Slakey Brothers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 8, 2017

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frank Nisonger

"Do you have the courage?"

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Slakey Brothers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I initially thought the ESOP plan was a joke. However, it has been compounding nicely. I started in 2009, and there was no 401k matching. Now at least they are matching some

Cons

If you enjoy being micro-managed, infantilized, and left out of the loop, this is the place for you. There are no branch meetings, no mentoring, and you will be thrown to the wolves and told, "...that's how we learn."

Advice to Management

Retire immediately! You have no clue how to effectively lead and motivate your team. You have a ton of product knowledge... USE IT! Go back to selling. At least that way you can drive revenue and not continue to delude yourself that you are motivating and driving people to perform... that is something you are incapable of.

2. "human resources"

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

not very truthful in hiring

3. "my time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Slakey Brothers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

working with customers, learning about industry

Cons

tools, technology unwilling to change and lack of concern for employees. Hiring of family

Advice to Management

All employees should feel like they're appreciated not just the sales people. Too much power is given to branch managers, Elk Grove should pay more attention to the branch mgrs.

4. "Admin"

Pros

Great employee ownership culture benefits all employees, friendly coworkers, and helpful Human Resources department. Company is stable and has been in business for many years.

Cons

Unfortunately, during the recession some of the programs for employees had to be eliminated such as company picnics, but some have now been restored.

5. "Decent company"

Former Employee - Order Selector
    Former Employee - Order Selector

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Friendly work environment
    Excellent management communication
    Decent pay for a bit so hard work load great customers

Cons

Saftey isn't the biggest concern we had some serious injuries during my employment with the company. They use a temp agency which hurts the employee on the king run

Advice to Management

Get ride of the temp agency. When you are dealing with problems with employees Kerri the information between you and your employee it's not always a tell everyone thing

"Great employee owned (ESOP) company to work for that will grow in the future"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

Pros

Competitive salary
    Family like environment. Employees want to work hard for each other. Close at 4:30 each day
    ESOP - profits flow back through to the employees
    Management does not breathe down your neck - they allow you to focus on your job and be free to perform
    Strong benefits, matching 401k
    The company has a strong percentage of the workforce that are getting closer to retirement which opens alot of doors for younger people

Cons

Some operational inefficiencies compared to larger corporations. If you like working in a highly structured environment this is not the company for you. There is room for better standard operating procedures to be in place. I think it will take some new talent to achieve this.

Advice to Management

Not much advice to give - it's a great company. I think to improve the company needs to hire some operational talent to dial in on some of the inventory management and working capital piece. Maybe Slakey 'bleeds' too much money away in areas.
    Also it seems there is low turnover - I feel the workforce could be more talented in areas. Some hires have clearly not worked out but are still employees.

7. "It's not your fault"

Former Employee - Employee in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Elk Grove, CA

Pros

Good atmosphere for getting know new people and building trust of your team

Cons

bad time to be in the industry

Advice to Management

look out for the little people

"A Big Corporation With a Small Company Feel"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Reno, NV

Pros

Slakey Bros. is an employee owned company so we all feel we are working for the good of all of us. My experience has been positive and the "doors have been opening" almost since I got there. Management is in tune with the "talent" within the company and those talented employees seem to move up quickly.

Cons

Employees like to know whats going on around them and Slakey Bros. seems to have an " need to know basis only" attitude.

Advice to Management

There are alot of smart people in this company with alot of good ideas... listen to them.