Slalom Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 12, 2018

Consultant

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is definitely the best I've experienced" (in 235 reviews)

• "I have a great people manager who cares about my success in this role & compensation" (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 31 reviews)

• "401k match has improved but could always be better" (in 57 reviews)

1. "Fantastic culture and sense of trust from clients"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Colleagues are friendly, relaxed, and competent. Great compensation. Highly focused on the local model. Traveling out of your city sounds like a very rare exception.

I'm sure some people might prefer the rigid hierarchy and numerous administrative processes related to getting feedback and performance reviews. I'm also sure that some people like environments where they can/will be able to pull rank and grind junior resources to churn out work. We don't do that here.

Cons

None that I can see yet from my perspective.

Advice to Management

I'm sure this management team already knows this given the many awards related to workplace satisfaction, but don't lose the culture as the business continues to grow.

"Highly Recommended"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Slalom has a fantastic inclusive culture which focuses on their greatest resource, their people. It is a culture that inspires their people to grow professionally, have a work/life balance, and be their authentic selves. There are several growth models from consultant to executive leadership, and the leaders are always willing to help individuals to achieve their professional and personal goals.

Cons

The recruiting process can take longer than general expectations, but this is because candidates interview with various functional areas and leaders of their respective market so that they can be properly placed into the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on how to keep the amazing culture as the company grows and expands internationally.

"Consulting Heaven"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Removes most things that suck about consulting. Awesome culture, awesome people.

Cons

Benifets are average, I expected them to be ahead of the game here.

"Slalom = staff aug + revolving door for college grads + forced culture"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The consulting industry has been maturing for 100+ years; however, as private clients focus on optimizing business processes and rapidly building IT infrastructures, this historical consulting model is struggling at the fundamental level. Specially, the Big4 and other large consulting firms have built models that are subject to inflating rates - especially in the government - where you see entry level people trying to bill out at a 3x multiple, e.g., $150/hr for a recent college grad. These legacy consulting firms must keep pumping their multiples to offset the poor financial decisions being made by their aging executives, lack of billability at the mid-level, and the need for innovation to keep up with newer markets, like data science.

This struggling model has paved the way for a new generation of consulting firms - enter Slalom - who are focused on providing lower rates, high output and adequate levels of technical skill. This forces a business model that is focused on identifying talent that is: (1) willing to work/bill extra hours, (2) billing at the lowest possible rate, and (3) up to date on the current technologies and industry tries. So, how does Slalom do this? It's simple: they predominantly hire college grads and manufacture a superficial culture that speaks directly to that demographic to consistently energize them to do work and/or take the necessary trainings to be minimally effective on projects. When you were interviewing with Slalom, did you notice how much time they spent showing off that wine fridge and keg while talking up the culture? And, did you primarily see desks of busy-looking junior staff sitting around?

Cons

The initial problem with this model is that it only really works when everyone is billing out 100% of their time and when the firm is willing to sign up for "any" type of work in exchange for adding staff to projects. This forces a flat organization within Slalom where there is some variance in rates and experience but minimal strategic work or opportunities for true career advancement. This is unlike the Big4 model which creates the opportunity for staff to grow at the expense of their aging business model. The side effect of this model at Slalom is that staff can oftentimes be aligned to projects that don't match their core skill set and, due to the flat nature of the organization, they will rarely have a manager/senior leader go to bat for them if they are unhappy with their project or drifting in their career.

The only real way to get promoted and build a career is to find an entirely new client for Slalom and build an account from the ground up, which would provide Slalom with a new, ongoing revenue stream associated to you. This is certainly not impossible - and several junior Slalomers have climbed that chain - but rest assured that it's a huge dice roll. When you're spending 8 hours/day with a different client, doing staff aug work and then being asked to participate in seeming endless culture-building exercises for Slalom (happy hours), it becomes very difficult to gel into a true consulting role and proactively find new clients/work.

Because Slalom is comprised of younger staff who have yet to develop the full range of management and consulting experience, most of Slalom's projects involve day-to-day services, like developing Tableau reports, testing, documenting requirements, taking meeting notes, etc. Did I mention testing? Further, projects typically only grow when clients proactively ask for additional staff vs. Slalom pitching new strategic services (like what you'd see with the Big4). Again, this is not a problem for Slalom because they are ok with staff leaving after a few years of their boring work because - in the next year - there will be new graduating college class with fresher technical skills who are ready to do technical work for 50-60 hours/week while only billing 40.

The biggest problem that I - and many other people - have with Slalom is that it's not honest to its employees about what the company actually is - at all stages of recruitment and employment. They have armies of recruiters and a large social media presence to show future employees how much "fun" it is to work for the company. They beg employees to submit surveys to get the firm on "Top 100" lists for consulting publications and to provide online feedback on social sites so that they can provide hard statistics to further recruit young talent. But the benefit of using college grads/younger staff in this capacity is that they're new to their careers so they really don't have any baseline to compare their Slalom experience to. So, they stay until they realize that having an in-office keg does not truly provide that career-ROI they are looking for. Welcome to Slalom: the post college Frat.

Advice to Management

Be honest with new employees about what the company is: a revolving door that basically extends the college experience while paying a reasonable salary for a few years. Having recruiting team inflate your corporate image through social media will only work for so much longer as newer generations are getting smarter at spotting fakers.

5. "Great company and culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A lot of clients
    - Shuffle board at the office
    - Social events and parties
    - Career growth opportunities
    - Free snacks and beverages in the office

Cons

- 401k match is 0 for first year and 3% after which is really low compared to others

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job with your employees and morale of the company. If possible, increase 401k match.

"Smart consultants paired with management that cares"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom is purpose-driven and it shows. Management is invested in the personal and professional development of consultants here. I’ve been given so many opportunities to learn and grow while working at Slalom, from informal brown bag lunches with consultants from practices other than my own, to actual technology training and conference opportunities that were paid for by the company.

Everyone from the market lead down to my people manager all seem to care about my well being. I know this isn’t the case in every market (see one of my negative reviews below) but in my market we are asked if a project is interesting to us before we are assigned. And we can say no! Demand for our services is such that consultants are allowed and encouraged to choose projects best suited to their interests/skill sets. And, of course, Slalom famously has its no unwanted travel policy, which is very real and much appreciated.

Its also worth noting that clients seem to have a very high opinion of Slalom, which in turn helps me take pride in our product and our company. In consulting, reputation is everything and Slalom’s is rock solid. I’m not saying folks don’t make human errors or projects never go off the rails because of course they do, but on the whole I believe Slalom produces smart, compassionate and purposeful consultants who do right by the client and genuinely look out for each other.

This is a good place to be.

Cons

No place is perfect, and neither is Slalom. My cons are twofold:

1) The market-centric design creates a fragmented organization and the services delivery can vary greatly between markets, which will confound national or global clients that interact with more than just one Slalom market. As a consultant, the market-driven approach is my friend: it’s what ensures that I can sleep in my own bed every night instead of a Hyatt Place every Monday through Thursday. But it undercuts the strengths that come with being a large organization. It’s hard to leverage what teams in LA or Boston have done, for example, because there is poor infrastructure set up to surface our work to the entire organization. The company seems to recognize this and lately we’ve been getting more communication about breakthrough projects and case studies from around the Slalom network, but I think more could and should be done to create a ‘one Slalom’ culture.

2) The firm’s rapid growth rate risks diluting its awesome workplace culture. They are recruiting so heavily from Accenture and Deloitte that I absolutely fear that we will become more like those forms and less like Slalom. I’ve seen practice leads from Accenture come in and run people like Accenture consultants which spells trouble to me, especially since Slalom prides itself at being different from its consulting peers. I generally suspect that growing larger will come at the cost of preserving the Slalom values that have propelled this firm to the forefront of professional services, but is like to be proven wrong.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on the core values and don’t trade them away for market growth!

"Salesforce Consultant"

Current Employee - Salesforce Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Salesforce Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work culture is very cool here. People are very helping. Organization is very flat. Leadership is very approachable and they are open to comments and feedback with no intentions of back firing. Feels like a family here (I mean it).

Cons

Leadership is putting in lot of effort to improve the standards in DC office but they should also define more clarity on individual's career progression project his tracjtory for next few yrs so that he/she can plan his career with Slalom.

Advice to Management

There are lot of positive energy and it gets scattered when the management is trying to do everything at once. Please try to channel those energy and form a roadmap for the company's growth. They are already doing that but I would to see that being continued.

"Slalom"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, You don't have to get on a plane and fly somewhere each week.

Cons

The pay is just OK. You may need to drive an hour and a half to a client each day though. Projects may turn into staff aug.

9. "Great Environment & Great Leadership"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company atmosphere is very positive and energetic. The leadership team truly empowers there employees by giving them the freedom to pursue there career goals.

Cons

I don't have any cons currently at this point.

10. "Welcoming culture and friendly people!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I have interacted with at Slalom is unbelievably friendly and welcoming. I am very excited about where I work, and can honestly say that I am in love with my future here.

Cons

I have a pretty hefty commute, which is over an hour. This is not necessarily Slalom's fault though, as I choose to live quite far into the suburbs.