Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 57 reviews)

• Sleep Number provides ample opportunity for those who are driven and self motivated to elevate their career (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 42 reviews)

"It has become a sad place to work"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Moosic, PA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The core product is like no other. The actual sales process is thorough and gives the illusion that the company truly wants to improve lives through better sleep.... dig deeper and you realize it is only to make the higher ups in corporate richer with no regard for those at the bottom of the "food chain."

Cons

The extraneous products, the pay structure, the business model, the claim that concerns are anonymous, the way the company devalues employees, delivery on promises to customers post sale, Siebel still has huge issues after 17 months of implementation, COMMUNICATION IS HORRENDOUS THROUGHOUT THE COMPANY, expectations indicated by the inflated and all but unreachable goals.

Advice to Management

I really can't offer any more advice than I have offered and been shot down about because of the politics involved in this company. Sadly, it wasn't always like this. The company seemed to care about its employees and customers 8 and a half years ago when I was hired as a Store Manager. Throughout my career at Sleep Number, I was a valued member of a team, successful in running a store and assisting my District Managers when the opportunities presented themselves. Two of my employees were promoted to managers and I trained or assisted in training 2 other successful managers.

Because of personality differences and healthy differences of opinion, I have been passed over for 2 promotions back to manager after I transferred to another district as a Sleep Expert (a personal decision made to relocate to another area of the country at my request.)

In the short time I have been in my newly assigned district, I have seen decisions made based on politics and personality, not performance. I have seen managers and stores excel by breaking rules and policy, I have assisted in the training of my immediate manager hired from outside the company because of the aforementioned differences I have with my District Manager and helped set up a new store for another manager hired from the outside. A store in which I expressed an interest in running.

Many will read this and think that I was, perhaps, not qualified to run a store. My history as a store manager would prove otherwise.

If you work for this company, you are only as valuable as your last sale. The tides can turn for you in a Nee York minute. Enjoy it while it lasts, one wrong move and you will be gone. Have another option on the back burner...you will need it.

I left the company of my own free will to seek greener pastures. No job or company is perfect, but, this one is going the wrong way.

Mar 8, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to share your experience. It’s clearly disappointing to us that you left with this impression of Sleep Number. As an eight-year employee, you no doubt had a variety experiences ... More

"Dont work there"

Former Employee - Sales in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Spokane, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 3 years)

Pros

Checks dont bounce not sure what other pros there are. Oh i guess the heat usually works. So your not cold.

Cons

You do well they give you a much bigger budget to make near impossible to make same money. Upper management does not care about you. They blame sales people for everything and love to micro manage. My family poonts out how much more relaxed i am since i left that company. There customer service is horrible and is there computer system.

Advice to Management

Get rid of any mangager regional or districrt who have never worked the sales floor. They have horrible negative management styles. Its shameful to treat employees the way sleep number does. Everyone is looking for another job at the store levels.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience at Sleep Number. I know you've left the company, but I want to assure you that Andy and his leaders definitely care about our sales team. We're not ... More

"call center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

Not much, you could wear jeans all week if you wanted.

Cons

Where to start. Very unprofessional. People wore tight leggings daily. Some people not friendly to anyone, it was not a good sight to see when you first start. I could tell people didn't like there jobs.
    They have a 7-point attendence (problem ) I saw excellent people get fired do to reaching 7 points. Points are given for late to work, late from break or lunch. Many people would have a very good reson to call in. Well when you start you have no PTO/SICK time and people would come in sicker than a dog and get others sick. Because I think it was 2 or 3 points if you took off and hsd no PTO to use--Even if you were in the hospital-no exceptions. This causing fear of job loss right out of the gate..No one especialy a parent needs that kind of stress. Sure doesn't make you want to go above and beyond for your new employer. Also people would do call backs or speak to co workers or supervisors during there breaks, they give no project time, thus causing late returns from lunches and breaks...And get this no clocks around with the exception of the fridge room. And the computer clock is not accurate per notice from the company. I have never seen a company waste investors money. I think they need to get rid of current call center management. And look at how to run a successful call center with little turn around. Many, many companies do it. Get this in spite of this my coworkers being nice on the phones and very helpful to customers...what they could have with MN. Nice)

Advice to Management

To CEO look at my notes and get rid of your call center management. My god to have customers wait over an hour on the phone...put your self in the customrrs shoes...what the heck.. Delivery is such a problem as well. I'm not sure why but what the company charges is crazy and a service call with no products and charge that as well yes The $179.99or more...a good product is not the company. You need to have NORMAL HOLD TIMES - and a reasonable charge for a service call. This could become a company, just don't focus on product only. Good Luck I really hope you listen to me and all the unhappy customers, and bring this company back to better values and good service.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you leaving the review but are definitely sorry to hear your experience with us was so disappointing. We absolutely agree that it is unacceptable to make our customers wait in order ... More

"Passive aggressive leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

Pros

The product and employee discount is good.

Cons

Leaders do not empower their people. There is a lack of prioritization. Lack of interest in opinions of others. Not a good culture for experienced professionals.

Nov 21, 2016 – Employer Brand

Clearly your review is disappointing and we’re sorry this was your experience. We know that the incredible amount of change we’ve been through in the last few years has been challenging – for our ... More

"Run the other way"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Co workers and the customers I help. The products are decent.

Cons

Where do I begin? I have been with Sleep Number for 5 years now. It is not the company it used to be. The goals are unattainable which makes for a very stressful work environment. These days, I feel mostly like a telemarketer on the phone with so much down time. I sometimes feel a sense of guilt selling the customers that do come in. The company tells us to listen to our customers and sell them what they need, but if you don't make your numbers, you will get written up....so push the customer to buy things that you know deep down won't benefit them. Promise delivery dates that most likely will not be met and when the customer calls you about not getting their bed, lie to them...bad business. Upper management uses fear to try to motivate sales pros. There is little communication from MSL.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Listen to your sales pros, we are in the store. Stop acting like everything is okay and address people's concerns instead of sweeping it under the rug.

"Make sure you have a life insurance policy."

Former Employee - HOME DELIVERY/INSTALLATION TECHNICIAN in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - HOME DELIVERY/INSTALLATION TECHNICIAN in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

14 Dollars an hour is a lot more than you'll get paid to be a security guard, or a warehouse worker.

Cons

Don't listen to anything the hiring guy tells you. You will be expected to work 14 plus hours a day, 5 days a week for months at a time. Your boss will call you and tell you to manipulate your time clock to conform to DOT regulations. Your boss will use this as an excuse to fire you whenever he feels like it. Record all of your conversations with your supervisor.

Advice to Management

Spend a week every year helping an HD tech.

Jun 1, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

Protecting our employees’ safety is a responsibility Sleep Number takes very seriously. As such, we have a strong commitment to all safety, compliance and Department of Transportation (DOT ... More

"This job is temporary employment for most."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Store Managers and most salespeople are awesome. Decent pay occasionally.

Cons

It's all about the mighty dollar. They claim to really care about their employees. They have yearly "confidential" surveys that are not confidential. Every DM gets the results by store and with 4 employees per store it doesn't take long to figure out where the discontent is, then you are simply managed out. Employees are numbers not people with families and bills. DM's set your goals and it is all about favoritism. Some stores may get a goal of 5% over last year and a store 10 miles away may get a goal of 40%. If your the DM doesn't like the manager he will be gone in 3 months. Benefits are terrible. Vacation is generous but you can't take them during promotions, which are a constant. Terrible Customer Service. Terrible sexist CEO. Wanna move up? You have 10x better odds if you have breasts.

Advice to Management

If you cared 1/2 as much about the people that make your company successful on the front lines as you do about the almighty dollar your sales would skyrocket. Its hard to be motivated when you realize if you have a lousy month for no fault of your own you will be fired. Cut Shelly Ibachs pay down from 5+ million a year and spread those almighty dollars to the people that earn them.

Apr 29, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

Sorry you feel the results of our annual engagement survey aren’t confidential – they definitely are. In fact, we can assure you that we don’t report survey results for fewer than seven people – the ... More

"Need a new job"

Current Employee - Air Controls in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Air Controls in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

When managers leave us alone we can get our numbers and work done. Pay is ok

Cons

Its time to start looking for a new job. They can't keep us working at least 40 hours we are all part timers. I have worked there for a long time and every year its the same thing work is slow so you don't get your hours. Well balance the work. You have plenty of data of how many beds you need. When the work is heavy you have to almost beg to get a day off. Come on man.

Advice to Management

Change it from top to bottom. They only care about themselves like always. Oh wait there management they get there salary paid no matter what. Let me guess they probably even got bonuses this year. Very poorly managed company. Embarrassed to tell others where i work.

Apr 13, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to post. We understand the frustration that comes when business needs require a fluctuation in your expected hours, and we know this can be difficult for affected ... More

"Need Union Here"

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in New York, NY

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent but way over priced product.

Cons

Greedy management that just wants to keep stock holders happy at the expense of the sales people.

Advice to Management

You should try to listen to your employees and not just listen but ACT. You are great at going through all the motions of caring but the general consensus is that you just don't care.

Apr 13, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

It is very important to us to keep not only our shareholders and customers happy, but our employees as well. If you do not feel that this is the case, or have additional concerns, I encourage you to ... More

"Time does not heal all wounds"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Fife, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product, good customers,

Cons

MANAGEMENT, sales expectations, absolutely horrible to customers, dishonest advertising and sales tactics, misinformation runs rampant,

Advice to Management

quit and let qualified people take over

Feb 5, 2016 – Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I would be happy to further discuss these issues with you, please feel free to contact us at careers@selectcomfort.com to further communicate your ... More