Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Had a difficult time maintaining a work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 41 reviews)

1. "Growing company with Great Products"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, sales roles with uncapped earnings and co workers who feel like family

Cons

Fast paced organization where at times you need to learn on the fly. If you are driven with a positive attitude you can do quite well

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and bring in donuts more often

Feb 15, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the review. We hear from a lot of our team members that it feels like family here. Glad that's your experience as well! And we agree -- you can never go wrong with donuts. I'll spread the ... More

2. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Enjoy the other Sales Associates. Innovative products.

Cons

Slow traffic, very few opportunities to sell. Lucky to see, 12 new opportunities a month, average ticket is $4500 and a 2% commission after your first $15,000 in sales. Commission increases after your reached goal. The location I worked, in the past 3 years, no one has reached goal. Carrot on a string. Don't waste your time.

3. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The most rewarding retail company I've ever worked for. The company genuinely cares about their associates. You can write your own salary based on your passion and drive. We own our business and are able to think outside the box to bring more traffic to our stores. There's a lot of tenure in our company and turnover is minimal.

Cons

This is a career, if you're looking for a job that doesn't hold you accountable, doesn't challenge you and a company who is constantly evolving, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to be AWESOME!

Feb 13, 2017 – Employer Brand

You think we should continue to be awesome? We actually think that YOU should continue to be AWESOME! Appreciate the review, but, more importantly, appreciate your positive attitude and the ... More

"Getting burned out"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Low pressure sales. Salary tends to be a lot better than what's being reflected on this page so far.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances. They pretend work-life balance is important but then request you work at least 50 hours (require 6 days a week at least once a month) and even though I already drive an hour to work just asked me if I'd switch to a different location an additional half hour away from my home. Micro-managing seems worse each month.

Advice to Management

Make goals lower so we can actually have some bonus money instead of just scraping a little bonus. A 40 hour work week would be nice! Actually audit sales to see if revenue is coming from where certain sales people are saying it is, or if you're just spending more money on extras that they're lying about actually increasing sales.

"Sales Person"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is fair, work is easy

Cons

work weekends and holidays, POS software is lame, customer service is weak. Company is growing in the direction of micro managing every aspect of the job. Company bought new phone system, worst I've ever encountered.

Advice to Management

You sell expensive mattresses, you have cheap software and phones. Stop being so cheap.

Feb 9, 2017 – Employer Brand

We appreciate you sharing your perspective. We've definitely heard a lot of feedback here on Glassdoor about our new system -- and we've talked openly about how challenging that transition was. Yours ... More

7. "Good company, great atmosphere"

Pros

Flexibility, the culture, communication and freedom. They work real hard at making work as comfortable as can be. Everyone is understanding

Cons

Nothing bad to say at all. Everyone was kind, understanding and wiling to help if there were any issues that needed to be looked in to

Advice to Management

None

Feb 7, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for letting us know about your Sleep Number experience. We appreciate your contributions during your time with us and wish you well in your next chapter. Sleep well. -- Kellie

8. "I enjoy working there"

Pros

I really enjoy working there, the people there are really nice.

Cons

Might need more training for new employees

"Amazing Career!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL

Pros

Great pay, focused on customer experience AND employees. Innovative, vertically-integrated and always at the cutting edge of sleep and Products. Sleep Number encourages career development and highlights employees with an interactive recognition program.

Cons

Working for Sleep Number does take a lot of commitment. There are so many details, new innovations & technologies that it is not for everyone. I happen to love it! You have real purpose with this company and literally change lives daily.

Advice to Management

Communication is probably the only advise I could offer. There are so many emails, updates, flash and news messages that some things get lost in the mix during a busy work day. It's a lot to keep up with sometimes. I wish there was a way to better streamline messages and information.

Feb 6, 2017 – Employer Brand

WOW -- five stars always feels GREAT! We're so pleased that you're having a great experience with Sleep Number for all the reasons you called out. In particular, we're glad you love the pace of ... More

10. "Retail Leadership"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Company has a great vision and mission grounded in improving lives through innovative sleep technology.Great culture that encourages collaboration between business partners.

Cons

We are moving fast especially as it relates to how we use innovation to improve sleep. Some teams are slower to adopt and change and we need to help them understand the why's quicker.

Advice to Management

Keep leading with passion and integrity as we change the game in sleep innovation.
    Customer is at the enter of everything we do so continue to invest in our infrastructure to support that.

Feb 7, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the review – you made Andy’s day (our Chief Sales and Services Officer)! Andy agrees, we’re lucky to have a meaningful vision and mission that the entire team can get behind. He ... More

11. "You're in control of your own destiny"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Sleep Number provides ample opportunity for those who are driven and self motivated to elevate their career. The training and resources provided truly set one up for success, if you choose to utilize them. Upper management is top-notch, with many passionate, inspirational individuals who have made Sleep Number what it is today. The CEO is a hyper-aware, fully dedicated, and sharply intelligent woman. Many talented, compassionate MSL's out there, really leading their teams to victory. Great bonus structure, better health insurance than most, solid PTO, quick turnaround for benefits to kick in. Lest we forget, improving lives for a living makes this a pretty incredible field to work in.

Cons

Management dedication ranges within the districts. Promotion from within really is dependent on their direct supervisors level of interest in coaching and development. The Boston DMA is fortunate in this regard.
    Taking time for your personal self and for recruiting can be challenging due to the combination of staffing matrix, required all-staff days and the frequency of promotions.

Advice to Management

Revise the matrix for all stores- a minimum of four people per location, regardless of volume. Restructure the pipelining process by allowing SM's a portal with which to access all applicants stemming from open position ads. When grooming your Hi Po's, be mindful that stretching them too thin can have a hazardous impact on their store's environment and productivity. Strong candidates can become disengaged after long periods of time in limbo while working toward a promotion.
    Keep up the great work with the recognition and reward of your amazing employees! Engagement is high and it's because this company truly cares for and stays close to their people. Sleep Number truly is a great place to call home.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Always nice to hear from people who are fired up about our mission of improving lives...and see the opportunity here to create their own future. We agree! I shared your ... More