Skytree Reviews | Glassdoor

Skytree Reviews

Updated Aug 28, 2019

Found 17 reviews

Skytree CEO Ray Villeneuve (no image)
Ray Villeneuve

"I like it"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Skytree full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like the culture of the company a lot, it is a bit like an academic group (not surprsising since it started as one) but with much better pay and way less politiking. Interesting projects and very capable knoweledgeable coworkers and superiors, very open to new ideas and technologies. Frequent guests from universities and research labs. Flexible work arrangements, flexible hours.

Cons

We are a startup and with it come the usual startup cons, e.g. an occassional crunch time where something *HAS* to be done today, longer work week - 45-50 hours seems about average. As far as company specific cons - I really can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Would be cool if we had more company-wide events, e.g. a fishing trip or five.

Skytree2014-07-11
  2. "Good times"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Skytree full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great, smart people, welcoming culture.

Cons

Leadership changed one too many times.

Advice to Management

Should've been aware of issues with the product; growth broke lines of communication.

Skytree2019-08-28

"Management"

I worked at Skytree

Pros

Great technology in a growing market. Good long term strategy.

Cons

Were a bit early to the game, then struggled a bit to get the right product strategy in place. Taking too long to simplify machine learning for the broader market.

Advice to Management

Focus on ease of use and simplicity above all else. Make ML consumable by the broader market.

Skytree2016-06-21
  4. "Management"

I worked at Skytree full-time

Pros

cutting edge technology, good problem area

Cons

start up, lack of stability

Advice to Management

listen to customers and market dynamics

Skytree2016-05-18

"Yes, there've been some rough patches, but things are on the up"

I have been working at Skytree full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smartest group of people I've worked with. I'm sure things are different from group to group but the people I interact with are almost always positive and supportive. There has been a substantial shift in the company's direction, and it's the right move, but the sharp change in focus was difficult for a lot of people to deal with.

Cons

As others have said, there's very little communication from executive management. And it's a startup, so there will be quick course corrections, lots of challenges, and occasional missteps--not everybody is going to enjoy working in that kind of environment.

Advice to Management

Communicate more regularly, from the Cs and VPs.

Skytree2016-01-02

"Unpleasant Experience and Unstable organization"

I worked at Skytree

Pros

Some folks are smart and friendly. Stocked kitchen and coffee machine helps. A beer bash on Fridays is certainly plus.

Cons

Well, rest of the reviews depicts the picture of Skytree. I've had the most unpleasant work experience here. Product management has no knowledge of the technology or where company is going with always changing goals.

Advice to Management

Take some efforts to have transparent view of the company performance.

Skytree2015-12-31

"Secretive and non-communicative"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA

I worked at Skytree full-time for more than a year

Pros

The engineering team consists of some of the brightest minds you can find. There are a lot interesting problems to work on, and the fully stocked kitchen helps too.

Cons

The CEO is says absolutely nothing to the employees other than those in the C-suite. There is zero transparency in the company. And the executive team does nothing to motivate and retain the great talent that they have, or had. Employees are treated as mere means to an end.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills.

Skytree2015-11-20

"Interesting technology, badly run company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Skytree full-time

Pros

Interesting area (machine learning). Lots of future potential. Skytree's implemented a subset of ML methods and has done a pretty good job performance wise.

Cons

Skytree doesn't know how to take advantage of what it's done, if indeed it can take advantage. I'm not a CEO, it's beyond my pay-grade to figure out things like this. All i know is that we lost our way, we don't have a compelling strategy. On top of that, the sales people are churning and the engineers are leaving. This is not a healthy place to be.

Advice to Management

Get a grip ... figure out your business, get some stability in the team ... otherwise skytree will be dead in 6 months.

Skytree2015-10-16

"Amateur hour"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Skytree full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the smartest and nicest people work on the Engineering and Data Science teams. Sadly many have left.

Cons

Where to begin? Founding team has roots in ivory towers of academia and it shows in their general lack of experience and amateurishness. The CTO is erratic and prone to fights of fancy. We once went through a 2 month death march period when the man publicly emailed out roll calls of employees coming in over the weekend and staying late on weekdays, implicitly shaming those who wanted a semblance of work-balance. As... with the CTO, Product Management is also a joke at this place with no real experience in the industry. Product roadmap has frequent changes and feature requests are often not well thought and it isn't uncommon for requirements change from underneath. Given that deadlines are often forced on the engineering team, entirely guided by external factors such as ceaseless need to play catchup with lies management has been selling the investors and a barely existent customer base. This has resulted in a steaming pile of a code base. To top this off, HR was pretty unprofessional surprisingly bureaucratic minded for a startup. We had no peer reviews, no feed was ever shared, your performance was whatever the management said it was. A lot of good people have left the company as a result. While I do honestly get the need for "fake it till you make it" when you're a scrappy startup, Skytree's exaggerations go well above any sense of proportion (10,000x faster than other solutions *barf*). The website overstates the number of paying customers and barely anyone uses the flagship product "Skytree Infinity". All in all Skytree has been singularly the most stressful, unenjoyable and an unprofessional experience in my career.

Advice to Management

Stop playing startup and return the money to investors.

Skytree2015-09-23

"Mixed feelings"

I worked at Skytree

Pros

Excellent cultured center on math, data science and analytics Fun team and people Exciting field with lots of opportunities to build successful businesses

Cons

The executive team is a revolving door Sales team has been turned over 3 times Classic case of being stuck in the adoption chasm Sales and Marketing sells things the product doesn't actually do Long hours by engineering team to catchup with what sales sells to customers Lack of transparency on company direction and financials CEO was a generally nice person and decent internal manager but didn't have enough... experience in sales and marketing

Advice to Management

Listen more to customers More transparency More openness Build more community

Skytree2015-07-12