Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part (in 193 reviews)

• Great culture allows for many avenues to get involved (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is luck of the draw to the particular project; the company does not presume to owe you any allowance of free time (in 25 reviews)

• Although strategically the company is working to get away from staff aug roles, they were still prevalent in my practice area when I was there (in 46 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Three years in, this is definitely the best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation is fair. I've personally witnessed people receiving 10+% raises because leaders did a market evaluation and found that their folks were not making enough. I've always felt well-compensated.
    - Culture is outstanding. If you stay plugged-in to company events, you will feel like part of a family. I've gone through some personal issues recently, and the amount of people who have reached out offering support, hugs, dinner, beers has been hugely impactful to me. There is a family feel with this company that I have only found at one other place in my career. And as we grow, it's clear the leaders are concerned about fostering this culture and not letting it slip away.
    - Events are top-notch. Skedaddle, the yearly all-expense getaway weekend in the mountains, continues to be a huge draw for me. I love getting to kick back and spend the weekend with coworkers/friends. The Christmas party, summer picnic, Rockies opener tailgate, and other events are all well-done and fun.
    - The company is willing to be self-critical. The Widening the Circle training, for all of it's "diversity rah rah" has a great introspective point to it. We identified the "typical Slalomer": avid drinker, young, preppy, college-educated, white, among others. And it makes us think about the people we may be missing out on because we aren't stepping out of our typical circles to find folks that are just as good if not better, but don't look/act like a typical Slalomer. And I've seen results from the training: we offer more events where drinking isn't a central point--variety is great!
    - Leadership is open. I've witnessed very frank questions from coworkers to both office and national leadership, and have heard frank answers. The leadership at all levels (barring a few folks in the Denver office) is very approachable, personable, and honest. When things go wrong, they own it. When things don't pan out, they analyze why not and tell us. We have insight into company financials and plans on both year and multi-year forecasts.
    - Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part. I've seen practice directors take additional time off after having children. I've had coworkers who moved to a 4-day week to support their personal life needs. All of these changes are supported wherever possible. Consultants have the right to say "no" to a project that won't fit their desired work/life balance.

Cons

- Benefits, particularly 401k match, could use some work. The company has made strides in the benefits area, but they are still not at the level I expect from a world-class company.
    - The ITP process (Intent to Pursue--the promotion process) is not fun for most people that endure it. I've seen two quality coworkers get stuck in ITP with objectives met but no appetite for their promotion. We lost both of them to other companies because they were fed up with not having the promotion occur. ITP is different for different people and roles, as well. Some people it seems don't even go through it, while for others it takes a year. I haven't talked to a single person who has gone through ITP that thought it was valuable.
    - If you aren't willing to put in the time to see and be seen at outside events, your mobility is limited. I don't necessarily see this as a con, but I'm putting it out there for those who expect quality work to be the sole promotion force. Slalom still has a solid group of Consultants who just want to do the work and go home, and that is supported and not in any way deterred.

Advice to Management

For Denver: Keep up the good work. We've got a good family going. Leadership is accessible and personable. Our Operations Manager is a winner--don't let her leave, ever! Let's grow smart and do whatever it takes to keep the culture!
    For National: Beef up the benefits more! 401k match needs to grow! Love the openness about future plans for the company. Love the willingness to answer tough questions. Keep us excited for the future!

Feb 12, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed reflections on working at Slalom Denver. It's wonderful to hear that, by and large, you feel that the culture is "outstanding," the leadership is great and... More

"Good place to work, if you like being a consultant"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, smart co-workers, ability to move around, and the company helps you find your next bit of work.

Cons

The variable-pay model is terrible. Not only do you only earn about 50% of your pay while on the bench (which, you have no control over how long you're on the bench), you earn less vacation time than salary employees.

Advice to Management

Do away with the variable-pay model, or make it better. One suggestion would be salary up to 40 hours, and then incorporate the variable component, to encourage ALL consultants to put in additional time when needed. Sync up the vacation policies too.

Aug 18, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for providing some reflections on your time with Slalom thus far. It's good to hear that you are enjoying your coworkers, the benefits, and the overall model. Thanks also for your advice and... More

3. "Strong culture and sense of community"

Current Employee - Organizational Effectiveness Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Organizational Effectiveness Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are lovely, culture is strong, fantastic work life balance. Particularly favourable for those who are new parents or have other commitments that require little to no travel and remote working.

Cons

Almost borders on "cult" like at times; can be a little isolating. Management is a little "bro"-y, and very few senior female leaders.

Aug 14, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It's great that you are enjoying the culture, your colleagues and the balance between work and life. Your feedback regarding the way you sometimes experience the culture at... More

4. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture
    Challenging and meaningful project work
    Excellent work/life balance
    Fair and caring management team

Cons

Packed office on Friday - get there early!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - this is a special place to be.

Aug 14, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience of Slalom Boston. It’s awesome to hear that you are enjoying the work and culture of Slalom as well as your management team. Your feedback to both "keep doing what... More

5. "Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is outstanding - senior leadership definitely lives by our core values and understands that Slalom goes as our people go and therefore are always willing to invest in us!

Cons

Career progression is a little too ambiguous.

Aug 14, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for your review. It's great that your leadership is inspiring and investing in you and that you feel that the culture is outstanding. Your feedback regarding the ambiguity of career... More

6. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, welcoming & genuinely positive culture

Cons

I have not encountered any thus far

Aug 12, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for posting a review. It's great to hear that our culture is welcoming and positive. If there's more that you'd like to share anonymously at any time, please consider doing so via this survey... More

7. "Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Slalom just gets it. They truly want people to love their life and job and it results in an amazing culture and phenomenal solutions for our clients.

Cons

Boston is cold in the winter.

Aug 14, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s wonderful that you feel so fulfilled by your work and the Slalom Boston culture. If you’d like to share more feedback at any time, please consider doing so via... More

8. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very processional. I find the projects I am assigned to be interesting, and I feel like I have a say in what I work on. The company really invests in their employees.

Cons

The salary at this company could be a little bit higher. Also, the onboarding process was a little disorganized.

Advice to Management

This is a great company to work for. I am really enjoying the experience I am gaining here. Keep up the great work!

Aug 14, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you find the work engaging and that you feel as though you are being invested in. Your advice to tighten up the onboarding process and to 'keep... More

9. "Amazing company, filled with incredibly talented people who care about you professionally and personally"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom is by far the best place I have ever worked. Many people ask me if all of the things they hear and read about Slalom being a great company are true. I can honestly say that they are and then some. Slalom is the real deal. It is a company that truly cares about its employees, is passionate about its work, and wants to make the world a better place.

- Amazing co-workers (friendly, supportive, and genuinely happy)
    - Impactful work (affecting real business outcomes for clients and the community)
    - Supportive Culture (everyone wants each other to succeed)
    - Open Culture (no office politics. Open, honest, and sincere conversations)
    - Great Work Life Balance (truly want employees to have a balanced, healthy life so that they can bring their best selves to client projects)
    - Leaders who care (For example, getting a call from the general manager of the Denver market to tell me that I am doing a good job, having my consulting manager check in on me regularly and make sure that the client engagement I am on is compatible with my life situation)
    - Awesome office events to promote building relationships and memories with co-workers
    - Ability to work in the local market and develop real, lasting relationships with clients

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to focus on nurturing a caring, inclusive culture as the headcount grows.

Aug 12, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed reflections on working at Slalom Denver. It's wonderful to hear that the culture is both supportive and honest and that your coworkers are amazing. It... More

10. "Wonderful company"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, work-life balance, professional development budget for every consultant.

Cons

You my be a lead dev on one project and a QA on another.

Aug 14, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It’s great that you feel that you are well compensated and that you are being invested in. Your feedback regarding the variability of roles will be shared with leadership... More