Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Sleep Number Corporation President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 64 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Ever changing priorities of upper management (in 45 reviews)

1. "Money is not worth the trouble with a struggling company"

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Strongsville, OH

Pros

The only good thing is the money.

Cons

Management is the worst of all the companies I've worked for. You don't get just one boss, you get 2 or 3 of them on you every week. Your store manager and then a market manager. The market manager mainly just complains and calls anytime something wrong happens. Which if something is going wrong in another store 300 miles away, you are going to have to listen to it and it just brings you down. It's really slow and boring but yet they put the words "fun atmosphere" in the application process to trick you. Have never met a person that actually liked the company, talk to any store in the nation and most would tell another employee secretly that it's boring and they are just there to collect a paycheck. Working at any of the stores in Ohio will get you this guaranteed.

Advice to Management

To pay attention when a sales professional tells you something. They are the front line and speak to the customers directly. Also pay attention to what your market managers are telling the sales professionals. The sales professionals should have 1 boss. When you get a bunch of people coming down on you for bad sales numbers, it's hard to get back up. If there is only 1 person like the store manager saying something to you, its a whole lot easier, but when the market manager knows, the whole state knows about it.

"Selling by Numbers is a joke Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Brea, CA

Pros

Good pay for little work
    Hourly pay + Commission + Bonus(monthly is store hits goal)
    Work less than 40 hours a week

Cons

The selling process is ridiculous "SBN", has to be done exactly as scripted
    Beds are way over priced, almost feel bad when you sell one
    Store managers receive very little training and abuse authority
    No upward communication at all

Advice to Management

Have district managers spend more time in stores and have more training for store managers.
    I would only see the district manager about once every 2 or 3 months. This absence gives the store manager way too much freedom do to whatever they please. Move store managers around every once in a while so they don't think the store is their home.

"Do you have a log for that?"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Easy product to sell. Clean showroom and scripted sales actually works for this product. Accessories are easy to sell.

Cons

I was fed up with everything I had to do and fed up with dealing with management. I have been written up at least once every single week over petty stuff that is all in my opinion part of the learning process but of course it must be documented so that there is a bank created should I need to be terminated for whatever reason.

I made mistakes on sales and as a result lost my commission on them. Where was management to look over sales orders and insure I was doing the right thing? I do not have the support or guidance from management as I worked with customers to insure I was complying with the plethora of company policies and procedures. Of course with a degree in psychology management can state that they were simply enforcing company procedures and I am the bad employee who won't comply. This company is insane with logs for every little thing and its rules surrounding any sales. I am surprised there isn't a log for farting. No real discounts offered to owners who are loyal customers to the SN bed.

I am required to call and harass people to the point of them not wanting to answer their phone and forced to leave a voice message. What does that say when a customer won't answer? They are no longer interested or not ready. How is my calling them every week going to do anything but annoy them. If they had actually been considering buying the bed but sincerely not ready to buy, my calls run the risk of them NOT buying the bed. Since I am new, I don't have 30 people to call every single day. So I must call 1 yr old leads that are more than likely dead leads!?! Crazy! Meanwhile all during that year, the company sends coupons upon coupons out to these leads and if they aren't interested, they aren't interested. how is my calling going to suddenly convince them differently other than bug them to the point where they don't consider buying?!

I thought I could bring something different to select comfort but with a log for everything, there was no way of doing things any differently than the scripted sales corporate expects and demands you follow. If you don't there is proof you didn't. No individuality allowed from your salespeople but become robots repeating rehearsed scripts. There is even a log for that?!I have never in my 20 yrs ever had this level of micro management to deal with. It forces the manager to be a jerk to people and there are numerous complaints on the glassdoor website about working for select comfort.

The income potential is not 50-60k but 30-40k. Any bonus has all these requirements to meet or you don't get it. And BREAD, how is bread let alone 5 lbs of it an incentive plus 14 criteria that must be met or no bread. I felt like doing a Broadway rendition of Oliver food glorious food when that came in. I want more please.

I overheard management speaking to an applicant who had already interviewed with another store manager who didn't want to hire him and the store manager was telling him how he would be a great fit and all, basically lying to this man who may overlook other job offers in his quest for employment. Is this what management did to me, not expecting me to actually make the move but when I did get here, out of some weird sense of obligation since I had traveled cross country hired me anyways.

I don't think management wanted me as an employee and that was made quite clear to me on more than one occasion with comments like "had I known such and such about you, I wouldn't have hired you" and said this in front of another employee.

All in all, I think select comfort offers a great product line and selling the bed is the easy part but all the nit picking paperwork and behind the scenes stuff makes the job miserable.

Advice to Management

Take your degree on psychology and turn on yourself! Be honest with employees and treat them with respect and not as a child. I don't feel I was getting the needed information in the format that has been set up by select comfort or it simply wasn't being presented to me in a way so that I could understand it. There has been allot of pressure placed on me by management to just perform when I didn't feel I had all the information to perform with. The only response I get is me being psycho-analyzed and the fact I should be doing this with all my experience. The training process needs to be followed as if I have never sold these beds before without any parts being skipped, even if it is stuff I already know. Every time the same information is given to me, I learn something more from it since it is given in a new format. I need to learn how Select comfort wants me to represent the product line. I hope management will be more patient and make sure people truly understand each step of the process and what is being presented to them. I didn't have this feedback from management and felt so pressured to just perform which built up allot of frustrations because I didn't fully understand what was being expected of me.

"Awful company for employees, great for customers!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The product is great. The people in the stores are great to work with. The money will is good for short term situations. Long term the increase in goals will kill you.

Cons

Awful management who could care less about the employee. The mentality is to burn and churn. They will wear you out by constantly micromanaging everything you do. From the time you enter the store you will be presented with checklists which include items like, "turn on the lights" (really, thanks) to open the doors for the customers. They will hound you to call the same 20-30 customers everyday until the customers are hanging up on you.

"Great product, not a great company..."

Former Employee - Sleep Professional
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are in a great location, you have an opportunity to make decent money. They have a great training program and the job itself is enjoyable.

Cons

Upper management is way out of touch with the reality of the stores. Unrealistic sales goals and they push you to call an hound the same customers over and over until they absolutely hate you. Absolutely 0 work/life balance. You will work every weekend, guaranteed. No matter how great you do, they will only focus on the bad! Exceeded your sales goal? Not good enough because you didn't sell enough mattress pads! 100% matt pads? Still not good enough because you didn't sell 2 pillows per bed. Always something so they don't have to say "good job!"

Advice to Management

Listen to your field sales reps! They hear customer feedback on a daily basis and that information is valuable. District Managers should be held accountable. The one I had never returned calls, emails, never had answers to questions. That district was completely self sufficient except for the ridiculously high and unfairly set sales goals. I would start there, stores need support!

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS! WORST COMPANY EVER!"

Current Employee - Quilter Operator in Irmo, SC
    Current Employee - Quilter Operator in Irmo, SC

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Select Comfort has a great product.

Cons

Employees are taught play dirty against coworkers to get ahead by watching as it is continuously rewarded by leadership leading to the Lobster Syndrome of tearing one another down throughout the organization. The result of bad leadership is low morale, high turnover, and a decreased ability to have any sustainable success.

Advice to Management

Bad leadership is felt throughout the entire organization of Select Comfort all the way from the east to the west coast. Corporate culture has become a meaningless term where leaders claim it exists while employees shake their heads in frustration. I guess the Leadership of the company doesn't care or reads these reviews, because we continue to head down the wrong path year after year. What will it take to turn this company around? The employees are clueless.

"Run like the wind"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number offers a very good product. Customers who own the product are very satisfied with their purchase and do recommend it to their friends & families.

Cons

Micro managed cult mentality. District Managers egos out of control. The company as a whole cares little of it's employees and are very petty in they're "management" approach.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money. Cease & desist the ridiculous redundancy in paperwork. If you would care to stop the never ending revolving door of retail employees.....I can help you.....but I cannot help you if you're stupid!

"Do NOT work there"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is most difficult to find twenty words for Pros on working for this company, whereas there are no Pros.

Cons

They have taken a very good product, and have turned their sales approach into a 3 pronged outdated and obnoxious system. One third carnival barker at the OZ.....one third boiler room telemarketing, harassing current owners of their product....the other third ....actually selling the bed....all the while brow beating customers into the highest margin add ons....

Advice to Management

Hand in your resignations

"Overworked, under appreciated, horrific work/life balance"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had met some of the most wonderful non management employees at this company.

Cons

The company lost it's direction approx. 8 years ago when it thought it was a large corporation. The compan has hired some of the most worthless people to run it. The VP's/ CEO(s) deny issues with the product and created a profit center with their warranty. The product has been redesigned to not last. If it lasts... how do they make money? They are horrid to their call center employees from customer service and now making their way into sales.

Advice to Management

Step down. You have all ruined the company. Know your employees, treat them right. You have lost the best employees you could have asked for.

"STAY AWAY!!!!! Poor upper management and constant sales theft from other employees"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There weren't any major pros to the position.

Cons

Company pins employees against each other to get sales by any means possible causing constant tension amung stores and sales people. There is no work life balance, you work 50-60 hours a week to be successful and some district managers will question you taking your day off. Belittling by your direct report boss who has no knowledge of the job in general. There is never any positive encouragement but constant attempts to break you down. Store manager is just a title, you can't hire, fire, suggest changes, or have any input into what your store does. One size fits all budgeting for every market.

Advice to Management

Look deeper into who you hire as leadership. Yelling at employees and telling them they are dumb when clearly they are much more intelligent than the person yelling is no recipe for success. People are more successful when they are appreciated for beating sales from prior years and listen to store managers as they know the business climate in their market best.

Sleep Number Corporation Response

Nov 5, 2013 – Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to see that you did not feel there were any pros to working for Sleep Number, and would like to understand more about your comments. Please reach... More