Sleep Number Corporation Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Shelly Ibach
  1. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent, but not a lot of movement

Cons

lots of pressure, management rides hard.

Sleep Number Corporation2014-10-26

"Pay is horrible for a true sales pro."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

For retail sales the hours are great. There is always a team at the store and one can work shifts instead of a full 11 hour day. The product is very nice and sells itself. Easy job, you rarely have inventory counts, you never order product, and you basically sit around waiting for guests. Advancement opportunities are few and far between since the company is fairly small in comparison to other mattress retailers.

Cons

The product is a bit pricier than other entry level mattresses in the market (for some it may be too much for even the starter sleep number model). Pay structure is TERRIBLE for a commission sales person. Expect 35-55k. Even if you are a TP performing salesperson, the commission payout is on a sliding scale based off of store percent to budget. Basically they move the goal post mid game. VERY HARD TO EARN A GOOD... PAY. If you sell an 8k bed, expect 200 bucks.... terrribleee!. It is a 2.5% commission IF your store hits budget. If not, expect less than 2.5%

Advice to Management

Fix your pay structure, or you will lose a ton a good sales people. This is not a product that anybody can sell. It's not easy getting people to spend 2-8k on a matttess.

Sleep Number Corporation2018-04-15

"Declining sales opportunity."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Truly innovative product. Reasonable hours for retail.

Cons

I worked for Sleep Number as a sales associate for 7 years. Consistently a top performer in my district and and just missed national Presidents club. Found it necessary to seek new employment as my compensation dropped 33 percent in one year. The company is opening up more locations which is fine if you adjust the current store budgets to reflect the new realities of business. The company picks and chooses which... store will be allowed to make money based on their own biases by setting either unrealistically high monthly budgets or for certain stores low budgets. The top management is extremely aloof and condescending. The company takes poor performing managers and moves them to different stores instead of finding a better suited position for a manager. (sales) Used to be decent company to work for but has become inconsistent with work environment and pay become unsatisfactory.

Advice to Management

In a time of low unemployment and plentiful job opportunities its not a good idea to lower compensation. Including the ridiculous WOW incentive system. Also budget stores based on a verifiable mathematical system as opposed to whoever they like that month. In addition, don't penalize long term employees with unrealistic budgets when opening up new stores only a few miles away. Then expecting the employee to take... a massive pay cut through no fault of there own. Finally stop over engineering a product that already performs well.

Sleep Number Corporation2018-03-21

"Pressure and Micro-management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's great if you enjoy enduring 54 online training modules and co-workers who confuse to lay and to lie.

Cons

Building value in an overpriced air mattress, foam, and a pump is a tough sale. Lousy commissission structure.

Advice to Management

Pay employees commission on every sale...not, after the first $15,000.00. Or, make it retroactive.

Sleep Number Corporation2018-02-09

"Sleep Expert"

Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training, proven sales methodologies that help sell beds.

Cons

Long hours, no days off on weekends or holidays, no balance for family life.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that embraces the importance of the sleepnumber culture balanced with your family culture.

Sleep Number Corporation2017-06-02
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The compensation is very good! Management is supportive and the training is very thorough. It is a rewarding job where you can build a relationship with the clients.

Cons

May be hard to find work-life balance because of the night and weekend hours that you work, which is typical for a retail position. They will work with you as much as possible though.

Advice to Management

Check on employees on a regular basis to make sure they are getting the upport and opportunities for advancement that they desire!

Sleep Number Corporation2014-12-30

"Good place to work for many years now not so much at least for Inside phone sales positions"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits ok fellow employees great good working conditions.

Cons

Commission structure in constant flux goals much too high for the call volume. Company not supporting the phone sales people at all the focus is on sending people to the stores or the website only.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees sometimes they do know things that can help you. Surveys have been done several times with similar results each time but little action to correct the problems.

Sleep Number Corporation2013-07-19

"sleepnumber stores"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good product, lots of advertising

Cons

maximum pressure to meet goals. goals not chosen rationally, sometimes! good job for a couple of years, then it seems company prefers new employees, regardless of success of more tenured

Advice to Management

become more attuned to your field employees

Sleep Number Corporation2012-12-09

"Do you have a log for that?"

Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation

Pros

Easy product to sell. Clean showroom and scripted sales actually works for this product. Accessories are easy to sell.

Cons

I was fed up with everything I had to do and fed up with dealing with management. I have been written up at least once every single week over petty stuff that is all in my opinion part of the learning process but of course it must be documented so that there is a bank created should I need to be terminated for whatever reason. I made mistakes on sales and as a result lost my commission on them. Where was... management to look over sales orders and insure I was doing the right thing? I do not have the support or guidance from management as I worked with customers to insure I was complying with the plethora of company policies and procedures. Of course with a degree in psychology management can state that they were simply enforcing company procedures and I am the bad employee who won't comply. This company is insane with logs for every little thing and its rules surrounding any sales. I am surprised there isn't a log for farting. No real discounts offered to owners who are loyal customers to the SN bed. I am required to call and harass people to the point of them not wanting to answer their phone and forced to leave a voice message. What does that say when a customer won't answer? They are no longer interested or not ready. How is my calling them every week going to do anything but annoy them. If they had actually been considering buying the bed but sincerely not ready to buy, my calls run the risk of them NOT buying the bed. Since I am new, I don't have 30 people to call every single day. So I must call 1 yr old leads that are more than likely dead leads!?! Crazy! Meanwhile all during that year, the company sends coupons upon coupons out to these leads and if they aren't interested, they aren't interested. how is my calling going to suddenly convince them differently other than bug them to the point where they don't consider buying?! I thought I could bring something different to select comfort but with a log for everything, there was no way of doing things any differently than the scripted sales corporate expects and demands you follow. If you don't there is proof you didn't. No individuality allowed from your salespeople but become robots repeating rehearsed scripts. There is even a log for that?!I have never in my 20 yrs ever had this level of micro management to deal with. It forces the manager to be a jerk to people and there are numerous complaints on the glassdoor website about working for select comfort. The income potential is not 50-60k but 30-40k. Any bonus has all these requirements to meet or you don't get it. And BREAD, how is bread let alone 5 lbs of it an incentive plus 14 criteria that must be met or no bread. I felt like doing a Broadway rendition of Oliver food glorious food when that came in. I want more please. I overheard management speaking to an applicant who had already interviewed with another store manager who didn't want to hire him and the store manager was telling him how he would be a great fit and all, basically lying to this man who may overlook other job offers in his quest for employment. Is this what management did to me, not expecting me to actually make the move but when I did get here, out of some weird sense of obligation since I had traveled cross country hired me anyways. I don't think management wanted me as an employee and that was made quite clear to me on more than one occasion with comments like "had I known such and such about you, I wouldn't have hired you" and said this in front of another employee. All in all, I think select comfort offers a great product line and selling the bed is the easy part but all the nit picking paperwork and behind the scenes stuff makes the job miserable.

Advice to Management

Take your degree on psychology and turn on yourself! Be honest with employees and treat them with respect and not as a child. I don't feel I was getting the needed information in the format that has been set up by select comfort or it simply wasn't being presented to me in a way so that I could understand it. There has been allot of pressure placed on me by management to just perform when I didn't feel I had all the... information to perform with. The only response I get is me being psycho-analyzed and the fact I should be doing this with all my experience. The training process needs to be followed as if I have never sold these beds before without any parts being skipped, even if it is stuff I already know. Every time the same information is given to me, I learn something more from it since it is given in a new format. I need to learn how Select comfort wants me to represent the product line. I hope management will be more patient and make sure people truly understand each step of the process and what is being presented to them. I didn't have this feedback from management and felt so pressured to just perform which built up allot of frustrations because I didn't fully understand what was being expected of me.

Sleep Number Corporation2011-02-26

"Ok job to use as a stepping stone to new and better opportunities outside of the company."

Sales Representative

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation

Pros

Under 40 hour work week....for a sales job that is rare. Good benefit package.

Cons

Many changes happening during the difficult economy....restructuring pay and commission that results in less pay. But, the management tries to spin it as a great opportunity and a great change that wont result in a reduction in pay. They try the same marketing and SALE ideas over and over. Little change in the approach to drive sales and create more interest in thier product. Select Comfort is where I... experienced insanity; trying the same approach and hopeing for a different result.

Advice to Management

Time for a change at the top. Better training for store manegement. Good sales people dont always mean they will be good managers. People skills, leadership, coaching and training abilities should out weigh past sales numbers of potential store managers.

Sleep Number Corporation2009-04-27