Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part (in 207 reviews)

• Great people who care about your success (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • But Slalom doesn't joke around about work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Some room to improve 401K match (in 53 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Three years in, this is definitely the best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation is fair. I've personally witnessed people receiving 10+% raises because leaders did a market evaluation and found that their folks were not making enough. I've always felt well-compensated.
    - Culture is outstanding. If you stay plugged-in to company events, you will feel like part of a family. I've gone through some personal issues recently, and the amount of people who have reached out offering support, hugs, dinner, beers has been hugely impactful to me. There is a family feel with this company that I have only found at one other place in my career. And as we grow, it's clear the leaders are concerned about fostering this culture and not letting it slip away.
    - Events are top-notch. Skedaddle, the yearly all-expense getaway weekend in the mountains, continues to be a huge draw for me. I love getting to kick back and spend the weekend with coworkers/friends. The Christmas party, summer picnic, Rockies opener tailgate, and other events are all well-done and fun.
    - The company is willing to be self-critical. The Widening the Circle training, for all of it's "diversity rah rah" has a great introspective point to it. We identified the "typical Slalomer": avid drinker, young, preppy, college-educated, white, among others. And it makes us think about the people we may be missing out on because we aren't stepping out of our typical circles to find folks that are just as good if not better, but don't look/act like a typical Slalomer. And I've seen results from the training: we offer more events where drinking isn't a central point--variety is great!
    - Leadership is open. I've witnessed very frank questions from coworkers to both office and national leadership, and have heard frank answers. The leadership at all levels (barring a few folks in the Denver office) is very approachable, personable, and honest. When things go wrong, they own it. When things don't pan out, they analyze why not and tell us. We have insight into company financials and plans on both year and multi-year forecasts.
    - Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part. I've seen practice directors take additional time off after having children. I've had coworkers who moved to a 4-day week to support their personal life needs. All of these changes are supported wherever possible. Consultants have the right to say "no" to a project that won't fit their desired work/life balance.

Cons

- Benefits, particularly 401k match, could use some work. The company has made strides in the benefits area, but they are still not at the level I expect from a world-class company.
    - The ITP process (Intent to Pursue--the promotion process) is not fun for most people that endure it. I've seen two quality coworkers get stuck in ITP with objectives met but no appetite for their promotion. We lost both of them to other companies because they were fed up with not having the promotion occur. ITP is different for different people and roles, as well. Some people it seems don't even go through it, while for others it takes a year. I haven't talked to a single person who has gone through ITP that thought it was valuable.
    - If you aren't willing to put in the time to see and be seen at outside events, your mobility is limited. I don't necessarily see this as a con, but I'm putting it out there for those who expect quality work to be the sole promotion force. Slalom still has a solid group of Consultants who just want to do the work and go home, and that is supported and not in any way deterred.

Advice to Management

For Denver: Keep up the good work. We've got a good family going. Leadership is accessible and personable. Our Operations Manager is a winner--don't let her leave, ever! Let's grow smart and do whatever it takes to keep the culture!
    For National: Beef up the benefits more! 401k match needs to grow! Love the openness about future plans for the company. Love the willingness to answer tough questions. Keep us excited for the future!

Feb 12, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed reflections on working at Slalom Denver. It's wonderful to hear that, by and large, you feel that the culture is "outstanding," the leadership is... More

2. "Former Big 4 Consultant - Welcome to the good life"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While you still feel the competitive spirit of working with smart, capable people, the constant pressure to outperform peers and "move up" is nowhere near the levels of the traditional consulting model.

The flat organization structure allows people of different backgrounds and experience levels to truly develop and learn through stretch roles instead of being shoe-horned into roles based on title or service line.

Slalom's org structure and ATL leadership allow you to carve your own path. While the responsibility is on you to decide how you buy into the culture, learn and develop, and ultimately move up in the organization, that freedom allows you to feel a sense of ownership in your career, rather than simply being told what to do to move up to the next rung.

People are happy at work. In my experience, teams at Slalom are built on trust, which allows them to flex to fit team members' needs and make progress rather than teammates constantly feeling the need to talk about how "busy" they are. This leads to better work/life balance and greater day-to-day enjoyment of the work.

Cons

Processes like performance management and staffing are constantly changing, which leads to a lack of buy in of the new processes.

Advice to Management

Continue to be flexible and listen to the growing organization. Changing culture is not a bad thing.

3. "Love your future"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Value their employees and take care of their interests while assigning projects. Great focus on diversity and inclusion. Good culture of collaboration and communal learning. There is always some fun activity happening in office.

Cons

Scope to improve employee benefits and salary

Dec 8, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback here. It’s great that you feel valued and that you are enjoying the fun activities in the office, the culture of collaboration, and the focus on diversity and... More

4. "It is refreshing to know companies like this still exist..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom values their employees, I mean REALLY values them. This year I opened a Holiday Card and was confused who the family was... then realized it was our CEO's family! They make their decisions based on their people, not the bottom line.

Their culture can't be matched. Monthly all-hands meetings and quarterly meetings are less of a meeting and more of a way to gather everyone that is out in the field and network. If you have an idea on how the organization can change it is welcomed with open ears rather than being shut down because "we've always done it this way".

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and the amazing culture!

Dec 8, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your review. It's wonderful to hear that you feel so connected to the culture and that you feel that your feedback is valued. If you have any additional feedback that you'd like... More

5. "Progressive, Fun & People first culture"

Current Employee - Digital & Agile Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Digital & Agile Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can feel that they care about their people
    Always inclusive in developing and sharing company strategies
    Progressive, forward thinking
    Great L&D budget with lots of internal training available
    Fun with lots of events and happy hours
    Family friendly with great work/life balance

Cons

Gender gap is still significant in many parts of the company.

Advice to Management

Close the gender gaps

Dec 8, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It’s wonderful that you feel supported and included in the development of company strategies and great that you enjoy the events, the work/life balance and the Learning and... More

6. "Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

I have never worked for a company that cared as much about its employees as Slalom. I have been with Slalom for a few months, and am loving my work life more every day. I feel challenged to grow in my role and most importantly, I feel supported and appreciated by my colleagues.

Cons

401K matching has room for improvement.

Dec 8, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. It’s wonderful that you feel genuinely cared about, challenged, appreciated and supported. Your advice to improve the 401k match will be shared with leadership. If you’d... More

"Solid place to grow; some maturity curve issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart colleagues who are hardworking
    Leaders' hearts are generally in the right place
    Good clients
    Opportunity to learn and grow if you raise your hand and advocate for yourself

Cons

Lots of 'rah rah' culture that is mostly dominated by white, male culture
    Subpar benefits
    Middle management has been outpaced by the growth of the business; some 'failing up' of leadership
    Not much clarity of career growth - especially for internal employees

Advice to Management

Make changes to the company according to the employee feedback you're received - especially from internal employees.

8. "Talent Acquisition Manager"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

Amazing Core Values - the company truly practice.

Cons

Still scaling to size given the fast growth.

Dec 1, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. It's great that you feel that our Core Values are an authentic element of Slalom's culture. If you’d like to share more feedback anonymously (and at any time), please... More

9. "One of the finer management/technology/business consulting firms"

Former Employee - Practice Area Lead in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Practice Area Lead in Houston, TX

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Slalom's culture is quintessentially the defining quality which makes Slalom the incredible consulting firm it is. The culture is rooted on core disciplines which the executive leaders hold true and live every day. It is based on putting consultants first and requires a level of clarity and openness. Th firm is private and owned by employees. As such it allows for a level of close knit bond which allows for decision making and process improvement not readily available in other larger consulting firms. The people employed are highly skilled and fairly good at what they do.

Cons

It is a consulting firm. Requires one to be innovative with projects, clients and deliverables. Requires consultants to be self-starters and lead independently. Slalom also grows fast and adds several new consultants to the ranks every month. As such change is constant and sometimes it can be overwhelming. This often comes across as leaders who aren't plugged in, off-ish, and not in the pulse of things or know. Being consulting, each market sets the trend of success. So some markets are better than others. Some struggle with talent and some struggle with projects. Attrition can seem high, but percentage wise it is really low when measured with similar size firms. Pay is good, but can be better. Benefits are satisfactory and has room for improvement. Leaders are not all equal. Some are great and awesome, while some lack and not all that polished. Ultimately this is a consulting firm, know what Slalom brings as value is important to know. Consulting in your DNA is almost a requirement. Not for the inexperienced. Good consultants get great at Slalom, the mediocre fall behind.

Advice to Management

To remain competitive and secure top talent, Slalom needs to pay more and be more compensation focused. Competition in this space has Slalom beat. The benefits package for health care and 401k is lagging behind significantly. Competition is taking away talent squarely but focusing on the comp/benefit packages. My ask of management is to open up the profit to pay back into employees by improving comp and benefit. Being cash heavy is nice, but shouldn't be at the expense of employees who are great but leave due to salary and benefits. Management also needs to weed out some 'unfriendly' leaders in some markets. Either train them well and make them come to the realization they work at Slalom or help them find their next gig and exit. No one quits Slalom. They quit their leaders, their clients, their projects or their peers. So focus on that. Good consultants leave Slalom when they recognize change is not going to happen. Poor consultants stick around knowing change will not happen.

"Stop hiring leaders from Accenture predominantly"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great firm, entrepreneurial culture and amazing people.

Cons

The only real con from my perspective, that has many follow on consequences, is the lack of diversity among leadership. I’m talking about a specific here. Why are 95% plus leaders all ex-Accenture? Particularly at the MD and GM level. You can’t expect someone who’s spent 20+ years at Accenture not to carry over that experience, ingrained traits and perceptions into Slalom. Why aren’t we hiring thought leaders from agencies, industry, other-non Accenture/Big 4 firms into our senior leadership mix?

Advice to Management

Be more creative and honest when you think about diversity.