get much deeper insights into both the technology and the leadership. Great engineering oriented CEO that understands how to balance business and engineering/operational needs. Great people who are fun to work with.

Cons

Breadth of individual ownership and accountability is significant.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great group of people, heading in the right direction

Sep 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I saw several negative reviews for Skytap here on Glassdoor before I accepted the position, but had such a great interview experience, I didn't even ask about it. I work in engineering. I am still ramping up, but so far it has been a great experience. The engineers are very supportive to new hires. I have had people sit with me and explain things without my even having asked. When I have asked to talk with a co-worker for a few minutes - coming up to speed, asking questions, everyone has been very helpful and available. This is not a 'fake' review posted by HR :-). The product is interesting, is not competing with the big players, and has a huge potential market. The company is growing, and growth requires changes. The management understands where they are and where they need to be. The roadmap is on-point and good progress is being made.

Cons

No cons. Great snacks in the kitchen!

1 person found this review helpful