Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Had a difficult time maintaining a work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 41 reviews)

1. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The most rewarding retail company I've ever worked for. The company genuinely cares about their associates. You can write your own salary based on your passion and drive. We own our business and are able to think outside the box to bring more traffic to our stores. There's a lot of tenure in our company and turnover is minimal.

Cons

This is a career, if you're looking for a job that doesn't hold you accountable, doesn't challenge you and a company who is constantly evolving, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to be AWESOME!

Feb 13, 2017 – Employer Brand

You think we should continue to be awesome? We actually think that YOU should continue to be AWESOME! Appreciate the review, but, more importantly, appreciate your positive attitude and the ... More

"Amazing Career!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, focused on customer experience AND employees. Innovative, vertically-integrated and always at the cutting edge of sleep and Products. Sleep Number encourages career development and highlights employees with an interactive recognition program.

Cons

Working for Sleep Number does take a lot of commitment. There are so many details, new innovations & technologies that it is not for everyone. I happen to love it! You have real purpose with this company and literally change lives daily.

Advice to Management

Communication is probably the only advise I could offer. There are so many emails, updates, flash and news messages that some things get lost in the mix during a busy work day. It's a lot to keep up with sometimes. I wish there was a way to better streamline messages and information.

Feb 6, 2017 – Employer Brand

WOW -- five stars always feels GREAT! We're so pleased that you're having a great experience with Sleep Number for all the reasons you called out. In particular, we're glad you love the pace of ... More

3. "Good company, great atmosphere"

Pros

Flexibility, the culture, communication and freedom. They work real hard at making work as comfortable as can be. Everyone is understanding

Cons

Nothing bad to say at all. Everyone was kind, understanding and wiling to help if there were any issues that needed to be looked in to

Advice to Management

None

Feb 7, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for letting us know about your Sleep Number experience. We appreciate your contributions during your time with us and wish you well in your next chapter. Sleep well. -- Kellie

5. "Retail Leadership"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a great vision and mission grounded in improving lives through innovative sleep technology.Great culture that encourages collaboration between business partners.

Cons

We are moving fast especially as it relates to how we use innovation to improve sleep. Some teams are slower to adopt and change and we need to help them understand the why's quicker.

Advice to Management

Keep leading with passion and integrity as we change the game in sleep innovation.
    Customer is at the enter of everything we do so continue to invest in our infrastructure to support that.

Feb 7, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the review – you made Andy’s day (our Chief Sales and Services Officer)! Andy agrees, we’re lucky to have a meaningful vision and mission that the entire team can get behind. He ... More

6. "You're in control of your own destiny"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number provides ample opportunity for those who are driven and self motivated to elevate their career. The training and resources provided truly set one up for success, if you choose to utilize them. Upper management is top-notch, with many passionate, inspirational individuals who have made Sleep Number what it is today. The CEO is a hyper-aware, fully dedicated, and sharply intelligent woman. Many talented, compassionate MSL's out there, really leading their teams to victory. Great bonus structure, better health insurance than most, solid PTO, quick turnaround for benefits to kick in. Lest we forget, improving lives for a living makes this a pretty incredible field to work in.

Cons

Management dedication ranges within the districts. Promotion from within really is dependent on their direct supervisors level of interest in coaching and development. The Boston DMA is fortunate in this regard.
    Taking time for your personal self and for recruiting can be challenging due to the combination of staffing matrix, required all-staff days and the frequency of promotions.

Advice to Management

Revise the matrix for all stores- a minimum of four people per location, regardless of volume. Restructure the pipelining process by allowing SM's a portal with which to access all applicants stemming from open position ads. When grooming your Hi Po's, be mindful that stretching them too thin can have a hazardous impact on their store's environment and productivity. Strong candidates can become disengaged after long periods of time in limbo while working toward a promotion.
    Keep up the great work with the recognition and reward of your amazing employees! Engagement is high and it's because this company truly cares for and stays close to their people. Sleep Number truly is a great place to call home.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Always nice to hear from people who are fired up about our mission of improving lives...and see the opportunity here to create their own future. We agree! I shared your ... More

7. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Great training. Awesome clients. Cool products.

Cons

Retail hours can both be nice as they are versatile but also hard to work during Holidays

Jan 30, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the review and feedback! We think our customers are awesome, too! -- Kellie

8. "Great Company and team leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

Great training and fairly easy sales process

Cons

Store can be slow but busy days time flys

Advice to Management

Keep your number up and product knowledge plus help management out

Jan 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave your feedback. Glad you had a positive experience working for Sleep Number. -- Kellie

9. "Fast Paced Growth Company"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

We are serious about becoming an international beloved brand with innovation and financial discipline

Cons

Hard for some to go from traditional business culture to CEO inspired simplicity and rapid change culture

Advice to Management

As a member of management we need to listen even better and help simplify work priorities

Dec 1, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for your 10 years of service and for stopping by to share your experience! We're definitely in growth mode and you're right -- the pace of change isn't for everyone. So, thanks for being ... More

10. "Good Place to Contract"

Current Employee - Contractor in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Contractor in Plymouth, MN

Pros

I have contracted at Select a number of times. And have always come back to work there when they ask. The culture there is quiet accommodating and their expectations are straight forward. Is my favorite place to contract.

Cons

Lot of moving parts supported by IT. That coupled with the large number of code change freezes due to sales events, can make for a bit of a rush on certain enhancements.

Advice to Management

Not Much advise for management. I don't envy their workload and scheduling concerns and complexity of operations.

Nov 10, 2016 – Employer Brand

Hey -- thanks for stopping by to leave this review. Great to hear you enjoy being part of the Sleep Number team. Thanks for your ongoing contributions! -- Kellie

11. "Supportive Learning Environment"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Individuals worked hard to find me jobs that I would like and could grow from. They were open to my questions and very willing to help me. A few individuals would check in with me multiple times a day.

Cons

When it gets super busy in the office, the intern world can get a little slower just because everyone has their heads down. If you plan ahead and ask for job the week before it all works out though

Advice to Management

Keep providing support to individuals and be certain to create a task list for interns

Sep 30, 2016 – Sr. Mgr - Talent Acquisition

So glad you enjoyed your experience interning at Sleep Number. We had a great group of students this year and you definitely left your mark on the organization. It sounds like you were surrounded by ... More