Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Sleep Number Corporation President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 64 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Ever changing priorities of upper management (in 45 reviews)

1. "It's a good job, but not perfect. It all depends on who your supervisor is..."

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exclusive product, proven sales system, good benefits, and good reviews by leading companies. They try to do the right thing in their mind, but some procedures are broken and need fine tuning.

Cons

Although they try to do the right thing all the time, some of their major components to their business has major flaws that eventually hurt their business.

Customer service for example needs to be re focused for customers because of the length of hold times, and Kurt attitude by some of their representatives.

The delivery drivers and install team should have better tools such as authorization to overcome unique customer situations found in each home.

Most of their sales managers in the stores are sales people who excelled at being great in sales, but lack integrity and leadership skills. The store managers don't even go through a structured training class, instead, they are handed the keys to the store and let loose.

Corporate store visits are somewhat unproductive as it is only a one way communication done with fear and intimidation. No one at the store level is comfortable reasonably discussing tough issues because of fear of backlash.
    There is a great disconnect between the field and corporate for this reason.
    They want the business without laying out a doable action plan that makes sense.

Advice to Management

Spend more time and attention to the operations part of the business, and come up with a new restructure plan on how to better listen to real opportunities that the field teams are facing everyday.

2. "Sleep Expert"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

Beat retail company to work for. You get to offer sleep solutions for customers in need and get paid great to do it.

Cons

There is a lot of down time, but one customer can make a huge difference

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Henderson, NV

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Product, Friendly Staff, Starting Pay

Cons

Unrealistic Goals for their Commission Base, Company does not have any Loyalty to Long term employees I was there 16 years let go because of age in a right to work state

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are your Greatest Asset, They work the Front Line

Oct 12, 2017 – Employer Brand

We value all of our team members and their contributions, and do not terminate or take any employment actions based on a team member's age. If you feel that you were treated unfairly due to your age... More

4. "Great company with great people all the way through!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Workplace Diversity, Income, Customer Interactions, Extremely Talented People in Upper Management!

I've worked here for almost two years, and I love it! Working here is SO much more than just selling mattresses. It's improving the lives of the people you meet on a daily basis! It's very rewarding, and the pay isn't half bad either! :)

Cons

Sometimes the work/life balance can be a little stressful. You have to make the most out of the pto hours, or you won't be as sharp! Lucky for this company, the strategy seems to be work hard, play hard!

Advice to Management

I can honestly say that this is a company that is always trying to improve. Whether it be their product, their customer service strategy, or the day to day life of their employees, they are ALWAYS evolving. So, my advice would be to continue doing what you're doing, cause it's working out pretty well!

Oct 12, 2017 – Employer Brand

Wow -- thanks for the 5 stars. Always a great feeling to know our team members would recommend that others join Sleep Number. We appreciate all of the lives you've improved during your time with... More

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Improving lives, compensation, good people, selling is fun here, great products.

Cons

Work/Life balance during sale periods can be challenging. Taking specific days off can be challenging.

Advice to Management

More recognition to sales teams.

Oct 3, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you enjoy improving lives and working with the team. As for retail hours -- we know they can be a challenge. So, we deeply appreciate our sales team working... More

"Questionable at Best"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Holladay, UT
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Holladay, UT

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Customers, Great Product you can believe in, fun team members, commission plus hourly, okay benefits, and paid time off

Cons

Work all holidays, awful management, company sets unrealistic expectations for goals, managers and district managers unqualified, small teams, hard to get time off

Oct 3, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thank you for your feedback.  Of course, we agree that we have great customers -- who we value tremendously -- as well as great products. Glad you feel that way, too.

That said, we were very... More

7. "Senior Manager"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing innovative company that tries hard to it right for the customers

Cons

Sometimes can he over demanding and the strategy can be hard to interpret

Sep 19, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the five stars! Glad to hear you're having a great experience with Sleep Number. And thanks for your commitment to improving our customers' lives. -- Arik

8. "Good place to work."

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money is good , District Manager is fair and honest, benefits/401k Positive vibes.

Cons

Goals, working weekends, extra responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Be fair, handle customer service issues so we can sell.

Sep 19, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the five-star rating! And, glad to hear you're feeling rewarded for your work, and feeling positive about your Sleep Number experience! - Arik

"customer service rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you will develop your ability to de-escalate people

there are good people that work there

Cons

management seems to be more concerned with enforcing new rules than improving customer experience.

letting customers down because you don't have an answer to why their delivery of their bed has been postponed three times and delayed months at a time.

no one really cares how bad the customer service is.

customers don't get notified that their bed delivery is being rescheduled until about 30 minutes before their 4 hour window starts. (after they've used their PTO to be at home for this time)

the amount of time in between calls is a more important stat than the surveys the customers complete at the end of the call asking how the customer service was (I was a quality over quanity kind of person)

there is a point system regarding attendance that is heavily flawed. (if you are over 6 minutes late you get the same consequence as someone who called in

less than stellar computer systems are common in this kind of job but the issues here can cause you to clock in late or return from break late and fighting the attendance team trying to prove what happened is another battle.

favoritism

you get a sense that your in school again with people monitoring the floor. not to offer help but to police cell phone usage for a few people that just don't get it.

disappointing so many people day after day

the other departments within the company that you have no choice calling, are unbelievably rude sometimes as if their annoyed they have to talk to you.

I've never had such a hard time getting a day off approved at any other job even with pto

I could go on and on

Advice to Management

I know numbers are important but so is the customer. At least make it seem like sleep numer cares about the customer. the cheapest bed is $799.

follow the rules that they are enforcing on others.

restructure the attendance team. They seem to not understand we are on the same team.

it could really be a good place to work if they just took a step back and focused on the customer experience .

Oct 3, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns – you raise some important issues (e.g., systems, absence policy). Rest assured we’re aware of them and are working hard to make things better. We... More

"If a friend was asking about working for Sleep Number I'd say run"

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time

Pros

Good product that does help some customers.

Cons

Everything else. Constantly losing income because of delivery and fulfillment issues of products. We sell it then we can't keep it sold because of countless issues. This has been an ongoing issue off and mostly on for 2 years.

Advice to Management

Hire better division leaders. To have such constant ongoing issues is unacceptable.

Sep 5, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Happy to read that you see the product improving customers’ lives. But, we know that also makes it harder when things don’t go exactly as planned... More