Slalom Employee Reviews about "staff aug"

Updated Jan 16, 2021

4.2
Pros
  • "Fantastic Work Life Balance is more than a slogan(in 311 reviews)

• "Great colleagues - overall great people(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of Diversity, Staff Aug roles at time, new framework with unclear expectations(in 63 reviews)

• "401k match could be better and more women in leadership(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Slalom and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "staff aug"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Consultant

Jul 14, 2017 - Consultant in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, excellent culture, and the opportunity to work with very smart people

Cons

Not all work is engaging work and falls under staff aug. Luckily management constantly follows up to make sure each employee is still happy at the client and has the option of rolling off if necessary.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Communications Manager

Thanks for posting about your experience working with Slalom Dallas. It’s great that the people and the culture are such a good fit for you. Your advice to keep up the good work and continue to focus on people first will be shared with leadership. If you’d like to share more feedback at any time, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey. Thank you for being with Slalom.

2. 3.0

Its a Decent company

May 13, 2020 - Consultant in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You don't have to travel mostly. Most projects are local. If you are put of a non local project, you still get to avoid unwanted travel in most cases. Most people I worked with at Slalom were nice to work with.You do get your share of jerks. If you like networking/work events, Slalom generally has plenty of them. We've had them in places like Disneyland, Knotts Berry farm etc. Those are fun. It feels like the top leadership genuinely cares about having a people centric company. But since each location is kind of run as an independent smaller company, each has its own culture.

Cons

You need to be an extrovert to get noticed. Since most of your work is staff aug, your management chain is mostly unaware of your work. I joined Slalom with the assumption (based on what was told by my recruiter and hiring manager) that they do a lot of consulting work, but turned out most of the work was staff aug. For the few consulting projects that Slalom did, there is a lot of overpromise on the timelines and the end product. When the company grows you hire a lot of folks from outside and you'll see the culture changing. For all its faults, I used to like working at Slalom in my initial couple of years. Then our team grew and we had a lot of new leadership who cared more about their growth and the money they can bring. These comments are specific to Orange County/San Diego market.

3 people found this review helpful

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I'll share with the So Cal leadership as clearly maintaining our culture and core values while we grow is pivotal to who we are and who we want to be. If you would like to connect live to share perhaps where / how you have seen the culture erode (even if just a little), I would be interested in understanding what you saw. Simply send me an email to schedule a time to talk - johnt@slalom.com. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent company but still a long way to go

Jan 16, 2021 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture and a more relaxing consulting firm than the Big 4 and others.

Cons

Lack of Diversity, Staff Aug roles at time, new framework with unclear expectations. Lower pay in which they sell you work life balance instead.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 2.0

Beware

Oct 19, 2019 - Consultant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, very smart and hardworking. Lots of legit rockstars. Great leadership at highest levels, who always listen and mostly care. Lots of opportunities to work on community projects with teammates. Recruiting teams - excellent. Year One - excellent.

Cons

Staff aug work, zero strategy, disconnect from leaders. ITP...aka Ambiguous deadend journey to some promotion or title change that could arbitrarily end in 'nope'? Joke. If you're not a rockstar or not ok with being in the boys club, do not bother. Lots of talk about culture, but its only at low level, not with leadership... at that level, its just about a marketing firm and money machine selling consultant services and resources. Aka Cult-ure. (URE = U R expendable). And JT, I'm sure you'll reply to this... you could always answer emails, too.

24 people found this review helpful

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. You obviously know me, so why don't you send me an email or call my cell - I'd be happy to talk to you more about this if you would like. I will forward to the Boston leadership team and alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Striving for Big 4 structure with lots of college grad employees

Sep 15, 2019 - Management Consultant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lavish events, yearly retreat hosted by company, various project accounts, food at office

Cons

Tenured employees have been leaving, big boys club, takes a long time to get promoted, raises are MINIMAL, they are only looking at making money and don't care about holding on to old employees, they are staff aug in Delivery Leadership, very cliquey, DONT GO here if you're established in your career/experience, it's great for college grads like ACCENTURE. They work them for low hourly pay and high bill rates.

15 people found this review helpful

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. We probably have met at some point during your time here and I'd be happy to talk to you more about what you are seeing - simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to speak. We continue to evolve as a company, especially in what we do and how we go to market. I believe our culture / core values are still in tact - so would love to understand your perspective. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not selling? Forget about it.

Feb 15, 2019 - Solutions Architect in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Slalom has been really great. Your peers will be smart, driven, and fun to hang out with. In the past, the compensation was on par with many other firms. Free snacks are a nice touch along with very warm and friendly recruiting/reception teams. Very well done! The promise of the local model is real. You will never be asked to travel.

Cons

If you're technical and not interested in doing sales, don't bother joining. You will waste your life on staff aug roles with no promotion in site. Why? Nowhere to promote you to. Slalom is very flat and only the sales relevant roles move up. Smart, technical, and deliver great work? You'll be passed over by the people that scream the loudest. Local model is a double-edged sword. Expect to not have any tolls/mileage reimbursed. We have projects all over the city (not necessarily Houston either) i.e., Energy Corridor, Woodlands, Clear lake, Galleria, Downtown Houston and so on. Have to commute between multiple clients and locations to help out. No reimbursement, but "thanks!"

21 people found this review helpful

General Manager

I’m glad you enjoyed our culture and people while you were here. I also appreciate your candid feedback. Our technical space is one of our fastest growing areas. As we grow, it has and will continue to create additional opportunities for individual growth without sales. I’m disappointed we couldn’t help you find a path that resonated. As far as tolls, we do have a general expense policy for excessive commutes. We encourage anyone for whom the commute is a burden to raise his or her hand to better understand their individual situation to see what can be done. Please feel free to call my cell at 425.985.4959 or email brianj@slalom.com if you’d like to talk live. Brian Jacobsen, General Manager

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall positive, generally good amounts of freedom to learn and branch out into new skill sets.

Mar 31, 2019 - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of flexibility in role and openness with leadership to pursue stretch roles and branch into different tech. Excellent culture if you fit in(I do). Fun outgoing coworkers with diverse skill sets and a strong desire to learn and share. If client work is stale there is always something internal to keep you occupied.

Cons

Client placements can be hit or miss, slalom frequently loses transformative interesting work to larger tech firms resulting in a fair share of staff aug or limited roles, however there are very good placements out of the Chicago office, just not always enough for everyone, you will get stuck on less than desirable placements. The sales culture in upper management is good for the bottom line but at times burns lower level consultants and managers by placing them on what I’d call boring and unremarkable work for long periods of time. Culture can be cliquey and can alienate many who aren’t lucky enough to get in with the larger groups.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

If you're looking to be a warm body at a client, then Slalom is the place for you

Jan 21, 2020 - Solution Architect
      Business Outlook

Pros

HR is very good at deceiving potential candidates about the types of projects they will work on. WFH and not too much travel (Client specific policy, not slaloms). You will be billable, just not on anything interesting or learn anything.

Cons

No 401K, Average PTO, Staff Aug, Stuck with projects that Big 4 doesn't want.

7 people found this review helpful

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Seems like your stint at Slalom was pretty short - we match 50% on 401K (of your first 6%) and our PTO improves as your tenor here increases. Also - considering we go up against the Big4 and many other larger consulting companies often, I would not categorize this as work they do not want. That said, your experience must not have been great, so best of luck with your next gig. If you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Some good people, good work life balance, no growth

May 28, 2019 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compared to previous consulting companies, I will say I like the people I work with here much better. I have a life and am home with my family for dinner every night. I'm not hopping on a plane every week, which is great.

Cons

Lots of politics still, feels like a frathouse environment - moreso in some groups than others, no growth in my career since most of the work we do is staff aug, i can't say i've learned much in the amount of time i've been here, although i'm not hopping on a plane every week i am driving out to suburbs over an hour away each way which still gets me barely enough time at home. compensation is subpar at best.

9 people found this review helpful

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for your review. I'd really like to talk to you about ways you can learn both on your engagements and outside that. Simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to speak. You can also explore ideas on this with your people manager or even your GM. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Beware - don’t buy the kool aid!

Aug 23, 2018 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

No travel and decent pay if you negotiate smart during hiring - otherwise all downhill. Good community contribution opportunities if that’s what drives you mainly vs the actual consulting work.

Cons

Staff aug work all/most of the time, unskilled market leadership teams full of former Big4 types who didn’t progress beyond individual contributor roles there. little to no training opportunities other than the standard PMP/run of the mill training , full of cliques where if you don’t fit in you get excluded. Promotions are meaningless - more you show you are drinking the cool aid/buy Slalom swag for family , kissing someone’s behind etc, the more your chances of promotion . Isn’t it telling that in my market, 75% of the office had been there less than 6 months - attrition was 40% ! I know experienced folks in my area who’d rather stay unemployed than have me refer them to Slalom ! I also know friends who are good friends of mine but don’t really have the chops for certain skills who were hired by Slalom just because they were able to schmooze , while other friends I referred because they had the real chops got rejected because they weren’t “ true consultants” (I.e non-white males older than 40, still had foreign accents, said they won’t be attending events because they don’t drink, and didn’t dress cool). I know of leaders telling people they should stick to IT roles because people from certain countries are better at those roles vs S&O or Finance etc !! Take a job here only if you lack self confidence that you won’t find anything else. I no longer refer folks here.

11 people found this review helpful

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I'd love to talk to you about your experience here at Slalom. It's likely, if you were here over 10 years, I've met you at some point, so would love to have the conversation. Simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set something up. I have not seen 40% attrition in any market at any time at Slalom, although many of our markets are growing fast so I could see where there are many new people. I hope you schedule a time with me. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 62 Reviews