Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 1, 2017

Sleep Number Corporation President and CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 64 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Ever changing priorities of upper management (in 46 reviews)

"Not a Career"

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- It pays a pretty good salary plus commission which can be great if you do well.
    - Somewhat laid back culture.
    - Quality product that sells itself most of the time.

Cons

- They do not train or develop you in any way. You won't grow no matter how long you stay.
    - Corporate managers show unbelievable amounts of favoritism and are painfully passive when it comes to firing terrible employees because they "need to keep bodies in the stores"
    - Anytime sales are low they point to one thing... NOT MAKING CALLS. The problem is, we are only able to call past customers; which quickly turns into harassment.

Advice to Management

- Learn how to make the hard decisions
    - Quit playing favorites because it kills the culture of the company.
    - Invest in who you have more and you wouldn't have to worry about replacing them.

Nov 8, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thank you so much for your input – we always appreciate feedback on our policies and processes. Glad to hear that you feel that the opportunity for income is strong and that you feel you have a great... More

"It's a good job, but not perfect. It all depends on who your supervisor is..."

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exclusive product, proven sales system, good benefits, and good reviews by leading companies. They try to do the right thing in their mind, but some procedures are broken and need fine tuning.

Cons

Although they try to do the right thing all the time, some of their major components to their business has major flaws that eventually hurt their business.

Customer service for example needs to be re focused for customers because of the length of hold times, and Kurt attitude by some of their representatives.

The delivery drivers and install team should have better tools such as authorization to overcome unique customer situations found in each home.

Most of their sales managers in the stores are sales people who excelled at being great in sales, but lack integrity and leadership skills. The store managers don't even go through a structured training class, instead, they are handed the keys to the store and let loose.

Corporate store visits are somewhat unproductive as it is only a one way communication done with fear and intimidation. No one at the store level is comfortable reasonably discussing tough issues because of fear of backlash.
    There is a great disconnect between the field and corporate for this reason.
    They want the business without laying out a doable action plan that makes sense.

Advice to Management

Spend more time and attention to the operations part of the business, and come up with a new restructure plan on how to better listen to real opportunities that the field teams are facing everyday.

Nov 2, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your feedback. You raise a number of issues that are hard to address in this forum. Are you willing to reach our to your Regional Vice President to share your concerns? If not, are... More

3. "Home Delivery"

Pros

Lots of freedom day to day.

Cons

Uncaring and often stingy managers.

Advice to Management

Pay people a decent salary (livable wage) and you'd retain better talent.

Oct 26, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you stopping by to share your thoughts. We frequently hear that our home delivery team members enjoy the freedom this role offers. So, we’re glad to hear that’s been your experience as... More

"Great product - Logistical Challenges"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good pay.

Cons

Very little work life balance

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to help store managers and district managers from experiencing the dreadful burn out.

Sep 5, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you sharing your feedback about the store manager role. We know that retail hours can be a challenge -- thanks for working nights, weekends and holidays to help our customers know... More

"Great Opportunity for Some"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products are the BEST around. They truly do improve people's lives.
    My DM was the best manager I have EVER had....motivating and bringing out the best in his people. I will miss his leadership tremendously.
    There is a good amount of money to be made with Sleep Number.

Cons

The logistics of staffing in a 3 person store with all of the All Staff days are a nightmare. There is no way to give your people 2 days off and also have off yourself. Work/Life balance does not exist. I have missed a lot of time with my family in order to run my store.
    Home Delivery reschedules happen a lot more than they should.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the Matrix. There really should be a minimum of 4 people in every store.
    Also, HD should have a "Clean Up Crew" that catches reschedules due to DOT regs. and/or call offs. No customer should have to wait 2 weeks for a reschedule. That causes a lot of issues; lost commissions due to cancellations being one.

6. "Good Spring Board"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

Good place to start out, or ok in-between job.

Cons

You are put into an internal track

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities and compensate your employees

Sep 5, 2017 – Employer Brand

Glad you think Sleep Number is a good spring board -- but, we'd actually like you to see this as a place to build your retail career! In our most recent engagement survey, the sales team scored well... More

7. "Good Culture and Benefits, Poor Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good Culture and Benefits
    -Everyone seems very passionate about their work

Cons

-Work-Life Balance is not great
    -Unmanageable workloads

Aug 30, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about working at Sleep Number. We definitely agree that people here have a lot of passion (in fact, that's one of our new values we'll be announcing... More

8. "HD Driver"

Former Employee - HD Tech in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - HD Tech in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay with plenty of hours

Cons

difficult to balance life and work

Aug 2, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to share your experience with Sleep Number. We've heard from other HD techs that variable hours can be a challenge to work/life balance. Please know we're aware and are looking... More

9. "Not too bad.."

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

If the traffic is good so will your commission
    building relationships with your coworkers and customers

Cons

higher-ups seems two faced.
    customer service issue needs to be addressed so i wont loose out on my commission

Advice to Management

dont talk about your employees behind their back, we all eventually find out

Aug 2, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the feedback and glad to hear you're enjoying the relationship side of our business -- both with fellow team members and with customers. It sounds like you've had some interactions with... More

10. "Decent"

Current Employee - Sleep Associate
    Current Employee - Sleep Associate

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent. If you can sale big ticket items and good with follow ups you will be fine. Hopefully you get a good team and manager that make the store fun and time go by fast.

Cons

Very very very slow! Way to much down time. There's only so many calls, emails and postcards you can send to people. So there's a lot of sitting around staring out the windows and waiting for walk in traffic.