Slalom Consulting Business Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 20, 2017

Business Consultant

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part (in 185 reviews)

• Great people who care about your success (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is luck of the draw to the particular project; the company does not presume to owe you any allowance of free time (in 25 reviews)

• Benefits are still lagging in comparison to other companies- 401K match etc (in 48 reviews)

1. "They are voted the best for a reason."

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I start...They care deeply about their people (not just some marketing b.s. that they throw out there, every day you can see how much they care about their people), their work space is beyond awesome (desks, couches, ping-pong tables, starbucks coffee machines, snacks), everyone cares about you, their onboarding process is concise but encompasses everything you will need to know (with a fantastic reference doc for where is all of this stuff is located), everyone smiles and says hi, there is no red-tape or politics, they hate the annoying corporate verbiage and instead say everything with normal words, and they don't care about when you work - they just care that you get your work done. Consider them to be the 'new model' for consulting because people like it and their clients do to.

Cons

That glass door doesn't have an 'extra good places to work' category for Slalom.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - it works and it works well.

Jan 23, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your glowing feedback. It's wonderful to hear that you are loving your colleagues, the culture and the whole Slalom experience. I'll pass your feedback along to leadership. If ... More

2. "Business Analyst"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst/Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst/Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Slalom Consulting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright colleagues, great learning opportunities, encourage new ideas and approach to problems. Respect work/ life balance.

Cons

Very flexible and no official process which at times can lead to inconsistencies across offices

Advice to Management

Expand portfolio of projects to other sectors beyond traditional IT or insurance to avoid over reliance and encourage development of talent.

"Great for Junior and Leaders, sucks for Mid senior to senior folks! arranged Recruiters will spy on you!"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture to promote junior talent (less than 5 years of industry experience), and gets quick promotions and keep morale high for these employees.

Leaders 13+ years of industry experience joining at Director or above level will have lot of fun as they get to fool around with junior and mid senior folks.

Cons

Anyone who joins at Consultant level for mid-senior (7 to 13 years of experience) the opportunities and work will suck unless you join director or above positions.

Compensation is peanuts and no travel is a gimmick, when you end up travelling tri state (NJ, NY , LI and CT), real long commutes with no night stay option. I would rather travel couple of days long distance every week like Deloitte and big 4 are offering than local long commute.

Company spies on you to understand if you are job hunting specially when you are in middle of your projects, these are market research companies or unknown recruiters /agencies and even some big 4 recruiters. so be careful if you get contacted by recruiters , this could very well be orchestrated interview by slalom itself!

Advice to Management

Please send the strict compliance notice to leaders in NY office to not conduct fake recruiter calls, this is wide spread malpractice here, your employees get slalom orchestrated recruitment calls from big 4 or unknown agencies just to estimate what they are looking for in future jobs. Companies produce leaders, there is nothing wrong if your employees are looking for future big job, dont fool with them!

Be realistic and honest with people who have great experience between 7 to 13 years! Ensure these folks joins at Director or above levels.

Dec 14, 2015 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I'm sorry your experience was not that great for you at Slalom. As to the orchestrated recruiting calls, I have never heard anything like that before and I intend to investigate ... More

5. "A Promising future"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Use of new technology - Wide array of technologies to experience and learn - Highly intelligent peers - Company relies on objective measurements to make important decisions - Company provides training (pluralsight), paid trips overseas and nice Christmas gifts - Flexible schedules - Reasonable pressure to accomplish goals - Fun people/culture - Reasonable ability to adapt to change

Cons

Some work is done in silos and not always collaborative. There are a myriad of challenges presented by our fast-paced growth. It might be time to refocus and double down on the longterm future plans.

Advice to Management

The company has grown rapidly, so some bumps along the way are to be expected - invest more in your employees, cross-train, encourage continuing education, and share the wealth with bonuses or profit-sharing

"After 2 years, more in love with it every day"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work-life balance is excellent. The management cares greatly about ensuring we work hours within reason. I have even been told to "not work late" when a manager once saw me sitting at my desk while he was heading home (it was 6pm).

- Management I can trust: I sincerely believe the New York management has my best interests in mind. The GM is thoughtful, smart, fun to be around, and a great motivator for the office. I have never worked in a place where the head of the office can both feel like a leader AND a friend. Meanwhile, the head of my group and my career counselor have me feeling like I could never find better support anywhere else.

- I have been allowed to forge my own path. If you want to create something here and if it works for Slalom's business, you've got a match! This company will enable you to grow into the consultant or business manager you want to be.

- Lots of company happy hours, dinners, opportunities to get involved in projects outside of work

- No travel (unless you want to)

- Office culture is extremely happy (overall- though there are a few sour grapes...but you can navigate around them and they usually don't seem to realize you're even doing it)

Cons

- PTO is insanely bad and not competitive.
    - 401k match is too low

Advice to Management

Slalom is a great company with a lot of opportunity. I am thankful to be in the New York office with such an incredible leadership team and such competent, friendly, and intelligent colleagues. National needs to get itself together and offer consider better PTO and 401k options, and learning opportunities should not just be electives, but required. Sometimes it's very hard to get learning opportunities in when also feeling like we need to be at the client. We will not grow without continued education. This should be a priority.

Oct 8, 2014 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share this specific and valuable feedback. It's wonderful that you find both the work and culture to be so fulfilling and that the management style is so conducive to ... More

"Great people, not vetting the managers for alignment to core values will be their downfall"

Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

* People - People tend to be outgoing, inclusive, and willing to help.
    * Work/Life Balance - The earned PTO and Sabbatical for Consultants allows for impromptu mental health days and planned vacations.
    * Access to Leadership - The owners of the company do respond to emails and will send unsolicited emails to consultants to congratulate them on articles or newsletters the consultant posted.
    * High Profile projects - Slalom is getting more and more access to high-profile, challenging, and interesting projects.

Cons

Managers that don't believe/follow core company values - Some upper management only consider their career and profit, not how much they are working their teams in order for them to be profitable.

Advice to Management

Vet your managers. Listen to the feedback of the team, especially of team members that have requested to leave that team. Make sure the people you are promoting are promoting the company's core values and not just focusing on their personal profit and upward movement.

Oct 16, 2014 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's great that you're finding the people, the work/life balance and the clients (as well as the access to leadership) to be positives of your ... More

"Lots of great clients, some exciting projects, but still beware the staff augmentation roles."

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and a wonderful and collaborative culture. Also nice to have the bench time pay as a fall back when you are in between projects.

Cons

It is really important to vet every project that comes your way to verify the scope of work as well as the ability to deliver the work. Still too many "butts in seats" roles camouflaged as "projects" lurking out there.

Advice to Management

Keep raising the bar and move the practice "up and to the right." Consider changing incentives of account people to align better to higher purpose work rather than hitting billable quotas.

"One of and probably the best company that I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistently rated as one of the top places to work. Each market in many ways is autonomous, but has support and input into the national strategy. I love the small company feel with mostly marquis clients and decent to great projects. Many great events and fun people to be around.

Cons

Every situation is different, but you may not get the support and mentoring that you were promised or expected. Don;t wait around for your CM to engage in this area. Having said that I believe that they are trying to improve in this area.

Advice to Management

Go the extra mile and provide slightly better benefits.

10. "Interesting Company"

Current Contractor - Business Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Business Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting company to work with. They have a couple of other consulting companies under their umbrella.

Cons

Took a while to find the right fit that matched my skills due to a career transition.

Advice to Management

Need more follow up

"Good to get you off the road, difficult to continue with strategic work to grow your career"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

- No travel model
    - Good culture
    - Happy hours, quarterly meetings and annual get away
    - Strong IT/Technical practices
    - Sabbatical after three years (and 3,000 billable hours ...they fail to highlight this point)

Cons

The following mainly speak to the Business Consulting practice in the Dallas market
    - Staff Augmentation type work
    - Weak Business Consulting practice
    - Little to no strategy work in the Dallas office. Majority of the work is Project Management and Business Analysis.
    - Recent hires are coming in with zero consulting experience
    - No practice specialty in the Dallas market to grow or build around
    - Little transparency when requested (evaluations, bonuses, staffing, etc)
    - Very few opportunities for career advancement

Advice to Management

- Stop with the cheesy mantras and reorgs. It happens every year and it never seems to fix the underlying problems. Getting naked to rowing the boats to being great ...the longer you have been with the firm the more frustrating all of this gets.
    - Dallas leadership needs to learn how to play nice with one another. For a small firm, there are a lot of politics and personalities that do not mesh well. It IS apparent to the consultants and there are some questionable hires up top as well.