Cover image for Slalom
Logo
Best Places to Work 2022

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Slalom Employee Reviews about "staff aug"

Updated Oct 12, 2021

4.4
Slalom CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson
1,364 Ratings

What people are saying about Slalom

Join the conversation on

Consulting

409.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Slalom~31102
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The internal company is full of great people and truly enjoy working with everyone here.(in 374 reviews)
  • "This makes for a great spirit and culture in the office and among the employees.(in 354 reviews)
  • "Work life balance is great and you are never expected to do anything that you don't want to do.(in 229 reviews)
  • "Leadership is great and accessible(in 108 reviews)
  • "Good pay and new things every day(in 53 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Slalom and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "staff aug"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

I like it but I know people who don't

Sep 9, 2021 - Principal Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom has the best corporate culture I have worked in. They genuinely care about their employees and this is driven down the people managers. I have felt supported in my career ambitions and have felt management has my back in case of a bad/hostile client environment.

Cons

It's a consultancy which comes with the usual baggage of upselling, even for the employees. I was never a day-to-day consultant so I cannot speak to the working conditions but the rumor has it Slalom underpays for the market (probably, we need to make a profit) and some engagements wind up being more staff aug than people expect.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Aug 6, 2021 - Consultant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is genuinely special. People are aware of what's going on in the world and try to create a space where everyone is valued & accepted for the person they are. Leaders are accessible (in concept) and generally people are friendly. A lot of the cultural aspect of the job changed when we went remote because of covid, but at least in our market, the office ops team put in a huge amount of effort to maintain as much of the community feel as they could remotely.

Cons

A lot of politics. Internal politics matter more to career progression than they should. There are times when internal politics have negatively impacted client delivery, and this wasn't an isolated situation. Additionally, a new career framework was rolled out last year and despite promises that it would standardize criteria for promotion, it only added more politics and subjectivity into the mix. Managers are promoted when they don't have the actual skills to be good managers (provide consistent feedback, remember details about conversations with their people, advocate for their direct reports when appropriate). Most of the roles at the consultant level are staff aug roles. You have to fight to be staffed in roles that actually align with your career interests...and there aren't that many to go around because of the type of work that is sold. NB: this is practice-dependent, but was the case for my practice. Slalom pays a lot of lip service to diversity and inclusion, but the reality is there are very few non-white, non-male senior leaders across the company - and especially in my market. Compensation for non-technical roles lags behind some other consulting firms and definitely lags behind equivalent industry jobs. Benefits are average at best and 401k matching is comparatively pretty low.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Slalom team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, growing pains

Oct 12, 2021 - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great people -Good work/life balance -Good professional development resources, if you seek them out

Cons

-Compensation doesn't seem like it's keeping up with competitors -Many staff aug projects, especially for earlier career individuals -Almost too much emphasis on culture and less on good delivery, which can make growth feel challenging

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0

Loyalty over Competency

Jul 9, 2021 - Senior Delivery Principal
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you get on the good side of the right people, they will take care of you. Because of their model, Slalom does attract some awesome people. They do not stay long though.....

Cons

Because of the size of Slalom and its independent market model, everything is still very partner oriented even though they say it is not. Your career advancement, experience, etc. Comes down to one person typically and whether they like you or not. The ego runs high amongst the leadership team and they all will throw you under the bus to save their own skin. Staff Aug mentality runs deep here. Leadership lied about sales competitions, bonuses, and promotions. The weight of many is carried by few.

14 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0

Good Culture, Lackluster everything else

May 20, 2021 - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They hire some of the best and smartest people to work in non-leadership roles. Core values are meaningful and events are fun (pre-covid). Work/life balance is better than big 4 and you don't have to travel.

Cons

Slalom started off as a great place and is shiny looking when you interview and the first couple of months in, especially if you started before covid, but once you've been around for a few months you start seeing cracks in this organization and its empty promises. If you are an ambitious, hard working professional trying to grow in your prime years, this is the place your career will go to slow down or die unless you are one of the lucky few to have a people manager who actually cares about your growth over their own, even with their new career growth framework, which is terrible. Most projects are staff aug and if you don't sell work, you will not have any upward momentum no matter how well you perform in client delivery. The leadership team loves to call themselves "leadership" constantly, but don't act like it and the turn over of both leadership and consultants during my time there was over 50% in most practices. While the pay is pretty solid, the bonuses are really small for the criteria you have to meet for a single digit percentage opportunity. Over my tenure at Slalom, I saw the best people leave left and right for better opportunities and that should tell you everything you need to know.

10 people found this review helpful

Slalom Response

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I appreciate the thoughtful post. I feel the LA office specifically is only getting better and better. I wish you could have shared more with other leaders during your time here and if there is even a small desire to share more with me, I'm sure it would help provide some more coaching for the team. Simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to talk. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

7. 5.0

Great place nice people

Jul 19, 2021 - Consultant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people who care about you

Cons

Staff aug work that stall development

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome company to work for

Sep 1, 2021 - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

They are all about people. The people they hire are very smart and really good consultants.

Cons

Sometimes, you get to work on a staff aug project ... which kind of makes you disconnected from other slalomers.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Its a Decent company

May 13, 2020 - Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You don't have to travel mostly. Most projects are local. If you are put of a non local project, you still get to avoid unwanted travel in most cases. Most people I worked with at Slalom were nice to work with.You do get your share of jerks. If you like networking/work events, Slalom generally has plenty of them. We've had them in places like Disneyland, Knotts Berry farm etc. Those are fun. It feels like the top leadership genuinely cares about having a people centric company. But since each location is kind of run as an independent smaller company, each has its own culture.

Cons

You need to be an extrovert to get noticed. Since most of your work is staff aug, your management chain is mostly unaware of your work. I joined Slalom with the assumption (based on what was told by my recruiter and hiring manager) that they do a lot of consulting work, but turned out most of the work was staff aug. For the few consulting projects that Slalom did, there is a lot of overpromise on the timelines and the end product. When the company grows you hire a lot of folks from outside and you'll see the culture changing. For all its faults, I used to like working at Slalom in my initial couple of years. Then our team grew and we had a lot of new leadership who cared more about their growth and the money they can bring. These comments are specific to Orange County/San Diego market.

4 people found this review helpful

Slalom Response

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I'll share with the So Cal leadership as clearly maintaining our culture and core values while we grow is pivotal to who we are and who we want to be. If you would like to connect live to share perhaps where / how you have seen the culture erode (even if just a little), I would be interested in understanding what you saw. Simply send me an email to schedule a time to talk - johnt@slalom.com. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great consulting firm

Apr 26, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- competitive pay - super sharp colleagues - office spaces are typically very nice and well-stocked with supplies and snacks - good work-life balance... compared to other firms

Cons

- work-life balance can definitely be a challenge as market responsibilities increase and attending 'voluntary' events after hours - big pushes for engaging/meaningful work, but still often hearing complaints about staff aug projects - boy's club culture at times/in some markets

11. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good overall culture, poor leadership at a practice level

Apr 14, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great brand and reach for a local consulting firm

Cons

Very staff aug. in the D&A space. Practice leaders mainly care about utilization and treat people like they are all replaceable. Comp is not competitive.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews