Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 57 reviews)

• Sleep Number provides ample opportunity for those who are driven and self motivated to elevate their career (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 42 reviews)

1. "Too Bad Really"

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experience with daily operations of a business. Customer service.

Cons

False promises of growth within the company. Difference in management and over all culture and values from market to market.

"Former Store Manager...Miss the money, not the company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission and bouns is incredible, you can make a lot of money here, but it comes at a very high cost.

Cons

Extreme micromanaging even and especially if you are a manager. 12 hour days and over 60 hours a week. Don't expect to see your family and friends often, even if you have a "day off" they will find a reason to make you come in, and there are consequences if you don't. Definitely a churn and burn, they even admitted that the average retention rate for a manager is 15 months.

Advice to Management

Let employees forge their own path, if they are successful, encourage them to keep doing what they are doing.

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the time you spent with us and the lives you improved as part of Sleep Number. The St. Louis market has been one of our most historically challenged market around results and customer ... More

"Great pay, horrible upper management"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Columbia, SC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved our store and our team. Really felt like we made a difference in customers lives. Worked three years with the company and achieved Sleep Expert. Pay was great! Product and customers were top notch. Benefits were great, profit sharing, vacation, and health insurance. Hours worked were great and conducive to family.

Cons

Upper management was horrible. The dm would visit and kill store morale every time. I don't understand negative reinforcement... just doesn't work!!! We are encouraged to take vacations, but if you miss your month... shame on you! The micro management was becoming a nightmare. Send numbers in each night, log calls, fill out activities, and call these horrible call list that never amount to sales. The breaking point was a qbr after back to back good months. I achieved record sales for our store and the message still ended up negative. I have to be happy at work... not worried about job security and the next dm visit. Using write ups are not motivating... when I missed a month the lack of pay in my commission was motivation enough.The dm would reprimand you in front of other employees and try to get you to give up dirt on your store manager and work colleagues. That amazes me because we are a above average store and that is part of their job is to spend time with the manager and go through paperwork. All the questions we were asked could be answered if the dm did the work. We had a solid team... and lost half of it due to poor management,and upper management.

Advice to Management

You hire great people. I loved the team I worked with. They were like family to me. We were all invested in helping each other and keeping our store rolling. If upper management treats them bad, no matter how good the money may be, they will leave! Stop the petty micro management. We are there to make money... you should focus on training of how to use the software we have to work solely off our leads, and use the self generated leads as secondary or for new hires.

Mar 29, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and for all of the lives you improved during your three years with us. We always love to hear what people enjoy about being part of our team – of ... More

"zzz - this job will put you to sleep"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The beds are a good product with definite benefits for people with sleeping issues.

Cons

No traffic in the store makes it difficult to make your quota to earn your commission. Days go by without a single person walking in the door. Computers are locked down so you cant go online. You'll stand there for hours doing nothing or you're cold calling existing clients during their dinner hour for add-on sales like sheets, pillows. These other "exclusive" products that you are required to offer (sheets, pads, pillows etc) can be purchased at linen stores for far less.

Advice to Management

Help stores drive traffic through targeted marketing campaigns that include local print, not just radio ads. Change the compensation program so that sales reps are paid on all sales, not after they sell $15k/mo. Stop the lipspeak about how you want your sales reps to have "moxie", because its obviously not appreciated...

Mar 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate your feedback. I shared your review with Julie – the regional vice president for your part of the country. She wishes she would have had the opportunity to talk with you before you left ... More

"Browbeatings kill morale"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Flexible hours, great work atmosphere

Cons

Constant hectoring from upper-level management to wring every last cent from existing customers without the slightest hint of concern for the income or workplace satisfaction of frontline employees.

Advice to Management

Spend vastly less time harping on your underlings to produce sales in accordance with your desired ranking among your fellow upper-level management cohort. Stop fluffing your bottom line at the expense of your sales force by imposing near-unachievable sales goals upon them in order to avoid paying bonuses. Stop increasing the daily workload on your sales force while slashing their incomes with purported "restructuring" of their compensation plans. Stop pinning the consequences of the unmitigated disaster of a software transition on people who had ZERO say in its implementation when they had performed their jobs satisfactorily prior to the transition. Honor the achievements of sales personnel that were accomplished prior to the implementation of disastrous "big ideas" that were stripped away by the failure of people who did not have to suffer the immediate consequences of their "big ideas". Stop pitting regions against regions, districts against districts, and stores against stores when you know damn well that the failure that have occurred over the past two years lie at the feet of people who had NO CONTROL over those failures.

Jan 23, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share what you like about working at Sleep Number and what frustrates you. We’re thrilled that you’re happy with your flexible hours and work environment, but your ... More

"Money and product was great"

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Medford, OR

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money for a retail sales job. Incredible product that can truly change people's lives. Insane first time discount on personal bed purchase.

Cons

Company doesn't care about you. Zero recognition for success. Poor leadership on almost every level. Logistics and customer care after sale are a joke.

Advice to Management

Work as a cohesive team/company. Reward your top people with praise and recognition. Handing out the prize to the top 136 people in a contest rather than rewarding the top ten with badass prizes is lame and doesn't make anyone strive to be the best. Just to be pretty good instead of great. Please do something about how you train people. Your current training regiment is a joke. Thankfully I had a good coworker who was willing to take me under his wing and develop me. The managers kept getting fired and so I was left with a store to run by myself without any extra pay and very little direction. If you're going to make a customer service number the only way for customers to get help then don't make it such a crummy wait time with barely competent people on the other end that are so unwilling to help people that they mistreat customers on a regular basis or they just flat out lie to people to get them off the phone.

"Sleep Expert"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great training program and opportunity to make pretty good money with the commission added to the low hourly pay. Also beyond your personal goal they set for you every month there is the store goal which can add another 500.00 a month to your paycheck which helps promote the employees to work together to close each others customers.

Cons

Be prepared that the work schedule is not what is discussed in the interview process- plan to work every weekend every holiday.. You get Christmas and Easter but expected to work the day before or after every holiday. Also lots of blocked dates that you can not take off even with your paid vacation time. This job does not lend itself to a family life balance at all. Expected goals and work load get higher and higher every year and are unreasonable and very stressful if you have a family to provide for. Also your life can be hell at sleep number if your anyone of the coworkers don"t play by the rules and unfortunately most do not because of the pressure to make goals or need to get paid. If you are a person of integrity this is not the job you ant to invest your time or effort in. I thought a company of this stature would would better understand the needs of the people that sell there product not just train them to be robots that turn employees against each other to make the companies unrealistic ever rising goals. Huge turnovers.

Advice to Management

Not sure why upper management put so much time in educating and selling the product to the floors team only to burn out the very associates that sell the product to the customers. The company makes huge profits yet the don't invest in the people that educated the public on the need for the product. Sad.. because the floor professionals all loved selling the sleep number products but must can not handle the retail work hours, competitive environment or what it turns hard working people into.

"Delivery Technician do all the front line work with little pay."

Former Employee - Home Delivery/Technician in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Home Delivery/Technician in Auburn, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product. The benefits and discounts for employees are good too.

Cons

As a delivery tech, you really don't get paid what you're worth. We went far and beyond the company's expectations to ensure customer satisfaction. Living up to promises that sells representatives gave some customers was challenging on a daily basis. We all had to work long hours and jump through a lot of hoops. After all that, we get passed up for bonuses. The company is very wasteful as well. I witnessed the disposal over about 10k in products being thrown away. Products which could have been sold cheap to employees or donated to a charity.

Advice to Management

Send an HR rep out to talk with Home Delivery Techs(without supervisor or FSM). Some of the Field service managers really have no clue how to take care of their workers. The Seattle market lost a lot of good guys due to poor management. As I said, the product itself is great, but the company needs to take a look at some of its practices.

Sep 16, 2016 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the review – even the tough feedback. We care about our HD team and want to know about the challenges you face. Some of your feedback is difficult to respond to in this forum. So, if you ... More

"Cannibalizing Stores"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 3 years)

Pros

Possible good pay depending on store location. Good paid time off when business is going well.

Cons

Work life balance is horrible. Required to work every weekend. As the company grows the amount of stores in the area go up which means less traffic. Company wont reevaluate goals which means you wont make any money. In fact most people i know in the area are going completely broke waiting for the goals to go down.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, we are the front line and the most important part of your company and you treat us like garbage.

Jun 17, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

We know it is frustrating when traffic is slow, which can occur at certain times of the year in every industry. We know how important our front line team members are to our success, and sincerely ... More

"Home delivery, Not the best managed company I have worked for but seems to be the norm in the last 8 years."

Current Employee - Home Delivery in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Home Delivery in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the market, you don't have a supervisor breathing down your neck and can do the job without too much scrutiny as long as you are honest, but be aware that you are always being tracked electronically. Just do the right thing and no problems.

Cons

Don't plan anything personal on days you work, you cannot be sure to be done working by a certain time and if you request it you will be told you have to take the whole day off if you need to have an accommodation. You also will have no idea what you will be expected to do each day until late in the day before. You can only expect to work between 4 and 14 hours on the days you work. You can expect your delivery route to not make any sense, the scheduling system that the company uses does not group deliveries by location so they waste a lot of time and fuel by sending 2 men 2 to 3 hours away to the same area several days in a row. This has been my biggest frustration with the company, I hate waste even when I get paid more, it just isn't the smart way to run a business. I have brought up my ideas for being more efficient and have been told "we can't do that" or "our system doesn't do that but it will get better" for over 2 years. It has only gotten worse with the implementation of the new ERP which did not work and still doesn't after 7 months. It would appear that no one in the company actually reviews what has been sold and what would be logistically efficient in setting delivery schedules to be the most efficient. Recently the scheduling of deliveries has been delegated to the sales staff, it is in their best interest to schedule delivery asap without regard to efficiency.
    The job itself is not that difficult if you can carry heavy objects and are good with people. You can also expect to work with temporary labor employees many times per year, some are OK but many are temp workers for a reason and down right embarrassing to work with.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front lines dealing with our customers, maybe they know something and are not just low level labor. You have a loyal customer base but shot yourself in the foot with the ERP. The front line employees and customers deserve better. Upper management appears to be top heavy and continues to bring in people from outside the company when there may be qualified people within the company. (They may not want to live in Minnesota though)

Jun 3, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

We appreciate your feedback – we’re always looking for ways to optimize our routes to deliver a great customer experience…and ensure it’s a good experience for our employees, too. So, we just sent ... More