Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Sleep Number Corporation President and CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 64 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 49 reviews)

Cons

"Not much to look forward to"

Current Employee - Sales Expert
    Current Employee - Sales Expert

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay for almost doing nothing your manager will make or break the job for you

Cons

No support from higher ups the company
    does not care for its employees. Work life balance is pretty bad

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees and keep a closer eye on what your district managers and Regional managers are doing and how they act.

"I wanted to love this company but..."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product that really does help people sleep better. I left the company and still bought a new bed from them and plan to continue buying in the future. My coworkers and many of the people at my grade level were wonderful to work with.

Cons

Management is clueless and created a toxic environment for their direct reports. Seems to be very little accountability for problems and even less action on correcting problems when they are brought up. That became even more apparent after their ERP implementation went sideways.

Advice to Management

The problems start at the top. The board should replace most of the c-suite and the new leadership must take an active role in creating a healthy work environment for their employees. Spend some money and hire qualified and competent people for roles. I'm all for promoting from within but the people's skills should match the job.

"Great Company great product"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

Amazing culture and people first mission. From customer to employee.

Cons

POS system takes too long to ring out customers

Jan 3, 2018 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your feedback about working at Sleep Number. You're right --
     we've worked hard to build a great culture and to put people (customers and team members) first. Glad that's your... More

"Management not Truthful"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great product, a wonderful selling process and beautiful stores.

Cons

The company has poor management. Pay should be by dollar amount not ridiculous goals and should not depend on store performance. I started with the company in 1998 and have Managed a store as well. When moving to another state I was promised a new store to manage, however it was given to another person who left after 3 months of it opening as well as his staff. I was still not promoted and moved to the area I was living in. The new store I was working in located in the ghetto, went through 2 different managers that were hired off the street within a few months. I had to train them and when I was off sales were messed up and usually got cancelled. I had no choice but to find different employment. I couldn’t justify my pay going from $70,000 a year to $35,000 a year with no growth in my future with Sleep Number, a company I know well and sold there product well, with high KPI’s.

Advice to Management

Ask you’re high selling people to show what they do to put all the accessories on the ticket and let them be in a position to make the stores great by making sure everyone is following the process properly!

"Good training but management falls short"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay
    Some work life balance
    Chance to win bed
    Training is by far the best part of the job but a lot at first to grasp

Cons

Management is lacking
    Ups system is a joke and is based on manager
    Same sales all the time/ no incentive to build urgency
    Store goals not distributed correctly

Advice to Management

Be uniform. It should look the same company wide.

Jan 9, 2018 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you sharing your feedback. I'd like to touch on a couple of the items you mention.

Our ups system provides our sales teams a fair and equal opportunity to engage our customers and... More

6. "Sleep expert"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There’s none I’m one of the top sales people and you get treated like crap. The goals are crazy they do so that you never get your goal or store bonuses and top it all even if you do have a good month you have to sell 15,000 first before you get commission this place is a joke but it’s a pay check for now

Cons

If you can find a better job don’t work for them you can’t even feed your dog on what you make

Advice to Management

They have store managers that can’t do anything at all for anyone they are just a token

"Talent Acquisition Coordinator"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and AMAZING people! Upper management is very passionate about what they do!

Cons

Lots of ups and downs with workload, but is very well managed!

Dec 6, 2017 – Employer Brand

We agree that our people are amazing and passionate. Glad to hear that's been your experience as well! Thanks for everything you do to improve our team members' lives! -- Kellie

8. "dont do it. REALLY DONT!"

Current Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They dont make you pay for uniforms.

Cons

0 communication, poor management, treated like temp workers. NO MANAGEMENT but a lot of bosses.

Advice to Management

"Everything in the power of the universe to make that sale!" is what you should change your corporate motto to, then you'd be more honest. Your competitions to the delivery techs dont help keep people. While sales and internet driven teams get bonuses and free beds for doing their jobs your frontline people have become wholly disenfranchised and the only reason most havent left is they dont have time to look for new work. Let the face that sees the customer actually feel like part of the team not the neanderthals you treat them as. I swear you will see a better result than surveys based on perspectives and false promises

"Sleep Number is great if you don't work in Minneapolis"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Product. I have seen the company grow in our city since I was a kid. I was proud to work for them for years.

Cons

DO NOT consider Sleep Number for retail sales if you live in Minneapolis.

The company as a whole is doing well. They have had two record quarters. This is not true for the Minneapolis district, which is sad, since this is where the company is based. I have watched the Minneapolis district steadily decline for over two years now. The turn over rate for store managers has been high, and the turn over for sales people is one of the highest I have seen in retail. This should not be the case in a commission based structure if everything was working as it should. The goals of the Minneapolis district make absolutely no sense. Due to this issue, even a long standing district manager has turned over, and was most likely blamed for some of the shortcomings of others above her. The goals come from higher up the corporate ladder, and it has become increasingly apparent that they either have no idea how to properly set goals for Minneapolis or they simply don't care if this district turns over employees faster than a fast food restaurant. Many salespeople who had been with the company for years and years, who normally would be top producers, have left due to this ongoing problem. When you lose half a dozen of your top people in the entire company from just one district is less than a year, you have a massive problem. For over a year the district has performed in the bottom of all districts. The only months this doesn't happen is when the Minnesota State Fair takes place (only a handful of reps get to attend and sell there), and when a Friends and Family event happens twice a year (zero commission is paid on these sales). Other than those four months, most stores can expect to completely miss their sales goal or do barely well enough to pay their bills. In a normal month only 2 or 3 of the ten or so stores in the district will make their goal. The goals are also never consistent. One store might be goaled to be the #1 store for months due to sales volume & trends, then suddenly another store that sells much less is far above them for no good reason. This has caused dozens of employees to leave in just this district in the span of a year alone; it has also causes the ones who have chosen to stay to generally take massive pay cuts from what they have been used to. On top of that, they keep building new stores in Minneapolis, which further takes away from already declining paychecks. People who used to make 80-100k a year, now make 35-45k, if that. Upper management can respond and claim that they have a system for creating the goals for the districts. I do not doubt that. They might even say we could call and have them explain it to us. I will say in instead. Your system is wrong. It has been wrong. It is the reason you are losing so many good people. It is the reason this district is consistently in the bottom. You can't blame mangers and sales people when the turn over rate is so high that most of them are new. Maybe you should ask your employees if your goals make sense. Almost no one could truthfully tell you that they do (maybe only the newest store who gets goaled far lower than reality & their sales would dictate). Lower the goals for Minneapolis. If you take those 4 months out of the trend (MN Fair and F&F events), and for the other 8 months Minneapolis is in the bottom of all districts almost every month; your goals are wrong. You have turned over managers. You have turned over almost half of your sales reps if not more in less than a year. You have new beds and new marketing. You even have a new District Manager. If the district is still performing in the bottom; it is your fault.

Advice to Management

Replace whoever creates the goals for Minneapolis. You will be able to actually retain good employees, which will help you sell more. You are losing your top talent because you are letting someone continue to do a terrible job making goals for Minneapolis. They get punished with goals that make no sense because of what they do during the State Fair and Friend and Family. If they do so well for you during the State Fair and F&F, it should be the opposite. You should reward them. They should be able to get higher sales %s because they have those events. You choose to punish them instead. You don't even pay them for Friends and Family, but you sure add that amount into the goal. Pay people for Friends and Family (this would really only greatly affect Minneapolis: reward them for their work).

Jan 9, 2018 – Employer Brand

As the regional sales leader for Minneapolis, I find your review both concerning and disappointing. Because you raise a number of issues that are difficult to address in this forum, I’ll touch on... More

"Sleep Number is a Snore"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on beds. Structured 40 hour week. Strict dress codes, saves money on fancy clothes. Small showrooms. Only 7 products to learn and sell over and over and over.

Cons

My experience from the get go has been horrible and is still horrible to date because of my immediate store manager. Training was not facilitated at all and you get written up for poor sales, even when you are new. No complex problem solving or real challenges. Boring dress code, stores in mall suffer and the goals for sales are unrealistic. If your sales are below goal 3 times, you get canned, rather than encouraged.

Advice to Management

Some people really aren't a good fit for SN, but firing someone for not meeting sales goals seems a bit harsh. Reevaluate the training and strategies how to get them better. If a manager fails audits, seriously reconsider them.

Jan 9, 2018 – Employer Brand

I am very disappointed to hear about your initial on-boarding as well as your ongoing training and development. In 2017, we committed to delivering a focused approach to on-boarding that included... More