Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • I was hired under the pretense of a better work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 40 reviews)

"Amazing Career!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, focused on customer experience AND employees. Innovative, vertically-integrated and always at the cutting edge of sleep and Products. Sleep Number encourages career development and highlights employees with an interactive recognition program.

Cons

Working for Sleep Number does take a lot of commitment. There are so many details, new innovations & technologies that it is not for everyone. I happen to love it! You have real purpose with this company and literally change lives daily.

Advice to Management

Communication is probably the only advise I could offer. There are so many emails, updates, flash and news messages that some things get lost in the mix during a busy work day. It's a lot to keep up with sometimes. I wish there was a way to better streamline messages and information.

Feb 6, 2017 – Employer Brand

WOW -- five stars always feels GREAT! We're so pleased that you're having a great experience with Sleep Number for all the reasons you called out. In particular, we're glad you love the pace of ... More

2. "Toxic"

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Some good people, but management and product are not worth the heartache. I wish I had read these reviews before taking the job

Cons

Toxic Environment. Managers use Political decision making. Workers are not valued or considered when making policy or process changes.

Advice to Management

Be honest, and listen to your teams. Why have a employment satisfaction survey if everyone is told to lie and not be honest?

3. "Good company, great atmosphere"

Pros

Flexibility, the culture, communication and freedom. They work real hard at making work as comfortable as can be. Everyone is understanding

Cons

Nothing bad to say at all. Everyone was kind, understanding and wiling to help if there were any issues that needed to be looked in to

Advice to Management

None

Feb 7, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for letting us know about your Sleep Number experience. We appreciate your contributions during your time with us and wish you well in your next chapter. Sleep well. -- Kellie

5. "I enjoy working there"

Pros

I really enjoy working there, the people there are really nice.

Cons

Might need more training for new employees

6. "Retail Leadership"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a great vision and mission grounded in improving lives through innovative sleep technology.Great culture that encourages collaboration between business partners.

Cons

We are moving fast especially as it relates to how we use innovation to improve sleep. Some teams are slower to adopt and change and we need to help them understand the why's quicker.

Advice to Management

Keep leading with passion and integrity as we change the game in sleep innovation.
    Customer is at the enter of everything we do so continue to invest in our infrastructure to support that.

Feb 7, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the review – you made Andy’s day (our Chief Sales and Services Officer)! Andy agrees, we’re lucky to have a meaningful vision and mission that the entire team can get behind. He ... More

"Sales Associate"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Enjoy the other Sales Associates. Innovative products.

Cons

Slow traffic, very few opportunities to sell. Lucky to see, 12 new opportunities a month, average ticket is $4500 and a 2% commission after your first $15,000 in sales. Commission increases after your reached goal. The location I worked, in the past 3 years, no one has reached goal. Carrot on a string. Don't waste your time.

Mar 8, 2017 – Employer Brand

Glad to hear you enjoy your team and products, but definitely sorry to hear about your overall experience. We do have stores of varying size and sales volume, which is why we try to set goals ... More

"It has become a sad place to work"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Moosic, PA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The core product is like no other. The actual sales process is thorough and gives the illusion that the company truly wants to improve lives through better sleep.... dig deeper and you realize it is only to make the higher ups in corporate richer with no regard for those at the bottom of the "food chain."

Cons

The extraneous products, the pay structure, the business model, the claim that concerns are anonymous, the way the company devalues employees, delivery on promises to customers post sale, Siebel still has huge issues after 17 months of implementation, COMMUNICATION IS HORRENDOUS THROUGHOUT THE COMPANY, expectations indicated by the inflated and all but unreachable goals.

Advice to Management

I really can't offer any more advice than I have offered and been shot down about because of the politics involved in this company. Sadly, it wasn't always like this. The company seemed to care about its employees and customers 8 and a half years ago when I was hired as a Store Manager. Throughout my career at Sleep Number, I was a valued member of a team, successful in running a store and assisting my District Managers when the opportunities presented themselves. Two of my employees were promoted to managers and I trained or assisted in training 2 other successful managers.

Because of personality differences and healthy differences of opinion, I have been passed over for 2 promotions back to manager after I transferred to another district as a Sleep Expert (a personal decision made to relocate to another area of the country at my request.)

In the short time I have been in my newly assigned district, I have seen decisions made based on politics and personality, not performance. I have seen managers and stores excel by breaking rules and policy, I have assisted in the training of my immediate manager hired from outside the company because of the aforementioned differences I have with my District Manager and helped set up a new store for another manager hired from the outside. A store in which I expressed an interest in running.

Many will read this and think that I was, perhaps, not qualified to run a store. My history as a store manager would prove otherwise.

If you work for this company, you are only as valuable as your last sale. The tides can turn for you in a Nee York minute. Enjoy it while it lasts, one wrong move and you will be gone. Have another option on the back burner...you will need it.

I left the company of my own free will to seek greener pastures. No job or company is perfect, but, this one is going the wrong way.

Mar 8, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to share your experience. It’s clearly disappointing to us that you left with this impression of Sleep Number. As an eight-year employee, you no doubt had a variety experiences ... More

"Getting burned out"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

Pros

Low pressure sales. Salary tends to be a lot better than what's being reflected on this page so far.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances. They pretend work-life balance is important but then request you work at least 50 hours (require 6 days a week at least once a month) and even though I already drive an hour to work just asked me if I'd switch to a different location an additional half hour away from my home. Micro-managing seems worse each month.

Advice to Management

Make goals lower so we can actually have some bonus money instead of just scraping a little bonus. A 40 hour work week would be nice! Actually audit sales to see if revenue is coming from where certain sales people are saying it is, or if you're just spending more money on extras that they're lying about actually increasing sales.

Mar 1, 2017 – Employer Brand

We really appreciate you sharing your perspective and are definitely concerned that you’re feeling burned out. Some of your comments are hard to address in this forum, so we encourage you to reach ... More

"Sales Person"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

Pros

Pay is fair, work is easy

Cons

work weekends and holidays, POS software is lame, customer service is weak. Company is growing in the direction of micro managing every aspect of the job. Company bought new phone system, worst I've ever encountered.

Advice to Management

You sell expensive mattresses, you have cheap software and phones. Stop being so cheap.

Feb 9, 2017 – Employer Brand

We appreciate you sharing your perspective. We've definitely heard a lot of feedback here on Glassdoor about our new system -- and we've talked openly about how challenging that transition was. Yours ... More

11. "You're in control of your own destiny"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number provides ample opportunity for those who are driven and self motivated to elevate their career. The training and resources provided truly set one up for success, if you choose to utilize them. Upper management is top-notch, with many passionate, inspirational individuals who have made Sleep Number what it is today. The CEO is a hyper-aware, fully dedicated, and sharply intelligent woman. Many talented, compassionate MSL's out there, really leading their teams to victory. Great bonus structure, better health insurance than most, solid PTO, quick turnaround for benefits to kick in. Lest we forget, improving lives for a living makes this a pretty incredible field to work in.

Cons

Management dedication ranges within the districts. Promotion from within really is dependent on their direct supervisors level of interest in coaching and development. The Boston DMA is fortunate in this regard.
    Taking time for your personal self and for recruiting can be challenging due to the combination of staffing matrix, required all-staff days and the frequency of promotions.

Advice to Management

Revise the matrix for all stores- a minimum of four people per location, regardless of volume. Restructure the pipelining process by allowing SM's a portal with which to access all applicants stemming from open position ads. When grooming your Hi Po's, be mindful that stretching them too thin can have a hazardous impact on their store's environment and productivity. Strong candidates can become disengaged after long periods of time in limbo while working toward a promotion.
    Keep up the great work with the recognition and reward of your amazing employees! Engagement is high and it's because this company truly cares for and stays close to their people. Sleep Number truly is a great place to call home.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Always nice to hear from people who are fired up about our mission of improving lives...and see the opportunity here to create their own future. We agree! I shared your ... More