Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Had a difficult time maintaining a work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 41 reviews)

1. "Growing company with Great Products"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, sales roles with uncapped earnings and co workers who feel like family

Cons

Fast paced organization where at times you need to learn on the fly. If you are driven with a positive attitude you can do quite well

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and bring in donuts more often

Feb 15, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the review. We hear from a lot of our team members that it feels like family here. Glad that's your experience as well! And we agree -- you can never go wrong with donuts. I'll spread the ... More

2. "I enjoy working there"

Pros

I really enjoy working there, the people there are really nice.

Cons

Might need more training for new employees

3. "I like it here"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission to improve lives allows everyone who works at the company to feel like part of a team and that they are part of something "bigger". We all live this mission and understand that we are making a positive impact on the world.

Cons

Unless one is willing/able to move to the home office in Minneapolis, advancement opportunities are limited past a certain point.

Advice to Management

Utilize technological innovations to improve working and advancement opportunities for employees who can't move to the home office the way we use technological innovations to improve our products and the lives of our customers.

Also, look into our health benefits package. I have always been on my spouse's benefits plan because it is more comprehensive and less expensive for better benefits.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the review and glad you're happy here. We definitely think our mission helps people feel like they're part of something bigger. And they are! Thanks for everything you do to make a ... More

"Best In Retail"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was conducted very professionally. Their training program is very through. The Sleep Number technology is propriatery and only sold by Sleep Number, so that helps you sell.

Cons

They don't let you handle customers until you know the product, sales process, and POS inside and out. This is good in the long run, but plan on just making your hourly rate for a couple of months when you start.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be creative in coming up with ways for awesome salespeople in low volumn stores to win more contests. Others it starts to get discouraging.

Jan 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review about your Sleep Number experience. Glad to hear you appreciate the training as well as our proprietary products. I've shared your feedback about sales ... More

"Current Employee"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

They hire very talented people. The company is run fairly lean so there is opportunity to personally drive action.

Cons

Typical communication silos. Slower recent growth. Given lean structure, difficulty in having a direct career path.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave your feedback. Glad you feel like you can personally drive action here at Sleep Number. That's certainly been my experience, too! Agree that we have some ... More

7. "Sleep Professional"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Eugene, OR

Pros

Sleep Number allows me to help folks sleep better, I really do believe in this product and the amazing sleep it allows. I personally own 6 of the Sleep Number beds in my home and travel trailer.. My parents also have one. I believe I will always have one.

Cons

My manager is not willing to give up much responsibility and actually frowns on us if we take on something she has not "blelssed" If we act on something when she is gone or on her day off, we didn't "partner" with her. If we don't do the task at hand, when she is gone, we are chastized for not taking action and getting it done, so she does not have to. Pretty crappy, but the way it rolls at our store. Our DM is amazing. Works hard and supports us in every way.

Advice to Management

Listen to the littke people. They are the window to the business.

Dec 1, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your feedback – both the good (we love that you're personally a fan of our products) as well as your concerns (about your store manager). I shared your review with both the ... More

8. "Amazing culture and people!"

Pros

Love the innovation and cutting edge product. The culture is a priority as well as employee engagement. Enjoy coming to work everyday!

Cons

As in any retail environment, business can be cyclical and challenging at times...which can impact employee earnings. But comp plans are fair and well designed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Nov 15, 2016 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the review and grateful for team members like you who enjoy coming to work everyday! Thanks for making a difference in the lives of our customers. -- Kellie

"Good Retail Job"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make good money if you can sell.

Cons

WAAAAAAY too many hours when you are a salaried employee.

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves in 3 Area's: Economical Fluctuations and Marketing. WORK IN THE TRENCHES FOR A FEW MONTHS WITH THE REGULAR SALES FORCE. Promote ONLY and I Mean ONLY from within the company.

10. "Wonderful Growth Opportunity"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as an intern

Pros

Everyone is willing to help you and questions are welcomed. As an intern, you're invited to all company events and team meetings, which is a pretty cool experience.

Cons

Honestly, there were very few cons. At times, the number of my tasks were limited so I couldn't rotate between things. I was just doing one thing at a time and would get another task when I finished.

Advice to Management

Continue what you're doing! Welcome questions and plan prior to make sure interns have enough to stay busy. Awesome job recognizing employees for good work.

11. "Home delivery technician"

Pros

Friendly co-workers and independent while working

Cons

Inconsistent hours, and working with temporary employees

Oct 21, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review. Not surprised to hear you like your co-workers and enjoy the independence of the home delivery role. We hear that a lot from the HD team! Also wanted to let ... More