Slalom Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

Consultant

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part (in 196 reviews)

• Great culture allows for many avenues to get involved (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is luck of the draw to the particular project; the company does not presume to owe you any allowance of free time (in 24 reviews)

• Although strategically the company is working to get away from staff aug roles, they were still prevalent in my practice area when I was there (in 46 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Three years in, this is definitely the best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation is fair. I've personally witnessed people receiving 10+% raises because leaders did a market evaluation and found that their folks were not making enough. I've always felt well-compensated.
    - Culture is outstanding. If you stay plugged-in to company events, you will feel like part of a family. I've gone through some personal issues recently, and the amount of people who have reached out offering support, hugs, dinner, beers has been hugely impactful to me. There is a family feel with this company that I have only found at one other place in my career. And as we grow, it's clear the leaders are concerned about fostering this culture and not letting it slip away.
    - Events are top-notch. Skedaddle, the yearly all-expense getaway weekend in the mountains, continues to be a huge draw for me. I love getting to kick back and spend the weekend with coworkers/friends. The Christmas party, summer picnic, Rockies opener tailgate, and other events are all well-done and fun.
    - The company is willing to be self-critical. The Widening the Circle training, for all of it's "diversity rah rah" has a great introspective point to it. We identified the "typical Slalomer": avid drinker, young, preppy, college-educated, white, among others. And it makes us think about the people we may be missing out on because we aren't stepping out of our typical circles to find folks that are just as good if not better, but don't look/act like a typical Slalomer. And I've seen results from the training: we offer more events where drinking isn't a central point--variety is great!
    - Leadership is open. I've witnessed very frank questions from coworkers to both office and national leadership, and have heard frank answers. The leadership at all levels (barring a few folks in the Denver office) is very approachable, personable, and honest. When things go wrong, they own it. When things don't pan out, they analyze why not and tell us. We have insight into company financials and plans on both year and multi-year forecasts.
    - Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part. I've seen practice directors take additional time off after having children. I've had coworkers who moved to a 4-day week to support their personal life needs. All of these changes are supported wherever possible. Consultants have the right to say "no" to a project that won't fit their desired work/life balance.

Cons

- Benefits, particularly 401k match, could use some work. The company has made strides in the benefits area, but they are still not at the level I expect from a world-class company.
    - The ITP process (Intent to Pursue--the promotion process) is not fun for most people that endure it. I've seen two quality coworkers get stuck in ITP with objectives met but no appetite for their promotion. We lost both of them to other companies because they were fed up with not having the promotion occur. ITP is different for different people and roles, as well. Some people it seems don't even go through it, while for others it takes a year. I haven't talked to a single person who has gone through ITP that thought it was valuable.
    - If you aren't willing to put in the time to see and be seen at outside events, your mobility is limited. I don't necessarily see this as a con, but I'm putting it out there for those who expect quality work to be the sole promotion force. Slalom still has a solid group of Consultants who just want to do the work and go home, and that is supported and not in any way deterred.

Advice to Management

For Denver: Keep up the good work. We've got a good family going. Leadership is accessible and personable. Our Operations Manager is a winner--don't let her leave, ever! Let's grow smart and do whatever it takes to keep the culture!
    For National: Beef up the benefits more! 401k match needs to grow! Love the openness about future plans for the company. Love the willingness to answer tough questions. Keep us excited for the future!

Feb 12, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed reflections on working at Slalom Denver. It's wonderful to hear that, by and large, you feel that the culture is "outstanding," the leadership is great and... More

"Like No Where Else"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open Culture, Constant Improvement of yourself and leadership, amazing opportunities, tons of outside events. If something happens to you personally - the company is totally behind you.

Cons

For some, the amount of outside events can be daunting. If you had children at home and a full time working partner - it would be very difficult for you to fulfill on all the extra curriculars.

Advice to Management

Maybe the opportunity to move with the company - more clarity on the promotion process.

Sep 8, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks so much for your reflections. It's great to hear that you enjoy the Slalom culture, your colleagues, and the ongoing improvement within the office. It's also wonderful that you feel so... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Diversity of project work; interesting opportunities to expand your skill-set
    -Upward mobility
    - Open to honest feedback; if you want to make something happen you can
    - Great project teams and clients
    -Work-life balance

Cons

- Some company leaders lack emotional intelligence
    - Many leaders are the typical 'middle-aged white man'; wish there were more senior level women leaders
    -Still lacking some of the processes that the bigger/more established firms have

Advice to Management

Provide leaders with training on emotional intelligence and provide employees with training on how to provide feedback to company leaders

Sep 22, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for your reflections. It’s great to hear that you're enjoying your colleagues, your work, and the culture of Slalom ATL. Your feedback on processes, diversity in leadership and the opportunity... More

4. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, decent pay, supportive team

Cons

Poor PTO and 401k match

Advice to Management

Better benefits, please!

"Fantastic Decision to Work Here!"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people you work with will push you to be the best version of yourself. Having so many co-workers come from other consulting firms means that everyone has been around the block before, there's no "oh what do I do now" conversations with new hires, and things work smoothly.
    - My managers actually care about me in a way I haven't had at other firms. There's a serious culture of making sure that you are doing ok both professionally and personally - before any new engagement I'm asked several times if I want to do it, if I'm ok with it, and there's no problem if I say no.
    - The activities are fantastic - there's always plenty going on after work with colleagues; plenty of clubs and organizations to join and try new things with!

Cons

- The promotion process is opaque - which is somewhat fair considering that this is a very flat organization and the title "Consultant" can mean a 27 year old from Deloitte or a 43 year old who had his own firm for several years.
    - 401k contribution is weak
    - Maternity/Paternity leave is not as strong as it should be

Advice to Management

Keep investing in hiring great people, and give them the attention they deserve. The success will follow that.

Aug 25, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience at Slalom. It's great to hear that you feel so supported by your colleagues and managers and that you are enjoying the culture so much. Your feedback regarding the... More

"Good place to work, if you like being a consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, smart co-workers, ability to move around, and the company helps you find your next bit of work.

Cons

The variable-pay model is terrible. Not only do you only earn about 50% of your pay while on the bench (which, you have no control over how long you're on the bench), you earn less vacation time than salary employees.

Advice to Management

Do away with the variable-pay model, or make it better. One suggestion would be salary up to 40 hours, and then incorporate the variable component, to encourage ALL consultants to put in additional time when needed. Sync up the vacation policies too.

Aug 18, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for providing some reflections on your time with Slalom thus far. It's good to hear that you are enjoying your coworkers, the benefits, and the overall model. Thanks also for your advice and... More

"Amazing company, filled with incredibly talented people who care about you professionally and personally"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom is by far the best place I have ever worked. Many people ask me if all of the things they hear and read about Slalom being a great company are true. I can honestly say that they are and then some. Slalom is the real deal. It is a company that truly cares about its employees, is passionate about its work, and wants to make the world a better place.

- Amazing co-workers (friendly, supportive, and genuinely happy)
    - Impactful work (affecting real business outcomes for clients and the community)
    - Supportive Culture (everyone wants each other to succeed)
    - Open Culture (no office politics. Open, honest, and sincere conversations)
    - Great Work Life Balance (truly want employees to have a balanced, healthy life so that they can bring their best selves to client projects)
    - Leaders who care (For example, getting a call from the general manager of the Denver market to tell me that I am doing a good job, having my consulting manager check in on me regularly and make sure that the client engagement I am on is compatible with my life situation)
    - Awesome office events to promote building relationships and memories with co-workers
    - Ability to work in the local market and develop real, lasting relationships with clients

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to focus on nurturing a caring, inclusive culture as the headcount grows.

Aug 12, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed reflections on working at Slalom Denver. It's wonderful to hear that the culture is both supportive and honest and that your coworkers are amazing. It... More

"The middle "leadership team" is the problem"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart and experienced people who you can bounce ideas off with

Cons

Unfortunately these smart and experienced people are not in the middle LT "Leadership Team", especially the so called people managers whose job is ensure you are utilized. There's little chance you'll learn from or grow professionally with them.

Secondarily, I wish Slalom would just admit it is not too far from a staffing agency.

Third, culture talk is really irking. The fraternity culture grates on those who do not want to participate either they can't due to other priorities in their life or they simlly don't want to .

Aug 12, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I hope you share this feedback with your leaders that you are closest to. If you are open to talking to me to share more, simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to... More

9. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture
    Challenging and meaningful project work
    Excellent work/life balance
    Fair and caring management team

Cons

Packed office on Friday - get there early!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - this is a special place to be.

Aug 14, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience of Slalom Boston. It’s awesome to hear that you are enjoying the work and culture of Slalom as well as your management team. Your feedback to both "keep doing what... More

"Left without hesitation for better opportunity"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really smart, lovely people. Inspirational talk.

Cons

Getting ahead of itself, taking contractor work to make ends meet. Sell consultants on local model with no sales, but with no real career progression without it.

Advice to Management

Know the value of your employees.

Aug 12, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I'll share with the SF office. Should you want to share more about what you saw, feel free to email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to talk. Alternatively, if you’d... More