Slalom Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
  1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits, Office location and friendly people

Cons

Currently have no cons at the moment

Slalom2019-08-19
  2. "A new approach to consulting"

Current Employee - Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership has your best interest in mind and wants to see you succeed and grow as an individual

Cons

401k is currently only matched at 50% up to 6% of employee contributions

Slalom2019-10-03
  3. "Great company to grow at!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

- People - Culture - Compensation The people at Slalom will be the best you've ever worked with, not only skill-wise but culture as well. There's great pride put into every tool, decision, and hire made, so I have never felt like there's any one thing to view negatively. Keep doing what you're doing!

Cons

As with any consultancy, the work and culture of the clients can overshadow all the positives of Slalom.

Slalom2020-03-19

"Great place for product managers"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started out in the analyst program, and work in the technology enablement practice. Since I have not been in the consulting industry before, I can't really provide any comparisons other than it isn't our job to find ourselves engagements and projects. Slalom is not cutthroat -- they are a supportive environment where you can truly do whatever you want to accomplish. I love my coworkers and I feel so lucky to be able to be supported here, especially as a woman in technology. I've made a ton of friends through Slalom. If you want to work in product management, this is the best place to do it. Same pay, varied projects, tons of growth opportunities, a stable environment, and wonderful culture and coworkers. This is the first place I've ever seen myself working over 4 years at -- and coming from industry, that's a very, very good sign.

Cons

Hire more women in technology! Provide more for your employees. Travel without a car is rough, and we shouldn't have to front the cost to do our jobs.

Slalom2020-03-03

"Worst Decision of My Career"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The events and quarterlies are nice, but you're paying for them with your salary.

Cons

Joining Slalom was the worst decision of my career. Having spent 5+ years in a larger consulting firm (where I was content, but not challenged), I wanted to try something new but didn't want a drastic change. I had read the Glassdoor reviews and thought Slalom might be a great transition. 2 months in, I was spending 4 hours a day commuting on a project that was not even remotely aligned to my skills nor interests. I started interviewing 4 months in, received an offer, but was afraid the lack of tenure at a firm would look bad on my resume history (silly me). I dragged it out for a year and am now in a MUCH better place, but wasting a year of your career can mean a lot, especially when you're young. - You will very rarely be assigned to projects that are aligned to your skills or interests. This didn't just happen to me, but many people in my practice. - Slalom likes to take projects that other consulting firms wouldn't even consider, just because they have a hard time competing with larger or more reputable consulting firms. A director in my practice even admitted Slalom is in 'no-man's land' when it comes the industry. Slalom isn't priced to compete with cheaper body shops, can't deliver the same quality as boutique/smaller firms, and doesn't have the reputation nor resources of larger consulting firms. - Management is downright nasty. Projects weren't great, but I always loved my clients, and it angered me to hear management speak poorly of them. Phrases like "they're so 20th century" or "they're never going to get there" would make my blood boil. Why be so condescending when clients are paying $$ for help? Do you really think you are that much better? Also, very few folks outside the consulting industry have heard of Slalom, so if you're eventually looking to move into industry, it won't help (and perhaps even hurt).

Slalom2020-03-01
  6. "Slalom review"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

one of the best places to work. Friendly environment. A lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Clients might be tough sometimes

Slalom2020-01-23

"Nasty alt-right corporate culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good social atmosphere and great parties.

Cons

If you ever wondered what an alt-right corporate culture feels like, you will find it at Slalom DC. They talk a big talk about diversity because it's necessary to attract talent in a tight job market. But the reality is that if you are a minority, the odds are your mission is to staff undesirable positions just to help management meet their financial targets. If you don't mind a job with no real growth, or if you are in it for the short haul, go for Slalom DC. But if you are counting on real long-term growth, take a shortcut and look elsewhere. To reiterate what other reviewers have written about Slalom DC, this is a staffing agency masquerading as a consulting company. Limited opportunities exist but not for minorities. Another common complaint I hear from employees is the bull job interviews where they promise you quality work. Once you join, you will soon discover that Slalom DC goes after crumbs and contracts other vendors turn down.

Slalom2020-02-10

Slalom Response

February 29, 2020President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I hope you talk directly to your GM about this. Especially given she is a minority, I would expect her to really listen to what you are seeing and feeling. If you would like to connect on any of these items with me directly, please don't hesitate to send me an email to schedule a time to talk - johnt@slalom.com. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

8. "Good company"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

Good work and life balance

Cons

Some clients are not desirable

Slalom2020-01-06
  9. "Incredible place to work and grow as a professional."

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flat org structure gives everyone an equal say and creates a really strong collaborative environment

Cons

Consultants are challenged to plan their own career with no formal guidelines. Can be challenging at times

Slalom2019-12-21
  10. "Choose your own adventure"

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for the entrepreneurial and blaze their own trails. Interesting projects. Can have good amount of autonomy.

Cons

Can be staffed on individual contributor roles. Don’t really get to learn from working with other slalom team members.

Slalom2019-12-14