KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Slalom

Engaged Employer

Slalom

Add a Review

Slalom Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 19, 2021

Found 342 of over 2K reviews

4.3
Slalom CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson
1,055 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fantastic Work Life Balance is more than a slogan(in 311 reviews)

• "Great colleagues - overall great people(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of Diversity, Staff Aug roles at time, new framework with unclear expectations(in 63 reviews)

• "401k match could be better and more women in leadership(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Slalom and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good Place to Work!

Jan 15, 2021 - Principal
      Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance, no travel, engaged leadership

Cons

limited vacation time, 401k match

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Slalom is a great place to work.

Oct 27, 2020 - Consultant in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom Portland Leadership truly cares. They value your work and prioritize your work/life balance. The company is committed to transparency. Slalom Portland leaders have a track record of communicating openly and honestly about what's working and what's not. In fact, this is the most transparent company that I've ever worked for. Slalom Consultants are overwhelmingly smart, talented, and collaborative. Consultants mostly work from home, but have the option to travel to work on compelling projects or to attend trainings.

Cons

As others have mentioned, knowledge management is a WIP. The 401(k) match is paltry (but at least there is one!).

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Trust local reviews: experience varies by market

Dec 15, 2020 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I haven't met a consultant I did not enjoy as a person. Everyone is kind, a team player, and committed to working hard. There are a strong set of firm values that the organization uses regularly to drive culture. This provides an anchor for explaining decisions, delivering feedback (mostly positive, sometimes constructive), and evaluating performance. If you're in a market with great leadership, there are good opportunities to explore, innovate, grow, and advance. If you're not...

Cons

Corporate leadership evaluates market performance first by utilization--not revenues. That translates to a "just get them staffed" mentality, creating some of the shortcomings referenced in other reviews: -Focus on billing hours, as opposed to doing what's right for the client Little concerted investment in product/service innovation -Pressure on those who want to move up to do bill 40 and then do the job above them to prove themselves -A broken performance management system that rewards hours--not revenues. These experiences are not universal; read the reviews and you'll see that average ratings and NPS scores vary by market. The senior leadership team of each market has autonomy to run their business as they see fit. As a team member within the market, there's almost 0 opportunity to provide feedback/ open conversations about negative patterns/behaviors at that SLT level in a safe way. I'm not sure if its a product of my market's SLT (which is a black box when it comes to decision-making) or the firm, but I've been told by many that moving up will require that you demonstrate you can do the job you want while also hitting the targets for the job you have. So, bill 40 hours per week to meet your utilization target (it's 87.5% and PTO counts against you, so don't take vacation or spend any time on the bench!), sell a few high-value engagements (with little sales support to open doors), contribute to internal initiatives, then "tell a compelling story." Then maybe you can get that next role. Or maybe you can continue to work 50 to 60 (or more) hours a week hoping for better luck next year... Bottom line, work-life balance only exists for those who don't want to move up and promotions are not guaranteed even if you came with significant experience in sales/practice leadership before joining. So, don't come in as a consultant unless you want to stay there or you have the foresight to negotiate a promotion timeline when you take the job. I hope this explanation of how different markets operates helps explain the variability in reviews. I don't believe those negative reviewers are necessarily disgruntled employees; they're probably in a market with leadership challenges, not receiving opportunities to do work that is impactful or challenging, have no clear growth path, and/or are not in a high-visibility clique (as one reviewer described). I feel those things some days and it's rough.

11 people found this review helpful

Slalom Response

President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I think what you are describing in your last paragraph is part of the process to look at people getting to the next level. I think it is healthy when looking at promotion to have people try out certain parts of the responsibilities AND consider their aptitude. This is similar to what I have seen in other organizations both in consulting and industry. I think we also, very much take into account what you have done outside of Slalom, but we arguably honor and consider what you have done at Slalom a little more. The main part of the new CDF though is to get more consistent in all these practices and this will be a continual journey - which this roll out is really step 1. Regarding your point on emphasis on utilization, this is probably fair and we hyper focused on this in 2020 due to COVID and really protecting our people and our business. I believe we have and are seeing continual amazing true transformational work, however, so there are a lot of great things happening. I'd be happy to talk to you further regarding your specific circumstances, simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to talk. Alternatively, if you’d like to share more feedback anonymously, please consider doing so via this survey: http://slalom.ws/anonsurvey.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company that lives their values

Jan 12, 2021 - Consultant in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom lives their core values, focus on delivery for Consultant level, great culture

Cons

Leadership often loses that work/life balance that is advertised

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

A company that actually cares

Jan 14, 2021 - Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and work - life balance New career framework provides more clarity on roles and responsibilities Impactful work

Cons

Pay is fair for the hours worked, but below market average

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

I am grateful for being able to work he

Jan 15, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Core value driven -Promote a healthy work/life balance

Cons

-growing fast which can create some stresses around personal development and project time balance

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Slalom is the kind of place you typically read about in business books but rarely experience - this place is legit!

May 11, 2020 - Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Slalom has authentic, values-driven leaders who stay personally connected and closely engaged with front-line employees. I feel inspired by my colleagues and am driven to inspire them right back. Slalom has great relationships with our clients because we sell and staff locally so I'm not burned out on travel and have an ideal work/life balance. #WLB The payoff: I feel empowered to dream big, deliver bigger and have fun doing it.

Cons

Untraining consultants who come from Big4 firms is a challenge. What got you There won't get you Here. Slalom is not hierarchical, it's more family where you need to trust, be respectful, and lead with empathy. For those who try to bend the Slalom culture to their familiar ways, it's painful for all involved. Typically, people either embrace the culture in the first year or they move on.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent Response to 2020

Dec 4, 2020 - Data Engineer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent covid response, no pressure to work from an office, encouragement to take any time off you need to take care of yourself or your family, and always a focus on maintaining a healthy work life balance. Truely people focused, in a way that honestly blew my mind.

Cons

Continue to focus on diversity.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing company, amazing people living their motto

Jan 11, 2021 - Solution Architect in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic Work Life Balance is more than a slogan

Cons

Nothing I have found so far

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overall a solid company with potential career growth

Jan 14, 2021 - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company company atmosphere. Peers that are very knowledgeable and willing to help. Some decent career growth opportunities if you are willing to put in some extra time. Work life balance has always been good. Benefit offerings seem to be improving, although 401k match could be higher.

Cons

At times the work can be less then inspiring, some projects can be a little tedious.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 342 Reviews