Slalom Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Slalom US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part (in 207 reviews)

• Great people who care about your success (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • But Slalom doesn't joke around about work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Some room to improve 401K match (in 53 reviews)

1. "Keeps you challenged everyday, felt supported and recognized for great work ... Inspired to go to work everyday ..."

Current Employee - Technology Solutions in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Solutions in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Working with talented people, hourly compensation which provides ability to earn more when possible, personal touch of management

Cons

Long drives which can also be used for listening to audios, etc ... you just need to be creative

Advice to Management

Keep it up! And please don't lose the personal touch to the team / employees and in your management style

"A consulting firm that has finally got it right"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Slalom has awesome people. Their are not only great consultants, but they are all people I would genuinely consider friends outside of the workplace. Local work is a huge plus and allows everyone an opportunity to have a life after work. The flat structure also makes the Sr. Leadership very accessible - very different from the Big 4.

Cons

We're small and we can't offer every technology under the sun like larger firms. So if you're an SAP guru, you might not have the opportunity to work on an SAP project every time. That said, the consultants are usually strong enough to tackle whatever is thrown at them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every office is growing. We're opening offices in new cities and expanding our offerings in existing offices. Great time to be a consultant at Slalom.

3. "It is a much better place than competing technology consulting firms!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

My coworkers are competent, well spoken and simply "get it". Not only do you not have to clean up other peoples messes on projects, you get to choose which projects and opportunities you personally want to pursue.

Cons

It's just as much driving as other firms, but that's no surprise given our location in Southern California.

Advice to Management

Keep growing our company and our presence locally!

4. "Employee friendly company focused on the customer and creative delivery"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Local model, focused delivery, management support, great social atmosphere, like minded people to work with.

Cons

Excessive overhead management compensation takes from employee benefits and salary.

Advice to Management

Allow consultants to incur more expenses, including client lunches, trips, get together and the like. reward employees more, especially with intrinsic cultural rewards and small cash "thank you" hand outs as these are easier for our personality types to handle over sincere appreciation which is not possible from our kind of folks. Once the company makes a certain percentage over the employee's compensation, reward the excessive bill rate with excessive bonus beyond the stated HR policy.

"Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things that had begun to wear on me over time: overwhelming bureaucracy and controls, little to no input on my own staffing, political maneuvering, and increasingly less interesting work. I was looking for a place where I could move at my own pace, have the opportunity to do the kind of work I wanted to do (as opposed to what the firm wanted me to do), return to a more merit-based rewards system, have more of a say in my client engagements, have the ability to impact part of the business, and be able to work in a truly consultative model.

Slalom Consulting has provided all of this and more. Leadership encourages people to find their strengths, take risks and go after opportunities that you would not be able to pursue in larger, more controlled firms. I think that Slalom Consulting is a best-fit for consulting professionals who have figured out what they really want out of a job AND what they want out of a personal life. I have found that it is possible to enjoy both in equal measures.

Summary Pros:
     - Flexible Career Model
     - Great Social Events
     - Ability to Work with Clients in Your Local Community
     - No Forced Alignment to Industry Verticals

Cons

Internally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger; I lost some time coming from Accenture. I understand that the model is different and I no longer get on a plane every week, but still a bit more PTO would go a long way.

Summary Cons:
     - PTO is Average
     - 401k Match is Average
     - Training Budgets are Average

Advice to Management

I think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way:
     - Add a week of PTO to compensate for sick days / be more competititve in the market
     - Eliminate the complexity around the current training model; just pay for time and/or increase training budget
     - Maybe boost benefits a tiny bit

6. "Excellent consulting firm alternative to the big four"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

The culture and the events set this company apart from the rest. The talent level at this company is very high and I hope it stays that way with all the growth.

Cons

Less PTO then other companies

Advice to Management

Increase PTO and maintain high talent levels with hires but otherwise doing a great job.

7. "Brilliant place to work! Best career decision I ever made"

Current Employee - Client Service Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Service Lead in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Non-competitive culture, great leadership, and fun fun fun.

Cons

Move towards staffing more project work

Advice to Management

promote more within

8. "Good, Flexible, Friendly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

flexibility
    variety of assignments
    friendly peers and management

Cons

lack of clarity of processes for staffing, promotions
    requires a lot of networking, but not unusual

"Great People, Providing Real Value in a local market!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Although I have only been at Slalom a short time, I have found the strongest pros for working there to be the following:
    1. THE PEOPLE - Our culture is unlike any other consulting firm. Though most individuals come from other consulting firms, we are the best of the best and our personalities and culture are defined by this! We strive to constantly improve ourselves and our firm.
    2. LOCAL MARKET - Our ability to provide value locally is key, especially for individuals who like a balanced life and want to still continue to do great work!
    3. FLAT ORG STRUCTURE - Our organization structure is fairly flat so ability to have an impact internally is easily accessible.
    4. GREAT PAY! - always a bonus to be rewarded for great work!

Cons

As it is still a growing organization, more framework around career development is currently in progress to help consultants have a model for career development. This is one area which Slalom currently is struggling with - as many organizations have more framework developed, I can see Slalom getting there in the near term.

The benefits could also be a bit better.

Advice to Management

Redefine our career development framework to be more structured and review our benefits. Though are pay is great, the 401k matching and medical plans can be better.

"Best team I have ever worked, leadership that cares about me, awesome clients, and great projects!"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Incredible Team that works and wins together
    Engaged Leadership that cares
    Awesome Clients who value our work
    Projects focuses on our client's most strategic initiatives
    Focused go to market strategy - EPIC
    Efforts to gauge and increase Employee Engagement
    Well communicated growth strategy
    Awesome knowledge sharing

Cons

Autonomy to pursue your interests can be challenging
    Self directed career development requires extra focus