Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Sleep Number Corporation President and CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great product along with a lot of great staff" (in 64 reviews)

• "Sleep Number is the best company I have ever worked for" (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "Small teams can be tough on work/life balance" (in 43 reviews)

• "Ever changing priorities of upper management" (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Smart Leadership, Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At no point do you ever feel like the tools to be successful at your job were not available to use. The company focuses on a mix of servant-leadership along with the push of constant growth and training. As a result of this mixed system, it feels like your leader is both taking care of you and push you to grow to help you do some extraordinary things.

There is also a huge focus on the the overall health and wellness technology aspect of the company that not only gives a great story to share with your customers but also family and friends.

What separates a job from a career is the ability to identify the value and passion you bring to both your customers and employees or lives and with that in mind, Sleep Number will truly never lack value or passion.

Cons

It is easy to get caught up with genuine engagement you get at work and as a result your work-life balance at times gets a little muddied. However, engagement in better transparency with employees has created a noticeable uptick in this. Being bold enough to request time enough should be encouraged and has translated to happier employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Being one of the most innovative companies in the industry means that sometimes our path looks harder, tougher and more callous than staying on the safe road. Please continue down this innovative path. The experiences, products and stories that we get to tell people not only create a stronger brand identity but allow us to engage with people on a separate level that resonates much louder. Some companies beat their dumb louder, Sleep Number just enjoys the music. You ask your employees in retail to be bold and have a genuine conversation everyday on solutions that will work for them. My ask for management is to be bold enough to keep innovating people, products and processes so we can keep telling our story to more people.

May 22, 2018 – Employer Brand

Wow! Appreciate the five stars! More importantly, though, your PASSION really came through -- for the company's vision and mission as well as for the customer. Thanks for everything you do to lead... More

2. "Great Time to Join Sleep Number!"

Current Employee - Senior Director Sales & Services Training in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Director Sales & Services Training in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love that Sleep Number is on a journey to become one of the world’s most beloved brands through a culture of passion, integrity, innovation, courage, and teamwork. Every individual is critical to delivering the Sleep Number Brand Promise, which is to improve lives by individualizing Sleep Experiences. At the core, Sleep Number sells a bed that no other competitor has. Sleep Number smart beds provide each sleeper with an individualized Sleep Number setting that goes to work when you go to sleep. It continuously adjusts the support and comfort of your bed to keep you asleep throughout the night. And there is so much more to help fall asleep faster and keep sleeping longer …. automatic foot warming, snore control, a cool/warm comfort layer like hot and cool seats in our cars … and when you wake up Sleep Number smart beds tell you how you slept with the ability to integrate into your daily life-tracking apps.
    I also love important responsibilities that every employee is given. For me, it’s leading the team who owns the Sleep Number customer sales and service experience including all the training to empower front-line sleep professionals to be the best. Everyone at Sleep Number works hard and tries to focus on about 3 priorities at a time, then as each priority is complete we move the next one up to deliver. It’s always challenging yet fun to sync up all our individual priorities to deliver significant overall success.

Cons

Don’t join Sleep Number if you want a job to implement your past successes. Sleep Number consumers move fast in this digital world and we as employees change and move fast to keep ahead of evolving modern expectations and priorities. This includes letting go of personal and business priorities that no longer deliver significant impact. I personally have been with Sleep Number +12 years with lots of career experiences before that, and all that matters is all of us remain at the forefront of the modern world and business environment, no matter of length of experience. We are expected to work as one team without bias to differences between customers, peers, and supervisors.

Advice to Management

I am part of Sleep Number management and believe we are never perfect, so we must be committed to listening to customers, employees and each other. I led a session with top sales performers to advise “management” on an important upcoming decision, and the top performers recommended two distinctly different strategies. The vote was 51% for strategy #1 and 49% for strategy #2. We agreed that ultimatly someone, or a small team, need to make the final call. My advice to every decision maker at Sleep Number is to gather diverse perspectives then decide with an explanation on “Why” it is best for our customers, “How” the decision was made, then “What” actions are needed.

"Sleep Number Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Midwest, WY
    Current Employee - Sales in Midwest, WY

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product along with a lot of great staff!

Cons

No transparency in regard to how Sleep Number comes up with store goals.

It is very frustrating to the sales staff when there are very clear and concise expectations for every single sales metric, yet there is no transparency in regard to how the company arrives at a sales goal for each store. Many months, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how store goals are calculated. And often, it looks like there is inequity among stores-some teams appear to be favored over other teams.

What many have heard from management in regard to this topic is that they should talk to their DMs and their RVPs for clarity. But what many have found when they have gone down this path, is that there is no clear answer received as to how the store goals are calculated. And many have commented how they have received political spin instead of a forthright answer.

The sales staff can be written up for failure to meet metric A, B or C. That’s the nature of the beast. But when a store goal appears to come out of left field with no clear reason as to why, it creates anxiety, distrust, and cynicism among the team.

Advice to Management

You really need better transparency in regard to store goals.

Jun 19, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

The goaling process is meant to fairly and appropriately challenge and reward stores and sales associates based on their performance.

Goals are calculated using a variety of factors that are... More

4. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Order Management Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Order Management Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic work environment and people

Cons

Downtown headquarters location and hours

Advice to Management

Communication communication communication

Jun 13, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Glad you're enjoying the work environment and team. We know the move to our new downtown headquarters is taking some getting used to for team members. Thanks for hanging in there with us during the... More

"Great people. Great product. Manager concerns."

Former Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Great product. Fun environment. You really feel like you are making a difference both internally and in the customers’ lives.

Cons

Career development non-existent in the area I was in. Significant favoritism. Completely understaffed in some areas which means work-life balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Remember that you’ve significantly grown over the years and staff accordingly.

6. "DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE COMMITTING TO THIS JOB!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, you can meet some life long friends, management listens to complaints & tried to advocate for change and growth, the pay, room for advancing to speciality teams

Cons

The attendance policy, the point system, you constantly feel like your rushing from the time you step into the building until the time you leave, the shift hours, the call queue sometimes is so high the entire shift,

Advice to Management

Pay attention to each member in your pod, inform your new hires of the attendance policy detail by detail for the first couple of weeks during & after the training process

Jun 19, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review – it’s great to hear from someone on our team in New Orleans!

In terms of the attendance policy, we pride ourselves on creating an amazing workplace... More

"Good pay drive too far"

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Houston, TX

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay structure awesome bonus

Cons

No work life balance drive too far

Advice to Management

Keep your employees closer to home. Just because you have a top performing store doesnt mean you can't move some salea people around. The store is based on volume. I drove over 50 miles a day because the MSL didn't want to move me to a top performing store

Jun 13, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Glad you felt good about the sales opportunity and compensation. Thanks for making a longer commute during your time with us -- we know that can be... More

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Regional Manager is amazing, travels and sacrifices a lot for his team

Cons

Much like any job sometime coworkers can come in and poison the well. These employees throw out baseless allegations and lies after they leave because they cannot perform

Advice to Management

Focus on better hiring and keep working hard the right people will come

Jun 13, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for stopping by to leave your review -- we appreciate the feedback. And definitely glad to hear you recognize your regional manager's efforts.

We are definitely focused on hiring great... More

"Good when the iron is hot"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Portland, ME

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

On the right team this can be a very rewarding and lucrative job. I have greatly enjoyed going to work and the compensation plan is well structured assuming your willing to earn your commission.

Cons

The in-store traffic did not always provide enough volume to make your monthly goal and upper management rarely took this into account when reviewing performance.

Advice to Management

Make sales goals more realistic. When your best sales people have a conversion of 60%+ (well above the average), and still cannot hit goal it is time to find new ways to drive more traffic into the store.

"Sleep Number has great opportunities"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

This is a great company to work for!

Cons

The management needs to be replaced.

May 22, 2018 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the feedback. And glad you're feeling good about your choice to join the Sleep Number team. If you have specific concerns about leadership, you can share them by sending an email to... More