Slalom Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part (in 185 reviews)

• Great people who care about your success (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is luck of the draw to the particular project; the company does not presume to owe you any allowance of free time (in 24 reviews)

• Although strategically the company is working to get away from staff aug roles, they were still prevalent in my practice area when I was there (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Three years in, this is definitely the best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation is fair. I've personally witnessed people receiving 10+% raises because leaders did a market evaluation and found that their folks were not making enough. I've always felt well-compensated.
    - Culture is outstanding. If you stay plugged-in to company events, you will feel like part of a family. I've gone through some personal issues recently, and the amount of people who have reached out offering support, hugs, dinner, beers has been hugely impactful to me. There is a family feel with this company that I have only found at one other place in my career. And as we grow, it's clear the leaders are concerned about fostering this culture and not letting it slip away.
    - Events are top-notch. Skedaddle, the yearly all-expense getaway weekend in the mountains, continues to be a huge draw for me. I love getting to kick back and spend the weekend with coworkers/friends. The Christmas party, summer picnic, Rockies opener tailgate, and other events are all well-done and fun.
    - The company is willing to be self-critical. The Widening the Circle training, for all of it's "diversity rah rah" has a great introspective point to it. We identified the "typical Slalomer": avid drinker, young, preppy, college-educated, white, among others. And it makes us think about the people we may be missing out on because we aren't stepping out of our typical circles to find folks that are just as good if not better, but don't look/act like a typical Slalomer. And I've seen results from the training: we offer more events where drinking isn't a central point--variety is great!
    - Leadership is open. I've witnessed very frank questions from coworkers to both office and national leadership, and have heard frank answers. The leadership at all levels (barring a few folks in the Denver office) is very approachable, personable, and honest. When things go wrong, they own it. When things don't pan out, they analyze why not and tell us. We have insight into company financials and plans on both year and multi-year forecasts.
    - Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part. I've seen practice directors take additional time off after having children. I've had coworkers who moved to a 4-day week to support their personal life needs. All of these changes are supported wherever possible. Consultants have the right to say "no" to a project that won't fit their desired work/life balance.

Cons

- Benefits, particularly 401k match, could use some work. The company has made strides in the benefits area, but they are still not at the level I expect from a world-class company.
    - The ITP process (Intent to Pursue--the promotion process) is not fun for most people that endure it. I've seen two quality coworkers get stuck in ITP with objectives met but no appetite for their promotion. We lost both of them to other companies because they were fed up with not having the promotion occur. ITP is different for different people and roles, as well. Some people it seems don't even go through it, while for others it takes a year. I haven't talked to a single person who has gone through ITP that thought it was valuable.
    - If you aren't willing to put in the time to see and be seen at outside events, your mobility is limited. I don't necessarily see this as a con, but I'm putting it out there for those who expect quality work to be the sole promotion force. Slalom still has a solid group of Consultants who just want to do the work and go home, and that is supported and not in any way deterred.

Advice to Management

For Denver: Keep up the good work. We've got a good family going. Leadership is accessible and personable. Our Operations Manager is a winner--don't let her leave, ever! Let's grow smart and do whatever it takes to keep the culture!
    For National: Beef up the benefits more! 401k match needs to grow! Love the openness about future plans for the company. Love the willingness to answer tough questions. Keep us excited for the future!

Feb 12, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed reflections on working at Slalom Denver. It's wonderful to hear that, by and large, you feel that the culture is "outstanding," the leadership is great and ... More

"Client Service Lead"

Current Employee - Client Service Leader in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Client Service Leader in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Interesting and cutting-edge work
    - Amazing clients both large and small
    - Reasonable expectations on work/life balance
    -Flexibility to build your business how you want it

Cons

- Some inconsistency across offices (which is natural)

Advice to Management

Keep on disrupting consulting with this model and your vision

3. "Same talent as larger firms, with a better culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Competitive compensation
    - Local model. Most consultants don't travel out of the area.
    - More flexible, and less red tape than larger firms
    - Great culture
    - Accessible leadership

Cons

- Less PTO (18 days+holiday) than competitors
    - It can be hard to find what you're looking for because the company is so decentralized

Advice to Management

- Continue making the effort to interact with new employees
    - Continue to improve internal applications such as time reporting, help desk, etc
    - Increase PTO and benefits to be in line with competitors

Jun 20, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for posting about your experience working at Slalom thus far. It’s wonderful to hear that the Slalom model and culture are working so well for you. Your advice to leadership to continue making ... More

4. "A team of learners"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You work with the best people, who are learners through and through. No major egos or typical consulting ladder mentality
    - Great client work, chase exciting projects
    -Great culture, tight team and family friendly
    -Amazing office space

Cons

- Early markets struggle with identity, sometimes this can make it tougher for consultants to buy in to the bigger Slalom picture.

Jun 16, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s great that you are loving your team, the work and the culture of Slalom so much. Your feedback regarding new markets struggling with their identities will be ... More

5. "For consulting, it's not the worst."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of US locations, but nothing in the way of furthering your career.

Cons

Everyone, Product managers, people managers, CEOs are focused almost 99% on increasing profits, not making good software.

They claim there is a good work life balance. And maybe for consulting, this is true. But definitely not for the rest of the world.

Advice to Management

Contribute to an open source project; Give your engineers time to influence the process.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Smart People
    Ability to be authentic
    Strong and healthy culture of organization

Cons

Salary raises / bonuses based on office performance not based on practice area
    On client site for 90% of time - need to be proactive to develop internal relationships
    What communicated during interview process not always aligned with reality

Advice to Management

More women should be in senior leadership roles

Jun 26, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Agree that more women need to be added to senior leadership roles. I would be happy to chat with you about any of your experiences especially the inconsistencies you might have ... More

"Strategy & Operations"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with who are excited and responsible, but leadership seems to lack a clear vision of how to proceed

Cons

Figuring out how to be a bigger company, task driven/rewarded results, inexperienced leadership team which leads to confusion and frustration

Advice to Management

Too many decision makers, need to streamline processes to expedite. Need more training/onboarding, or reference documents for people to go back to and review and needs to set standards for consulting teams to gauge performance. Seems like a lot of people don't know what the correct process is.

Jun 26, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. If you would like to share more about the specifics you saw in the Dallas office, please email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to talk. Another way to do this ... More

"Best and Happiest Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Amazing culture. Some companies just say they have a good culture, but Slalom lives it. I moved to Denver from another major city and Slalom has quickly become my family, both at work and outside of work
    2) The Work - Slalom does really meaningful work and it's refreshing to be part of a company that really wants to change Consulting game.
    3) The Events - From participation in the Big Gay 5K, to our annual getaway "Skedaddle" to our monthly State of the Office Happy Hours. They are great opportunities to catch up with folks you may not see all the time because you're on different clients.
    4) The People. I consider some of the folks at Slalom to be some of my best friends. There's usually this clear delineation between "work friends" and "not work friends", but at Slalom, that doesn't exist.
    5) The GM - When I first started, he said "I want Slalom to be the most impactful place you've ever worked". Two years later, he's still saying that, which is great to see. He inspires us to do our best work.
    6) Executives - It's not often that you get to interact with C-Level folks at your work. We routinely see our CEO and President and GM of North America at our events. They engage with everyone, they remember your names, and they genuinely want your feedback and want to know how you're doing.

Cons

1) 401k needs improvement. Matching is not at industry standard.
    2) Intent to Pursue - This is our promotion process. It's a bit of a free for all and needs improvement / standardization of processes

Advice to Management

As we grow, I believe it's important to continue to focus on the people. We do a great job of that, but I would like to see more progress on standardizing processes such as ITP - It's disheartening to go through a process like this and not know what you're supposed to do or how you're supposed to go about it.

Aside from that...let's keep it going. This is a fantastic place to work

May 26, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for providing some feedback on your experience working at Slalom Denver. It's so great that you feel connected to colleagues, supported by leadership, that you're enjoying the work ... More

"Technology Enablement - Don't bother"

Former Employee - Solutions Principal in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Principal in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good logos - some cool clients nothing more to add

Cons

Bad management, there is no leadership, cronyism and sucking valued over battle field experience

Advice to Management

Look at the churn TE has in SF and SV and decide why this happens? Except 1 PAD I don't see anybody who is fit to be there

Jun 26, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. If you are willing to share what you experienced, please email me to set up a time to chat. Alternatively, If there's more you'd like to share anonymously, please consider doing ... More

"High Churn"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation package and great sales team. Great culture from corporate office and original employees. Nice offices and holiday parties.

Cons

Agressive management that tends to point fingers at consultants when the customer is being difficult. Poor training. Poor partnerships with larger companies.

Advice to Management

Hire more females and improve the post sales follow ups with clients. Make sure management is experienced with consulting and knows how to train employees.

May 26, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Sorry to hear this was your experience at Slalom and I would love to hear more about what you saw. Simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to connect ... More