Skytop Lodge Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cook"

Former Employee - Cook in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cook in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work people were fun and you had many great chances to move up the ladder

Cons

Some of the managers abused there power also the pay could've been a lot better

2. "You will be treated like dirt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skytop, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skytop, PA

I worked at Skytop Lodge part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Might be an alternative to starving for a short time

Cons

Everything, and your coworkers will stab you in the back

Advice to Management

Supervisors seem to need to have total authoritarian control with no feedback allowed. Employees see and experience things you, as supervisors, are unaware of, so it would be a good idea not to humiliate or punish them for speaking up. Beyond that, employees need to be able to have recreation and explore surrounding areas on time off, and if you could contribute to that, you would get a better workforce. True, Skytop could continue to run as a prison camp, but frankly if your employees are not stressed, they will better represent Skytop. Cooperation and communication are far better than competition in a workplace. You run a tight ship, but who are you at war with? Safety should be the highest priority, not the lowest! As an employee, the experience was awful. I escaped alive.

3. "Very nice place,friendly people."

Current Employee - Server in Skytop, PA
    Current Employee - Server in Skytop, PA

Pros

Lot,s of trails,pool,ice-skating,skiing,beatiful vista.
    Nice gardens,very well kept outside.

Cons

Hard on the feet,bt good food.

Advice to Management

Wood be nice to have a little more money after 6 years working there.

"Beautiful resort but run very poorly."

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Skytop, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Skytop, PA

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

beautiful grounds. Lovely lodge with historical charm.

Cons

Unfortunately not the best place for employment. managed poorly. Not run like a resort or upscale hotel usually are.If you aren't related to someone already working there, or become party friends with management don't plan on keeping your job. discriminate against anyone , very unprofessional, hypocritical, inconsistent with policies and procedures. Everyday got to be so stress full because of all the procedure changes. you were instantly written up if you didn't know about the change before you reported to work. Embarrassingly underpaid for the amount of work done. Required to stand your whole shift. No management to back you up. Had to stand for hours on a thin rug on concrete hard floor. Hard on anyone's body. Guests and a lot of homeowner s or board members treat you like dirt. Not a friendly place to work. previous general manager was available with an open door. New GM is never in his office or door locked with him in there. Not approachable.
    Would not reccomend this place of employment. Sketchy hr team. Highly full of nepotism and inconsistencies. You may have a stellar resume but they would hire the convict over you if their family member was already an employee.

Advice to Management

Be more open to listening to your employees. Compassion and professionalism go a lot farther than the whip.

"Cheated, discriminated against, harassed, used, wasted (and so on...)"

Former Employee - Doorperson in Skytop, PA
    Former Employee - Doorperson in Skytop, PA

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful grounds. One meal per shift (you can choose either brkfst, Lnch or dnnr). Decent benefits, including 401K. Some of the top managers (that is, "SOME" of the Board Members) are wonderful people.

Cons

I worked at Skytop for approx. 3 years and literally gave them more than their money's worth in work. Got so popular there that all kinds of negative reactions from co-workers to managers began to follow me. Two Human Resources members began to chase me embarrassingly with sexual advances (you should be able to imagine the negative impact when I politely rejected their advances!). One co-worker felt he was the top boss because he's been employed there for 16 years. The man harassed me for nearly the entire time I worked in the same department with him and all my complaints to Human Resources were absolutely to no avail (despite the SOLID evidence I presented them with of me being outright discriminated against and harassed). Human Resources would hold meetings with employees and give these heart-felt speeches about how the doors to HR is always open for anybody who needs to complain or simply just want to vent their thoughts about anything or anyone. They'd go on to say that we can speak to HR openly and even if cursing helps get the thoughts out...welcome! The doors are NOT open for everyone; only to THEIR family and friends.They force you to sign documents and take surveys by threatening to withhold your paycheck. They'll have you use your own vehicle to go on errands, have you use your personal money and only give you back the exact amount for whatever they had you get them (no gas or vehicle wear & tear money, etc.). I no longer work there because I quit after the harassment was too unbearable. I had hoped to have a career at Skytop but those type of thoughts are not for every employee. Racism is a major issue there. I am not saying that everyone there are racist but several that are have this clout with some big figures there and if you do not accept their harassment...they will use their under-the-table clout to cause you to lose your job -no matter how many children you have to provide for or how many bills you have to pay!

Advice to Management

There is no advise you can give to a management of arrogant people accept...be conscious of how you treat people on your way to the top because those same people you will see on your way to the bottom....

6. "Former Staff Member at Skytop"

Former Employee - Staff Member
    Former Employee - Staff Member

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time

Pros

Co-workers were nice and I enjoyed seeing everyone from the many different departments cooperate and be close - like a family.

On-site housing was as nice as you'd expect. It's like a college dorm but feels like an old folks home, haha.

Cons

* Terrible hours - there was more than one occasion where I'd be expected to stay later than scheduled or my manager would ask me to do tasks that were not on my job description. I didnt mind helping when needed but my job as a staff member does not mean I'm a secretary. I shouldn't have to do things for you because you're understaffed and don't feel like doing them yourself.

* In addition to the terrible hours, after our Director of [Department Omitted] got replaced, a lot of the things we were told or taught to do suddenly changed but the method of letting us know about the changes in how we did things was always word of mouth. Nothing was consistent. No one knew where anyone was and we were expected to know things and if we didn't we were yelled at.

* There was an instance when I was the only one on schedule and I had to do certain things that was scheduled. I was yelled at for doing my job and questioned about why I was doing it. Like, hello, I'm doing my job? I know what I'm doing?

* Director of [Department Omitted] wanted things done a certain way and told me and staff members to our face that if we were helping guests and had to go, to cut the conversations with guests short and not give them the time of day. I was taught to give exceptional service to guests but what was told to me was the opposite of that. What's up that?

* Meals in the Employee cafeteria is always undercooked or with very little effort. I always bought my lunch instead.

* After a while of working in the department I was in, management was draining me. I simply could not enjoy my job. My assistant manager would berate myself and coworkers in front of guests and Director of [Department Omitted] would do so as well and make me and my coworkers feel incompetent. I disliked feeling that way. The pay was not worth how I was being treated.

* The Pay did not equal the amount of work I was expected to do.

Advice to Management

One of your newer Department Directors need to treat their staff better and not treat them like secretaries. I understand certain things needed to change but the lack of communication and general attitude ruined the working experience.

7. "Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere"

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free lunch....actually never mind, you're rarely allowed to eat or get a break

Cons

Absolutely pathetic management, its truly embarrassing. Skytop was once a highly esteemed place to stay. It is now a place filled with Groupon coupon hunters, and you know what that brings in...

If you're a weak-minded and submissive suck-up, management will love you. If you know what you're doing and try to give advice to a manager or correct them, you might as well try to start a fire under Niagra Falls. Their way or nothing, and thats why the place is crumbling. There is extremely high employee turnover here. Skytop lost money last year as a company (fact), and I don't see that changing...

Read the reviews from March 11, 2017 and November 6, 2016. Not only are they a bit funny, they are spot on. Chicken tenders were the highlight of my employment, because it surely wasn't the meager paychecks.

Advice to Management

Remember Trumps "Drain the Swamp" slogan?..... Look it up. Then, do the resort a favor and resign.

8. "If you like your freedom, don't work here."

Pros

There isn't much I can say besides the decent chicken tenders.

Cons

There all day.
    Work you like a dog.
    Hardly any break time.
    Management is terrible.

Advice to Management

None.

"Good & Bad"

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time

Pros

Beautiful property, lots of long term employees, housing option for employees, ability to stay on property for a discount

Cons

Most employees are not respected by managers, they get away with treating employees unfairly. The pay is not good for job you do, employees are asked to do more for less. They don't care about employees at all.

Advice to Management

Pay better, treat employees fairly, give a better benefit package, train your managers and supervisors on respect

"Very political and poorly run"

I have been working at Skytop Lodge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Use of facilities, close to my home, tips

Cons

Pathetic food quality, management has a "conform or be fired" attitude, no responsibility by anyone working there

Advice to Management

Stay listening to the unifocus reviews and your employees, quit bring so cheap and start advertising, updatee and properly maintain your equipment and facilities