Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Sleep Number Corporation President and CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great product along with a lot of great staff" (in 67 reviews)

• "So far working at Sleep Number I have improved over 50 lives and have been able to have a healthier work life balance as some other jobs" (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • "Small teams can be tough on work/life balance" (in 46 reviews)

• "Some things are out of your control such as Home delivery or Customer Service" (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Smart Leadership, Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At no point do you ever feel like the tools to be successful at your job were not available to use. The company focuses on a mix of servant-leadership along with the push of constant growth and training. As a result of this mixed system, it feels like your leader is both taking care of you and push you to grow to help you do some extraordinary things.

There is also a huge focus on the the overall health and wellness technology aspect of the company that not only gives a great story to share with your customers but also family and friends.

What separates a job from a career is the ability to identify the value and passion you bring to both your customers and employees or lives and with that in mind, Sleep Number will truly never lack value or passion.

Cons

It is easy to get caught up with genuine engagement you get at work and as a result your work-life balance at times gets a little muddied. However, engagement in better transparency with employees has created a noticeable uptick in this. Being bold enough to request time enough should be encouraged and has translated to happier employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Being one of the most innovative companies in the industry means that sometimes our path looks harder, tougher and more callous than staying on the safe road. Please continue down this innovative path. The experiences, products and stories that we get to tell people not only create a stronger brand identity but allow us to engage with people on a separate level that resonates much louder. Some companies beat their dumb louder, Sleep Number just enjoys the music. You ask your employees in retail to be bold and have a genuine conversation everyday on solutions that will work for them. My ask for management is to be bold enough to keep innovating people, products and processes so we can keep telling our story to more people.

May 22, 2018 – Employer Brand

Wow! Appreciate the five stars! More importantly, though, your PASSION really came through -- for the company's vision and mission as well as for the customer. Thanks for everything you do to lead... More

"Feels like Family"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission Driven, Trustworthy, Incentivized, Health & Wellness Focused, Innovation Company where you work hard - and your pay will show it!

Cons

Retail hours are inconsistent with some shopper habits. Would love to see more technology in POS systems. Communication between customer service and store could always improve but it is much better now than ever.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Show more diversity in advertising.

Mar 23, 2018 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review! Nothing makes us happier than when team members leave "mission driven" as one of their "pros." It's really what we're all about --improving lives. Thanks for... More

3. "Great Company that listens"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

As with any company there are pros and cons. Working for Sleep Number has always given the better reasons though. Great salary, commission plan and you get paid based on how hard you work. If you want unlimited earnings potential and to move to then Sleep Number is the place for you.

Cons

This is a retail job so hours are retail

4. "Meh"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Professional in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Professional in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The starting pay is fair

Cons

Lure of advancement opportunities and promise of better work/life balance is generously overstated.

Advice to Management

Be more up front about position review and guidelines, as well as the inability to be promoted to a position that does not involve being on the phone.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Okemos, MI

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As in any sales job you have an opportunity to earn based on your ability.

Cons

Poor training, mall retail hours, little incentive to do better when you are top in the state in sales and don't get recognition and bullied to do even better

Oct 16, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a review. Definitely sorry to learn you weren't happy with the training and incentives. In addition, concerned about your use of the word bully, which... More

6. "Values Customers and Team Members"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number is the first company that I have ever worked for that truly lives out their mission and values. There is a constant focus on customers and how to improve their lives. There is an equal focus on team members and how to continue to grow a passionate and focused team while not sacrificing a personal life.

Cons

Sleep Number is growing, but there still isn't a clear cut path to grow your career, you really have to fight for it.

Sep 18, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. So glad you can feel that our commitment to the mission and vision is sincere. As for career growth, there are definitely opportunities. Be sure and... More

7. "Sales manager"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great mission helping people. Pay can be good when sales are good. Work life balance is excellent for retail. It is retail so night and weekends. The beds are great and you get to hear great stories from customers on how you changed their lives. Management seems to listen and respond.

Cons

It can be slow with sometimes you just working by yourself. You have to really like making phone calls. Computer systems are outdated and slow and that can be frustrating.

Sep 7, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Appreciate the five-star review! We agree -- it's amazing to hear stories from customers who are living better because they're sleeping better. Thanks for making that possible!

We definitely have... More

8. "More social interactions within the markets employee base allows for easier solutions."

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work at your own pace.

Cons

People will often throw you under the bus to look better.

Sep 7, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review. Glad your team is working well together to find solutions for the customer; however, sorry to feel you don't feel supported. Please know that your human... More

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their values sound good, too bad they don't actually believe in them or practice them.

Cons

It is the most hostile work environment I've ever experienced. Rampant ignorance of the value of diversity and racism rages within the confines of the call center.

Advice to Management

Practice your values and hold your employees accountable for their behaviors.

Sep 27, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

You’ve raised some serious issues in your review, and outline behavior that certainly is not in line with our values, which we do our best to live every day. We’d urge you to share your concerns by... More

"CSC Sleep Professional"

Former Employee - CSC Sleep Professional in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - CSC Sleep Professional in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with a tight knit team. Headquarters building amenities and location downtown Minneapolis.

Cons

Management were all outsourced hires. None hired from within. Felt like there was a disconnect between sales team and management as no manager ever took or made a sales call. More favor company wide towards retail stores so sales were often forfeited to retail channels regardless of shady sales tactics from regional and store managers. No advancement opportunities in direct sales department. It's a tarpit.

Advice to Management

Hire your direct sales management from within the department just like the stores. Crack down on retail deal stealing. Company feels like it concentrates on the technology aspect more instead of the quality of the product. The product was better before Sleep IQ.

Sep 7, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad you enjoyed working with the team, but sorry you didn't feel better about the leadership. I'm sending your review to the head of the Customer Sales Center so... More