Cover image for Slalom
Logo
Best Places to Work 2022

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Slalom Employee Reviews about "slalom"

Updated Nov 19, 2021

4.4
Slalom CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson
1,366 Ratings

What people are saying about Slalom

Join the conversation on

Consulting

417.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Slalom~31102
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The internal company is full of great people and truly enjoy working with everyone here.(in 375 reviews)
  • "This makes for a great spirit and culture in the office and among the employees.(in 353 reviews)
  • "Great Work/life balance (consultants sabbatical program/no traveling for consultants) and in general we work reasonable hours !(in 232 reviews)
  • "Leadership is great and accessible(in 104 reviews)
  • "Good pay and new things every day(in 55 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Slalom and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "slalom"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Amazing company

Nov 15, 2021 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Slalom the leaders and people truly care about each other. I feel valued as a contributor to my projects and office.

Cons

Career Growth has been misunderstood but is a focused priority.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

All good things come to an end

Apr 16, 2021 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great People Great Culture Work-Life Balance Improving Benefits Growing Company no layoffs during covid. no travel unless you want to

Cons

If you are not in technology - there are very few opportunities to do great work. Strategy practices are still selling mostly PM work. No clear direction or strategy from Seattle leadership to leverage advisory work. The salespeople, or the leaders within various offices, don't understand how to sell strategy work. They are not willing to invest in the right type of strategy leaders. They need to understand that advisory work brings in more technology work – it is all connected. If you are a strategy or a finance professional – best to look elsewhere. Maybe Slalom will get their act right when it comes to selling strategic work but I don’t see it happening. Not many growth opportunities for non-technology folks. The new career framework was not rolled out properly. They wanted to standardize roles and titles but did a poor job of it. They did not consider people's experiences. Giving someone with 20 years of experience the same title as another consultant with 5 years of experience is not the right way to do it. They purposely held back people and didn’t give them the deserving titles because Slalom did not want to increase their pay. Now, everyone is trying to get promoted to a position they should have already gotten and or looking to move out of Slalom. Pay is lower than the competitors.

15 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Slalom team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Honored to work here

Jul 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- My voice is heard - I feel I have the autonomy and flexibility to do my job well - The leaders and team members genuinely care for one another and our clients Slalom DC has set the bar for all other companies. I feel lucky to work here with amazing people, good work, and the time they invest to always be better than they were yesterday.

Cons

- You have to set boundaries with your time. If you can do that, then it can be a great experience here.

18 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

I like it but I know people who don't

Sep 9, 2021 - Principal Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom has the best corporate culture I have worked in. They genuinely care about their employees and this is driven down the people managers. I have felt supported in my career ambitions and have felt management has my back in case of a bad/hostile client environment.

Cons

It's a consultancy which comes with the usual baggage of upselling, even for the employees. I was never a day-to-day consultant so I cannot speak to the working conditions but the rumor has it Slalom underpays for the market (probably, we need to make a profit) and some engagements wind up being more staff aug than people expect.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A great place that wants to be greater

Oct 6, 2021 - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved Slalom from the first interview. The recruiter was infectiously enthusiastic about the company and I could not help but to want to work here. It wasn't until after I joined that I started to believe it, too. I didn't just love the work, I loved the people I worked with.

Cons

As with all quickly growing companies, there are soft spots. The key is that Slalom seeks out those problem areas and tries to correct them.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Messy, constant churn and busywork

Aug 24, 2021 - Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, able to be remote

Cons

The quality of work is awful. Every project timeline is too short, you never get to know anyone, you're just constantly meeting people and making throwaway busywork. The people are extremely fake and just smile. There are boatloads of people just chasing titles and that aren't very talented. Every project says it's agile, but there is no process or consistency. The work is just so tiresome and monotonous and low quality, there's not a lot to get motivated about. From day 1, they beat this career ladder/me@slalom progression crap into you, but it's just annoying metrics and there is no real career progression

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome and fun place to work

Nov 2, 2021 - Cloud Architect
    Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom is a fun place to work and always looks out for its employees. Technically, the work is challenging and has a great customer base. You can bring up any issue and the higher ups are always ready to assist and help you and they're crystal clear about their mission and what to expect in a consulting world.

Cons

Salary structure should definitely improve and benefits must be improved.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, but growth has caused the culture to change

Nov 19, 2021 - Analyst in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Executives like to hear from employees and try to listen They try to be people focused as much as they can Work life balance is real here Growth opportunities are given

Cons

The company has changed so much since I started and almost multiplied by 10. This obviously comes with a lot of change. A lot of my coworkers are leaving due to the new executives and changes that haven taken place. In my opinion, the executive changes has made Slalom has lose its charm. It's becoming more focused on the numbers than the relationships and people focus that they previously had. When I left Slalom, I didn't feel cared for by senior leadership like I previously did. The close family vibe changed to more of a corporate vibe where I seemed more like a worker/number than a person. It's just not what it used to be and many long time employees are leaving because it. Also, they don't do anything to help with seniority and compensation. They aren't willing to pay fair market rates accordingly even if you have worked at the company 5+ years, and therefore they're losing on great talent who care about the company and perform well. Then they end up paying higher amounts for new employees coming in since they obviously can't get them at the cheap rates they were paying previously.

8 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Focused on the people

Aug 14, 2021 - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom's values are centered on the people who work there, and it shows in the actions that the leaders take. Slalom tries hard to make sure that consultants are staffed on projects that they like, and our people managers constantly check in to make sure we're growing, we're satisfied, etc.

Cons

Sometimes there aren't projects that are exactly aligned to your interests, which means that you have to get staffed on a project that you might not want. The leaders recognize when this is happening and try to correct for it—but it takes a while to change the pipeline of projects.

2 people found this review helpful
  11. 3.0

Sick Leave

Nov 8, 2021 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom is filled with consistently nice, smart and considerate people. The work is interesting and relatively flexible in terms of the types of projects and assignments.

Cons

The benefits package does not include sick leave! Hard to believe in these days, there is no allocated time off for illness (yourself or family). Sick leave comes out of vacation days.

9 people found this review helpful