Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2019
1,153 reviews

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance is the best I have experienced" (in 254 reviews)

• "I have a great people manager who cares about my success in this role & compensation" (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 31 reviews)

• "401k match has improved but could always be better" (in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best experience of my career"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Leadership supports consultants and project teams
    - Awesome culture. Everyone I've worked with starts and ends the day with greetings.
    - Office perks. There are reoccurring Friday afternoon office social events, other holiday events, weekly brown bag meetings for learning.
    - Leadership has delivered on improving benefits like the 401k matching (as of now, 50% of the first 6% is matched)
    - Leadership and colleagues care about each other and the clients we serve
    - Opportunities and leadership support/visibility to work on innovative technologies through hackathons and sometimes client work.

Cons

- Unclear path for career progression at times
    - Clients and projects can be less than ideal at times
    - Benefits are average

Advice to Management

While it is a goal to grow rapidly, keep in mind the aspects of Slalom that really differentiates it from other consulting organizations. In my opinion these include making sure we sell the right types of projects to inspire and motivate our consultants; and maintaining our culture.

Slalom Response

Apr 2, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. It's wonderful to hear that you feel supported by your local leadership, feel connected to your colleagues, and feel as though you have access to innovative technologies... More

2. "Inclusive, Diverse and Dynamic Workplace"

Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is such a pleasure to work around so many intelligent, hardworking people who still maintain a focus on being inclusive and friendly. In my time at the company I have experienced a number of helpful trainings and encountered so many people who are willing to help when you ask. Great office location as well. The leaders work very hard to make sure that the work we do is interesting and fulfilling to their teams as well.

Cons

Not many. The company pays a lot of attention to the individual and where they want to work and what they want to learn.

Advice to Management

Feedback, feedback, feedback. As a leader it can be easy to forget that feeling of just wanted more time with your manager to learn and develop.

3. "Love working here!!!"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance! The local model supports having a rich personal life. My manager really cares about my growth and what I’m interested in working on. They check in often to make sure our current project is working for me and that I’m happy. It’s safe for me to speak up if I’m not happy because my manager works with me as my advocate to support me and my career goals. Together we are able to find solutions either on my current project or an exit strategy to transition to a better fitting project.

Cons

It’s a minor con, but because we are growing, when we hire new folks, often times they are sent to the client site in the first or second day on the job. It can be challenging for them to get a feel for our culture and company if they aren’t at least spending some time at our HQ in the beginning. Of course other Slalom folks at the clients site spend lots of time with new folks helping them get their bearings but I’ve heard many new folks say they feel more like they work for the client in the beginning before they have a chance to attend our trainings and quarterlies. This is an area of improvement for us and totally achievable.

4. "Journey Has Been Incredible to Be Part Of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Frequent communication about goals and vision for our office
    - Continuous and progressive movement toward integrated team-based work
    - Constant influx of new clients alongside many familiar names
    - Great new office space
    - Awesome people; friendly; smiling; smart
    - High-growth business (lots of opportunities to grow and advance)

Cons

- Understanding training and development opportunities is not clear
    - Career progression and advancement could be more clear

Advice to Management

Having been here a while, it has really been awesome to observe the growth and changes in the company over the past five years. Continue to drive for open, transparent communication and growth. All good things come from this!

5. "Slalom Build"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Slalom was a great place to start my career, you are surrounded my amazing and smart people. Went from an intern to full time to Senior Engineer. Biggest strength is the culture and the inclusiveness. There is always something going on.

Cons

Pay is below average for tech in Seattle

Advice to Management

Keep the culture amazing.

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome colleagues, Transparent Management, Great culture

Cons

Commute can be an issue

"Grateful I made the move to Slalom!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great recruiting team that moved the process along quickly given that I had another offer
    - Nicest group of people you'll ever work with
    - Reasonable hours
    - Intelligent, hardworking colleagues
    - Fun, young culture
    - Interesting projects
    - Leadership asks for and listens to feedback (e.g., working on making the benefits better - maternity leave just increased to four months and paternity to three weeks)

Cons

- 7 holidays
    - They say it's an “opt-in” culture but your involvement internally does affect your bonus, which is challenging for someone who's reserved
    - Slalom doesn't reimburse you for mileage or parking and parking at some clients costs $25 per day. I wish I had fully realized that when I negotiated my offer - it adds up
    - Takes a year to start receiving the company 401(k) match

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You care about your employees and you listen to their feedback. There has been a lot of talk about the changes you've made to the benefits. Employees recognize the changes and appreciate them.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were amazing to work with. They were very talented and a joy to be with.

Cons

Management was unresponsive and out of touch with the talent they had. Some of the worst people I ever worked for.

9. "Good company, culture and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place, culture and people. Compensation is at market levels, benefits and work opportunities could be better. Overall a good place to work at.

Cons

Benefits are getting better every year, more bigger project work is happening - they could do better on both fronts.

10. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, beyond what I thought existed. People are at the center of everything that gets done and it's a highly aligned leadership team. Great work for consultants and lots of opportunity.

Cons

None so far! From interview to 6 months in they delivered on every promise that was made.

Advice to Management

Keep it up... love the brand and it lives up to the promise.