Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Sleep Number Corporation President and CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great product along with a lot of great staff" (in 66 reviews)

• "Sleep Number is the best company I have ever worked for" (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "Small teams can be tough on work/life balance" (in 43 reviews)

• "Ever changing priorities of upper management" (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Smart Leadership, Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At no point do you ever feel like the tools to be successful at your job were not available to use. The company focuses on a mix of servant-leadership along with the push of constant growth and training. As a result of this mixed system, it feels like your leader is both taking care of you and push you to grow to help you do some extraordinary things.

There is also a huge focus on the the overall health and wellness technology aspect of the company that not only gives a great story to share with your customers but also family and friends.

What separates a job from a career is the ability to identify the value and passion you bring to both your customers and employees or lives and with that in mind, Sleep Number will truly never lack value or passion.

Cons

It is easy to get caught up with genuine engagement you get at work and as a result your work-life balance at times gets a little muddied. However, engagement in better transparency with employees has created a noticeable uptick in this. Being bold enough to request time enough should be encouraged and has translated to happier employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Being one of the most innovative companies in the industry means that sometimes our path looks harder, tougher and more callous than staying on the safe road. Please continue down this innovative path. The experiences, products and stories that we get to tell people not only create a stronger brand identity but allow us to engage with people on a separate level that resonates much louder. Some companies beat their dumb louder, Sleep Number just enjoys the music. You ask your employees in retail to be bold and have a genuine conversation everyday on solutions that will work for them. My ask for management is to be bold enough to keep innovating people, products and processes so we can keep telling our story to more people.

May 22, 2018 – Employer Brand

Wow! Appreciate the five stars! More importantly, though, your PASSION really came through -- for the company's vision and mission as well as for the customer. Thanks for everything you do to lead... More

2. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is not only focused on the bottom line, but truly cares about their employees.

Cons

If you don't hit sales goals or if the store doesn't you don't make much money.

Advice to Management

Keep up tje good work

Aug 16, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for leaving a review. Glad you can feel that the company cares for its team members. We appreciate everything you're doing to help customers sleep better!

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Expert in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Expert in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people go to glass door to speak poorly about a company.
    I'm not one of those people, I worked 5 1/2 years for Sleep Number and I have nothing to say but good thing about the actual company. I'm grateful for the opportunities that were given to me.

Cons

I have nothing to say on "Cons"

Advice to Management

Making transfers possible to higher volume stores for senior sales team.

Aug 16, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for the five stars! We always love to hear from people who see the opportunity here and grab it! If you're interested in transferring stores, be sure to talk with your sales leader so he or... More

4. "Great mission, tough work in IT"

Current Employee - IT in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product that you believe in

Some work from home flexibility, depending on your manager

Beautiful new corporate headquarters

Very competitive pay with the market

IT budget is large for a company of their size

Cons

Work life balance in IT support positions is brutal. You will work nights and weekends frequently

Personal development in IT is essentially non-existent

No real empowerment of any kind. Very common to have a VP involved in minor things

Most really good people have left the company or the department over the last few years and most of the remaining ones are trying to leave

Advice to Management

Many areas are understaffed and underfunded. Other supporting areas need a lot of attention, even if they don't get you face time with the business leaders.

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

Great Company
    Great Product
    Great People
    Great Leadership

Cons

None that I can think of!

Aug 1, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Wow -- five stars AND you used the word great four times! Glad you're having such a positive Sleep Number experience. All the best -- Kellie

"POS system slow, slower"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work overall, great product, can be very lucrative pay.

Cons

Computers very slow, with every update it gets slower. Customers are nice about it but complaining. Too many key strokes to complete the simplest of transactions. Marketing inconsistent, when marketing is stopped, no traffic in store and we were told to burn up the phones to customers we have already called too many times. This causes loss of sales and pay.

Advice to Management

Better job of working on updates to POS or even upgrade computers to be faster. Transactions taking way too long. Consistent marketing to help drive new traffic to stores.

7. "Needs overhaul"

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay , Great benefits 401(k) medical vision and dental

Cons

Wrong business hours should be 10am -8pm that is when Cusrmer shop This company does NOT Promote A “work Life Balance !!!!!!!”

Advice to Management

There’s a difference between those who manage and those who lead. The management here at sleep number are well equipped to manage paperwork orders scheduling lack in every area the ability to lead people inspire them to be the best that they can be and do.
     Where is the manager ensures that they don’t!

"Inbound sales Professional"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, PTO, peers, benefits and building

Cons

Commission structure, management, transparency, and communication

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate commission structure to be more competitive.

Aug 1, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Appreciate you sharing your feedback about the Inbound role. We agree that the culture and people are big pros to being part of this team. As for your advice to management, we have a new director of... More

"High paying for a retail position"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base pay plus commissions on sales means that you will make more than a typical retail position.

Cons

None really. The company is well run.

Jul 9, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review. We appreciate it and are glad you were happy with the compensation. All the best. -- Kellie

"Sleep Associate"

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

Health/dental insurance
    401k
    Potential to make a lot of money
    PTO

Cons

Horrible scheduling
    Barely any time off
    They say you’ll have a bunch of free time but you won’t.
    Months can be slow.
    Lots of time alone in store
    Not team oriented whatsoever
    Not enough people work in a store in order to have a fair schedule.
    You will most likely not make the money they tell you you will.

Advice to Management

Not enough people work in a store in order to have a fair schedule. Do not advertise a false salary and a false idea that a worker will get free time.

Aug 2, 2018 – Senior Program Manager, Recruitment Marketing

Really sorry to hear you didn't leave with a good feeling about Sleep Number. We staff our stores based on a variety of factors including sales volume to ensure we have enough coverage and our team... More