Sleep Number Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Sleep Number Corporation Reviews

Updated Jan 6, 2020

3.1
Sleep Number Corporation President and CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach
  1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very lucrative pay, when business is good. Excellent ongoing training and refocus on company priorities. My supervisor was great always allowed me to run my own business within company struture allowing me to be successful. Great product lineup, excellent quality.

Cons

Computer system is slow and selling process takes a long time to complete, then asking customer to stay additional time to set up Sleep IQ and Innercircle is frustrating for customer that just wants to get out of the store.

Advice to Management

Upgrade computers, kept hearing this would happen over the years but never did. State of the art beds being sold on 1990's computers.

Sleep Number Corporation2020-01-06
  2. "Great working atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent team environment, training modules are very educational.

Cons

Need to improve and make it easier to understand when sales process in the computers are being executed

Sleep Number Corporation2020-01-04
  3. "Was a store Manager.-Northeast."

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good money if your store hits bonus. Product is great and helps improve lives

Cons

Consistency and communication. People who work hard will be taken advantage of and made to do the DMs work with broken promises and when the work is done they will be tossed aside. Nothing is ever good enough. The DM manages with intimidation and bullying. The favoritism is crazy and if your not one of the cool kids your out. When you ask for help you are made to feel incompetent. Everybody is scared for there job in the district. There is no integrity. When I started Sleep Number, I was so excited to be part of Sleep Number family but it is so sad that it is so dysfunctional in this district.

Advice to Management

Train the DM on how to treat people and to be more hands on.

Sleep Number Corporation2019-12-26
  4. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Silverdale, WA

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good money Flexible hours Long training period

Cons

Bad management Worked a lot of holidays A lot of mandatory meetings

Advice to Management

Better manager training. Find better ways to teach them how to defuse/not create drama.

Sleep Number Corporation2019-12-17
  5. "Store Manager - Northeast"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is good when you are making plan. Product is great and really helps change a lot of lives.

Cons

Lately there is more micro management happening. No consistency with communications. People who try to work hard and move up will be taken advantage of to get all they can out of them. I’ve seen it happen to a lot of people. If they like you then you may be safe. If they dislike you they will find whatever they can to get you out. Certain people will makes promises and berate you on whatever they think is correct. Nothing is good enough. When your struggling you are treated like you all of a sudden forgot how to do your job. There are definitely favorites and everyone can tell. The integrity the northeast is suppose to pride itself on has gone down year after year. This was a company when I started I thought I found my home and now it’s consistently just getting worse. No wonder so many people have left and the amount of people who don’t want to be here. The turnover has been crazy in the last year and I just see it getting worse.

Advice to Management

Treat your team on the front line with more respect. Don’t forget we are the ones who are helping customers understand why Sleep Number. Get customer service on the same page. The sad thing is most of us believe in the product we are just losing faith in the company.

Sleep Number Corporation2019-12-17
  6. "What?"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

health insurance is pretty solid

Cons

management is subpar and overly bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Where do you get these people?

Sleep Number Corporation2019-12-15
  7. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Sleep Professional

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay and oppertunity to learn

Cons

High turnover with manegement

Sleep Number Corporation2019-12-09

"Great company, toxic IT culture"

Current Employee - IT Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company is growing like crazy. Many neglected areas are finally getting an influx of money after being starved for years Really nice, brand new headquarters in Minneapolis near the convention center. Lots of collaboration spaces and a ton of great A/V equipment. Tons of growth opportunities for Women and Middle eastern men. Heavy technology focus for a manufacturer and retailer. The bonus system is very clear, is tied directly to company performance, and cannot be changed.

Cons

Culture has become toxic the last few years. You must be able to deflect blame and steal credit in order to survive. It was a really cool culture of "one" for many years after they almost went out of business. Internal promotions to leadership positions are all but impossible unless you are a woman or an Indian male. IT leadership is overwhelmingly white men, but they are only hired externally. Anyone can apply, but you will just be going through the motions if you are not from one of those scenarios. It is done in a subtle, passive aggressive manner, but women are actively dismissed often by the IT leadership team. Prepare for a lot of mansplaining if are a women and have an opinion or idea that differs from anyone director and above. Most of the quality talent has left the company and what is left is there because they do not have any other options. At least 90% of new people that you would want to stick around do not even make it a year before moving on.

Advice to Management

You really need to take a look at your top leadership in IT and the culture they are fostering. I honestly do not know how it can be fixed as the team that would have to lead in fixing it would likely need to fire themselves to do so. Leadership has shown up in the employee engagement survey as the main thing that needs to change every single year that I have been here without a single action done to change it.

Sleep Number Corporation2019-12-02
  9. "Review"

Current Employee - Field Service Controller

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

excellent work life balance

Cons

Not transparent, not much opportunity for advancement

Sleep Number Corporation2019-11-24

"Commission puts bandaids on deep wounds"

Current Employee - Digital Chat Experience Professional in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commission for chat sales, lovely building, great coworkers, bonuses if company does well. Company is diversity friendly.

Cons

Low base pay, high stress, overwhelming, abusive customers, not enough power to resolve customer issues. Sometimes policies for resolving tech issues are unclear. Websites needed for resolving customer issues break often. Excessive requests for mandatory overtime during holidays.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers more about stress, you might be able to reduce turnover.

Sleep Number Corporation2019-11-14