Skyward IO Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 18, 2019

Found 23 reviews

3.9
Mariah Scott
  1. "Onward, Upward, Skyward!"

Former Employee - Office Manager/Executive Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Skyward IO full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fantastic leadership team within Skyward that does their best to advocate for you and encourage personal growth. -Autonomy and trust you'll get done what you need to with space to innovate and bring in new ideas. -Good work life balance and flexibility to leave for personal appointments, care for children, and attend professional development events. -Encouragement from leadership to improve processes and openly...

Cons

-Like all Fortune 500 and large corporations, there are sometimes lengthy or involved processes associated with anything financial or legal. Skyward's leadership team does its best to advocate for work arounds and exceptions when possible.

Skyward IO2019-04-18
  2. "Best Place I've Worked"

Current Employee - S/W Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Skyward IO full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Get to be part of building fascinating and fun technology * Management is available, kind, and transparent * Compensation is great for the Portland area * Coworkers are intelligent and engaged * Huge potential for growth * Work/life balance seems to be a genuine priority

Cons

* Some Verizon hassles that come with being part of a large company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Skyward IO2019-04-04
  3. "This place is GREAT!"

I have been working at Skyward IO full-time

Pros

An interesting industry, great co-workers, flexible but realistic leadership, an appreciation for work life balance, a dog friendly office and working with interesting technology make Skyward a great place to work. Empowered employees make a difference here and it shows.

Cons

None large enough to share here

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees!

Skyward IO2019-02-26

"Avoid at all costs."

I worked at Skyward IO full-time

Pros

None. Avoid at all costs.

Cons

Terrible place to work. No redeeming qualities.

Skyward IO2019-02-26
  5. "Stepping stone for better tech jobs"

I worked at Skyward IO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team of friendly and hardworking people. Flexible schedules in most departments and some ability to work from home. An interesting industry with a lot of innovation and excitement (plus you get a free drone). It's a good place to get your foot in the door if you want to work in emerging tech or drones. New engineering leader is improving the culture 10x.

Cons

Lack of focus and commitment from executive management. The co-president structure is not effective and executive leadership has lost dedication to making excellent product since Verizon bought the company. If you had equity before the purchase, you are probably going to stick it out, otherwise, there isn't incentive to stay or join. Some core values are really just lip service.

Advice to Management

Keep your head in the game and focus on the company and the employees that are still working hard to bring it to its full potential.

Skyward IO2018-03-16

Skyward IO Response

April 23, 2018President

Thank you for the candid feedback. We recently made a leadership change to provide more clarity. You can read more on this here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/onward-upward-skyward-mariah-scott

6. "A great startup with benefits ;)"

I have been working at Skyward IO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, cutting edge projects, and a booming field. All with the backing of one of the largest companies.

Cons

Sometimes the paperwork for Verizon is a drag.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope!

Skyward IO2018-01-12
  7. "Achieving greatness at a startup with big company resources"

I have been working at Skyward IO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Skyward holds to its core values, and is a fascinating place to work. The leadership allows the team autonomy and holds everyone to a high standard that enables to the company to succeed. I highly recommend coming to work here if you're ready to do the best work of your life.

Cons

Despite focusing on good work/life balance, the audacity of the company generally requires a lot of hours at work. At least those hours are interesting, and the company is flexible about working from home.

Skyward IO2017-06-15
  8. "Great culture and hard working team..."

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Skyward IO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent supervisor who is able to multitask on multiple levels. Teams are very friendly and excited to accomplish their best work everyday.

Cons

All of the current cons should be resolved within the next several months.

Advice to Management

Keep the vision alive and continue to strive for excellence.

Skyward IO2017-05-28

"Make Your Own Decisions but Watch Your Back"

I worked at Skyward IO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in a startup is chaotic and an adrenaline-filled roller coaster ride. If you enjoy that kind of pace, you'll find it at Skyward.

Cons

I was perfectly happy for about 8 months. Then randomly began getting targeted for ridicule by my manager in team meetings. I couldn't understand it until I received my annual review. My supervisor blindsided me with a document filled with petty grievances and untruths. The lies were submitted by an "anonymous" reviewer. When I asked why none of their grievances had been discussed with me previously, the CEO said to...

Advice to Management

None

Skyward IO2017-06-19
  10. "A Much Improved Company"

Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Skyward IO full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture on the software side is spectacular! Basically everyone has a mutual respect for everyone else. Everybody is open and willing to help everyone else. A great collaborative culture. Management has improved a ton and works hard to make sure the tasks given to the engineers are doable in the time allotted and shelter us from folks in product who want to pile on more work.

Cons

The older reviews complaining were not entirely wrong about Skyward. There was a time in the crucible, but now that we're done with those times, things are much better. There is a bit of a culture of working a ton. I've never been looked down upon for working 40 hours, but most people put in more. There's usually a rush at the end of sprints which can be mentally exhausting.

Advice to Management

Keep working at sheltering your engineers from scope-creep.

Skyward IO2017-05-10