Slalom Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated June 8, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is modeled by leadership for the most part (in 190 reviews)

• Great culture allows for many avenues to get involved (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is luck of the draw to the particular project; the company does not presume to owe you any allowance of free time (in 25 reviews)

• Although strategically the company is working to get away from staff aug roles, they were still prevalent in my practice area when I was there (in 46 reviews)

"Amazing work life balance and great peer group and leadership"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance
    Local market model so no travel
    Great set of colleagues
    Inclusive and empathetic leadership team
    Numerous avenues to contribute to the community

Cons

Less than market salaries
    Career progression is totally dependent on the candidate
    Vague role progression process
    Not many opportunities to work in an advisory capacity
    Quality of projects is down to luck mostly

May 5, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing feedback here. It's great that you are enjoying your colleagues, the work life balance, the local model and opportunities for community engagement. Your experience of unclear... More

"Technology Enablement - Don't bother"

Former Employee - Solutions Principal in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Principal in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good logos - some cool clients nothing more to add

Cons

Bad management, there is no leadership, cronyism and sucking valued over battle field experience

Advice to Management

Look at the churn TE has in SF and SV and decide why this happens? Except 1 PAD I don't see anybody who is fit to be there

Jun 26, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. If you are willing to share what you experienced, please email me to set up a time to chat. Alternatively, If there's more you'd like to share anonymously, please consider doing... More

"Good place to transition to a local consulting firm"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. No travel if you don't want it. It's a good place to transition to if you're in a big 4 firm and burned out on constant travel.
    2. Work life balance can be great. Depending on the project and how involved (or not) you want to be in the firm, you can have excellent work life balance.
    3. You can work on some meaningful projects. Some of the projects I worked on gave me good stories to tell (I presented in front of a billionaire software entrepreneur, with minimal handholding. That would have never happened at a big 4 firm.) Other projects are staff aug, and rather routine.
    4. They really do care about the staff. Compared to big 4 firms, you will not have to fight for time off, and they will work with you to accommodate your needs, as long as you communicate proactively.
    5. If you are new to the San Francisco area, you have a social / support network.

Cons

1. It's still a consulting firm, with all the associated baggage.
    2. Culty cliquey culture. There is a lot of Slalom Kool-Aid. If you like to keep your work life at work and independent from your personal life, it can feel hard to fit in, and move up.
    3. Benefits and comp are not great compared to other companies, especially the reduced PTO when you start. These are improving, but when you see what
    clients pay vs. what you take home, you realize there's a LOT of overhead. All the events and the annual out of town retreat for all the staff and family are nice, but I'd rather have that $ devoted to improved compensation and benefits.
    4. Introverts might find the culture challenging. If you don't feel like broadcasting how "Slalom-azing" you are all the time, it might be hard for to fit in.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving benefits and compensation. Spend less on events and rebranding. Hire people who can do the work, and mentor others, in addition to people who are good company at all the events. Stay humble.

Feb 17, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for your 4-star review. I definitely intend on having Slalom live our core value of Staying Humble. I appreciate the detail in your response especially the pro of your... More

"Body Shop"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom (More than a year)

Pros

Really no pros to working here.

Cons

Body shop bordering on small cult / pyramid scheme.

Advice to Management

Stop with the kool aid. Share some of the wealth with the non-leaders. Don't expect everyone to sell.

Feb 1, 2017 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I'm hoping that you share your view of your time here with your people manager or your market leadership. I have heard the small cult type of statement before because we... More

5. "Great up and companig consulting company, some room for improvement"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, fun and smart people
    Selective about work that is taken on
    Great clients
    Good focus on professional development

Cons

Some internal processes still being developed
    Some questionable leadership

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining employees and walking the walk

Nov 1, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. It's great that you are enjoying the work and clients as well as the culture, and your colleagues here at Slalom. Your feedback on questionable leadership... More

6. "Great management consulting company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture, smart and friendly employees, lots of growth over the last number of years.

Cons

Turnover, not a lot of opportunities for mentorship

Nov 7, 2016 – Communications Manager

First off, thank you for being with Slalom San Francisco. It's wonderful that you enjoy the Slalom culture and your colleagues. Your thoughts on lack of mentorship and turnover will be shared with... More

"Staff Aug Work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. If you don't want a role, more often than not, you can turn it down.
    No travel (this could be a pro or a con), but most people considering Slalom have come from consulting backgrounds and are typically tired of weekly flights.

Cons

Most of the work we do in San Francisco is staff aug work, meaning that you're not doing the same high profile work as you would have at another big consulting firm (Deloitte, Accenture, Bain, McKinsey, etc). Keep this in mind, as a lot of the work that we sell is low level project management work.

Advice to Management

Stop selling work that people don't want to do

Sep 18, 2016 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for your review. I plan on sharing with the SF office leadership team, but I hope you also reach out to your people manager to share this feedback as well. I have seen... More

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Delivery Leadership Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Leadership Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom is a great company to work for, they have a great work-life balance, great clients, no travel, local projects. They find roles that you like versus roles that like you.

Cons

Projects at slalom are smaller scale than larger consulting firms. It's much harder to have a presence when compared to the larger consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Great team work and lots of team activities to help the offices get to know all the consultants.

Sep 16, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. It's fantastic that you feel that your roles are so well suited to you and that you enjoy the local-work model. Your feedback on the smaller-scale projects/ the challenge... More

"Great Place To Work With Room For Improvement"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and work-life balance. Cannot rave enough about the community and great people. There is a niche for everyone at Slalom. Also - paid to do pro-bono consulting and volunteering with local nonprofs. Paid annual weekend trip with colleagues to great destinations. No travel, local model.

Cons

The leadership team can seem a bit like a college frat. Also, Slalom lacks a point-of-view in many industry verticals and aren't seen as experts compared to competitors, whether its utilities, retail, or health care / life sciences. There isn't enough thought leadership, which would be expected/normal at other consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on diversity. Appreciate the power of the introvert. Grow up and away from the frat boy culture and become true experts and SMEs in the industry verticals. Be willing to spend a few more dollars and invest in our clients, as opposed to always nickle-and-diming on contracts and scope.

Aug 1, 2016 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thank you for taking some time to share your thoughts. I appreciate you recognizing and calling out our culture. As you probably know, our Inclusion program is something that... More

10. "Talent acquisition manager"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work with senior leaders and have a seat at the table around understanding and making decisions for the business. Opportunity for growth and challenge, promotion done in your own time.

Cons

Not as competitive in salary

Jul 14, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for posting some feedback. It's great that you have access to leadership and business decisions and that you have the ability to grow your career. Your feedback regarding salary levels will... More