Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 9, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Had a difficult time maintaining a work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 41 reviews)

"Getting burned out"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Low pressure sales. Salary tends to be a lot better than what's being reflected on this page so far.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances. They pretend work-life balance is important but then request you work at least 50 hours (require 6 days a week at least once a month) and even though I already drive an hour to work just asked me if I'd switch to a different location an additional half hour away from my home. Micro-managing seems worse each month.

Advice to Management

Make goals lower so we can actually have some bonus money instead of just scraping a little bonus. A 40 hour work week would be nice! Actually audit sales to see if revenue is coming from where certain sales people are saying it is, or if you're just spending more money on extras that they're lying about actually increasing sales.

"Sales Person"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is fair, work is easy

Cons

work weekends and holidays, POS software is lame, customer service is weak. Company is growing in the direction of micro managing every aspect of the job. Company bought new phone system, worst I've ever encountered.

Advice to Management

You sell expensive mattresses, you have cheap software and phones. Stop being so cheap.

Feb 9, 2017 – Employer Brand

We appreciate you sharing your perspective. We've definitely heard a lot of feedback here on Glassdoor about our new system -- and we've talked openly about how challenging that transition was. Yours ... More

"good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Asheville, NC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

excellent product. excellent training program. benefits are above average. monthly contests with good prizes as incentive. not a real hard product to sell because most buyers have health issues.

Cons

very focused on frequent phone calls to previous owners. it borders on harassment. felt like a telemarketer. Bedding is very expensive and not always consistent in manufacturing. comes from China. Goals are unrealistic and difficult to consistently make. Had 4 managers in 2 years.

Jan 30, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. In particular, we want to express our concern that you had so many leadership changes within your time with us. That's definitely not ideal...nor ... More

"What a difference a year makes."

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Washington, DC

Pros

Flexible work schedule of 37.5 hours a week.
    Selling a well made product. It's a relatively easy job. A lot of money spent on advertising.

Cons

Goals are outrageous, about 30 to 40% over last year actual sales. Stores are overstaffed with the theory that more salespeople means more customers means more sales. In your down time you are expected to be on the phone harassing current owners to buy more beds and refer friends.

Advice to Management

1. Stop trying to turn salespeople into telemarketers.
    2. Stop raising goals so salespeople can't earn bonuses
    3. Eliminate district managers. They visit a showroom once or twice a month for an hour or two and do nothing but complain.
    4. Stop lowering the pay structure for salespeople while paying yourselves outrageous bonuses.

"Overall"

Former Employee - Sleep
    Former Employee - Sleep

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the company and product we sold.

Cons

Hours but that's retail not just there. Call lists for promotions (essentially cold calls).

Advice to Management

Let the call centers do the phone lists and allow the store personnel to focus on their customers. Promote from within instead of always hiring from outside.

Jan 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. Glad to hear you liked the company and product. We agree, hours within the retail industry can be a challenge and they aren't for everyone. As for ... More

"Great Product, but horrible work life balance."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few pros. The pay was ok, and during high volume months the pay was great. The discount on a bed is great. As a manager your staff is great if you make sure to hire well rounded people.

Cons

DM- get upset and play favorite even when their favorite does things against company policy they just act like they don't know because they don't want to worry about having to hire and train a new person.
    DM- blames lack of sales on staff and people even if no one is coming in due to weather.
    DM-also always on PTO when needed.
    Required to work 6+ days a week if store was not meeting goal, so there was 0 work life balance.
    New systems = many glitches that employees were to deal with but couldn't because HD wasnt there for questions to be answered, which would cause customers to yell at staff.
    Now SIQ is Requited on all M, I, and X series.... total crap, because many people don't like it.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to keep rolling things out without perfecting it first. ex. SIQ don't make it mandatory on most beds, because it still has glitches and doesn't work for many people who feel they wasted money on something they didn't need.
    Make a better work life balance environment for staff, and don't assume that just because some managers work 45 hrs that all do, because some DMs make some Mgrs. work more.
    Also please fix your shipping issues. When I worked as SM many times we would have delivery issues because they did not get the whole bed.

Nov 3, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the areas you found challenging and obviously frustrating while working at Sleep Number. I wish we would have had the opportunity to ... More

"Strengthen the Foundation"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Durham, NC

Pros

Sleep Number has an amazing, award-winning, innovative sleep system that needs to be in every home in America!

Cons

As a business, our support infrastructure is in serious need of shoring-up! The corporation seems to be so eager to release communication, promotions, marketing, operational systems/procedures and product innovations...that insufficient time is spent on quality control, workforce input and buy-in.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to suspend any further product development for 1-2 years and rather invest time in training and properly staffing and developing efficient systems for...customer service, home delivery and all operational systems of communication and supply.
    We have a tremendous product, but bad reviews of our technology-glitches and negative post-sale experiences are causing us to lose sales!

Oct 24, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your thoughts -- and (of course!) we agree that a Sleep Number bed should be in every home. The company has undergone a lot of change in the last few years. And we know we still ... More

"Potential to succeed, but very little wiggle room to fail"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Redding, CA

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, innovative business model. Overall a positive atmosphere from corporate and multi unit managers. Great bonus and commission structure.

Cons

Sales goal is expected to be hot regardless of traffic. If you do not see enough people in the door to make your plan, expect to be disciplined and answer for it. Somebody has to, and it obviously won't be upper management.

Advice to Management

Ability to read and recognize the business. If the opportunities are not there, but the store performs statistically well, it's not the fault of the staff, it's the fault of the company and its advertising strategy for missing plan. Getting rid of the staff does not solve the problem, it enhances it.

Oct 24, 2016 – Employer Brand

Glad to hear that the atmosphere is overall positive and that you're happy with the compensation structure. Also appreciate your feedback about traffic and sales goals. I've shared your comments ... More

10. "home delivery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

job fun u get tips, you see different houses the job is easy and quick learning u get a full excersise

Cons

the comapany need improvement in customer service

Oct 24, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about your experience at Sleep Number. -- Kellie

"Director VP General Manager"

Former Employee - Director Vice President General Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Director Vice President General Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a bed at discounted price.

Cons

Organization structure ineffective, but nice and flat in some cases.