Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 57 reviews)

• Sleep Number provides ample opportunity for those who are driven and self motivated to elevate their career (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 42 reviews)

1. "So easy it's boring"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, easy sell, great teammates, competitive district, hearing that we're improving people's lives with our beds is nice. The beds literally sell themselves

Cons

Store is almost always dead. I sometimes go an entire 8 hour period without seeing one customer. Hard to make good commission. Home Delivery sucks so much. They almost always are the reason I lose the sale post transaction.

Advice to Management

Close up dead or dying stores.

2. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Sleep Number is the best company I have ever worked for. Upper management asks and listens to what you have to say. You get to improve people's lives and get compensated generously.

Cons

There is little work life balance

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the five stars! Great to hear working for Sleep Number has been such a great experience for you. We agree that improving lives is one of the biggest pros of working here. That said, you ... More

3. "Sales expert"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great product, innovative company

Cons

Retail hours are difficult on family life

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

WOW -- love the five stars! We agree that we're an innovation company offering a great product, but of course it's always nice to hear that from our team members. Appreciate you working retail hours ... More

"Too Bad Really"

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experience with daily operations of a business. Customer service.

Cons

False promises of growth within the company. Difference in management and over all culture and values from market to market.

6. "Performance driven career"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Get paid well if you can sell plus competitive base pay. Recognition for job well done. Awards trip at end of year for top performers. Nice bonus structure for managers. Company built an entire website for recognition/ contests/ and prizes.

Cons

Can be a lot to learn in the beginning for some individuals. A lot of computer work so it can be hard for some individuals to comprehend and learn a new system.

Advice to Management

Best job I've ever had

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts and leave us five stars! Glad you feel good about the compensation, recognition and incentives. And definitely appreciate you mentioning the new ... More

7. "Home delivery"

Current Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

Pros

Great co worker. They set you up to succeed and love the atmosphere. Best job I have had overall and look forward to coming to work every day I'm scheduled. It fun getting to interact with the customer and seeing how happy they are.

Cons

Low work hours. I Average 25-30 hours a week. So I recommend giving us more hours or boosting our pay to set back the hour situation. Another issue is the sales people promising the customer stuff that we can't install or take with us.

The manger says they will get better hour wise but I heard that for a year straight. With no change and they keep hiring new people so our hours keep going down. I don't understand why hire all these people when you can't get us 30 hours a week......

Advice to Management

Get us some more hours.. with out us you wouldn'tsucceeds. I was promise full time hours and I'm barely getting 25 hours a week.

Boost the pay or give us more hours.

Apr 4, 2017 – Employer Brand

Really appreciate you leaving a review about your Sleep Number experience. We hear from a lot of our home delivery technicians that their co-workers and making customers happy are the best parts of ... More

"Former Store Manager...Miss the money, not the company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission and bouns is incredible, you can make a lot of money here, but it comes at a very high cost.

Cons

Extreme micromanaging even and especially if you are a manager. 12 hour days and over 60 hours a week. Don't expect to see your family and friends often, even if you have a "day off" they will find a reason to make you come in, and there are consequences if you don't. Definitely a churn and burn, they even admitted that the average retention rate for a manager is 15 months.

Advice to Management

Let employees forge their own path, if they are successful, encourage them to keep doing what they are doing.

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the time you spent with us and the lives you improved as part of Sleep Number. The St. Louis market has been one of our most historically challenged market around results and customer ... More

9. "It was a good experience. The hours and holidays can be difficult, but that is the retail work life."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn how to sell high end goods. The commission is decent and the employee discount is pretty good. I would get a new bed if you work there.

Cons

Management like everywhere is always coaching and can constantly change their sales philosophy depending on the new products released. Not any worse than a lot of other retail companies.

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Ah yes, retail hours -- we know they aren't for everyone. Thanks for acknowledging that it's just part of the retail life. Appreciate the time you spent with us and all of the lives you improved as ... More

"MSL"

Current Employee - MSL in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - MSL in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number is by far one of the most rewarding, strategic, challenging, thoughtful and competitive companies I have had the privilege of working for! The store teams are talented, customer focused and driven to deliver excellence and our executive team is dedicated, professional, talented and compassionate. I am proud to be a part of this wonderful company!

Cons

I am having a difficult time finding a con as this companies pro active approach to making Sleep Number a beloved brand & place of employment has ensured that when we have had a area to improve we have done so in a thoughtful and humble manor!!

Advice to Management

Continue to lead us in the positive and constructive manor you have and thank you for your mentorship.

Mar 24, 2017 – Employer Brand

WOW -- thanks for the five stars! Really glad to hear you're having a good experience with Sleep Number. And we agree, the store teams ARE awesome. Thanks for your leadership and positive attitude ... More

"Great pay, horrible upper management"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Columbia, SC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved our store and our team. Really felt like we made a difference in customers lives. Worked three years with the company and achieved Sleep Expert. Pay was great! Product and customers were top notch. Benefits were great, profit sharing, vacation, and health insurance. Hours worked were great and conducive to family.

Cons

Upper management was horrible. The dm would visit and kill store morale every time. I don't understand negative reinforcement... just doesn't work!!! We are encouraged to take vacations, but if you miss your month... shame on you! The micro management was becoming a nightmare. Send numbers in each night, log calls, fill out activities, and call these horrible call list that never amount to sales. The breaking point was a qbr after back to back good months. I achieved record sales for our store and the message still ended up negative. I have to be happy at work... not worried about job security and the next dm visit. Using write ups are not motivating... when I missed a month the lack of pay in my commission was motivation enough.The dm would reprimand you in front of other employees and try to get you to give up dirt on your store manager and work colleagues. That amazes me because we are a above average store and that is part of their job is to spend time with the manager and go through paperwork. All the questions we were asked could be answered if the dm did the work. We had a solid team... and lost half of it due to poor management,and upper management.

Advice to Management

You hire great people. I loved the team I worked with. They were like family to me. We were all invested in helping each other and keeping our store rolling. If upper management treats them bad, no matter how good the money may be, they will leave! Stop the petty micro management. We are there to make money... you should focus on training of how to use the software we have to work solely off our leads, and use the self generated leads as secondary or for new hires.

Mar 29, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and for all of the lives you improved during your three years with us. We always love to hear what people enjoy about being part of our team – of ... More