Slalom "staff aug" Reviews | Glassdoor

Slalom Employee Reviews about "staff aug"

Updated Oct 19, 2019

4.3
Pros
Cons
  • "Lower salary compared to market/industry; Some roles can be more staff aug rather than consulting(in 61 reviews)

• "Our current 401k match is 50% of contributions, up to 6% of your salary in total(in 46 reviews)

Reviews about "staff aug"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, excellent culture, and the opportunity to work with very smart people

Cons

Not all work is engaging work and falls under staff aug. Luckily management constantly follows up to make sure each employee is still happy at the client and has the option of rolling off if necessary.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to focus on people first

Slalom2017-07-14

"Beware"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Slalom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, very smart and hardworking. Lots of legit rockstars. Great leadership at highest levels, who always listen and mostly care. Lots of opportunities to work on community projects with teammates. Recruiting teams - excellent. Year One - excellent.

Cons

Staff aug work, zero strategy, disconnect from leaders. ITP...aka Ambiguous deadend journey to some promotion or title change that could arbitrarily end in 'nope'? Joke. If you're not a rockstar or not ok with being in the boys club, do not bother. Lots of talk about culture, but its only at low level, not with leadership... at that level, its just about a marketing firm and money machine selling consultant... services and resources. Aka Cult-ure. (URE = U R expendable). And JT, I'm sure you'll reply to this... you could always answer emails, too.

Advice to Management

I'd still recommend Slalom to a friend, just not a best friend. Tough to deal with inconsistency of what's talked about vs done, what's supposedly valued vs celebrated. No real advice for me to give, since there's absolutely zero confidence you'd listen or care, based on this feedback, as long as $ucce$$ keeps coming. This is just more window dressing.

Slalom2019-10-19

"Striving for Big 4 structure with lots of college grad employees"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lavish events, yearly retreat hosted by company, various project accounts, food at office

Cons

Tenured employees have been leaving, big boys club, takes a long time to get promoted, raises are MINIMAL, they are only looking at making money and don't care about holding on to old employees, they are staff aug in Delivery Leadership, very cliquey, DONT GO here if you're established in your career/experience, it's great for college grads like ACCENTURE. They work them for low hourly pay and high bill rates.

Advice to Management

Try to hold on to the employees that started over 5-7 years ago. Culture and morale has declined and many tenured employees can't wait to get out. Your People Managers are also not rooting for their teams but checking off boxes to get THEIR jobs done. Slalom used to be great over 5 years ago and then everything changed overtime. Sad... Move away from being staff aug model especially in Delivery Leadership and try to... hold onto the older employees, of who ever is left.

Slalom2019-09-15
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slalom truly lives its company's values and have a lot of focus on people and their growth.

Slalom2019-09-18

"Some good people, good work life balance, no growth"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compared to previous consulting companies, I will say I like the people I work with here much better. I have a life and am home with my family for dinner every night. I'm not hopping on a plane every week, which is great.

Cons

Lots of politics still, feels like a frathouse environment - moreso in some groups than others, no growth in my career since most of the work we do is staff aug, i can't say i've learned much in the amount of time i've been here, although i'm not hopping on a plane every week i am driving out to suburbs over an hour away each way which still gets me barely enough time at home. compensation is subpar at best.

Slalom2019-05-28

"Overall a good place to work, but still maturing with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people and culture Exposure to in-demand technologies No unwanted travel Free office coffee, snacks, beer and wine If you are looking to kick back and get off the road, and are OK with low raises and no defined career path(s) this is a great place to stay in the consulting game Lots of opportunity to build a business connecting client challenges to Slalom capabilities if you are OK with going to market... only in the local area.

Cons

Senior leadership pretty much all come from the same federal consulting firm and lack industry connections and experience delivering technology solutions (troubling for a tech consulting firm focused outside of public sector) Leadership turnover is a fairly high, with some of the best leaving, the worst getting fired, and the remaining in many cases lacking the experience needed to be successful in their role.... Most employees come from public sector consulting, lower tier boutiques centered around a single technology, or straight from industry. This hodge podge of talent makes it difficult to position ourselves as a firm that can define and deliver more strategic and complex projects. Many office practices are centered around undifferentiated capabilities (ex. project management, change management) or types of technology that often result in more staff aug or low cost SI work. We have senior leaders that appear to do nothing more than hire and staff people in role based "projects". This model looks a lot more like a staffing firm than a consulting firm. I wonder if we could hire HR staff to do the same job and hire leaders that are capable of selling and delivering high value projects vs. selling people. Compensation growth is low (low single digits) and career paths are pretty much non-existent. We claim to be "flat" but I see people at vastly inconsistent levels across the office, with a few that really make you scratch your head. Franchise local model that financially disincentivizes collaboration between Slalom offices makes it challenging to service larger clients with a presence in multiple cities, scale to deliver large projects, and nearly impossible to access expertise in other markets.

Advice to Management

Decide what you want to be and make it happen.... Are you a higher quality staffing company alternative for F500? A place for Booz Allen alumni to launch second careers? A better alternative to third-tier XYZ tech only shops? OR do you want to be a consultancy that can legitimately compete with the big names? If so, start being more selective in who you source, get the right people into the right... roles, and re-evaluate how you reward talent to make DC more of a meritocracy.

Slalom2019-05-21

"Overall positive, generally good amounts of freedom to learn and branch out into new skill sets."

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of flexibility in role and openness with leadership to pursue stretch roles and branch into different tech. Excellent culture if you fit in(I do). Fun outgoing coworkers with diverse skill sets and a strong desire to learn and share. If client work is stale there is always something internal to keep you occupied.

Cons

Client placements can be hit or miss, slalom frequently loses transformative interesting work to larger tech firms resulting in a fair share of staff aug or limited roles, however there are very good placements out of the Chicago office, just not always enough for everyone, you will get stuck on less than desirable placements. The sales culture in upper management is good for the bottom line but at times burns lower... level consultants and managers by placing them on what I’d call boring and unremarkable work for long periods of time. Culture can be cliquey and can alienate many who aren’t lucky enough to get in with the larger groups.

Advice to Management

Be aware that the work being sold, at times necessary, is losing you good talent. If the “bad” work has to be sold, be very aware of how that will burn your more ambitious employees, be aware of this and try to reduce these bad client engagements as much as possible. Focus on pushing slalom as a top tier technology firm.

Slalom2019-03-31

"Not selling? Forget about it."

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Slalom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture at Slalom has been really great. Your peers will be smart, driven, and fun to hang out with. In the past, the compensation was on par with many other firms. Free snacks are a nice touch along with very warm and friendly recruiting/reception teams. Very well done! The promise of the local model is real. You will never be asked to travel.

Cons

If you're technical and not interested in doing sales, don't bother joining. You will waste your life on staff aug roles with no promotion in site. Why? Nowhere to promote you to. Slalom is very flat and only the sales relevant roles move up. Smart, technical, and deliver great work? You'll be passed over by the people that scream the loudest. Local model is a double-edged sword. Expect to not have any tolls/mileage... reimbursed. We have projects all over the city (not necessarily Houston either) i.e., Energy Corridor, Woodlands, Clear lake, Galleria, Downtown Houston and so on. Have to commute between multiple clients and locations to help out. No reimbursement, but "thanks!"

Advice to Management

Remember the days when it was people/clients first and not about how we can get to the next billion? The cutting board to kick off the cooking site, slalom blanket, Yeti cups were great at letting employees feel special. Where did that go? Turned into a $50 voucher to by Slalom gear. If you're going to start acting Big 4, as employees we may as well go work for the Big 4. Real career tracks, larger pay bands, and... much better benefits.

Slalom2019-02-15

"Slalom = staff aug + revolving door for college grads + forced culture"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Slalom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The consulting industry has been maturing for 100+ years; however, as private clients focus on optimizing business processes and rapidly building IT infrastructures, this historical consulting model is struggling at the fundamental level. Specially, the Big4 and other large consulting firms have built models that are subject to inflating rates - especially in the government - where you see entry level people trying... to bill out at a 3x multiple, e.g., $150/hr for a recent college grad. These legacy consulting firms must keep pumping their multiples to offset the poor financial decisions being made by their aging executives, lack of billability at the mid-level, and the need for innovation to keep up with newer markets, like data science. This struggling model has paved the way for a new generation of consulting firms - enter Slalom - who are focused on providing lower rates, high output and adequate levels of technical skill. This forces a business model that is focused on identifying talent that is: (1) willing to work/bill extra hours, (2) billing at the lowest possible rate, and (3) up to date on the current technologies and industry tries. So, how does Slalom do this? It's simple: they predominantly hire college grads and manufacture a superficial culture that speaks directly to that demographic to consistently energize them to do work and/or take the necessary trainings to be minimally effective on projects. When you were interviewing with Slalom, did you notice how much time they spent showing off that wine fridge and keg while talking up the culture? And, did you primarily see desks of busy-looking junior staff sitting around?

Cons

The initial problem with this model is that it only really works when everyone is billing out 100% of their time and when the firm is willing to sign up for "any" type of work in exchange for adding staff to projects. This forces a flat organization within Slalom where there is some variance in rates and experience but minimal strategic work or opportunities for true career advancement. This is unlike the Big4... model which creates the opportunity for staff to grow at the expense of their aging business model. The side effect of this model at Slalom is that staff can oftentimes be aligned to projects that don't match their core skill set and, due to the flat nature of the organization, they will rarely have a manager/senior leader go to bat for them if they are unhappy with their project or drifting in their career. The only real way to get promoted and build a career is to find an entirely new client for Slalom and build an account from the ground up, which would provide Slalom with a new, ongoing revenue stream associated to you. This is certainly not impossible - and several junior Slalomers have climbed that chain - but rest assured that it's a huge dice roll. When you're spending 8 hours/day with a different client, doing staff aug work and then being asked to participate in seeming endless culture-building exercises for Slalom (happy hours), it becomes very difficult to gel into a true consulting role and proactively find new clients/work. Because Slalom is comprised of younger staff who have yet to develop the full range of management and consulting experience, most of Slalom's projects involve day-to-day services, like developing Tableau reports, testing, documenting requirements, taking meeting notes, etc. Did I mention testing? Further, projects typically only grow when clients proactively ask for additional staff vs. Slalom pitching new strategic services (like what you'd see with the Big4). Again, this is not a problem for Slalom because they are ok with staff leaving after a few years of their boring work because - in the next year - there will be new graduating college class with fresher technical skills who are ready to do technical work for 50-60 hours/week while only billing 40. The biggest problem that I - and many other people - have with Slalom is that it's not honest to its employees about what the company actually is - at all stages of recruitment and employment. They have armies of recruiters and a large social media presence to show future employees how much "fun" it is to work for the company. They beg employees to submit surveys to get the firm on "Top 100" lists for consulting publications and to provide online feedback on social sites so that they can provide hard statistics to further recruit young talent. But the benefit of using college grads/younger staff in this capacity is that they're new to their careers so they really don't have any baseline to compare their Slalom experience to. So, they stay until they realize that having an in-office keg does not truly provide that career-ROI they are looking for. Welcome to Slalom: the post college Frat.

Advice to Management

Be honest with new employees about what the company is: a revolving door that basically extends the college experience while paying a reasonable salary for a few years. Having recruiting team inflate your corporate image through social media will only work for so much longer as newer generations are getting smarter at spotting fakers.

Slalom2018-08-12

"Beware - don’t buy the kool aid!"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Slalom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

No travel and decent pay if you negotiate smart during hiring - otherwise all downhill. Good community contribution opportunities if that’s what drives you mainly vs the actual consulting work.

Cons

Staff aug work all/most of the time, unskilled market leadership teams full of former Big4 types who didn’t progress beyond individual contributor roles there. little to no training opportunities other than the standard PMP/run of the mill training , full of cliques where if you don’t fit in you get excluded. Promotions are meaningless - more you show you are drinking the cool aid/buy Slalom swag for family ,... kissing someone’s behind etc, the more your chances of promotion . Isn’t it telling that in my market, 75% of the office had been there less than 6 months - attrition was 40% ! I know experienced folks in my area who’d rather stay unemployed than have me refer them to Slalom ! I also know friends who are good friends of mine but don’t really have the chops for certain skills who were hired by Slalom just because they were able to schmooze , while other friends I referred because they had the real chops got rejected because they weren’t “ true consultants” (I.e non-white males older than 40, still had foreign accents, said they won’t be attending events because they don’t drink, and didn’t dress cool). I know of leaders telling people they should stick to IT roles because people from certain countries are better at those roles vs S&O or Finance etc !! Take a job here only if you lack self confidence that you won’t find anything else. I no longer refer folks here.

Slalom2018-08-23