Skyward Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Skyward CEO Cliff King
Cliff King

1. "Great company, family friendly."

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Tester in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Tester in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Skyward full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses, relaxed schedule, friendly coworkers. The building is great the higher ups are willing to have a beer with you on a Friday.

Cons

Lower base salary than most software companies, bust this is mostly fine because the cost of living in Stevens point is so low.

2. "Consulting Support Representative"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Skyward full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Skyward treats employees very well. I never get bored. We are always creating the next best thing for schools. Customers are great work with.

Cons

I can't really think of any negatives.

3. "Challenging and Rewarding"

I have been working at Skyward full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It may be a new software module or new technology, the nature of a software company is that there is always something new going on. I enjoy that constant opportunity to learn, to collaborate with others to get something from a concept to a completed feature being used at a school. Hands down, the "thing" that makes Skyward "Skyward" is the people. While we are casual (we get to wear jeans everyday) the passion is what has everyone bringing their best and wanting to be there (versus having to be there), Opportunities abound at Skyward. There are opportunities within departments and the opportunity to move to other departments. The new building is incredible but it is hands-down the people that make this a great place to work.

Cons

I would say that Skyward is not a good fit for someone that doesn't enjoy change, challenges and a fast pace.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the passion that has made us a leader. Continue to foster employee growth and community involvement.

"So. Much. Potential."

I have been working at Skyward full-time

Pros

The growth opportunities here are unmatched in the area, given our strong market position in K12 and the incompetence of our major competitors. Our new world headquarters building serves as an attraction in its own right and offers a modern, enjoyable work environment.

The people here offer a unique mix of talent and experience, including a handful of "unicorn" employees scattered throughout the company who are positioned to lead us to an even brighter future. We have an upward-trending culture and our status as a private, family-owned business has helped us maintain a strong sense of identity and purpose.

I am lucky to have landed in my particular department at the exact time I did. If the culture of our entire company matched my personal, day-to-day experience, the "cons" list would be significantly shorter and you'd be looking at a 5-star review.

Our foundation is solid and our mission is worth rallying around. The pay is above-average for the area.

Cons

It's still a very conservative company rooted in old-school traditions. The result is resistance to change and sometimes-disconnected leadership.

Employees are faced with an inconsistent experience from department to department. Depending on your role and/or manager, you may find yourself either empowered and encouraged or micromanaged and lacking support.

The pay structure is weighted heavily in favor of tenure vs. performance and it is not uncommon for managers to make as much as or less than at least some of the people who report to them, despite far more responsibility. High performers will need to be patient to reap the rewards of their efforts.

Advice to Management

The company you've built is one you should be proud of. Because of you, thousands of school districts are more efficient, our Central Wisconsin community is stronger, and hundreds of people have benefited from the career opportunities you've afforded them. That said, we now find ourselves at a crossroads that could very well end up defining our legacy.

We are bursting at the seams with potential, but we'll never reach it if we don't break out of the traditional mindset we were founded upon and evolve into a modern tech company. Conduct a culture survey, loosen the reins, and fully commit to a better experience for your employees and your customers. We're moving in the right direction, but we can't afford to miss our window of opportunity.

6. "Skyward Training Specialist"

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Greenfield, WI
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Greenfield, WI

I have been working at Skyward full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back company to work for. They will go out of their to assist you. The people at skyward are great!

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much of an opportunity to move up the ladder. You can progress as a CS rep but there aren't a lot of management opportunities.

Advice to Management

CS can get boring I would like more of challenge.

7. "Good company. No incentive for managers."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Skyward full-time

Pros

Family feel/culture, even though the company is growing. Huge growth will continue.

Cons

Once you reach a management level, you have no means to make gains in your base salary. You could manage people that make more (sometimes significantly more) money than you do.

Advice to Management

Build a structure for managers of all levels to advance. Have true performance based increases that can exceed the 3-4% increases that are typically given out.

8. "Good Hours, work can stink"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Skyward full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Hours, can travel if you want to

Cons

Lots of office politics, if your last name isn't King, you won't go anywhere in the company.

Advice to Management

Be more strict with punishment and be more concrete - managers in the same department have different approaches and it should be the same. Also, some employees can do whatever they want

9. "Not what I expected."

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Specialist in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Specialist in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Skyward full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New building, successful company, nice people.

Cons

Overall, great company but, I couldn't stand being micromanaged.
    I worked on a team that was self-managing but, my manager managed the crap out of me. I couldn't do anything without direct permission (even though other employees were). I had to ask permission to take a long lunch and tell her where I was going...she would look at my "actions"(how they require you track your time) and then question me about it...even though I was highly productive within my development team.

Very frustrating. They offer a step program to move up through your career but, it is under planned and not effective. I was tested on things that I wasn't given materials on. They gave me materials on plants and then asked questions about animals. Frustrating.

Advice to Management

Like the developers, let your staff work independently. We're smart, driven, and productive people...let us work.

10. "Micromanagement"

Former Employee - Customer Ser in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Ser in Austin, TX

I worked at Skyward full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working with my co-workers and manager

Cons

You will be micromanaged. You will be expected to keep track of your time in two different areas. You will travel more than what you are told during the interview process. Upper Management does not care about the lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your employees and they will be more productive and happier. Be honest during the interview process.

11. "Great company!!"

Current Employee - IT Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - IT Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Skyward full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with school districts around the world. Get to work with new hardware and software technologies. Flexibility with our schedules allows us to work with school districts when they need it.
    Skyward promotes getting together with our coworkers outside the office with 2 - 3 outings a year.
    Little turn over in our area. Many of us have been around 10 - 20 years.

Cons

Short on staff. Skimp on travel expenses.

Advice to Management

Communications improvements. Silly things like on Monday morning payroll will email my manager notifying him to email me a reminder to submit my time sheet. Cut out the time wasted having to ask a manager about a HR question first before asking HR.